Wigan 0 Saints 2 - Post Match Thread

Secret Site Agent

I'd like the view of someone who travelled, but on TV the pitch looked absolutely dreadful.

I realise it's the same for both sides but many times in the first half Saints seemed to get caught out with the weight of their passes because the ball only travelled half the distance along the ground than it would on a decent Premier League pitch.

Pitch was fine. Ok, not premiere league pristine, but certainly in decent nick given the pounding it takes. It did have the odd divot here and there (a bit like this forum [emoji6] ) but it wasn't really that much of a problem. As VFTT said above, the main issue was the wind.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I'd like the view of someone who travelled, but on TV the pitch looked absolutely dreadful.

I realise it's the same for both sides but many times in the first half Saints seemed to get caught out with the weight of their passes because the ball only travelled half the distance along the ground than it would on a decent Premier League pitch.

Just got back. First thing to say was the pitch was truly dreadful .. as bad as I’ve seen, all sand and no bounce at all.. the ball really dragged and coupled with a swirling wind I could only imagine saints would improve after halfvtime. The first half was as bad as I have ever seen and they looked like the premier league team. One thing that worries me was seeing Bertrand give up on one Wigan attack and wave his arms in dismission. I accept Boufal left him exposed but they way Bertrand stooped worries me still. Second half we sorted our selves out, Gabi looked ok but the one on one summed him up from the back pass.. just not urgent enough .. penalty save looked top class from my view though. Carrillo was shocking but watching Hughes grill him I don’t think he will play much more this season ... Personally I think Stephens is a wink link and I though hojberg was a disgrace first half .. improved second half as did Stephens. At the end of the day it’s a good result where other clubs failed but we will need to improve in th PL .. I’d bring Romeu in for Hojberg, Maya for Stephens and Charlie for the Argie if fit next game. Final point I hope the girl in the Wigan stand to the left was ok after that knob threw the flare that landed on her .. that stand looked like it was close to erupting at one point.

Just back from the game. One of the more interesting 436 mile round trips I've had (re: the road conditions!)

A game of two halves... Literally :)

One observation: Lemina looked strangely subdued today - looks a bit unfit?

Wembley here we come

I was not sold on the Hughes appointment but how refreshing to see a manager with a bit of passion and who acknowledged the fans and the players at the end of the game.

Hughes is also responsible for winning that game in the way he changed things at half time, a Pellegrino side would have capitulated.

He has his work cut out though as still no goals from any forwards and plenty of out of form players to contend with. Austin returning may be his god send.

Just got back. Nearly 600 mile round trip and a very enjoyable one a that. Seemed to me that 4500 other Saints fans enjoyed it just as much too. The FA cup is far from dead. We love it. Best game since the Anfield Semi in terms of atmosphere. On the pitch we were absolutely woeful in the first half, with the move to 442 exposing several players (Boufal and Stevens especially), yet the crowd still got behind the players. We were lucky to come away unscathed to be honest, thanks largely to the ineptness of Roberts the useless Skate up front, but we were a completely different outfit in the second half. Sharp and with much more purpose. Taking Boufal off helped, but also Stevens getting a grip of his game too.

I thought we controlled the game reasonably well when we went in front. Wigan tired, which certainly helped. I wonder if all those long ball down the channels turning them round caught up with them? Our direct play perhaps also didn't tire our players out as much also.

One observation: Lemina looked strangely subdued today - looks a bit unfit?

He seemed ok to me, but I think he was a little hesitant on the ball as playing in a central two if he lost it then there wouldn't really be any cover for him.

Don't think there is much more to be said beyond what already has been. First half was atrocious - got outfought and players looked a little confused in possession at times. Second half they had a bit of belief and we grew into the game.

If Hughes wants to play two up top we're gonna need to find a way to do that whilst protecting the central defenders who too often get outmuscled by other players - and combine that with a less than desirable win rate in the air then it's something we really need to consider moving forward. That said, we may just have to win games 3-2 with some newfound attacking verve.

So who's right about the pitch, Micky or Nick?

compared to the pitch at Elm Park in 92 it was an absolute carpet, but there were one or two huge bobbles, most notably one that their keeper did well to contend with in the first half. Overall though it wasn't that bad. I didn't see many miscontrols in the second half. Players just hd to be positive, which we were.

He seemed ok to me, but I think he was a little hesitant on the ball as playing in a central two if he lost it then there wouldn't really be any cover for him.

Don't think there is much more to be said beyond what already has been. First half was atrocious - got outfought and players looked a little confused in possession at times. Second half they had a bit of belief and we grew into the game.

If Hughes wants to play two up top we're gonna need to find a way to do that whilst protecting the central defenders who too often get outmuscled by other players - and combine that with a less than desirable win rate in the air then it's something we really need to consider moving forward. That said, we may just have to win games 3-2 with some newfound attacking verve.

good assessment. the centre midfields and centre backs are very exposed and I am not sure either pairing is quite good enough to cope. Also if we are ti play two up top we are going to need a better return from them otherwise whats the point.

Very entertaining match, I was screaming at the telly - I watched it 2 hours later "as live" as I had been working, and I was doing my best to avoid anything that showed me the score! Yes we were pants in the first half, we simply looked nervous as hell after the Newcastle result, but the half time team talk must have been good because we came out a better team. Fair play Mr Hughes, he also made decent changes. In the end but for their keeper we could have won 4 or 5 nil. Long was very good when he came on and did more in his cameo than Carrillo did all game. Gabbiadini was unlucky not to score, but as he's been used so little under Pellegrino he's probably rusty. Good to see Yoshida on the bench, I'd be slotting him in alongside Hoedt for the West Ham game if he's fully fit as Stephens didn't have the best of games. Well done to Cedric and Hojbjerg for their first goals too.

Bring on Chelsea.

A really poor first half, but looking almost like our old selves in the second half. I'm not sure why we were so bad in the first half, whether it was the residue of Pellegrinoitis, a poor pitch, the cold swirly wind, or a confident Wigan playing on their home turf (or lack of it) and determined to get in our faces. The commentators were rightly full of praise for Wigan's spirited and gutsy performance and thought that a neutral observer would have thought them the PL side. A succession of corners went their way and it was riding our luck expecting that eventually one wouldn't sneak in. They were also a boot lace away from contact with the ball on a couple of wicked crosses in front of goal.

But that is the FA Cup all over, how the minnow can beat the best team in the land in one match having been under the cosh for most of it but keeping a clean sheet, and yet then dominate another PL team at the bottom end of the table for half of the match and yet concede two goals to them. It is the same situation in the semi-final and final, that the other three teams are much better than us, but we could still win the cup if we turn up on the day and lady luck smiles on us in two matches.

Again, who knows why we played so much better in the second half? Hughes' half time inspirational talk? Tightening up our formation, identifying our weakenesses and theirs and addressing both? Wigan increasingly tired? Wind in our favour? Whatever it was, it certainly produced a much more positive performance from us and we then looked to be the PL team, controlling the game, stepping up the pressure and winning a succession of corners ourselves. Typically for us, both of our goals fell to players who had not scored for the club before, a full back and a midfielder. Our strikers hardly ever score because Pellegrino never played two together often enough, and it was nice to see Hughes start with two up top. Gabbiadini is still short of confidence, but showed some nice movement and intent. Carillo didn't look like a threat at any time, but there is time for either him or Long to spend time playing together in training to form an understanding of each others' game.

Hojbjerg's goal was bundled in affair, full marks for determination. Cedric's was a thing of real beauty, a very skillful and well finished solo effort from the left side.

I'm quite happy to get Chelsea instead of United or Spurs. There was a comedy moment when the draw was made, when they showed us in the draw as number 4, Wigan or Southampton. Then the daffy lass summarised us as playing Spurs, wasn't it?

Will miss the semi final as we set sail round the Canary islands on Ventura Saturday 21st April.

I will be in Thailand on my honeymoon. I will have had more weddings than Saints have had FA Cup semi finals since 1986. Just my luck to miss this one ... and it will be at Wembley !!

The time difference will be a killer if it is a 5.30 kick off.

good assessment. the centre midfields and centre backs are very exposed and I am not sure either pairing is quite good enough to cope. Also if we are ti play two up top we are going to need a better return from them otherwise whats the point.

Indeed, and with Carillo so ineffective a better return from the two was never likely and presented the midfield space for Wigan, in the first half. Long made a difference, but against a side like Chelsea there will be a case for Romeu, Lemina and Hojbjerg. Likewise, Yoshida for Stephens is about the only option to tighten up the CB pairing; a real weakness as things stand - how we could do with a player like Sakho to shore things up.

Just got back, great day. My non-match obversations (no point really as all been said and everyone’s seen the game):

Driving through Berkshire this morning and tonight was definitely a bit hairy, saw lots of cars that had come a cropper so hope everyone got home safe.

Atmosphere was great, to be fair the Wigan fans made more noise than I was expecting as the ground was pretty empty with only a few minutes till ko. Our end was top drawer though. Even with such an awful first half we kept on singing and getting behind the team (apart from the usual few numpties who have to shout ‘Tadic / Boufal / Cedric you’re sh1t’ whenever they went close to the ball, hey ho).

Back to the Wigan fans, what possesed them to throw a flare at their own fans, hitting a girl who was clearly freaked (but ok I think) is beyond me.

Pitch was poor, but not as bad as some have said in my opnion, think the wind was more of an issue.

“Marky, Marky Hughes, Marky Marky Hughes, Gonna keep us up and win the FA Cup, Marky Marky Hughes” is an awesome song.

Second away game for my boys (after West Brom in the last round), they loved it, stayed around to get the players autographs by the bus, every kids dream meeting some of their idols, great photos and signed shirts.

Did anyone else think that Manolo Gabbi looked downtrodden today. I think the lad has been put through hell with Pellegrino, he looked nothing like when he first arrived at the club?

His confidence is rock bottom. Good management by Hughes imo to show confidence in him by keeping him on.

Got back from Wigan about an hour ago, good result but first half we looked vulnerable, and like a side coached by Pellegrino still – plodding and lacking any cohesion,; almost as if the players had only been introduced to each other 10 minutes before the game.

Credit where it’s due they certainly stepped it up in the second half, so hopefully that’s an indication of a manager with tactics and motivational skills.

Journey up the M5 was a bit worrying this morning, down to one usable lane for the Worcester to West Brom section, better again after Stoke. Who say's its harder up north ?

Atmosphere was patchy, although mental celebrations on scoring.

Onwards we go... can we beat Chelsea twice in a week ?

Did anyone else think that Manolo Gabbi looked downtrodden today. I think the lad has been put through hell with Pellegrino, he looked nothing like when he first arrived at the club?

Great to hear his name being sang after the penalty, I bet he loved that instead of moans and groans.

Very entertaining match, I was screaming at the telly - I watched it 2 hours later "as live" as I had been working, and I was doing my best to avoid anything that showed me the score! Yes we were pants in the first half, we simply looked nervous as hell after the Newcastle result, but the half time team talk must have been good because we came out a better team. Fair play Mr Hughes, he also made decent changes. In the end but for their keeper we could have won 4 or 5 nil. Long was very good when he came on and did more in his cameo than Carrillo did all game. Gabbiadini was unlucky not to score, but as he's been used so little under Pellegrino he's probably rusty. Good to see Yoshida on the bench, I'd be slotting him in alongside Hoedt for the West Ham game if he's fully fit as Stephens didn't have the best of games. Well done to Cedric and Hojbjerg for their first goals too.

Bring on Chelsea.

I've only ever done that once before, in the Championship when we were live on BBC and lost 3-0 at Blackpool. Never again.

Great to hear his name being sang after the penalty, I bet he loved that instead of moans and groans.

Yep, and also Hughes spoke to him when substituted. Not like Pellegrino and Stamford Bridge who didn't even look at him as he walked to the bench (even though he hadn't done anything wrong).

Feel he's a bit unlucky with his penalties. Ok, today's was a good height for the keeper, but that one and his one vs United were both hit well and right in the corner/side. If the keeper dives the other way you comment that it was a smart penalty. Yet both occasions the keepers have pulled out brilliant saves.

I thought the pitch was terrible, was cutting up during the warmups and why they used the sprinklers, God only knows!! One observation from my point of view, Carrillo in the first-half, looked like he'd never kicked a football before. However, I thought he was much better in the second-half and held up the ball quite well enabling Tadic and Gabbi to get into the game more. I also think kicking towards the Saints supporters, who were excellent throughout, helped lift the team.

Yep, and also Hughes spoke to him when substituted. Not like Pellegrino and Stamford Bridge who didn't even look at him as he walked to the bench (even though he hadn't done anything wrong).

Feel he's a bit unlucky with his penalties. Ok, today's was a good height for the keeper, but that one and his one vs United were both hit well and right in the corner/side. If the keeper dives the other way you comment that it was a smart penalty. Yet both occasions the keepers have pulled out brilliant saves.

Thought he telegraphed which side he was going for and it wasn’t high enough or low enough personally.

Thought he telegraphed which side he was going for and it wasn’t high enough or low enough personally.

Yes, that's true. But he still hit it hard and very close to the post. When you do that, the keeper HAS to make a good save to stop it going in. In both cases, they did.

I guess there is always the argument that a good penalty is one that goes in, but there are degrees of bad penalties that don't!

Been back from the game for two or three hours, glad that I decided to wear thermals and about 7 layers, lost all feeling in my feet/toes though!

General thoughts on the game, aside from the obvious 'dreadful in first half, decent in second':

- The pitch didn't seem that bad, but I did notice the ball holding up a bit, particularly early on. Might also have been the wind, but Cedric was caught out 'waiting' for the ball to run to him and it didn't.

- We're only too happy to play it out to the full backs, but we don't then support them with any purpose ahead of them. So often the ball ends up coming back into Hojbjerg & Lemina (or back to CBs), who are then under pressure in possession.

- Although we attacked a bit more than usual, our players still seem very reluctant to just run into space with the ball. Redmond was (of course) guilty of it, but Cedric was the most frustrating. He's got pace, and sometimes there's nothing on for him and yet he can't just knock the ball down the line and chase after it. Basic stuff a full back should be willing to try. Funny that our second goal came because those two players actually committed themselves to a bit of forward drive.

- So many of our good opportunities came from somebody threading the ball through the gap to a forward player instead of going sideways. Hojbjerg to Gabbiadini or Tadic was quite a common occurrence in the second half.

- Tadic still on the wrong side. I actually thought he played decently in the second half, but assured on the ball, linked play well and for once I noticed him being first to the 50/50 (ok, maybe 60/40) balls. But the chance where he hits the sidenetting (although Gabb was offside) goes begging because it's his weaker foot, and when he does his typical turn-turn-cross (think bamboozling Ivanovic), he has to add another turn because he wants to cross on his left foot, which is not only the wrong angle but also another chance for the defence to close him down.

- I can see issues playing 4-4-2 in the PL. I know people clamour for it, and maybe with Austin playing up there we might end up creating & scoring enough to make it worthwhile, but there is a huge gap between CM & CF, and in the PL I can't see that Lemina & Hojbjerg (or Romeu) won't be overrun by your standard 3 CMs. In the ascendancy it's fine, but when the other team are dominant we look exposed.

- I don't want us to be playing those direct balls all the time (e.g. like first 20 mins of the game), but I think it's good to get the players thinking about that ball. Gabbiadini keeps making those runs, and the penalty the showed that all it takes is one of the balls to be right, and you've got a bl00dy good chance of scoring (yes I know...)

My player ratings:

McCarthy - 7, didn't really 'keep us in it' but also barely did anything wrong. Safe hands, decent kicking and some reasonable if not totally convincing punches.

Cedric - 5, pretty awful performance. Looks the most noticeably nervous/cautious player out there. But took his goal like he's been playing centre forward all his life!

Hoedt - 8, some people have criticised his performance, so maybe I missed something, but I thought he was excellent. I can't remember him not winning a header

Stephens - 7, not a bad performance, did well alongside Hoedt but he's so hesitant to head the ball it sometimes gives us problem (a CB who likes letting the ball bounce... :scared:)

Bertrand - 6, thought he showed flashes of purpose, but as Nathan Byrne was running the show from right back 1st half, not sure that reflects well on him or Boufal...

Hojbjerg - 8. MoM for me, even before he scored. After his interview last week, he had to stand up and be counted, and he did. He didn't get everything right, but he was always looking for the ball and always looking to do something positive. It was fitting that he got the goal (unlike Cedric, ha)

Lemina - 6. Nearly a 7. I think he did ok in that, like PEH, he put himself about and tried to be positive. He just didn't do it as well, and certainly not as well as he can.

Tadic - 6. Did some decent things, doesn't deserve the stick that some people dish out. But in Tadic-style, didn't quite do enough 'very good' things to warrant a 7.

Boufal - 6. Byrne ran the show from RB in the first half, that reflects badly on him. But he still presses/tackles and 2nd half he was improving and was a tad unlucky to come off at the point he was starting to get more joy.

Gabbiadini - 6. Maybe a 5. He kept making the right runs, he probably won more headers than Carrillo. Denied by two great saves. BUT, he has to score from either/both his clear cut chances. As we won, I'm focusing on the positives and going with a 6.

Carrillo - 4. Hmmmm. He actually looks like someone has won a competition to play in a pro football game. He doesn't win 50/50s, he has no pace, he struggles to hold the ball up. Most of the time I struggle to even see where he is. When the ball goes forward, he should be the focal point, he should be making his presence known. Instead you have to look around to see what he's up to. Telling that his best contribution was running out the way of the ball for Hojbjerg's goal, in the same way that he did for Hoedt's vs WBA.

Redmond - 6. Thought he did ok in general, and very well for the second goal. Still refuses to knock the ball into space and chase after it when that's what is needed.

Long - not long enough to warrant a rating, but he offered something for the midfielders to play to and trouble the defence, and showed the effectiveness of some direct running.

Romeu - did what he had to at the end, but didn't stand out. Was walking a tightrope because of his booking situation anyway but understandable sub.

Main thing is we're through! And hopefully that second half will give a bit of confidence to the players and can be a tonic for the league games.

Been back from the game for two or three hours, glad that I decided to wear thermals and about 7 layers, lost all feeling in my feet/toes though!

General thoughts on the game, aside from the obvious 'dreadful in first half, decent in second':

- The pitch didn't seem that bad, but I did notice the ball holding up a bit, particularly early on. Might also have been the wind, but Cedric was caught out 'waiting' for the ball to run to him and it didn't.

- We're only too happy to play it out to the full backs, but we don't then support them with any purpose ahead of them. So often the ball ends up coming back into Hojbjerg & Lemina (or back to CBs), who are then under pressure in possession.

- Although we attacked a bit more than usual, our players still seem very reluctant to just run into space with the ball. Redmond was (of course) guilty of it, but Cedric was the most frustrating. He's got pace, and sometimes there's nothing on for him and yet he can't just knock the ball down the line and chase after it. Basic stuff a full back should be willing to try. Funny that our second goal came because those two players actually committed themselves to a bit of forward drive.

- So many of our good opportunities came from somebody threading the ball through the gap to a forward player instead of going sideways. Hojbjerg to Gabbiadini or Tadic was quite a common occurrence in the second half.

- Tadic still on the wrong side. I actually thought he played decently in the second half, but assured on the ball, linked play well and for once I noticed him being first to the 50/50 (ok, maybe 60/40) balls. But the chance where he hits the sidenetting (although Gabb was offside) goes begging because it's his weaker foot, and when he does his typical turn-turn-cross (think bamboozling Ivanovic), he has to add another turn because he wants to cross on his left foot, which is not only the wrong angle but also another chance for the defence to close him down.

- I can see issues playing 4-4-2 in the PL. I know people clamour for it, and maybe with Austin playing up there we might end up creating & scoring enough to make it worthwhile, but there is a huge gap between CM & CF, and in the PL I can't see that Lemina & Hojbjerg (or Romeu) won't be overrun by your standard 3 CMs. In the ascendancy it's fine, but when the other team are dominant we look exposed.

- I don't want us to be playing those direct balls all the time (e.g. like first 20 mins of the game), but I think it's good to get the players thinking about that ball. Gabbiadini keeps making those runs, and the penalty the showed that all it takes is one of the balls to be right, and you've got a bl00dy good chance of scoring (yes I know...)

My player ratings:

McCarthy - 7, didn't really 'keep us in it' but also barely did anything wrong. Safe hands, decent kicking and some reasonable if not totally convincing punches.

Cedric - 5, pretty awful performance. Looks the most noticeably nervous/cautious player out there. But took his goal like he's been playing centre forward all his life!

Hoedt - 8, some people have criticised his performance, so maybe I missed something, but I thought he was excellent. I can't remember him not winning a header

Stephens - 7, not a bad performance, did well alongside Hoedt but he's so hesitant to head the ball it sometimes gives us problem (a CB who likes letting the ball bounce... :scared:)

Bertrand - 6, thought he showed flashes of purpose, but as Nathan Byrne was running the show from right back 1st half, not sure that reflects well on him or Boufal...

Hojbjerg - 8. MoM for me, even before he scored. After his interview last week, he had to stand up and be counted, and he did. He didn't get everything right, but he was always looking for the ball and always looking to do something positive. It was fitting that he got the goal (unlike Cedric, ha)

Lemina - 6. Nearly a 7. I think he did ok in that, like PEH, he put himself about and tried to be positive. He just didn't do it as well, and certainly not as well as he can.

Tadic - 6. Did some decent things, doesn't deserve the stick that some people dish out. But in Tadic-style, didn't quite do enough 'very good' things to warrant a 7.

Boufal - 6. Byrne ran the show from RB in the first half, that reflects badly on him. But he still presses/tackles and 2nd half he was improving and was a tad unlucky to come off at the point he was starting to get more joy.

Gabbiadini - 6. Maybe a 5. He kept making the right runs, he probably won more headers than Carrillo. Denied by two great saves. BUT, he has to score from either/both his clear cut chances. As we won, I'm focusing on the positives and going with a 6.

Carrillo - 4. Hmmmm. He actually looks like someone has won a competition to play in a pro football game. He doesn't win 50/50s, he has no pace, he struggles to hold the ball up. Most of the time I struggle to even see where he is. When the ball goes forward, he should be the focal point, he should be making his presence known. Instead you have to look around to see what he's up to. Telling that his best contribution was running out the way of the ball for Hojbjerg's goal, in the same way that he did for Hoedt's vs WBA.

Redmond - 6. Thought he did ok in general, and very well for the second goal. Still refuses to knock the ball into space and chase after it when that's what is needed.

Long - not long enough to warrant a rating, but he offered something for the midfielders to play to and trouble the defence, and showed the effectiveness of some direct running.

Romeu - did what he had to at the end, but didn't stand out. Was walking a tightrope because of his booking situation anyway but understandable sub.

Main thing is we're through! And hopefully that second half will give a bit of confidence to the players and can be a tonic for the league games.

My player ratings;

McCarthy - 7,Agreed - There was a corner that could have made it into the net - Which he saved and off his line for all their corners - Good shift

Cedric - 5 Doesn't know if he is having a **** or a hair cut. One minute he is league one, next minute he is champions league. Needs sorting.

Hoedt - 5, Nervous, Nervous, Nervous, but a decent shift if a difficult pitch.

Stephens - 6- So many positives, but still a few negatives about his game.

Bertrand - 6 Convince me you want to be here Ryan and double convince me you should be captain.

Hojbjerg - 5 Had he not scored he would have been slated. Control the ball and then ...and then pass to a Saints player. Woeful first half - Made amends in the second.

Lemina - 6.How can someone so talented, give the ball away so many times.

Tadic - 1 Time to bench him. On his day unplayable, but at the moment he is a cheating, lazy, uncommitted liability. We are in a dog fight. Not our man.

Boufal - 4 One of the most talented players I've seen.- But wasn't much use today. Have to question whether we go silk or steel. No place for him ATM if we go steel.

Gabbiadini - 3 Missed from 6 yards and missed from 12 - Not his day- But he makes some fantastic runs.

Carrillo - 4. Hmmmm.

Redmond - 8. Changed the game,

Romeu 6 - did what he had to at the end, but didn't stand out. Was walking a tightrope because of his booking situation anyway but understandable sub.

Edited by Gemmel

Hojbjerg - 5 Had he not scored he would have been slated. Control the ball and then ...and then pass to a Saints player. Woeful first half - Made amends in the second.

Tadic - 1 Time to bench him. On his day unplayable, but at the moment he is a cheating, lazy, uncommitted liability. We are in a dog fight. Not our man.

Redmond - 8. Changed the game,

Not sure how Redmond changed the game when we were already winning and playing well when he came on.

Not sure giving anybody a 1 is justifiable, especially when said player definitely wasn't our worst player today.

As for Hojbjerg, when he had the header moments before the goal, I said "that would have been fitting, because he's been our best playing so far today", so clearly didn't see what you saw.

At the game or watch on TV?

Funny how people see games differently, now it may be as i can't stand redmond but I thought he was poor, he got very lucky with 'assist' he has a tendency to under hit pass's and also passing it across field resulting in dangerous situations for us or someone bailing him out, happened twice when we were 1up luckily think lemina got there, also as mentioned still won't knock it past someone and go

Not sure how Redmond changed the game when we were already winning and playing well when he came on.

Not sure giving anybody a 1 is justifiable, especially when said player definitely wasn't our worst player today.

As for Hojbjerg, when he had the header moments before the goal, I said "that would have been fitting, because he's been our best playing so far today", so clearly didn't see what you saw.

At the game or watch on TV?

At the game ....as I was last week in Newcastle

At the game ....as I was last week in Newcastle

Ok, was just interested in whether it made a difference in perspective. So you didn't think Hojbjerg was the engine of our play today? Always making himself available, making forward passes, basically being brave on the ball? As I said in my original comments, he didn't do everything perfectly, but I thought he was involved in nearly everything that we did.

And do you honestly think Carrillo played better - 4 times better - than Tadic today? At the very least, Tadic set up the goal with his corner. I think he did a lot more than that, but I'm not sure Carrillo had more than three or four decent touches during the whole game.

You might have felt Hoedt was nervous, fair enough, our whole back line is, but did he make any mistakes? Because you've rated him the same as Cedric, and I thought Cedric had a bit of a shocker, especially first half.

No idea what Hughesy did for the second half but we were a different team.

Did he stop Gabby running onto stupid pumped balls in the hope Carrillo would knock one on?

Ask Boufal and Tadic to become team players?

Hoping he learnt plenty and that he should have the players down an army base these next two weeks plus getting them attacking better as a unit.

Funny how people see games differently, now it may be as i can't stand redmond but I thought he was poor, he got very lucky with 'assist' he has a tendency to under hit pass's and also passing it across field resulting in dangerous situations for us or someone bailing him out, happened twice when we were 1up luckily think lemina got there, also as mentioned still won't knock it past someone and go

Redmond's a frustrating player and has been much inferior this season compared to last. I'd much rather have Sims or Boufal playing ahead of him. You get the impression Hughes probably rates Redmond on what he's seen in the past, similarly with Tadic. He probably hasn't seen a lot of Sims; I hope that doesn't mean Sims won't play much of a part in the crucial last 8 games.

Just finished watching the BBC coverage having got home from the game.

lol - the Beeb were totally devastated - they tried to big Wigan up every opportunity.

If they remotely threatened the commentator sounded like he was gonna have a heart attack and everything was: "Oooh great clearence / cross / block / pass by [Wigan player]"

It was a nice story that they beat Man City - but at the end of the day - no cares about Wigan and the ratings would have been terrible.

MH has had the team 5 days and Wigan were always going to have their tails up with nothing to lose, first half we were very slow to the ball and Wigan were pressing hard. Saying that they didn't work AM much for all their effort. 2nd half MH obviously had a word and we looked much more up for it. We had some guilt chances and we could(should) have had 4.....

Strikers look short of confidence, but looking forward to the 31st and the WHU game. Semi final draw didn't matter too much as Spurs, Chelsea and Utd will all be hard games. Get to the final and might have a good chance of Europe next year!

It’s great to win and by more than one game. I hope that Hughes learns much from this game and the players take courage, fight and confidence from it.

I want Guido to do well, really do...but I’m not seeing enough from him and I think this is largely down to his movement and positioning which is quite poor. Whether that’s due to others not finding him at the right time is arguable - I don’t think so...he just isn’t in the right place at the right time...ever.

I thought Cedrics goal was World class - in the move he looked Henry-like than Redmond...way way better, although admittedly Redmond created the opportunity. Gabbi made the pen too easy to call...left footed player will generally most times hit to left of the keepers down guess what the keeper pulled what looks like Worldy!

Absolutely spot on with the call on left footed penalty takers. A right handed goalkeeper has a much better chance of saving a left footers penalty than any other combination. Unbelievable how unprofessional we are with penalties.

After we scored we seemed to take the burners off, after a good start to the second half, and Wigan came right back at us. For me a the PL team we should have been capable of taking the sting out of with some controlled possession (I know those are two dirty words after MoPe) once we got the second (slightly fortuitous but well taken by Cedric) goal we then controlled the rest of the game. It felt to me after we went 1 up we don't cope well with Wigan's inevitable backlash.

You have the same fear of failure as Pellegrino. You have even used the phrase 'controlled the game'. lol.

Good to see us start with two up top. Won't be the answer every game, but not being pig headed and stubborn about it is a positive. Refreshing to see us still attacking whilst a goal up with the second goal scored by an overlapping fullback. Wouldn't have happened in a million years under Pellegrino. We have a decent shot at winning enough games to stay up under Hughes. Feeling a lot more positive. Boy does Tadic need to step up his game though. Sims is waiting for another chance...

My assessment is Wigan did great, their tactics worked well for most of the game, the tactical watering of the pitch also worked in their favour, their GK played a blinder and with some better finishing they could’ve been 2 or 3 up at half time......but the most important thing for me that came out of that game was that we overcame all of that and ended up looking like a half decent side with a win and a bit of confidence, I’m happy with that, small steps in the right direction.

COYR

To be fair the lad hasn't looked too happy for a while. Form, manager or just not settled ... it could be one or all three really.

Have to say though our fans have really got behind him and keep singing for him. I think we all recognise he is a talented player, just a case of getting the best out of him while we have him. Hopefully Hughes may be able to give insight. Even though his record as a manger is a tad patchy there is no doubting he was a top quality striker.

On a side note I think some are being a tad harsh on Carillo. I'm not going to say he's started great but he has played a part in some of our better movements/goals from corners lately. Don't get me wrong I think we won't see too much from him this season but, should we scrape survival, we may be able to get more out of his next term. He has come into a team playing utter dross. I can't remember him missing a myriad of chances so again maybe with others playing better around him ...

We all largely agree we needed the option of a target man like Lambert or Pelle, he may be able to come good and fit the brief. Then again buggered if I know, I thought Olly Lancashire was going to be top quality!

Completely agree, Hojberg and Stephens in particular too weak for me.

Apart from that cracking weekend up in Wigan and well deserved win, good numbers in that away end all things considered.

Drive him back to Monaco and beg for a refund

Under the Trades Descriptions Act, what you purchase has to be fit for purpose. If it doesn't do what it is sold to do, you can get a refund.

However Monaco can say it's a case of Buyer Beware; they didn't advertise any attributes and gave no warranty that he was of any use whatsoever.

It is rather like "Designer" pair of jeans - rip holes in them, stone wash the life out of the material, quadruple the price and some mug thinks they have bought quality when all they have done is pay a fortune for a hefty price ticket.

Just finished watching the BBC coverage having got home from the game.

lol - the Beeb were totally devastated - they tried to big Wigan up every opportunity.

If they remotely threatened the commentator sounded like he was gonna have a heart attack and everything was: "Oooh great clearence / cross / block / pass by [Wigan player]"

It was a nice story that they beat Man City - but at the end of the day - no one cares about Wigan and the ratings would have been terrible.

I watched live on the BBC and reached the same conclusion. The BBC had decided on the story of the match before kick-off and had the commentators primed to show bias to Wigan at every opportunity. The producers had probably decided that viewers would be on the side of the ‘underdog’ and that Southampton could be disregarded because of not being one of the elite clubs with a national following.

To have commentators screaming the name of a Wigan player because he’d had a wild punt from outside the penalty area was faked, and simply adolescent. Given the few days in which Mark Hughes had to change the set-up and tactics of the team it was remarkable that they took only 45 minutes to adapt and kept Wigan at bay during that time. 2-0 was a good win but lets not forget it should have been 3-0 but for Gabbiadini being deliberately brought down when he was about to score. Until FIFA relaxed the red card rule in 2016, the defender would have been sent off and it was arguable that he should have been for denying a goal-scoring opportunity. The keeper was lucky that he dived to the side that Gabbi put the ball with his penalty kick but the BBC were so busy praising him for the save, that they failed to discuss whether blatant cheating to prevent a goal is good for the game.