What Is The Most Amazing Place In The World That You Have Been Too

Gemmel

The Pelion in Greece is stunning and the solitude of some the places I’ve ridden to in the French Alps spring to mind, although my favourite is the Col d’Ornon.The D211A and B balcony roads near Alpe d’Huez are pretty amazing , but the prize has to go the Maldives. Lucky enough go a couple of times the seaplane transfer was just brilliant last month.

I think my favourite cities are San Diego, Stockholm, Tallinn and Riga. Oslo and Copenhagen are good too, although the former especially is pretty expensive.

Annecy in France is gorgeous.

Was in Lodz recently, which is one of the less touristy Polish cities. Not much to do other than drink but for some that's enough.

Went to Jeddah even more recently. The old town had a certain charm and the street vendors were less forceful than those in other places, like Egypt.

The Grand Canyon is pretty spectacular and some of the surrounding areas, like Flagstaff and Sedona are nice too.

I've been to Annecy. Beautiful place. We were there for several days. A highlight of our stay was renting bicycles and riding a long way down the western side of Lac d'Annecy.

My wife and I did a three-week holiday (in April, last year) touring around Provence, in the south of France. Fantastic place.

Some other favourite destinations: Paris, Venice, Florence, Patmos, Mykonos and Crete.

I suppose I take London for granted. I've been there many times. It's a wonderful city to explore.

Edited by Hamilton Saint

I'm lucky enough to have traveled and awful lot but it's so very hard to narrow it down to a single place.

I Europe Venice would take some beating, seen from the lagoon on the water taxi it's simply something else. I also, like others, love Sardinia with special mentions to Parma & Florence. In fact we love Italy so much I've already been once this year and we're going back in May.

Helsinki is also pretty damn cool & I've always loved Bergen and Bruges is a bit of a gem as is Gent.

In the Americas I'd have to say the coast north of San Francisco & Vancouver including the Sunshine Coast.

That said, the most jaw dropping stunning place I've ever been to and every likely to go to, is Bora Bora. I thought Tahiti and Moreea were spectacular, and they are, but Bora Bora was on a whole different level.

I'm lucky enough to have traveled and awful lot but it's so very hard to narrow it down to a single place.

I Europe Venice would take some beating, seen from the lagoon on the water taxi it's simply something else. I also, like others, love Sardinia with special mentions to Parma & Florence. In fact we love Italy so much I've already been once this year and we're going back in May.

Helsinki is also pretty damn cool & I've always loved Bergen and Bruges is a bit of a gem as is Gent.

In the Americas I'd have to say the coast north of San Francisco & Vancouver including the Sunshine Coast.

That said, the most jaw dropping stunning place I've ever been to and every likely to go to, is Bora Bora. I thought Tahiti and Moreea were spectacular, and they are, but Bora Bora was on a whole different level.

I love Italy. Been round the Almalfi Coast/Capri/Sorrento way

Stunning (if you stay out of Naples that is)

Very difficult to narrow it down, ones that immediately come to mind are:

Cities: Vancouver, London, Cape Town and Seville

Beeches: Diego Garcia, The Gower, The French Atlantic Coast from Ile de Noirmoutier

to Les Sables-d'Olonne.

Scenery: West Coast of Scotland (when the sun is shining), Amalfi Coast, North Yorkshire Moors, Serra de Tramuntana Majorca.

Historic: Pompeii, Valley of the Kings, Rome, Avebury.

Also love Scandinavia, Brittany, and anywhere in Italy.

Don’t have a bucket list, but have plans for: New England, Thailand, Singapore, Australia, Mexico, Gotland, in the next couple of years.

Well actually England. We Brits have a habit of undervaluing what we have in this country and its sheer variety of topographical beauty. Yes, things are not perfect but don't dig too deeply below the surfaces in your imaginary paradises.

....and yes I have travelled the world in my business career and seen a great deal of it.

Well actually England. We Brits have a habit of undervaluing what we have in this country and its sheer variety of topographical beauty. Yes, things are not perfect but don't dig too deeply below the surfaces in your imaginary paradises.

....and yes I have travelled the world in my business career and seen a great deal of it.

Agree, but the question was about ones opinions of amazing places they had visited, for sheer variety, beauty, history and accessibility the British Isles really do take some beating (Portsea Island excluded).

Some bits of the UK are stunning, I just love the Isle of Purbeck and that whole stretch of coast from Studland to Durdle Door. A year or so ago I came across an absolute gem close to the border between England and Wales on the edge of the Black Mountains, namely the Eywas Valley. I was with my daughter helping her do some research for her dissertation on post glacial mass movements. Absolutely stunning landscape with a ruined priory at Llanthony and the highest road pass in Wales in the Gospel Pass which links Abergavenny and Hay on Wye.

Everywhere is unique and awesome.

The most consistently interesting for me was the Cape of Good Hope. Stuff just comes at you when you least expect it, like an ostrich running over your BBQ, Penguins, Great White sharks, baboons, mountains, two oceans colliding....Other places also have a ton of cool stuff like that, but there it is always all around you in a way that you don't have to go see it. It comes and sees you......Whether you want it to or not.

Everywhere is unique and awesome.

The most consistently interesting for me was the Cape of Good Hope. Stuff just comes at you when you least expect it, like an ostrich running over your BBQ, Penguins, Great White sharks, baboons, mountains, two oceans colliding....Other places also have a ton of cool stuff like that, but there it is always all around you in a way that you don't have to go see it. It comes and sees you......Whether you want it to or not.

Where is Ohio in that list?

Where is Ohio in that list?

Lower than a snake's ding dong!! :D I did thoroughly enjoy the area in and around Plymouth MA though. I loved it there, great place!! I only wish I had the cash to travel more in the US. I'm so close, yet missing so much. :(

Edit: Wifey and I plan to retire by selling the house and RVing till we die.....Yeah, like that will actually happen. ;)

Edit to the edit: Come to think on it, when I imagine something stupid and ill-advised......I usually end up doing it. I'm surprised it hasn't killed me yet.

Edited by Ohio Saint

Plenty of mentions for Sorrento / Almafi / Positano. Only had a few days there staying in Sorrento.

Enjoyed the laid back feel of the Fisherman's Beach area in the evening and walking back up to town through the tunnel through the cliff after a few bottles of vino!!

Day Trips to Pompeii and Almafi Coast were great fun. The day we went to Pompeii it was raining in biblical proportions with thunder and lightening - barely any buildings had a roof so we got soaked,

but strolling around Pompeii unchallenged in the ampitheatre belting out Oh When The Saints was amazing. Even in its derelict state (still in better nick than Fratton :lol:) the acoustics were stunning, sounded like

our singing at San Siro!! You can only imagine what it was like full of people baying for blood as Centurians did battle. The weather was much better on our trip to Ravello which surprisingly hasn't been given a mention (that I've noticed). The views from the top ....stunning.

I know my haunt of Dubai won't get any mentions but an overnight camping trip (and some dune bashing) deep deep into the desert far far away from any artificial light is a magical experience.

The stars and moon seem so bright that it casts shadows and you'll see numerous shooting stars (don't believe the make a wish myth ... Saints still haven't won The Prem/Fa Cup/ Champs League Treble and my todger is still the same size :rolleyes:)

Plenty of mentions for Sorrento / Almafi / Positano. Only had a few days there staying in Sorrento.

Enjoyed the laid back feel of the Fisherman's Beach area in the evening and walking back up to town through the tunnel through the cliff after a few bottles of vino!!

Day Trips to Pompeii and Almafi Coast were great fun. The day we went to Pompeii it was raining in biblical proportions with thunder and lightening - barely any buildings had a roof so we got soaked,

but strolling around Pompeii unchallenged in the ampitheatre belting out Oh When The Saints was amazing. Even in its derelict state (still in better nick than Fratton :lol:) the acoustics were stunning, sounded like

our singing at San Siro!! You can only imagine what it was like full of people baying for blood as Centurians did battle. The weather was much better on our trip to Ravello which surprisingly hasn't been given a mention (that I've noticed). The views from the top ....stunning.

I know my haunt of Dubai won't get any mentions but an overnight camping trip (and some dune bashing) deep deep into the desert far far away from any artificial light is a magical experience.

The stars and moon seem so bright that it casts shadows and you'll see numerous shooting stars (don't believe the make a wish myth ... Saints still haven't won The Prem/Fa Cup/ Champs League Treble and my todger is still the same size :rolleyes:)

For sheer stunning views though .... not much can beat the view from the top of any ski resort when all you can see as far as the eye can see is snow covered mountains topped by crystal clear blue skies, and far away in the distance the villages you have to ski back to way down below.

This time last week I was doing just this 10000 feet up on the Swiss/Italian border at Cervinia/Zermatt. Roll on next March.

Some bits of the UK are stunning, I just love the Isle of Purbeck and that whole stretch of coast from Studland to Durdle Door. A year or so ago I came across an absolute gem close to the border between England and Wales on the edge of the Black Mountains, namely the Eywas Valley. I was with my daughter helping her do some research for her dissertation on post glacial mass movements. Absolutely stunning landscape with a ruined priory at Llanthony and the highest road pass in Wales in the Gospel Pass which links Abergavenny and Hay on Wye.

Llanthony Priory is stunning, and have driven on the Gospel Pass - wasn’t that the opening credits on Antiques Roadshow?

Uk - best places I’ve been to are Derwen****er, Salcombe, Porthcurno is particularly amazing, on a hot day you can’t believe you aren’t in the Med. Near us there is an NT property called Coleton Fishacre, a 1920s property with stunning grounds and a cove with clear water. High Peak, Malham and Gordale Scar, Tan Hill Inn, Fleet Moss Road, Wharfedale, Lindisfarne, Malvern Hills, Norfolk Broads, Brecon Beacons. So much still to see. Dartmoor and Exmoor on our doorstep lovely.

World - BVI and Virgin Gourda e.g. The Baths, Barbados, Grenada, Abaco Islands Bahamas, Copenhagen, Malmo, Melbourne, Sydney, Blue Mountains, Tasmania, NZ Fjords, Arthur’s Pass and Southern Alps, Christchurch pre quake, Wellington, Ghent, Amsterdam, Algarve

Would love to do some of the UK long distance walking trails now - Pennine and Dales Way, MacMillan Way, Coast to Coast - anyone walked these or similar?

VFTT - I rarely get envy but I am big time about Bora Bora! Always dreamed of going there. Must be like Virgin Gourda x10

I'm lucky enough to have travelled to some pretty remote and/or dangerous places, as well as plenty of exotic places around the world, courtesy of my old job in oil exploration. I'm retired now, but that has now given my wife and I the chance to visit many of the more exciting places that people have mentioned on this thread.

However, when the OP says most amazing of places, one that nobody has mentioned on here (that I've spotted), and probably for a good reason, is the Yemen. I spent a year travelling in and out of the Yemen in 2000/01 (the season we left The Dell) on a one year contract. During that time I saw practically the whole country. Based in Sanaa, I travelled extensively, usually overland, undertaking geological and geophysical surveys, and drilling the odd well here and there. Once you get out of the few "civilised" cities, it's like travelling 500 years back in time, with some truly amazing places to visit. The Hadramaut, with the mud skyscrapers of Shibam and the other towns are awesome, but there are plenty of other equally outstanding places.

Not on your usual tourist agenda, there have been countless civil wars, it was relatively quiet when I was there, apart from the bombing of the US Cole in Aden harbour, and a bomb lobbed into the UK embassy compound (just down the road from where I lived). However, what really encouraged me not to renew my contract was the kidnapping of four drilling engineers who I knew, two of whom were executed.

And a pretty nasty one at that if you stray too far from Manhattan. Pamps obviously didn't take the Bronx at night option..

No, definitely not... :D

I was in Portland in Oregon a couple of years ago and was wandering at night on my own. Unfortunately I got a bit lost and things got a bit scary. Portland actually reminds me of Southampton a bit, in terms of the fact that it's location has potential, but the reality is there is sod all to do there.

But in terms of Manhattan, there is really is nowhere like it in the world

I'm lucky enough to have travelled to some pretty remote and/or dangerous places, as well as plenty of exotic places around the world, courtesy of my old job in oil exploration. I'm retired now, but that has now given my wife and I the chance to visit many of the more exciting places that people have mentioned on this thread.

However, when the OP says most amazing of places, one that nobody has mentioned on here (that I've spotted), and probably for a good reason, is the Yemen. I spent a year travelling in and out of the Yemen in 2000/01 (the season we left The Dell) on a one year contract. During that time I saw practically the whole country. Based in Sanaa, I travelled extensively, usually overland, undertaking geological and geophysical surveys, and drilling the odd well here and there. Once you get out of the few "civilised" cities, it's like travelling 500 years back in time, with some truly amazing places to visit. The Hadramaut, with the mud skyscrapers of Shibam and the other towns are awesome, but there are plenty of other equally outstanding places.

Not on your usual tourist agenda, there have been countless civil wars, it was relatively quiet when I was there, apart from the bombing of the US Cole in Aden harbour, and a bomb lobbed into the UK embassy compound (just down the road from where I lived). However, what really encouraged me not to renew my contract was the kidnapping of four drilling engineers who I knew, two of whom were executed.

Socotra island looks amazing too. Did you go there?

Llanthony Priory is stunning, and have driven on the Gospel Pass - wasn’t that the opening credits on Antiques Roadshow?

Uk - best places I’ve been to are Derwen****er, Salcombe, Porthcurno is particularly amazing, on a hot day you can’t believe you aren’t in the Med. Near us there is an NT property called Coleton Fishacre, a 1920s property with stunning grounds and a cove with clear water. High Peak, Malham and Gordale Scar, Tan Hill Inn, Fleet Moss Road, Wharfedale, Lindisfarne, Malvern Hills, Norfolk Broads, Brecon Beacons. So much still to see. Dartmoor and Exmoor on our doorstep lovely.

World - BVI and Virgin Gourda e.g. The Baths, Barbados, Grenada, Abaco Islands Bahamas, Copenhagen, Malmo, Melbourne, Sydney, Blue Mountains, Tasmania, NZ Fjords, Arthur’s Pass and Southern Alps, Christchurch pre quake, Wellington, Ghent, Amsterdam, Algarve

Would love to do some of the UK long distance walking trails now - Pennine and Dales Way, MacMillan Way, Coast to Coast - anyone walked these or similar?

VFTT - I rarely get envy but I am big time about Bora Bora! Always dreamed of going there. Must be like Virgin Gourda x10

I hiked the Coast-to-Coast Walk (west to east) in 2015 with two of my best friends from school. We took 14 days. Incredible experience. Highly recommended.

From an historical perspective I would like to add Mycenae, Epidavros and a special mention to Pompeii and Herculaneum very atmospheric.

Yeah. My wife and I visited Mycenae and Epidavros in 1986. Memorable experiences. We also visited several impressive historical sites along the Aegean coast of Turkey: Troy, Pergamon, and Ephesus.

I hiked the Coast-to-Coast Walk (west to east) in 2015 with two of my best friends from school. We took 14 days. Incredible experience. Highly recommended.

Cheers Hamilton, getting a real pull to do that or PW. C2C a bit more affordable than PW so might be my choice.

Pampelmousse - difference between Southampton and Portland has to be the beer culture, Portland is a true world city in that sense, amazing breweries and bars. Did you partake whilst you were there? In fairness to Soton, good micro pub culture springing up. Was particularly impressed with the Butchers Hook in Bitterne Triangle. Heard the SW Arms in St Denys shut though.

On the downside, much further to visit the Cascade Mountains or Olympic National Park from there!

Cheers Hamilton, getting a real pull to do that or PW. C2C a bit more affordable than PW so might be my choice.

Pampelmousse - difference between Southampton and Portland has to be the beer culture, Portland is a true world city in that sense, amazing breweries and bars. Did you partake whilst you were there? In fairness to Soton, good micro pub culture springing up. Was particularly impressed with the Butchers Hook in Bitterne Triangle. Heard the SW Arms in St Denys shut though.

On the downside, much further to visit the Cascade Mountains or Olympic National Park from there!

Loads more micros opening though one in Romsey decent, Oxford Street, new one in Chandlers Ford plus the one that used be be old Holt&Haskell in Shirley - getting good for beer now Southampton.