Official..Southampton appoint Mark Hughes.

saint lard

Something seems right about this appointment.

Feels a cloud has been lifted.

Feeling more positive.

UTS

We were at the point where anyone would be better so positive feelings are no surprise. Hughes has a nice honeymoon period at the moment where he is great by virtue of not being MoPe.

Right now we want positivity, a fresh start for all and minds fully focused on the job ahead that needs to be done. This is not the time to rake over the ashes of other people's failings or for self pity. No doubt Ryan (as captain designate) will have a few private conversations about life under the old regime but not sure what good that will do now that the old regime has been swept aside.

They and we must move on.

Not completely, unfortunately.

skysports-guido-carrillo-southampton-premier-league-football_4215105.jpg?20180126123830

A bit harsh. How many games has he played for us, 5 or 6? Ok, hasn’t hit the ground running, but new club, new country, tough league, let’s give him a chance. Looks like Hughes is going to be more direct, with possibly 2 up top, he should be less isolated, so let’s give the lad a few more games before we completely write him off.

According to a mate I caught up with this morning, Joey Barton was pontificating on Talkshoite that Hughes wasn't a man manager when he was his boss at QPR, hardly spoke to him. Like I said to my mate MH could probably see right through Barton and probably felt his efforts were better spent elsewhere.

As an aside I saw Joey Barton at the Wentworth Golf PGA ProAm event, just about every Celeb interacted with the spectators when they were close to them with a smile, except Barton who had a face like a smacked backside.

According to a mate I caught up with this morning, Joey Barton was pontificating on Talkshoite that Hughes wasn't a man manager when he was his boss at QPR, hardly spoke to him. Like I said to my mate MH could probably see right through Barton and probably felt his efforts were better spent elsewhere.

As an aside I saw Joey Barton at the Wentworth Golf PGA ProAm event, just about every Celeb interacted with the spectators when they were close to them with a smile, except Barton who had a face like a smacked backside.

Yep, saw this 2.5 minute clip on twitter. Pretty scathing about MH but then with this sort of thing who do you believe? Barton is a troubled soul without doubt but he does talk sense from time to time too. Who knows, but it's pretty damning. I guess so long as we stay up it's not relevant anyway. Is he right for the long term IF we stay up....

Joey Barton has publicly discussed his hatred for Mark Hughes on numerous occasions over the years. If I remember rightly, Hughes offered to fight him when the pair were at QPR (may have been the other way round, not sure) as Joey documented in his book and in numerous interviews. I don't doubt there's some truth in what Joey says, but I wouldn't consider his view on Hughes' managerial ability to be a particularly fair one.

It seems that the majority of the media are desperate for him to fail, and have labelled him as another failed manager doing the managerial merry go round.

But very true never the less and if he was the WBA manager no doubt you would agree

Joey Barton has publicly discussed his hatred for Mark Hughes on numerous occasions over the years. If I remember rightly, Hughes offered to fight him when the pair were at QPR (may have been the other way round, not sure) as Joey documented in his book and in numerous interviews. I don't doubt there's some truth in what Joey says, but I wouldn't consider his view on Hughes' managerial ability to be a particularly fair one.

Hughes is rubbish because Joey Barton says so, FFS, thats like respecting the opinion of Paul Merson or Robbie Savage. No, on second thoughts its worse than even those two.

Hughes is rubbish because Joey Barton says so, FFS, thats like respecting the opinion of Paul Merson or Robbie Savage. No, on second thoughts its worse than even those two.

......Back to the Golf at Wentworth: by comparison to Barton, Robbie Savage posed for as many photos and signed as many autographs as he could without holding up play.

Actually my opinion of Savage improved just before the Coventry promotion game when he and Strachan were walking round the pitch to go up to the commentary spot at the back of the Kingsland. As they walked in front of the Itchen stand people spotted WGS and stood to applaud him, Robbie Savage quickly noted who it was for and started slowing down leaving Wee Gordon to take the appreciation of the crowd on his own.......................... still spouts a load of cobblers at times!! :D

Joey Barton? Who takes is word for anything? When he was at QPR didn't his behaviour cost the club dear? No wonder Mark Hughes was disappointd in him, is there any club or manager that has not been let down by him. I haven't liked Hughes in the past but I am sure he is a good professional, which Joey certainly isn't.

Joey Barton is a WUM, on social media, on the radio, on the pitch. Surprised that Talksport hire him from time to time considering they have spent many an hour discussing his numerous f*ck ups including betting on football matches whilst still playing.

Something seems right about this appointment.

Feels a cloud has been lifted.

Feeling more positive.

UTS

Yep, agree. Hughes does feel like a good fit, based on his interviews and the game yesterday. I'd be inclined to extend his contact regardless how this season ends up.

Barton is not all there and struggles with self reflection and mea culpa, plus Hughes would have murdered him in a fight and almost certainly at Trivial Pursuit!...

As a person who would earn my respect - now let me see - Joey Barton or Mark Hughes????

Ummmm

Who would I rather managed my team???

Who would I want nowhere near us in any capacity ???

Who cares what Barton thinks or says it’s normally vile anyway.... Lowers the credibility of Talk Sport to a new level of dumb rating....

I hope it spurs Hughes on to succeed even more...

Eight 5-0 defeats in the league leading to relegation and you'd give him a new contract? Surely there has to be some bar for him to reach to earn a new deal!?
On the other hand, eight 5-0 wins plus the Cup and I'd probably give him a chance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It feels a bit similar to back when we went into administration and people were saying Mark Fry (the administrator) was a breath of fresh air, basically because hit the low bar of speaking relatively plain English and not bull****ting too much.

Is that even plain English? Or just bvllsh it? Makes no sense to me..! ;)

Barton is not all there and struggles with self reflection and mea culpa, plus Hughes would have murdered him in a fight and almost certainly at Trivial Pursuit!...

Barton is half a Scouse brain thinking he's a full Scouse brain, either way he isn't exactly blessed with the grey matter. His pitch as the 'thinking man's footballer/pundit' is f**king hilarious. Got to love the way Talk Sh**e buy into it also.

Barton is half a Scouse brain thinking he's a full Scouse brain, either way he isn't exactly blessed with the grey matter. His pitch as the 'thinking man's footballer/pundit' is f**king hilarious. Got to love the way Talk Sh**e buy into it also.
The fact that he now has a gig on talk sport is less than surprising really given the general tone of the station. But the fact that the BBC once saw fit to have him as a panellists on Question Time once is bloody unforgivable. Mental.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

One thing I have just thought about, is don't Stoke always start every season really badly? Not sure if that suggests problems getting tactics over straight away, difficulty bedding in new players or finding the right system, or struggles with getting fitness levels up to standard etc? Or maybe just a coincidence and it means nothing.

Watching the Palace v Victims it's so frustrating that we stuck with the clueless Pellegrino for so long.

Palace are very limited and have offered very little but having a manager who has identified a weakness in the opposition (direct balls in the right back channel) and set the team up accordingly sees them leading at half time.

Proper management instead of the anemic surrender-by-numbers we have had to endure.

Overrated. The new AVB.

Tuchel is being touted for the Arsenal & Chelsea jobs, I'm not sure why anybody thinks he would consider coming here.

On a different note, be interesting to read this thread tonight if we lose today, will our fickle fans give Hughes any leeway at all. Doubt it, he'll be just another to join the long list of Saints managers and players on death row!

Sparkie may well lose his sparkle!

Watching the Palace v Victims it's so frustrating that we stuck with the clueless Pellegrino for so long.

Palace are very limited and have offered very little but having a manager who has identified a weakness in the opposition (direct balls in the right back channel) and set the team up accordingly sees them leading at half time.

Proper management instead of the anemic surrender-by-numbers we have had to endure.

Klopp has Clyne available so why he persists with Alexander Arnold is anyone's guess really.

We waited too long with MP. Every single thing wrong with us at this moment in time lies with the people in charge of this club, they've dragged us down with their pompus self-believing hype.

... agreed, added to which is Reed's ineptitude in the transfer market (GK, no quality CB, striker ? £19m on Carillo).

We waited too long with MP. Every single thing wrong with us at this moment in time lies with the people in charge of this club, they've dragged us down with their pompus self-believing hype.

True but I still think it was odd to go 442 with two fairly slow forwards in your first PL away game. Plus Lemina and Hojbjerg who got overrun by ****ing Wigan.

Should have had Romeu in there as well and if he wanted two proper strikers play Long or Gabbi coming from wide.

We can all see a big clear out of players coming. Hopefully including Les Reed. Going to be a while before we are back in the Prem as the Championship is a tough league to get out of. Won't be as straightforward as it was in 2011/12.

Would be nice to see a Saints team playing as a team and giving it their all - even if they are not technically as good as the current bunch of prima donnas.

Would not mind if Mark Hughes stayed. It needs someone with a bit of grit to sort them out.

Tuchel is being touted for the Arsenal & Chelsea jobs, I'm not sure why anybody thinks he would consider coming here.

On a different note, be interesting to read this thread tonight if we lose today, will our fickle fans give Hughes any leeway at all. Doubt it, he'll be just another to join the long list of Saints managers and players on death row!

Sparkie may well lose his sparkle!

Tactics and management mean nothing when the team put in a spineless display like yesterday.

Hughes was pretty damning of the side in his post match interview. I'd like to think some of them got smashed in the dressing room.

Everyone one could see MP was not up to the job by October he should have been replaced then must admit I feel a little sorry for Hughes the rot is two deep inside the club for him to change.

Well that will make two from two for him this season then. Did he not get sacked by Stoke because his side was rubbish ?

I really don't know what we expected from him.