Official..Southampton appoint Mark Hughes.

saint lard

Maybe wait until we see improvements in results and performances before making these judgements.

I’m not sure we should because Pellegrino was bloody useless.

It’s well known that Palace were poaching the only option Reed had after Tuchel fell through.

I just hope he doesn’t make the same mistake again.

Maybe wait until we see improvements in results and performances before making these judgements.
Why? Hughes winning every game or losing every game makes no difference to the fact that Pellegrino was a terrible manager for us.

Interesting piece by Oliver Kay in the Times this morning talking about Hughes ability to build a team over the long term, contrasting that with scant evidence that he can make an instant impact. Saying he's not a "new manager bounce" kind of manager.

He then lists his "starts" at clubs and claims he never gets more than a point a game at the start.

Although reading it again now I write this I see he's decided to define his "start" as the first 8 games for Blackburn, the first 11 games at Fulham, the first 18 games for City, back to the first 8 for QPR, and then how about we say, well, the first 11 games again for Stoke.

Just fudging the number of games so he can get to a point a game or less so he can make his point.

A classic move known around these parts as the Heisingberg manoeuvre.

Well I am glad I read it again to relay it on here because clearly it's a load of old sh it.

Journalists, eh?

Accept his premise that he is better over the long term, and I still think Hughes won't have much to actually do to improve us.

Edited by CB Fry

Interesting piece by Oliver Kay in the Times this morning talking about Hughes ability to build a team over the long term, contrasting that with scant evidence that he can make an instant impact. Saying he's not a "new manager bounce" kind of manager.

He then lists his "starts" at clubs and claims he never gets more than a point a game at the start.

Although reading it again now I write this I see he's decided to define his "start" as the first 8 games for Blackburn, the first 11 games at Fulham, the first 18 games for City, back to the first 8 for QPR, and then how about we say, well, the first 11 games again for Stoke.

Just fudging the number of games so he can get to a point a game or less so he can make his point.

Well I am glad I read it again to relay it on here because clearly it's a load of old sh it.

Journalists, eh?

Accept his premise that he is better over the long term, and I still think Hughes won't have much to actually do to improve us.

Mark Schwartzer was saying he is quite quiet in changing room and so not sort who will make an instant impact. They’ll review that after our 4-0 win tomorrow

Mark Schwartzer was saying he is quite quiet in changing room and so not sort who will make an instant impact. They’ll review that after our 4-0 win tomorrow
Indeed - Hughes will leave it to Eddie Nez who it has been said is a good coach who runs interesting sessions. So let's hope the impact comes from the culture that Hughes and his assistants bring.

He's never had an 8 match deal before so let's hope that concentrates everyone's minds.

well you know what they say- there is a first for everything.

I have a good feeling about Hughes in the short term. Feels a bit like Strachan to me.

The new style of communication and apparent honesty seems to have resonated with the fans....hopefully it will do so with the players.

If he can instill some basic discipline and a more positive attitude to games then we've got a very good chance now. Really looking forward to seeing how we set up and play against Wigan.

Journalists, eh?

I imagine it would be quite hard to make us worse it would take some epic ****tyness from Hughes not to create some sort of short term improvement at the very least.

After the last two idiots I don't think we need a "hairdryer" type manager. We need someone who talks sense, that the players understand what he wants and who lets us play a more adventurous style. We have the players to play in a better style, they just need to be encouraged to not be so cautious. There are other ways to get your message across than shouting and screaming....also Getting a rollicking if they try a forward pass for example and it goes wrong won't help IMO.

I am not sure he can save us- I really hope he can- however before his appointment I was absolutely 100% resigned to us going down so whatever the results now it can't be worse...I hope he gets us playing a different way, gets the ball forward quicker, gets some movement and if we then get hammered..so what? There's Nothing lost...

Let's just get behind the boys! COYR!

Whilst he’s not normally a voice kind of manageecthe situation is so different this time. Not even because he has to get a bounce butmore because of what has gone before. For example going to stoke to change the long term playing style isn’t going to get a quick bounce. Here however there are options for changes to style that can be implemented easily and have a possibliy if a bounce. He has mentioned two things that interest me most, the first has been picked up on lots which is that if intensity, it should be possible to get that up quickly without too much shouting after the drab nonsense before. The other comment I was very interested in was that about the numbers involved when attacking, Ive always been a fan of a style of football that goes for it when the time is right and that means crossing to three people not one person. It’s arguably subtle when done properly but an easy fix I think can make a huge difference. Can leave you open I suppose but the changes to style to cover people are simple in the short term. If it works he can increase he subtlety over time. Hopeful we see a few simple changes that make a difference.

Journalists, eh?

That is classic heisenberg to be fair

After the last two idiots I don't think we need a "hairdryer" type manager. We need someone who talks sense, that the players understand what he wants and who lets us play a more adventurous style. We have the players to play in a better style, they just need to be encouraged to not be so cautious. There are other ways to get your message across than shouting and screaming....also Getting a rollicking if they try a forward pass for example and it goes wrong won't help IMO.

I am not sure he can save us- I really hope he can- however before his appointment I was absolutely 100% resigned to us going down so whatever the results now it can't be worse...I hope he gets us playing a different way, gets the ball forward quicker, gets some movement and if we then get hammered..so what? There's Nothing lost...

Let's just get behind the boys! COYR!

Absolutely this. Well said!

“We don’t like playing at home at present due to the atmosphere! I’ve played before in a team where the fans were on the players backs. I’m used to it but many of the younger players are nervous of making mistakes”

These are the words from one of the first team squad. Don’t bother asking which one. Sees MH as a positive.

“We don’t like playing at home at present due to the atmosphere! I’ve played before in a team where the fans were on the players backs. I’m used to it but many of the younger players are nervous of making mistakes”

These are the words from one of the first team squad. Don’t bother asking which one. Sees MH as a positive.

In that case it's a shame they didn't like playing at Newcastle then. Easy excuse.

They need to man up.

In that case it's a shame they didn't like playing at Newcastle then. Easy excuse.

They need to man up.

I wasn’t putting the comment here as if I agreed with his words, I don’t. I agree, grow a pair!

I wasn’t putting the comment here as if I agreed with his words, I don’t. I agree, grow a pair!

I guess the player was a little too professional to say what he thought about MP's regime?? Would be interesting to know what the players felt of it all now that he's gone.

On the players backs really? The main atmosphere at SMS this season has been general indifference normally any support the fans give has been drained out them by the dire crap on the pitch but even when things have gone to ****e there has been very little anger on display.. The players have got off pretty easy IMO. I read an interview with much maligned Eric Black, last season, who said that modern era players are always looking for an excuse to underperform.

Source? (Horse's mouth vs Twitter rumour.... Or somewhere in between?)

Cheers

I guess the player was a little too professional to say what he thought about MP's regime?? Would be interesting to know what the players felt of it all now that he's gone.

Not a single player I can see has posted anything on social media about MP. Not even a single platitude or typical media fed piece of bland....

Says it all

Not a single player I can see has posted anything on social media about MP. Not even a single platitude or typical media fed piece of bland....

Says it all

Whilst I'm sure that they would all love to have their say, I suspect that they are not allowed to comment.

Edited by Katalinic
crap use of English

Whilst I'm sure that they would all love to have their say, I suspect that they are not allowed to comment.

Exactly.

No-one has thanked MoPe for his positive contribution to their development, or wished him well. The silence is extremely telling.

Just had another look at Pellegrinos wiki page why on earth did we employ him in the first place. One season here, one season there if we really employed him because he got a team to a cup final the season before then the board have to have a long hard look at themselves. At least Puel had some sort of pedigree

Just had another look at Pellegrinos wiki page why on earth did we employ him in the first place. One season here, one season there if we really employed him because he got a team to a cup final the season before then the board have to have a long hard look at themselves. At least Puel had some sort of pedigree

It took a bit of effort to get enthusiastic about him at the time. I remember that Guillem Balagué pronounced that Pellegrino was the dog’s ********, which helped.

It was a mistake to hire him, and keeping him on this far into the season was an even bigger mistake.

If he walks the walk as well as he talks the talk this might just work! Seems to be good mates with Cedric which should help the lads confidence, didn't he try to sign him for Stoke a couple of years ago. Obviously they have met before on favourable terms. Imagine, a player choosing us over somebody else.

Right now we want positivity, a fresh start for all and minds fully focused on the job ahead that needs to be done. This is not the time to rake over the ashes of other people's failings or for self pity. No doubt Ryan (as captain designate) will have a few private conversations about life under the old regime but not sure what good that will do now that the old regime has been swept aside.

They and we must move on.

The home atmosphere is crap and some players do get a hell of a lot more stick than others so little surprise they have noticed it and don't especially love playing there.

You'll be amazed at the atmosphere when Chelsea come down here after Easter if Hughes pulls off a Cup win and beats the Hammers.

The home atmosphere is crap and some players do get a hell of a lot more stick than others so little surprise they have noticed it and don't especially love playing there.
Much too easy to blame the fans as always. I defy any set of fans to sit through the performances of the last couple of years at home and not have the exact same atmosphere. It's been almost intolerable.

Rod Liddle in The Sunday Times today demonstrates his complete lack of understanding about the game:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ive-been-saying-it-all-season-but-ill-say-it-again-southampton-were-utterly-bonkers-to-get-rid-of-claudepuel-w7pml8msc (Paywall)

“I’ve been saying it all season but I’ll say it again — Southampton were utterly bonkers to get rid of Claude Puel”

“With eight games to play last season Southampton, who had narrowly lost a League Cup final to Manchester United, were sitting quite comfortably in ninth place in the Premier League with 40 points on the board and a goal difference of zero. They were to finish a very respectable eighth, albeit 30 points below fourth place.

The powers that be at St Mary’s took a good long look at this achievement and decided that the best thing to do would be to sack the manager, Claude Puel. There was no great opposition from the fans: Puel was regarded as inculcating in the Saints a certain continental boredom, the ball passed around in anodyne fashion in the middle of the park, the opposing goalkeeper rarely inconvenienced. Indeed, under Puel Southampton scored only 41 goals in 38 games. When you are a fan, and perhaps a chairman, then you are apt to believe that any change must be for the better. And so boring Puel was evicted and in his place came the more flamboyant Mauricio Pellegrino. What a transformation he effected!

Southampton are now scoring less than one goal per game and have a negative goal difference of 15. They have 12 fewer points than at this stage last year and, at start of play yesterday, sat one place and one point above the relegation trapdoor.

I wonder if those fans now yearn for a bit of boredom. They may well get it, because Pellegrino has been sacked and, via the increasingly absurd managerial merry-go-round of the Premier League, in comes Mark Hughes, whose teams are of course noted more for their obduracy than their flair. It may just save them — in which case, Sparky will get a bonus of £2m. (I wonder what amount of money would be an acceptable bonus to save West Brom?) Meanwhile, Puel is at Leicester City, safe from relegation in eighth place and with, yes, 40 points. There is a symmetry in all things.”

and he rambles on.

‘Yearn for a bit of boredom’? What a dickhead. I don’t pay nearly £1500 a year to get bored. I want entertainment, excitement, thrills, the occasional feel-good feeling.

Comments like his typify the attitude in the media that league position is all that matters, that the Premier League is everything and that the other leagues are nothing. I have always hated clubs like Man United but at least they were never as boring as they are today.

Rod Liddle in The Sunday Times today demonstrates his complete lack of understanding about the game:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ive-been-saying-it-all-season-but-ill-say-it-again-southampton-were-utterly-bonkers-to-get-rid-of-claudepuel-w7pml8msc (Paywall)

“I’ve been saying it all season but I’ll say it again — Southampton were utterly bonkers to get rid of Claude Puel”

“With eight games to play last season Southampton, who had narrowly lost a League Cup final to Manchester United, were sitting quite comfortably in ninth place in the Premier League with 40 points on the board and a goal difference of zero. They were to finish a very respectable eighth, albeit 30 points below fourth place.

The powers that be at St Mary’s took a good long look at this achievement and decided that the best thing to do would be to sack the manager, Claude Puel. There was no great opposition from the fans: Puel was regarded as inculcating in the Saints a certain continental boredom, the ball passed around in anodyne fashion in the middle of the park, the opposing goalkeeper rarely inconvenienced. Indeed, under Puel Southampton scored only 41 goals in 38 games. When you are a fan, and perhaps a chairman, then you are apt to believe that any change must be for the better. And so boring Puel was evicted and in his place came the more flamboyant Mauricio Pellegrino. What a transformation he effected!

Southampton are now scoring less than one goal per game and have a negative goal difference of 15. They have 12 fewer points than at this stage last year and, at start of play yesterday, sat one place and one point above the relegation trapdoor.

I wonder if those fans now yearn for a bit of boredom. They may well get it, because Pellegrino has been sacked and, via the increasingly absurd managerial merry-go-round of the Premier League, in comes Mark Hughes, whose teams are of course noted more for their obduracy than their flair. It may just save them — in which case, Sparky will get a bonus of £2m. (I wonder what amount of money would be an acceptable bonus to save West Brom?) Meanwhile, Puel is at Leicester City, safe from relegation in eighth place and with, yes, 40 points. There is a symmetry in all things.”

and he rambles on.

‘Yearn for a bit of boredom’? What a dickhead. I don’t pay nearly £1500 a year to get bored. I want entertainment, excitement, thrills, the occasional feel-good feeling.

Comments like his typify the attitude in the media that league position is all that matters, that the Premier League is everything and that the other leagues are nothing. I have always hated clubs like Man United but at least they were never as boring as they are today.

Goals are for luvvies and the LGBTTQQIAAP crowd.

Indeed, under Puel Southampton scored only 41 goals in 38 games.

Which is made even worse by the fact that the goals were skewed by a handful of high scoring games against crap teams. 3 goals against Leicester, Palace, Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham and 4 against Watford and Sunderland.

That leaves 18 goals in the other 31 games.

and he rambles on.

This is just the the 'little clubs should accept their lot and not upset the apple cart' type attitude that exists in the media.

Our board gambled and thought we could have done better (and were probably right), if we got a manager in who made us over perform then we might have skirted the top 6, even the top 4 and that would upset the status quo, which everyone likes.

You see the same for West Brom, their fans were criticised for moaning about Pulis and his boring style by some in the media, because god forbid paying football fans want their clubs to entertain them.

The media is totally top 4/6 centric.

Which is made even worse by the fact that the goals were skewed by a handful of high scoring games against crap teams. 3 goals against Leicester, Palace, Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham and 4 against Watford and Sunderland.

That leaves 18 goals in the other 31 games.

So what are you saying you'd rather have seen lots more entertaining 1-0s or expected us to win by several goals every game last season? How many teams score 2 or more goals every game not many and certainly not teams that relay on Shane Long and Jrod as strikers. Seems a little churlish to complain about scoring 3 goals or more 7 times in one season.

This is just the the 'little clubs should accept their lot and not upset the apple cart' type attitude that exists in the media.

Our board gambled and thought we could have done better (and were probably right), if we got a manager in who made us over perform then we might have skirted the top 6, even the top 4 and that would upset the status quo, which everyone likes.

You see the same for West Brom, their fans were criticised for moaning about Pulis and his boring style by some in the media, because god forbid paying football fans want their clubs to entertain them.

Totally agree with all of this, the media criticise us for selling players, saying we're not ambitious enough. Then as soon as we get a decent player they all come out selling him for us, stories appear about how one of the big clubs should buy him, the pundits telling anyone who will listen how such and such player is too good for liitle old southampton. I'm sure we'd love to keep these players but it's difficult when the media are telling anyone who'll listen how they deserve their chance at a big club.

At the end of the day, the media are more than happy to hawk our players around for us and they love nothing more than a top team getting one of the lesser teams best player, the premier league are happy for this as they use the top teams to sell their brand, the rest of us are just an ionconvenience to how they wish the show to play out

Not sure those are Liddle's 'politics' on the game. Quite the opposite in fact.

So what are you saying you'd rather have seen lots more entertaining 1-0s or expected us to win by several goals every game last season? How many teams score 2 or more goals every game not many and certainly not teams that relay on Shane Long and Jrod as strikers. Seems a little churlish to complain about scoring 3 goals or more 7 times in one season.

In a season that's not particularly impressive, even for a club our size. We had 10 games where we scored 3 or more the season before but they were backed up by other impressive results like beating Spurs and Utd away.

What I'm saying is 80% of our football under Puel was torturous crap. As in, a goal every other game crap.

In a season that's not particularly impressive, even for a club our size. We had 10 games where we scored 3 or more the season before but they were backed up by other impressive results like beating Spurs and Utd away.

What I'm saying is 80% of our football under Puel was torturous crap. As in, a goal every other game crap.

that would be the season we had Victor, Mane and Pelle its like comparing apples and oranges

The main question is, if Hughes does well from now until May, and assuming he can be the kind that throws his weight around inside the club (while the last two managers just put up with whatever and barely raised a word, or well Puel did and was sacked), will he be backed with funds in the transfer window?