How far back can you trace your Southampton lineage?

Winnersaint

Been doing the family tree thing. Fascinating stuff. Now I know why I am a Saints fan! Had direct family living in Chapel Rd at 1851 census and Castle Gardens in St Mary's in 1881, but I don't know where that is now. By 1901 they were in Gloucester Passage in Holy Rood parish. My grandfather was born at southern end of Derby Rd. His great-grandmother hailed from Co Cork and appears in Southampton in 1851 probably due to the Great Famine and was living in what looks like Rupert St in St Mary's.

In southampton we always called each other good fellas, like you say to somebody you're gonna like this guy yes alright he's a good fella, he one of us. We were good fellas, wise guys. Jimmy could never be made up because he had Lancashire blood, it didn't even matter that his mother was from Shirley. To be a member of the crew you got be 100% southampton so they can trace all your relatives. It'd the highest honour you can give it means you belong to the family or crew. It means nobody can **** with you and it madams you can **** around with anyone as long as they aren't a member. Its a licence to steal a licence to do anything. As far as Jimmy was concerned when Tommy was made up it was like we were all made we would now have own of our own as a member.

None whatsoever, in fact nobody in my family was even born in Hampshire, including myself (although I've lived here since the age of 1). Neither of my parents are originally from the area but both moved to Southampton or nearby in childhood and met later on. My Dad was the first to support Saints but I'll be ensuring any of my children support Saints if and when that time comes. My family on both sides have been a bit nomadic. To be honest even I intend to move away from the area in the near future.

Been doing the family tree thing. Fascinating stuff. Now I know why I am a Saints fan! Had direct family living in Chapel Rd at 1851 census and Castle Gardens in St Mary's in 1881, but I don't know where that is now. By 1901 they were in Gloucester Passage in Holy Rood parish. My grandfather was born at southern end of Derby Rd. His great-grandmother hailed from Co Cork and appears in Southampton in 1851 probably due to the Great Famine and was living in what looks like Rupert St in St Mary's.

Born in Northam. Dragged up in holyrood- one parent from Southampton - holyrood and one from st Mary’s - grandparents not “local” tho

In southampton we always called each other good fellas, like you say to somebody you're gonna like this guy yes alright he's a good fella, he one of us. We were good fellas, wise guys. Jimmy could never be made up because he had Lancashire blood, it didn't even matter that his mother was from Shirley. To be a member of the crew you got be 100% southampton so they can trace all your relatives. It'd the highest honour you can give it means you belong to the family or crew. It means nobody can **** with you and it madams you can **** around with anyone as long as they aren't a member. Its a licence to steal a licence to do anything. As far as Jimmy was concerned when Tommy was made up it was like we were all made we would now have own of our own as a member.

Watched it again on Friday. Still one of the best films.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine didn't arrive in Soton until 1910 (paternal) and 1929 (maternal). Paternal were cabinet makers / merchant navy originally from around the corner from London & maternal were shipbuilders originally from Newcastle.

My paternal & maternal lines have a long history of seafaring and military service, which explains a lot.

At one stage my sister bought a house in St Denys that when we did the family tree, my great, great grandparents had lived in.