England Squad / World Cup

Wurzel

Only Bertrand included in the England squad announced today. Thought JWP had an outside chance and McCarthy could count himself unlucky. But I'd prefer it if as few of our players as possible have nothing to concentrate on except staying up (and winning the FA Cup) for the next couple of months.

Who in our squad is likely to be going to Russia for countries other than England?

Odd squad. Tarkowski, Gomez, Pope are unfashionable but well-deserved choices. But he's kept Hart, Henderson, Livermore? Called Welbeck up again?

Can't say I was expecting anybody else from Saints called up, JWP probably the next closest to the squad but that would require dropping some of the godawful midfielders Southgate has gone with (Henderson, Livermore, Wilshire to an extent).

as an England fan I would like to see a line up that can build some consistency, and more importantly chemistry together rather than merely picking the new flavour of the months.

This is a problem we have in the set up, we need to establish a firm back 4 and keeper and let the players build a rapport.

Just watch us pick 2 different XIs in both games.

Odd squad. Tarkowski, Gomez, Pope are unfashionable but well-deserved choices. But he's kept Hart, Henderson, Livermore? Called Welbeck up again?

Can't say I was expecting anybody else from Saints called up, JWP probably the next closest to the squad but that would require dropping some of the godawful midfielders Southgate has gone with (Henderson, Livermore, Wilshire to an extent).

Wilshere is there on form, he's been good since he came back into the Arsenal team, one of their few consistent performers IMO over their bad run.

Livermore and Henderson are weird choices.

Hart, Henderson and Livermore are surprising not/surprising choices. It’s surprising because they don’t deserve to be selected. Did Southgate see Burnley’s third goal against W.Ham on the weekend? Perhaps the FA man at the Olympic Stadium was too busy dodging coins and urine to notice it.

I’ve never understood Livermore as an international-quality player. Perhaps it’s his skill in purloining taxis (fast escapes may be required if the players encounter aggressive mobs on the streets of Russia) or his key role in W.Brom’s hugely successful fight for survival under Pardew that sealed it for him.

Henderson probably gets picked because he plays for Liverpool.

It’s not surprising because I’m not convinced that Southgate and the England selectors know what they’re doing, and there isn’t a lot to choose from anyway. I can see them starting Hart, who has done absolutely nothing this season to warrant being anywhere near the squad, and is relying on long-past performances for his selection. IMO McCarthy is better than Hart right now.

Hart, Henderson and Livermore are surprising not/surprising choices. It’s surprising because they don’t deserve to be selected. Did Southgate see Burnley’s third goal against W.Ham on the weekend? Perhaps the FA man at the Olympic Stadium was too busy dodging coins and urine to notice it.

I’ve never understood Livermore as an international-quality player. Perhaps it’s his skill in purloining taxis (fast escapes may be required if the players encounter aggressive mobs on the streets of Russia) or his key role in W.Brom’s hugely successful fight for survival under Pardew that sealed it for him.

Henderson probably gets picked because he plays for Liverpool.

It’s not surprising because I’m not convinced that Southgate and the England selectors know what they’re doing, and there isn’t a lot to choose from anyway. I can see them starting Hart, who has done absolutely nothing this season to warrant being anywhere near the squad, and is relying on long-past performances for his selection. IMO McCarthy is better than Hart right now.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. Alex McCarthy is definitely at least fourth choice. and it seems to have been forgotten that he was in an England squad before!

You think JWP is better than any of those three midfielders?

My WC Squad... I'd use this opportunity to blood for the future tournaments... hard to pick centre-backs though, they're mostly all very, very average.

Pickford, Butland, Pope.

Bertrand, Sessengon, Walker, Trippier, Stones, Cahill, Smalling, Gomez.

Cork (being selecting him since 2012), Wilshere, Alli, Sterling, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Dier, Shelvey, Loftus-Cheek.

Kane, Vardy, Rashford.

Standby: Hart, Heaton, Rose, Maitland-Niles, Jones, Lingard, Sancho, Walcott.

Fairly young, dynamic and most of them untainted by previous tournament failures... just let them go out and play! No rigidity, just play, go for it!

Edited by Crab Lungs

All opinions but not a chance in hell would I swap JWP for Henderson, Livermore or Wilshere.

I'd only take Wilshere over Jwp out of them, That squad is thoroughly uninspiring and hasn't a chance at the world cup !

If Livermore gets into the world cup squad and starts the games then wtf amazed he was being called up and starting in the first place but now his team are 20th in the league quite adrift from many other poor teams he just isn't that good. JWP would deserve a chance over him due to his age and set piece ability but don't think he deserves to be in either!

If Livermore gets into the world cup squad and starts the games then wtf amazed he was being called up and starting in the first place but now his team are 20th in the league quite adrift from many other poor teams he just isn't that good. JWP would deserve a chance over him due to his age and set piece ability but don't think he deserves to be in either!

Cork is the one I feel sorry for when I see Livermore in the squad.

Never underestimate the sheer stupidity of England Managers when selecting squads. Just remember Andy Sinton was favoured by Hoddle over Le Tiss for the France WC.
I don't remember Andy Sinton being in the WC squad for 98.

Never underestimate the sheer stupidity of England Managers when selecting squads. Just remember Andy Sinton was favoured by Hoddle over Le Tiss for the France WC.

Andy Sinton wasn't in that squad.