Our best 3 signings since returning to the premier league

ChiefScummer

Wanyama, Pelle, Davis.

Van Dijk is clearly the best player but those three contributed far more to the club. I think we as a fanbase underestimate how important it was to replace Lambert well in the exodus window. He could have left the biggest void of all but Pelle filled it perfectly.

Edited by DuncanRG

Pelle, Bertrand, Mane

Vice and Virg falling just short because I think we miss Mane and Pelle more than we miss those two. Bertrand has never had a bad season in my opinion, even this one he’s quite often been our best player in games, and now is in his 4th season is it? Surprised he’s still here.

Lovren - this will be unpopular but huge upgrade on what we had before (Hooiveld) and facilitated Alderweireld and VVD joining later on. Brilliant signing for what we paid and the impact he had

Wanyama - another huge upgrade and so key to how we played

Mane - brilliant signing

But if we are talking single best since being back in the PL then Pochettino totally changed the perception of the club and was by a distance the best addition.

Telling that barely anyone has named a player who still plays for us.

Vvd

Bertrand

Mane

got to be this trio. sure wanyama gave us something we lacked in midfield for a while but we all remember his 5 yard passes straight to the opposition striker, for me bertrand has been our best performer in recent years while the other 2 were just class

Lovren - this will be unpopular but huge upgrade on what we had before (Hooiveld) and facilitated Alderweireld and VVD joining later on. Brilliant signing for what we paid and the impact he had

Mane - brilliant signing

But if we are talking single best since being back in the PL then Pochettino totally changed the perception of the club and was by a distance the best addition.

I was about to write something similar re Lovren. That Poch team set the tone; it showed that we could achieve top half finishes and play attractive football. Lovren was a key part of that.

Mane - brilliant signing

Agree the bit about Poch but I remember the anger at the time, he was unknown and old Lawrie Mac called him 'a lad that doesn't speak English' sometimes those in charge -NC at the time-do know best.

VVD

Mane

Wanyama

My goodness this thread highlights the amount of superb players that have passed through the club in the last few years.

I always think back to the players we've had here Bale, Lambert, Shearer, Channon, Keegan, Shilton, Wright (Mark not Jermaine), Walcott, The Ox, Wallace brothers.

Pelle-helped us move on from Lambert and was a vital focal point. Still struggling to replace him

Mane-absolutely electric and had the power to create something out of nothing. Created so much space for Tadic etc to operate

Wanyama-I remember a time when we used to bully every other midfield in the league and he was the main reason for that. Made Morgan, Fonte, Davis look like absolute world beaters

Depends if we're talking the best or most important to us, as there seems to be a bit of overlap here.

The best:

1. Aderweireld - Absolute class from start to finish. Gutted it was only a loan, could we really have had him and Virgil if he had stayed?

2. Virgil - Absolute beast. Pace, strength, technique and ( until he got Vardy'd) incredible fitness.

3. Mané - Unplayable on his day, ripped some top teams apart but too many lazy/it's too cold days IMO.

The most important:

1. Boruc - We'd never have stayed up with Kelvin or Gazza in goal.

2. Davis - Added some key experience, leadership and bravery which helped keep us up and has been a fantastic long term servant.

3. Lovren - Such a massive improvement on our leaky defenders at the time and signaled a move from relegation fighters to top half perennials.

Sadio Mané - So good on the ball, great pace and great finisher. Will always remember his record breaking super fast hat trick. Infact that game, when the ref pretended to take away his match ball at the end, was one of the few times i saw him smile. Shame he's gone.

Graziano Pellè - Ended up being a bargain and took to the prem with ease. Lots of really good goals and the occasional lovely flick on. Never forget that worldy he scored against QPR, which totally overshadowed the stunner that Austin scored against us earlier in the match. Seemed to bring the best out of Tadic. Shame he chased the big money. Another season here would have been better for us and him. He hasn't had a look in for Italy since he left us.

Steven Davis - A great server since our return to the Prem. And excellent passer and reader of the game. Time may not be on his side now as he's started to pick up the odd injury which he's pretty much avoided his whole career when you looks at the shear number of appearances he's put in. Still has plenty to offer imo.

I can't leave this without mentioning Jay Rodriguez. The game he got injured he was on 17 for the season and was on a streak of 5 goals in the previous 4 games. Who knows what may have happened if things turned out different. Such a shame.

Best signings or best players signed? I suppose if the former, you could argue that a short stay militates against calling someone a good signing, which would explain why some people are picking a lumpen mediocrity like Davis.

If you're just talking about the three best players that we've signed, then its obviously Mane, VVD and Wanyama, with Bertrand the only plausible outside pick.

Sadio Mané - So good on the ball, great pace and great finisher. Will always remember his record breaking super fast hat trick. Infact that game, when the ref pretended to take away his match ball at the end, was one of the few times i saw him smile. Shame he's gone.

Graziano Pellè - Ended up being a bargain and took to the prem with ease. Lots of really good goals and the occasional lovely flick on. Never forget that worldy he scored against QPR, which totally overshadowed the stunner that Austin scored against us earlier in the match. Seemed to bring the best out of Tadic. Shame he chased the big money. Another season here would have been better for us and him. He hasn't had a look in for Italy since he left us.

Steven Davis - A great server since our return to the Prem. And excellent passer and reader of the game. Time may not be on his side now as he's started to pick up the odd injury which he's pretty much avoided his whole career when you looks at the shear number of appearances he's put in. Still has plenty to offer imo.

I can't leave this without mentioning Jay Rodriguez. The game he got injured he was on 17 for the season and was on a streak of 5 goals in the previous 4 games. Who knows what may have happened if things turned out different. Such a shame.

It wasn't overshadowed, Pelle's goal was better.

Mane - absolute x-factor, last player we've had to regularly get you off your seat

VVD - the best defender I've ever seen for Saints, he's got the lot

Bertrand - filled a hole when Shaw left that was as much about the disappointment of a young talent leaving as the ability that we lost, despite uncertainty about him when he signed, and has gone on to be one of the most consistent English players in the league

Mane vvd Víctor. Those who say Davis wtf??

Depends if you're reading it as the three best players or the three best signings, if the later then Davis is a contender he has played a significant part in our success and arrived at the club at a time when we really needed some experience, similarly Brouc has to be in contention for best sign as without him we would have been relegated that first season back.