Hughes Hyperthetical Summer Transfer Window

Dan Johnson

James Madisson

Ryan Sessegnon

Moussa Dembele

DeVrij

Goalkeeper to challenge McCarthy

Sell Forster, Redmond, Carillo and Long

Sessegnon, lol. Considering PSG are one of a number of teams interested in him, I doubt he'll come to us. We could probably get Stephane Sessegnon.

James Madisson

Ryan Sessegnon

Moussa Dembele

DeVrij

Goalkeeper to challenge McCarthy

Sell Forster, Redmond, Carillo and Long

Sessegnon, lol. Considering PSG are one of a number of teams interested in him, I doubt he'll come to us. We could probably get Stephane Sessegnon.

De Vrij, lol.

Seriously though, we’re way below his stature!

I reckon some random Jonny foreigners. However I’d like to maybe see some descent younger championship players brought in, amoungest others.

Edited by Wrensup

Let's assume Hughes keeps us up and is given the job full time, which players who have played under Hughes would you take from other clubs?

Shaqiri?

Joe Allen?

Shawcross?

Zouma?

Martins Indi?

Bojan?

Just because we beat Wigan of League 1 I am not at all confident we will be in the PL next season as we have hardly any winnable games in the next few weeks and strikers who cannot score goals.

But hope I am completely wrong

We certainly need a dominant CB to play alongside Hoedt. And if Bertrand goes, we need another LB. and we need to sort out what we're doing in the striker positions. I don't expect everyone to go, but can certainly see a few being replaced.

McCarthy

Cedric NEW Hoedt NEW

Hojbjerg Lemina

NEW Boufal NEW

NEW

We certainly need a dominant CB to play alongside Hoedt. And if Bertrand goes, we need another LB. and we need to sort out what we're doing in the striker positions. I don't expect everyone to go, but can certainly see a few being replaced.

McCarthy

Cedric NEW Hoedt NEW

Hojbjerg Lemina

NEW Boufal NEW

NEW

'Dominant' centre backs aren't easy to find, if you mean someone like van Dijk, who is one of the best defenders in the league. So instead, I take that to mean someone who is good in the air - but isn't that Hoedt's strength? He's decent on the ball as well, but he doesn't strike me as particularly quick across the ground.

I'd go as far to say what we need at CB is someone that complements Hoedt by being quick, reading the game well, but also not being terrible in the air a la Stephens. Yoshida actually fits that bill, but he's still a little bit suspect in the air.

'Dominant' centre backs aren't easy to find, if you mean someone like van Dijk, who is one of the best defenders in the league. So instead, I take that to mean someone who is good in the air - but isn't that Hoedt's strength? He's decent on the ball as well, but he doesn't strike me as particularly quick across the ground.

I'd go as far to say what we need at CB is someone that complements Hoedt by being quick, reading the game well, but also not being terrible in the air a la Stephens. Yoshida actually fits that bill, but he's still a little bit suspect in the air.

Someone with a bit of pace for sure, but someone with a bit of a physical stature. Not easy to find, but they are out there. Ammadu at Lillie or Issa Diop at Toulouse are two that fit that mould.

Here is my verdict:

IN: ISSA DIOP or Christopher Julien

Stuart Armstrong > Steven Davis

Sisto or Promes or Fekir or Yann Karomoh, Marcus coco or highly unlikely Ziyech ( take your pick )

Moussa Dembélé or Matej Vydra

Not sure who to sell:

Not sure we would want anyone from Stoke bar Shaqiri, should also be noted that most of the players Mark Hughes apparently wanted whilst he was there were signed by us.

Butland maybe but he'd be super expensive for a keeper and he seems to still be very error prone.

Zouma seems to have gone off the boil, but looks like the kind of centre-back we need, again might be a player like Lovren (for us, not now) that with the right set up and management could be a top player.

Left-back wise I think we could rehabilitate Shaw, looks pretty certain Utd are letting him go this summer and he has 1 year left on his contract.

We'll see in the summer if the Promes deal is still on, certainly the sort of player we need, basically we need a Mane mk2, even if he is a little worse.

This is all presuming we stay up of course.

Someone with a bit of pace for sure, but someone with a bit of a physical stature. Not easy to find, but they are out there. Ammadu at Lillie or Issa Diop at Toulouse are two that fit that mould.

Fair enough, I'd go with that. Essentially someone who won't be bullied by the centre forward. I just think it's easy to say "a dominant CB" without appreciating that a superb all-rounder isn't easy to find, so we would be better off looking for someone with one or two specific strengths.

I believe we need a keeper. We could do with a good strong CB, and good in the air but one not too slow of foot. Sims might be able to save us some money as he shows distinct promise.

Our strikers are our biggest concern and we need at least one and maybe two.

Probably two as we always seem to have at least one injured.

If we stay up, regardless of who our manager is, I'd like to see us try to take advantage of the big teams' big spending. Mourinho is famous for letting talent get away. I don't even mean Luke Shaw, but also players like Fosu Mensah and Tuanzebe. Solanke and Grujic at Liverpool, Loftus Cheek at Chelsea etc. They all have too much money to bother nurturing young players.

If we need a left back to replace Bertrand and we also want to look at up and coming Championship players rather than abroad, then I believe Fulham have one who has been getting very good reviews recently. He's also well within our price range... Matt Targett anybody? Okay he's not quite Ryan Sessegnon yet, but I think he's out of our range anyway with Spurs & PSG chasing him. It'll be a while before we sign a £50m left back.

Replace yoshida with a Zouma or a martins Indi to give us better balance at centre back. Hoedt hasn’t been the dominant presence hoped for when he was signed.

As good as Shaqiri is he isn’t what we need. We already have boufal/tadic in that sort of playmaker mould. Plus I also think Hesketh’s talented too. What we need is a pacey direct attacking midfielder.

Let's assume Hughes keeps us up and is given the job full time, which players who have played under Hughes would you take from other clubs?

Shaqiri?

Joe Allen?

Shawcross?

Zouma?

Martins Indi?

Bojan?

Absolutely none of the above, if Hughes couldn't motivate them at Stoke what makes you think he'd want them here. Jack Butland would be nice, maybe we could do a swap deal with the big man?

The first task is to stay in the league, the next is to decide if Hughes is the right man to take us forward. Don't automatically assume that if he keeps us up we'll feel we owe him one and reward him with a new contract.

We do need a senior CB 'though very urgently to steady the back line and give the kids some breathing space and tuition. I'd go for Cahill who has dropped out of favour at the Bridge.

May as well just copy and paste the January thread.

We still need a CB, pacey winger and a CF as a priority.

A nice to have is GK and creative CM (Still want Wilshere, although doubt much chance now... got laughed at for suggesting him pre-season, but he's showing the class that I knew he had, again this season).

Shaqiri?

Joe Allen?

Shawcross?

Zouma?

Martins Indi?

Bojan?

Probably, El Duce will not give Sparky the job and will get a compliant Non-English t*sser in again

He would then do his Summer xfer imbecile thing for the 3rd window in a row and when xfers are done will bring in a 3rd manager in a row.

3rd manager in 3 summers not to have a say in xfer dealings. The good old Les Reed t*sser's way.

In Les Reed we trust. Do NOT question his pathetic judgement at any home match, as is the Saints Supporters way. COYR.

If we stay up, regardless of who our manager is, I'd like to see us try to take advantage of the big teams' big spending. Mourinho is famous for letting talent get away. I don't even mean Luke Shaw, but also players like Fosu Mensah and Tuanzebe. Solanke and Grujic at Liverpool, Loftus Cheek at Chelsea etc. They all have too much money to bother nurturing young players.

I'd agree with this and it seems to fit our transfer model. It'll mainly be a mixed of up and coming players who wont get a look in at big clubs (Bertrand, Hojbjerg, Romeu, Lemina) and promising players who aren't ready yet, from foreign leagues (Virgil, Mané, Boufal).

As for outs, I'd sell Forster, Davis, Long, Austin, Boufal, Carrillo and Clasie.

The first task is to stay in the league, the next is to decide if Hughes is the right man to take us forward. Don't automatically assume that if he keeps us up we'll feel we owe him one and reward him with a new contract.

... or that he'll want to stay.

I don't think he relocated to Staffordshire whilst at Stoke but the commute from Cheshire was a relatively easy one. If he turns us round then I imagine his stock will rise considerably and he might want to consider other options (for several reasons, location only one of them).

If we need a left back to replace Bertrand and we also want to look at up and coming Championship players rather than abroad, then I believe Fulham have one who has been getting very good reviews recently. He's also well within our price range... Matt Targett anybody? Okay he's not quite Ryan Sessegnon yet, but I think he's out of our range anyway with Spurs & PSG chasing him. It'll be a while before we sign a £50m left back.

Yep, I do feel if Bertrand leaves this summer then it'll be a fight between McQueen and Targett to be first choice left back. Would be very surprised if we replaced him with another transfer. Neither is quite there yet, but as we've seen with Stephens they may well get a chance.

Yep, I do feel if Bertrand leaves this summer then it'll be a fight between McQueen and Targett to be first choice left back. Would be very surprised if we replaced him with another transfer. Neither is quite there yet, but as we've seen with Stephens they may well get a chance.

I would hope the board aren't deluded enough to think this but as you say, they did it with Stephens, so you could well be right. If Les thinks that a defence of Cedric, Hoot, Stephens and Targett will so anything other than battle relegation next season (even assuming we did stay up this year) then lord help us.

How do you now its a space-filler, cretin ?

Far be it from me to jump in on other peoples scraps, but can we all play nicely now? I don't car who started it, you are both as bad as each other and should know better. If you don't stop, we will have to take away your phones and computers for a day - see how you like that.

Anyway, in terms of who would be sold to make up the profit, didn't we get a world record transfer fee for a defender, making a profit of about £40 to 50million in the process, and spend £19m in return. That seems to have us about £20 to £20m up. And I am sure there will be a the normal few leavers in the summer, as is standard for us. Would imagine Bertrand would look to be off, and it may be a summer to offload Tadic and see what we can get for him at the Saints FC great summer car boot sale. Probably £25 to 30m for those two I would guess.

Is this a come get me plea from Butland?

Stoke City goalkeeper Jack Butland says that he hopes Southampton can avoid relegation from the Premier League this season.

Butland says that he wishes Mark Hughes all the best and hopes Stoke and Southampton can stay up.

Stoke and Southampton currently sit 19th and 18th in the Premier League table, Stoke on 27 points and Southampton on 28.

West Ham and Crystal Palace are in the two spots above the drop, with both sides on 30 points.

Is this a come get me plea from Butland?

Stoke City goalkeeper Jack Butland says that he hopes Southampton can avoid relegation from the Premier League this season.

Butland says that he wishes Mark Hughes all the best and hopes Stoke and Southampton can stay up.

Stoke and Southampton currently sit 19th and 18th in the Premier League table, Stoke on 27 points and Southampton on 28.

West Ham and Crystal Palace are in the two spots above the drop, with both sides on 30 points.

I have to say if we do stay up I hope the plan to improve our squad is not built around buying up a load of Stoke players.

Hopefully all these links to Hughes ex players is just abit of lazy click bait journalism.

Anyway, in terms of who would be sold to make up the profit, didn't we get a world record transfer fee for a defender, making a profit of about £40 to 50million in the process, and spend £19m in return. That seems to have us about £20 to £20m up. And I am sure there will be a the normal few leavers in the summer, as is standard for us. Would imagine Bertrand would look to be off, and it may be a summer to offload Tadic and see what we can get for him at the Saints FC great summer car boot sale. Probably £25 to 30m for those two I would guess.

I beleive that money has probably gone to service Gao's credit. Any anyway, MoPe needs paying off.