Wigan 0 Saints 2 - Post Match Thread

Secret Site Agent

It should, and it’s worrying that the team didn’t put any commitment into playing under Pellegrino

After months of MP choosing the wrong tactics and the wrong personnel I think we would all be ****ed off!

Hughes shows passion and commitment himself so of course that will rub off and did!

There is lots of work to do, some of it is easy i.e. drop Carillo who is totally useless....Another clear sign of MPs lack of judgement !

Today, even in the first half we were better than at Newcastle - it will come together under Hughes, good substitutions, good half time talk and brave team selection....

Hopefully Hughes realises quickly that Carillo is carp and we need to actually put tackles in and not shadow players right into our own box.....

Well done the team and the coaching staff, good start....

Disagree on the point about dropping too deep after first goal, I felt that we were continuing to try to push forward and go for a second goal, which ultimately we got. Wigan were bound to try and attack us in last few minutes but I thought we coped alright in general and our approach after going in front was certainly better than what we saw with MP in charge!

Of course, there are loads more areas for improvement, but sure Hughes is well aware of that!

After we scored we seemed to take the burners off, after a good start to the second half, and Wigan came right back at us. For me a the PL team we should have been capable of taking the sting out of with some controlled possession (I know those are two dirty words after MoPe) once we got the second (slightly fortuitous but well taken by Cedric) goal we then controlled the rest of the game. It felt to me after we went 1 up we don't cope well with Wigan's inevitable backlash.

Ha the Stokies gave our game its own match thread they sound just like us

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/277900/wigan-saints?page=1

this one is interesting comment

first game in charge of saints and he goes 2 up top!!

That is what has wound me up the most, he always refused to use it at Stoke!

'****s us at Coventry and now he's going to Wembley.

Takes the p***.'

stoke fans not impressed :lol:

I agree about starting Long in the next game. Think he is at least more of a nuisance to the opposition defence.

The game was very open by the time he came on though as Wigan were pushing to get back in. Long is wasted as a starter unless you plan to defend deep and play on the counter which I doubt we will do against West Ham.

Carillo getting all the stick. But he didn't miss a one on one and a penalty. Also motd showing his running in the corner routine giving Hoj the space to score.

Yeh but we always need a scapegoat on here don't we! - and now MoPo's gone we need someone else to step up - looks like Redmond has got away with it while Carillo is on the pitch

Must admit its not that encouraging so far is it?! he always seems quite laboured and slow to the ball, but he's not alone there - they all need a good shot of confidence

First half was very poor, they looked like the Prem team and we looked like the League 1 team, shows what confidence can do. The main positive is we at least showed fight, there was commitment there to work hard and win the ball back.

Second half much improved, half time team talk worked wonders and we dominated the game, should have been at least 3-4.

Carillo was an empty shirt IMO, didn't even look that strong or good in the air, and Gabiadini's confidence is a big big worry, couldn't have had two easier chances to score goals and fluffed them both, and our right back who has never scored a goal showed our strikers how it is done.

Austin coming back is massive.

Thought get credit should go to McCarthy, swirling conditions but came for the ball and looked a calm and confident influence at the back.

I also thought Hoedt was very solid, though his passing was a little off. Both Hojberg and Lemina grew in the second half, I think Hughes told Lemina to go out there and dominate.

Cedric was also very solid, some crucial blocks and crosses, good to see him take some leadership at the back as well, was seen shouting at his team mates to do more in the first half, goal capped a very good all round display.

Neither striker impressed, Boufal and Tadic huffed and puffed but didn't do much, and aside the little flick over the player to start the counter attack for the second goal I thought Redmond was awful when he came on, had 3-4 opportunities to run at people down the line and just cut inside, which is why I'd always have Boufal over him, he even when playing averagely always looks to attack, take people on and go forward not sideways.

The game was very open by the time he came on though as Wigan were pushing to get back in. Long is wasted as a starter unless you plan to defend deep and play on the counter which I doubt we will do against West Ham.

I think you are basing that at on how MP set up the team with a single isolated striker. It looks like Hughes is going to look to provide the striker with more support in a more positive formation, so in that context I think Long can have more impact potentially. He was pretty good as a starter for Koeman who didn’t defend deep, so maybe he can offer more in a more positive Hughes team? I would personally prefer him to Carrillo who in my opinion offers very little and didn’t link up well enough with Gabbi or the rest of the team today.

Ha the Stokies gave our game its own match thread they sound just like us

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/277900/wigan-saints?page=1

this one is interesting comment

first game in charge of saints and he goes 2 up top!!

That is what has wound me up the most, he always refused to use it at Stoke!

:lol: They don't seem to like us very much..........

On way back from the game, will post thoughts when I’m home, but can’t agree that Tadic was awful. Poor first half, but didn’t do a lot wrong second half. Showed some neat touches and linked the play well at times. Not like Cedric - we had a goal from the best player on the pitch and the worst one today!

After we scored we seemed to take the burners off, after a good start to the second half, and Wigan came right back at us. For me a the PL team we should have been capable of taking the sting out of with some controlled possession (I know those are two dirty words after MoPe) once we got the second (slightly fortuitous but well taken by Cedric) goal we then controlled the rest of the game. It felt to me after we went 1 up we don't cope well with Wigan's inevitable backlash.

Not really mate.

Afraid we didn't. FFS we played well 2nd half, end of.

Agreed. I didn’t feel there was a signal to the team to defend deeper and stop attacking, unlike under MP on the rare occasions we were able to get a lead. Yes we brought on Romeu for Gabbi but that was on 87 mins and seemed sensible to add a bit of muscle in midfield to slow them down when they tried to attack us, which he did with a couple of “good” fouls towards the end!

Because he's a quality player with huge potential and we should be giving him game time wherever we can.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I know he's a quality player (or at least looks it). Jesus Christ I'm only asking a question, I just don't particularly see the need to pick out his non-involvement as something to be singled out as a shame on a day when we won a fecking FA cup quarter final.

Why have Stoke got such malice toward Hughes? If Pellegrino took over a PL team and got to a semi final next season with them I'd be happy for him.

As for the "Another South Coast team to despise" comment. What other SC team do they not get on with?

Terrible 1st half. Much much better 2nd half

From the start it was obvious we tried to get the ball forward quicker

2nd half the quality started to show

Fair play to Wigan. Good footballing side and made a real game of it

This. If MH motivated the second half display, then well done MH. Under Pellegrino, nothing would have changed.

Just got back. Not sure how much it showed on tv but it was quite windy, (and bloody cold!) which we played against in the first half, so i think that had something to do with some of the crap touches and poor balls. Have to say that we do have some lightweight players though who struggle against physical sides. That in itself is not a problem if you out skill them, but if you're left on your ass and don't makes any sort of recovery run, then your asking for trouble.

That said, second half where the wind was in our favour we looked decent and should have won more comfortably with the chances we created. Gabbi will score, he just needs one to go in off his knee, or scuff one instead of catching if sweet. Overall good performance, decent subs and good away day.

We're off to Wembley.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I know he's a quality player (or at least looks it). Jesus Christ I'm only asking a question, I just don't particularly see the need to pick out his non-involvement as something to be singled out as a shame on a day when we won a fecking FA cup quarter final.
Calm down [emoji23] you're only asking a question, I'm only answering it.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Why have Stoke got such malice toward Hughes? If Pellegrino took over a PL team and got to a semi final next season with them I'd be happy for him.

As for the "Another South Coast team to despise" comment. What other SC team do they not get on with?

They have it in for everyone, like the ridiculous way Ramsey gets abused because Stoke broke his leg. Very odd bunch up there.

Home and thawed out.

Others will ramble on about the game as a whole so all I'll add is that 1st half we were as gash as we've been all season and 2nd half totally untroubled and in total control IMHO.

Hughes got it more or less spot on as far as I'm concerned with the starting XI and the subs.

3rd coldest game I've ever been to after Reading & Leeds I reckon.

I'll be at work in Stoke tomorrow wearing a big grin and I just happen to have to go down to the Brit/365 in the PM too. :D

Shocking first half but it looked to me like they were just struggling with the change in formation and just resorted to lumping it up front.

Second half much better which is a good sign - shows that the manager can read the game and make changes. Subs all made sense and actually improved the team which is refreshing. As was watching us go for a second goal instead of sitting there and trying to cling on.

I thought Gabbi looked a real threat with his movement, he’s much better with two up front.

I'd like the view of someone who travelled, but on TV the pitch looked absolutely dreadful.

I realise it's the same for both sides but many times in the first half Saints seemed to get caught out with the weight of their passes because the ball only travelled half the distance along the ground than it would on a decent Premier League pitch.

I'd like the view of someone who travelled, but on TV the pitch looked absolutely dreadful.

I realise it's the same for both sides but many times in the first half Saints seemed to get caught out with the weight of their passes because the ball only travelled half the distance along the ground than it would on a decent Premier League pitch.

More of an issue with the wind which was gusting across the pitch, right to left from the away end.

First half was awful, Wigan came out of the blocks and pressed us. We tried to be tippy tappy with it but kept losing the ball.

2nd half the envitable happend in that Wigan tired, but we also simplified our game a bit. Better with our long passes and our forward passing was more direct, looking forward rather than backwards - a fine example is Redmonds cameo. First ball through to Gabbiadini for the pen was very good, and the 2nd pass (although he got lucky) for Cedric was another forward thinking positive pass. They don't always come off, but there's a much bigger oppertunity of something happening as opposed to just keeping it ticking over for no reason.

I thought Gabbiadini played ok, good movement, held the ball up and showed some good touches down the channels - needs a goal though! I quite liked him in that central roll on the shoudler, but also providing support out on the flanks.

Less said about Carrillo the better.....! Still early days, but boy oh boy.

They have it in for everyone, like the ridiculous way Ramsey gets abused because Stoke broke his leg. Very odd bunch up there.

Reminds me of the Scousers booing Patrice Evra. You know, for having the sheer audacity to be racially abused by a Liverpool player.

Stoke fans are some of the most bitter in the league, can't wait for their relegation. Good riddance to a nasty club.

Them and West Brom going down is better for the league, would be good if we could push West Ham in with them and that would be 3 **** clubs down in one season.