Wigan 0 Saints 2 - Post Match Thread

Secret Site Agent

Is it just me or were the BBC commentators wetting them selves about wigan? Banging on about how many corners they had, even giving their goalie MOTM!

The whole narrative of the coverage was hoping for an upset. It wasn't really anti-Saints. They would've wanted whoever Wigan played to lose.

Enjoy that we went against the narrative & disappointed everyone :)

No idea what Hughesy did for the second half but we were a different team.

Did he stop Gabby running onto stupid pumped balls in the hope Carrillo would knock one on?

Ask Boufal and Tadic to become team players?

Hoping he learnt plenty and that he should have the players down an army base these next two weeks plus getting them attacking better as a unit.

Didn’t we have the wind behind us in the second half?

The whole narrative of the coverage was hoping for an upset. It wasn't really anti-Saints. They would've wanted whoever Wigan played to lose.

So in the semi we can expect similar? Or will they be ****ing off Conte and Hazard every 10 seconds?

Redmond - 8. Changed the game,

Can't see that at all, we were already well on top when he came on and winning. Plus by that point Boufal was actually making some inroads and had previously played two decent balls in that Gabbi almost latched onto, I thought of Tadic and Boufal it was Tadic that should have been subbed.

The only credit I can give Redmond is the through ball to Gabbi for the pen, but I am pretty sure anyone in the team in that position would have been able to see and do that pass as it was a pretty obvious one, Gabbi's run was the key and the second was his flick over the defender for the second goal, but then his pass was lucky cos it go deflected into Cedric's pass.

Before that I saw him lose possession on several occasions and as mentioned by others when he has space to run into in front of him or a defender one v one he just slows play down and passes sideways.

Don't get the bad ratings for Cedric either, I thought along with Hoedt he was our stand out defender, looked far less troubled than Bertrand and got some crucial blocks and tackles in. Signs that he is getting back to his consistent best.

He is still poop at crossing mind.

And do you honestly think Carrillo played better - 4 times better - than Tadic today? At the very least, Tadic set up the goal with his corner. I think he did a lot more than that, but I'm not sure Carrillo had more than three or four decent touches during the whole game.

Actually, I'm going to back him up here; Tadic was awful. Even the corner we scored from was pretty poor, look where it landed, Wigan will be kicking themselves that they let us score from that. The amount of times that he actually hides on a pitch is remarkable. What him next time you are at a game, Someone near him will get the ball, he will then position himself so that there is a defender between him and the ball. Then there's his tendency to delay his cross by cutting one way, then back again, then back once more. As a striker, how can you make a run for that, you literally have no idea when he's going to swing the ball in to the box. Then add in the amount of times that he will take a quick break and slow it right up, allowing the defence to get back.

I genuinely feel that we have played most games this season with 10 men, he has contributed that little. I really thought that he might start contributing now he has a target man to hang some crosses over for, but there's just no sign of that happening yet.

My player ratings;

McCarthy - 7,Agreed - There was a corner that could have made it into the net - Which he saved and off his line for all their corners - Good shift

Cedric - 5 Doesn't know if he is having a **** or a hair cut. One minute he is league one, next minute he is champions league. Needs sorting.

Hoedt - 5, Nervous, Nervous, Nervous, but a decent shift if a difficult pitch.

Stephens - 6- So many positives, but still a few negatives about his game.

Bertrand - 6 Convince me you want to be here Ryan and double convince me you should be captain.

Hojbjerg - 5 Had he not scored he would have been slated. Control the ball and then ...and then pass to a Saints player. Woeful first half - Made amends in the second.

Lemina - 6.How can someone so talented, give the ball away so many times.

Tadic - 1 Time to bench him. On his day unplayable, but at the moment he is a cheating, lazy, uncommitted liability. We are in a dog fight. Not our man.

Boufal - 4 One of the most talented players I've seen.- But wasn't much use today. Have to question whether we go silk or steel. No place for him ATM if we go steel.

Gabbiadini - 3 Missed from 6 yards and missed from 12 - Not his day- But he makes some fantastic runs.

Carrillo - 4. Hmmmm.

Redmond - 8. Changed the game,

Romeu 6 - did what he had to at the end, but didn't stand out. Was walking a tightrope because of his booking situation anyway but understandable sub.

Wait a minute......

Football is a game of opinions yes, however, you thought Carillo played better than Gabbiadini ?

That is really quite bizarre....

Actually, I'm going to back him up here; Tadic was awful. Even the corner we scored from was pretty poor, look where it landed, Wigan will be kicking themselves that they let us score from that. The amount of times that he actually hides on a pitch is remarkable. What him next time you are at a game, Someone near him will get the ball, he will then position himself so that there is a defender between him and the ball. Then there's his tendency to delay his cross by cutting one way, then back again, then back once more. As a striker, how can you make a run for that, you literally have no idea when he's going to swing the ball in to the box. Then add in the amount of times that he will take a quick break and slow it right up, allowing the defence to get back.

I genuinely feel that we have played most games this season with 10 men, he has contributed that little. I really thought that he might start contributing now he has a target man to hang some crosses over for, but there's just no sign of that happening yet.

Well actually, in the second half particularly, there were a number of times a Saints player got to the ball first and I thought "that was good commitment, who is it? Oh, it's Tadic..." I was surprised myself! I think when he does it, people ignore it, and focus on the times that he doesn't. He wasn't charging about, throwing himself into 50-50s etc, but I didn't see him hiding. And also, there were plenty of times the ball went to him, he got it under control, and moved the play on. Simple stuff, but so often our players don't do it.

I agree that the delaying his crosses is a problem, but he's pretty good at turning a defender inside out, the problem is: The best angle to deliver the ball from is from the byline. So to create space, Tadic turns back once, then turns to the byline... creates the space for a cross, but it's on his weaker foot. Then he turns again, and invaraibly loses it (as well as no longer being in the prime position for a cross). I've already referred to his bamboozling of Ivanovic in our 3-1 at Stamford Bridge - he does that manoeuvre a lot, but when he's on the left it's easier to have a better end product. I just don't get why he remains on the right. Remember I scored him 6/10, I'm hardly saying he was MoM, just that he wasn't terrible.

Can't see that at all, we were already well on top when he came on and winning. Plus by that point Boufal was actually making some inroads and had previously played two decent balls in that Gabbi almost latched onto, I thought of Tadic and Boufal it was Tadic that should have been subbed.

The only credit I can give Redmond is the through ball to Gabbi for the pen, but I am pretty sure anyone in the team in that position would have been able to see and do that pass as it was a pretty obvious one, Gabbi's run was the key and the second was his flick over the defender for the second goal, but then his pass was lucky cos it go deflected into Cedric's pass.

Before that I saw him lose possession on several occasions and as mentioned by others when he has space to run into in front of him or a defender one v one he just slows play down and passes sideways.

Don't get the bad ratings for Cedric either, I thought along with Hoedt he was our stand out defender, looked far less troubled than Bertrand and got some crucial blocks and tackles in. Signs that he is getting back to his consistent best.

He is still poop at crossing mind.

Agree with most of what you say, but I think it's a bit harsh to not credit Redmond (or anyone) because 'anyone could have made the pass'. This season it has been pretty clear that not everyone can or does make the obvious/right decision!

Maybe I've overlooked some of Cedric's crucial blocks, but I found that he always waits for the ball to come to him instead of attacking it. He wasn't getting tight to the winger at all, who often got round him for a cross (yes Bertrand was poor in that regard too, but his main problem was Byrne also charging forward from right back). His passing often went astray, and for someone with such pace his insistence on stopping and turning inside when he has a chance to push forward is infuriating. I'm not normally a critic of Cedric, but aside from his superbly taken goal I don't think he came out of the game very well. At least he didn't try a 40-yard shot this time... left that to Hojbjerg, whose attempted left foot volley from 25 yards was mind-boggling, especially when there was a simple, decent option available.

Exactly. The Great British tradition of favouring the underdog.

Though I doubt it will play out that way when we are on TV against Chelsea, somehow....

Agree with most of what you say, but I think it's a bit harsh to not credit Redmond (or anyone) because 'anyone could have made the pass'. This season it has been pretty clear that not everyone can or does make the obvious/right decision!

Maybe I've overlooked some of Cedric's crucial blocks, but I found that he always waits for the ball to come to him instead of attacking it. He wasn't getting tight to the winger at all, who often got round him for a cross (yes Bertrand was poor in that regard too, but his main problem was Byrne also charging forward from right back). His passing often went astray, and for someone with such pace his insistence on stopping and turning inside when he has a chance to push forward is infuriating. I'm not normally a critic of Cedric, but aside from his superbly taken goal I don't think he came out of the game very well. At least he didn't try a 40-yard shot this time... left that to Hojbjerg, whose attempted left foot volley from 25 yards was mind-boggling, especially when there was a simple, decent option available.

Cedric is in Garth's Team of the Week for what it's worth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43451086

Watched on the telly.

Thought PEH had stood out from the start. Tenacious, ready to battle and try and win the ball at all costs. He's safe with it, too, a bit like JWP. He's not going to set the world alight with skills or a blistering run, but when he's got the ball, and he's being hussled, he's generally assured in possession, before playing simple passes back out of danger. PEH was my MoM, and I don't think he was as bad as people are making out in the first out (well, relatively speaking, seeing as they were all ****).

McCarthy also looking confident. If FF had been in goal, he wouldn't have come for those crosses, and if someone like Grigg is waiting, it would porbably have been toe-poked into the net. McCarthy cemented as no.1 at the moment, IMO.

Thought Cedric started very poorly, and other than the goal didn't do very much. Bertrand and Boufal's progress was being stifled by Wigan's RB, so didn't get to see them get going.

Lemina did OK. Flashes of his class.

What I couldn't figure out, is why Redmond was on the left (a right footed player), and Tadic (a left footed player) on the right. Both of them attacking at a snail's pace, and always having to cut back inside. At least with Tadic you've got some confidence in him that he'll still deliver the ball, but not Redmond. That said, I think Redmond deserves another go now. There's a good player in there, and he's quick. Get his confidence back up, convince him to actually take on a man and use his pace, and I think he could be an important player again. Stick him on the right with Gabbi up top, Boufal or JWP in the centre, Tadic on the left.

the flare was in their end,hit a young girl,paramedics turned up,as did old bill

trouble in town after game but over fairly quick

Yeah - flare lobbed from their fans, and hit one of their own fans. Stewards then went to find the bloke who lobbed it and a few scuffles between them and their fans.

We walked back into the centre after the game and didn't see any trouble whatsoever - barely saw any people it was like a ghost town!

the flare was in their end,hit a young girl,paramedics turned up,as did old bill

trouble in town after game but over fairly quick

I was inside Berkeleys bar right by where all the trouble happened outside, got very tasty at times one bloke completely laid out, another with bad cuts to his head and one Wigan Fan on crutches rushhed into events.

What I couldn't figure out, is why Redmond was on the left (a right footed player), and Tadic (a left footed player) on the right.

Million dollar question. I also don't think Redmond links up with Bertrand very well - something Tadic does better.

Maybe this is something Hughes will try.

Watched on the telly.

Thought PEH had stood out from the start. Tenacious, ready to battle and try and win the ball at all costs. He's safe with it, too, a bit like JWP. He's not going to set the world alight with skills or a blistering run, but when he's got the ball, and he's being hussled, he's generally assured in possession, before playing simple passes back out of danger. PEH was my MoM, and I don't think he was as bad as people are making out in the first out (well, relatively speaking, seeing as they were all ****).

Guess you watched a different game. Was really getting fed up with the passes that PEH was misplacing, his dwelling on the ball and getting caught. He really was quite poor for a lot of the game. Shame really because I like the guy and think he has great potential but he was a weak link yesterday (along with several others). Very pleased that he got his goal, well taken and that should get his confidence up, should have scored a few minutes before as well. Tadic and Boufal were awful again (Tadic's corners, apart from the goal were dreadful and he contributed nothing else of note, Boufal just contributed nothing of note going forward, other than showing off some delightful skills, but I am always impressed by his defensive work, unlike Tadic, still at least they didn't spend the whole game passing back). Cedric had a mixed game, was poor first half but did a lot of work covering the other defenders, and his goal was sablime, looked very calm and assured, maybe because he was coming in from the left, another monkey off back moment, don't think he is getting the credit he deserves for that goal. McCarthy was great, how on earth did we keep Forster in between the sticks with Alex on the bench. Hoedt dodgy again, but at least no great mistakes and good headed clearance over the bar to prevent a goal. Stephens looked calm and assured again, really is the better of the two CBs, would prefer to see Yoshida partnering him that Wesley. Bertie was anonymous first half, but did well getting forward later on. Lemina looked god at times and awful at other times, needs to impose himself more, he is a very talented player, but seems to lack confidence a bit. Thought Carillo worked hard and though he didn't score or look like doing so, his work rate and movement gave Gabbi some opportunities. Gabbi clearly still lacking confidence, but his penalty was well taken, excellent save from their keeper. Special mention for Redmond, who I usually slag off, thought he looked decent yesterday when he came on, certainly an improvement of Boufal, maybe being encouraged to go forward by Sparky might help. Lets hope Charlie is back for our trip to the London Stadium.

Tadic was good in the second half. It's not his fault he keeps getting picked in the wrong position.

Yes he's 100 times better on the left, ditto Redmond on the right. I was disappointed that they both were on the wrong sides again. Hopefully MH will figure this out before West Ham (unlike the dunce who's left who could never figure it out).

Watched on the telly.

McCarthy also looking confident. If FF had been in goal, he wouldn't have come for those crosses, and if someone like Grigg is waiting, it would porbably have been toe-poked into the net. McCarthy cemented as no.1 at the moment, IMO.

Thought Cedric started very poorly, and other than the goal didn't do very much. Bertrand and Boufal's progress was being stifled by Wigan's RB, so didn't get to see them get going.

Lemina did OK. Flashes of his class.

What I couldn't figure out, is why Redmond was on the left (a right footed player), and Tadic (a left footed player) on the right. Both of them attacking at a snail's pace, and always having to cut back inside. At least with Tadic you've got some confidence in him that he'll still deliver the ball, but not Redmond. That said, I think Redmond deserves another go now. There's a good player in there, and he's quick. Get his confidence back up, convince him to actually take on a man and use his pace, and I think he could be an important player again. Stick him on the right with Gabbi up top, Boufal or JWP in the centre, Tadic on the left.

agreed re: redmond. I also think he could learn a lot from Gabbiadini about his movement off the ball. If he doesn't want to take players on with the ball, he can create uncertainty and pull open gaps using his pace when he doesn't have it. Just seems terrified of making a mistake, when tidy play and cleaning up clearly aren't his strengths as a player!

Yes he's 100 times better on the left, ditto Redmond on the right. I was disappointed that they both were on the wrong sides again. Hopefully MH will figure this out before West Ham (unlike the dunce who's left who could never figure it out).

It is a bit baffling why successive managers have used Tadic on the right. Can we assume that this may be coming from Tadic himself if for some reason he thinks he is more effective cutting inside? To me, he always looks more comfortable when on the left and links up much better with the full back on that side.

Actually, I'm going to back him up here; Tadic was awful. Even the corner we scored from was pretty poor, look where it landed.

Just watched it again. The ball lands smack bang in the centre of the goal, about 8 yards out, I'd say that's a pretty perfect corner, especially considering it clears the players jumping at the near post.

Also, people (not you) not wanting to credit Redmond for his pass to Gabbiadini for the penalty because "anyone could see and make that pass" needs to watch it again.

It's fine to criticise when players do things badly but to refuse to acknowledge when they've done something good hints at an agenda or stubbornness.

Edited by mrfahaji

Just watched it again. The ball lands smack bang in the centre of the goal, about 8 yards out, I'd say that's a pretty perfect corner, especially considering it clears the players jumping at the near post.

I guess it all comes down to whether he actually meant to land it there, which, of course, we have no way of knowing! I would normally expect a corner taker to be aiming to get the corner at head height, as you've got a much lesser chance of the opposition cutting the ball out before it reaches your player. So, I will accept that if he was aiming for that area, he nailed it. I'm just not convinced that was his intention!

I thought that Redmond's pass in that move was excellent, in fact I thought he did really well to win the ball back after he gave it away just before that.