Two games against Chelsea, which is more important?

OttawaSaint

If a genie let you guarantee a win in one of the two games coming up vs Chelsea (meaning we lose the other one).

Which one would you pick?

League or Cup?

The cup, cause i have already come to the conclusion we will lose that game as we will either not score, or be out scored by chelsea, so cup for me, can pick up other points in the league, a chance for euro football next year and prem survival, yeah ill take that

Initial reaction was depends how many points we've earned before we play them in the league, but didn't realise there is only two games before that fixture and even two wins in the next too aren't enough. So definitely the league game. Think they're stuck in 5th so maybe they'd prefer the chance of a cup win, maybe a deal could be done ;)

We certainly do not want a repeat of Strachan's two games against Arsenal at the end of the 2002/03 season, when he played a weakened team in the first one, so we got thrashed, and were then demoralised for the second one. We should field our strongest team for both games..

cup.

chelsea home game is one where im expecting 0 points anyway, a free hit per-say, so yeah cup. I think cup fixture being second kind of hinders it a little bit however, as I do not want us to go into that cup game on the back of a 3-0 league defeat for example.

Cup. This is the 12th FA Cup semi final in the clubs history. We have only been to 4 Finals. Whether we are in the Championship or Premier League next season, the chance to win the FA Cup is something that doesn't come around very often.

The league will sort itself out.

Cup.

1. The league game is a bit of a free hit not expected win, if we go down it's not going to be because we lost at home Chelsea.

2. I'd take being relegated if we won the cup, it's something you remember for years and I think we'd likely get back within 1-2 years anyway.

3. if we do stay up, whatever we do in the league next year it's likely to not be very exciting as we will need to re-build and progress a lot to be back challenging top 6/7 again.

League.

Sod's Law says we beat Chelsea in the semi final, play Spurs in the final and then hand Pochettino his first trophy.

The media will be creaming themselves over Poch and how he beat his old team to hold aloft the FA Cup.

It will be a media vvank fest over him and Spurs and I don't want to see that at the expense of Saints.

League.

Sod's Law says we beat Chelsea in the semi final, play Spurs in the final and then hand Pochettino his first trophy.

The media will be creaming themselves over Poch and how he beat his old team to hold aloft the FA Cup.

It will be a media vvank fest over him and Spurs and I don't want to see that at the expense of Saints.

So. Your attitude is that rather than try and fail, we should just throw it away and avoid the hassle of even trying. This team lost a cup final they should have won against United last season. United are much the same team this year, and are the best team left in the cup. I imagine our team will perform just as well in another final. And also, should we reach the final, the club knows its only cup win was against united...

So. Your attitude is that rather than try and fail, we should just throw it away and avoid the hassle of even trying. This team lost a cup final they should have won against United last season. United are much the same team this year, and are the best team left in the cup. I imagine our team will perform just as well in another final. And also, should we reach the final, the club knows its only cup win was against united...

Well done for taking my post so literally.

It's just a hypothetical scenario that I have absolutely no idea will happen.

I made no reference to throwing it away, I hope the team win the cup and stay in the Premier League.

However, right now I would prefer three points in the league.

Easy one. League.

(Assuming we'll need to get at least a point from the Chelsea game to stay up. However, if the Chelsea league game turns out to be a 'free hit' (due to our other results) then the answer is 'cup'... Basically, on reflection, there's too many unknowns to be able to decide definitely)

Edited by trousers

We certainly do not want a repeat of Strachan's two games against Arsenal at the end of the 2002/03 season, when he played a weakened team in the first one, so we got thrashed, and were then demoralised for the second one. We should field our strongest team for both games..

No comparison, we were safe that time so could afford to play a weakened team. This time we are guaranteed to be playing our strongest team in the league game against them, for obvious reasons.

Guaranteed 3 points in the league over Chelsea please, which would take the pressure off more "winnable" games such as West Ham, Bournemouth, Swansea, Everton and even Leicester. We need ten points for survival IMO, so 3 from Chelsea means we'd only need two wins and a draw from the other 7 games. Then get to the summer with safety behind us, and hope Les either ****s off, or has learned from his mistakes.

However I have reassessed a former opinion - I'd rather win the cup and get relegated than stay up and not win it, not that that's what is being asked here...

....compared to the scintillating stuff we've been treated to over the last two seasons?

Nope, I would want the board to have learned from their mistakes, sell a bunch of players such as Davis, Long, Austin, Carrillo, Boufal and Clasie, then reinvest the money (plus that from Van Dijk) wisely in some decent players and a long term manager.

If we go down, players like Carrillo will be way above our station. Think about that for a while.

Based on the criteria that you have to win one and lose one then I'd lose the first and win the second as winning the second will both put us in the cup final and also give us a confidence boost for our remaining games.

Cup. If we lose to Chelsea in the league, we could still very easily stay up. If we lose in the Cup, we don't get another chance. I've never seen us get so far in the FA Cup but I REALLY want us to win it or at least get to the final. I actually want it slightly more than I want to stay up.

If it's survival vs cup win I'd choose survival (another thread). But that's not the question here, so I'd choose the semi-final win. We'd still have a decent chance of survival if we lose against them in the league, since we don't have the clown in charge any more. And the other winnable/6 pointer games against West Ham, Swansea etc. are more important.

If this was a choice of 'win the FA Cup' or 'take 3 league points', then I would say 'win the FA Cup'.

However, as you said only 'get to final of FA Cup' or 'take 3 league points' I will say 'take 3 league points' as they may be crucial and I would be pessimistic against Tottenham in the final.

Mind you, I was pessimistic in 1976, and we won that one against the odds.