Thread: FA Cup quarter finals

1. Default FA Cup quarter finals

What are Brighton doing? Playing a weaker side in the only competition that they may have had a chance in advancing in.

They are laying on their backs and giving up before they start.

Disrespectful to their fans and to the competition.

Come on Saints give it a real go.

Surely Spurs can't play their semi at Wembley can they??

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    Surely Spurs can't play their semi at Wembley can they??
    They can and they will

Quote Originally Posted by Valesaint View Post
    What are Brighton doing? Playing a weaker side in the only competition that they may have had a chance in advancing in.

They are laying on their backs and giving up before they start.

Disrespectful to their fans and to the competition.

Come on Saints give it a real go.
    Absolutely senseless. They have two weeks until the next League match.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    They can and they will
    If spurs win the cup this year, I think it should be asterisked.

Are there any asterisks in recent football history? I’m trying to remember one but might be thinking nfl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashnats View Post
    If spurs win the cup this year, I think it should be asterisked.

Are there any asterisks in recent football history? I’m trying to remember one but might be thinking nfl.
    1992/93 ligue 1.
    league winner is unattributed

best example i can think of that is vaguely related.

7. Default

I don't think any team has won the Super Bowl at their own stadium albeit 49ers and the LA Rams won in their own city at a different stadium.
    * I stand to be corrected *

8. Default

The capitulation by Brighton was so embarrassing.

Their players almost fan worshipped the opposition at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    They can and they will
    They should be given a smaller allocation to even things up a bit.

Surely being a semi the teams get an even split of tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by SFC Forever View Post
    Yes it will be but as Spurs will effectively be playing at home I think they should have less fans there than whoever they are playing. Would make it a bit fairer. Never happen though.

Bit sad to see all the changes being made in this years FA cup. Should apply the rules they had about first teamers from the JPT. Potentially us and Wigan could be the only QF teams to not make wholesale changes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SFC Forever View Post
    yeah its been confirmed obviously that there will be no Spurs branding, and obviously both teams get an equal distribution of tickets.

The issue for me is that Spurs have had a whole season to acclimatise to Wembley stadium, and whilst pitch dimensions etc is the same and all that other crap, it is still a slight advantage for them. In essence, they really should win the competition this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    yeah its been confirmed obviously that there will be no Spurs branding, and obviously both teams get an equal distribution of tickets.

The issue for me is that Spurs have had a whole season to acclimatise to Wembley stadium, and whilst pitch dimensions etc is the same and all that other crap, it is still a slight advantage for them. In essence, they really should win the competition this year.
    They could still end up with the away dressing room, which is one of those silly mental things football psychologists canít account for.

would be a quirk of fate if Spurs had to use the away end and quite amusing.

16. Default

Semi finals shouldn't be played at Wembley

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    Semi finals shouldn't be played at Wembley
    Totally agree smacks of FA trying to milk their share of the English football cow.

Unless we beat Wigan. In which case it’s a great idea

I can't see the issue with Spurs and Wembley..most years the champions league has he potential for a team to play at their home ground in the final.
    Didn't Chelsea play Bayern at Bayerns ground a few years back?

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Totally agree smacks of FA trying to milk their share of the English football cow.
    Itís a fact! Semi final is at a neutral ground so no team has an advantage - unless you are spuds of course. Mockery

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Fred View Post
    I can't see the issue with Spurs and Wembley..most years the champions league has he potential for a team to play at their home ground in the final.
    Didn't Chelsea play Bayern at Bayerns ground a few years back?
    Itís not the champions league tho is it. Itís the FA that made the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadhall Saint View Post
    It’s a fact! Semi final is at a neutral ground so no team has an advantage - unless you are spuds of course. Mockery
    How far in advance did this use to be decided? Curious as, for example in 2003 we played at Villa Park and the Arsenal/Sheff Utd game was at Old Trafford. Supposing Villa had drawn Man Utd, would another ground have been chosen?

Neither the Swansea or Brighton players looked very bothered about trying in the cup, hope our players try a bit more.

Man Utd were there for the taking and Swansea just let Spurs have so much room, both Erikkson's goals could have easily been closed down.
    Last edited by tajjuk; 18-03-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    How far in advance did this use to be decided? Curious as, for example in 2003 we played at Villa Park and the Arsenal/Sheff Utd game was at Old Trafford. Supposing Villa had drawn Man Utd, would another ground have been chosen?
    Yes, any suitable neutral ground was chosen. Consideration was given to the facilities, capacity, location.

Letís not forget the tragedy at Hillsborough which had regularly been used as a venue for semi-finals until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    For as long as I can remember. And yes to your scenario. We played at neutral grounds - Highbury and white heart lane for fa semis in the 80ís.

As fans we should come together (if we get through) how can it be fair to play spurs at Wembley .. atrocious decision

Quote Originally Posted by Nick75Sfc View Post
    As fans we should come together (if we get through) how can it be fair to play spurs at Wembley .. atrocious decision
    Iíd get behind any team that ends up facing spuds at Wembley in an fa cup semi. The rule was put there so both teams do not have an unfair advantage by playing at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadhall Saint View Post
    It’s not the champions league tho is it. It’s the FA that made the rule.
    What rule? There is no "neutral ground" rule as far as I know...the rule is semi and final will be played where the committee decide...nothing about it being a neutral venue etc etc I don't think.

What rule? There is no "neutral ground" rule as far as I know...the rule is semi and final will be played where the committee decide...nothing about it being a neutral venue etc etc I don't think.
    Contractually they have to be played at Wembley. I donít know how long that contract lasts.

Ultimately the FA Cup Committee decides.

30. Default

The FA wonít give a shiny shiete about fairness, all theyíre interested in is £ís. Theyíre setting a precedent that will bite them in the arse. Chelsea are talking about playing at Wembley for 3 seasons, thatís an immense advantage in the cups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31. Default

I thought the rules changed so that you couldn't have crazy patterns on your pitch anymore...?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

32. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    I thought the rules changed so that you couldn't have crazy patterns on your pitch anymore...?

It's quite distracting. Will probably send VAR into blue screen lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post

Only in the Premier League according to the commentator.

Before the games were staged at Wembley, the venues used to be decided once the draw for the semis had taken place, so yes it was a neutral ground.......

35. Default

Just shows how big a part luck plays. The Skates got Barnsley, WBA, Cardiff in their semi final draw, looks like weíre getting 3 of the top 5. Utd
    look the weakest of the 3 at the moment, but who knows come April. Just donít want Spurs, losing at their home ground will grate for a while. Dream
    scenario would be Leicester to come back in their game, draw them, then Utd in final.

Not sure what people are angry about? Spurs will be treated like a team in a neutral ground.

There have been many European finals where one of the teams is also the home team. Sporting, Bayern, Feyenoord spring to mind. Lyon could've done it this season in the Europa League, and so could Hamburg when Fulham knocked them out.

It's a neutral ground by all purposes, and the usual seating allocations of home games are void.

Quite bemused at some of the outrage on here. It's like some of you haven't really watched football for very long, or just don't like to employ logic when debating it.

37. Default FA Cup quarter finals

Quote Originally Posted by melmacian_saint View Post
    Not sure what people are angry about? Spurs will be treated like a team in a neutral ground.

There have been many European finals where one of the teams is also the home team. Sporting, Bayern, Feyenoord spring to mind. Lyon could've done it this season in the Europa League, and so could Hamburg when Fulham knocked them out.

It's a neutral ground by all purposes, and the usual seating allocations of home games are void.

Quite bemused at some of the outrage on here. It's like some of you haven't really watched football for very long, or just don't like to employ logic when debating it.
    Having watched football for so long. Has there ever been a semi final at a non neutral ground in the history of English or European football.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by melmacian_saint View Post

Its not just the crowd numbers though is it. Playing all their home games at Wembley means the spurs players know the pitch inside out they have the advantage of just feeling more comfortable there which is a big psychological advantage in a pressure game like a cup final.

39. Default

If itís no big deal, why did The FA go to wales when Wembley was being rebuilt. They could have used OT

Come on Leicester.

41. Default

It’s us and the big boys then.

Would rather avoid Spurs out of the 3, so we’ll probably get them.