FA Cup quarter finals

Valesaint

What are Brighton doing? Playing a weaker side in the only competition that they may have had a chance in advancing in.

They are laying on their backs and giving up before they start.

Disrespectful to their fans and to the competition.

Come on Saints give it a real go.

What are Brighton doing? Playing a weaker side in the only competition that they may have had a chance in advancing in.

They are laying on their backs and giving up before they start.

Disrespectful to their fans and to the competition.

Come on Saints give it a real go.

Absolutely senseless. They have two weeks until the next League match.

If spurs win the cup this year, I think it should be asterisked.

Are there any asterisks in recent football history? I’m trying to remember one but might be thinking nfl.

1992/93 ligue 1.

league winner is unattributed

best example i can think of that is vaguely related.

Surely being a semi the teams get an even split of tickets.

yeah its been confirmed obviously that there will be no Spurs branding, and obviously both teams get an equal distribution of tickets.

The issue for me is that Spurs have had a whole season to acclimatise to Wembley stadium, and whilst pitch dimensions etc is the same and all that other crap, it is still a slight advantage for them. In essence, they really should win the competition this year.

yeah its been confirmed obviously that there will be no Spurs branding, and obviously both teams get an equal distribution of tickets.

The issue for me is that Spurs have had a whole season to acclimatise to Wembley stadium, and whilst pitch dimensions etc is the same and all that other crap, it is still a slight advantage for them. In essence, they really should win the competition this year.

They could still end up with the away dressing room, which is one of those silly mental things football psychologists can’t account for.

I can't see the issue with Spurs and Wembley..most years the champions league has he potential for a team to play at their home ground in the final.

Didn't Chelsea play Bayern at Bayerns ground a few years back?

It’s not the champions league tho is it. It’s the FA that made the rule.

It’s a fact! Semi final is at a neutral ground so no team has an advantage - unless you are spuds of course. Mockery

How far in advance did this use to be decided? Curious as, for example in 2003 we played at Villa Park and the Arsenal/Sheff Utd game was at Old Trafford. Supposing Villa had drawn Man Utd, would another ground have been chosen?

Neither the Swansea or Brighton players looked very bothered about trying in the cup, hope our players try a bit more.

Man Utd were there for the taking and Swansea just let Spurs have so much room, both Erikkson's goals could have easily been closed down.

Edited by tajjuk

How far in advance did this use to be decided? Curious as, for example in 2003 we played at Villa Park and the Arsenal/Sheff Utd game was at Old Trafford. Supposing Villa had drawn Man Utd, would another ground have been chosen?

Yes, any suitable neutral ground was chosen. Consideration was given to the facilities, capacity, location.

Let’s not forget the tragedy at Hillsborough which had regularly been used as a venue for semi-finals until then.

For as long as I can remember. And yes to your scenario. We played at neutral grounds - Highbury and white heart lane for fa semis in the 80’s.

As fans we should come together (if we get through) how can it be fair to play spurs at Wembley .. atrocious decision

I’d get behind any team that ends up facing spuds at Wembley in an fa cup semi. The rule was put there so both teams do not have an unfair advantage by playing at home.

It’s not the champions league tho is it. It’s the FA that made the rule.

What rule? There is no "neutral ground" rule as far as I know...the rule is semi and final will be played where the committee decide...nothing about it being a neutral venue etc etc I don't think.

What rule? There is no "neutral ground" rule as far as I know...the rule is semi and final will be played where the committee decide...nothing about it being a neutral venue etc etc I don't think.

Contractually they have to be played at Wembley. I don’t know how long that contract lasts.

Ultimately the FA Cup Committee decides.

The FA won’t give a shiny shiete about fairness, all they’re interested in is £’s. They’re setting a precedent that will bite them in the arse. Chelsea are talking about playing at Wembley for 3 seasons, that’s an immense advantage in the cups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before the games were staged at Wembley, the venues used to be decided once the draw for the semis had taken place, so yes it was a neutral ground.......

Just shows how big a part luck plays. The Skates got Barnsley, WBA, Cardiff in their semi final draw, looks like we’re getting 3 of the top 5. Utd

look the weakest of the 3 at the moment, but who knows come April. Just don’t want Spurs, losing at their home ground will grate for a while. Dream

scenario would be Leicester to come back in their game, draw them, then Utd in final.

Not sure what people are angry about? Spurs will be treated like a team in a neutral ground.

There have been many European finals where one of the teams is also the home team. Sporting, Bayern, Feyenoord spring to mind. Lyon could've done it this season in the Europa League, and so could Hamburg when Fulham knocked them out.

It's a neutral ground by all purposes, and the usual seating allocations of home games are void.

Quite bemused at some of the outrage on here. It's like some of you haven't really watched football for very long, or just don't like to employ logic when debating it.

Not sure what people are angry about? Spurs will be treated like a team in a neutral ground.

There have been many European finals where one of the teams is also the home team. Sporting, Bayern, Feyenoord spring to mind. Lyon could've done it this season in the Europa League, and so could Hamburg when Fulham knocked them out.

It's a neutral ground by all purposes, and the usual seating allocations of home games are void.

Quite bemused at some of the outrage on here. It's like some of you haven't really watched football for very long, or just don't like to employ logic when debating it.

Having watched football for so long. Has there ever been a semi final at a non neutral ground in the history of English or European football.

Its not just the crowd numbers though is it. Playing all their home games at Wembley means the spurs players know the pitch inside out they have the advantage of just feeling more comfortable there which is a big psychological advantage in a pressure game like a cup final.