What Is The Most Amazing Place In The World That You Have Been Too

Gemmel

I am lucky that I have managed to do a fair bit of travelling, but having just found out I will be on a trip to Tel Aviv in April, it will give me the chance to go back to Jerusalem, which for me is the single most amazing place, I have ever been to, but almost impossible to articulate why.

Difficult choice, but probably Galapagos.

Iguassu Falls, Milford Sound, Madagascar, Machu Picchu, Ankor Wat all up there too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wow - Will edit my post to read as I've done a tiny tiny bit of travelling. Two of yours are on my list, for one day.

I am lucky that I have managed to do a fair bit of travelling, but having just found out I will be on a trip to Tel Aviv in April, it will give me the chance to go back to Jerusalem, which for me is the single most amazing place, I have ever been to, but almost impossible to articulate why.

Can agree with the OP. Having been fortunate enough to head to Israel in the EL last season, both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are amazing places! Completely not what I expected.

For me, the best place I have personally been is Vancouver. Stunning in the summer and great for winter sports during the colder months.

St Lucia (best beach I've seen) and Rio (was out there for the world cup) also up there.

I am certainly very lucky to have travelled so much, although I didn't start until I was in my 50s. Still places on the bucket list, though. Want to do Iceland, a safari and New England.

Agree with comments about Rio and Vancouver!

Meant to add that, yes, Jerusalem was an awesome experience. Beer Sheva maybe less so.[emoji849]

Edited by Shroppie

I’m not as well traveled as others but for me Sardinia is pretty lovely !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, love it there, we went last year and are off back again in May.

I couldn't name one place, lots of places for different reasons. I did a Safari in Tanzania a few years back where we did a sun rise hot air balloon rise over the Serengeti which was simply incredible. Few over a few feet over hippos, elephant, lions, Rhino, then the highlight was seeing a leopard running though trees with a cub in it's month, must only have been 10 foot above it. As part of the safari saw all the big 5, the highlight was when we watched a Cheetah stalk a gazelle (and miss!) Was an incredible experience.

Personally I have a love for Italy, Venice, Rome, The Amalfi Coast, Sardinia, Bologna, Florence are all brilliant places. Cuba and Mauritius was great for beaches, the Red Sea for Snorkelling and diving. Love the Greek Islands. Even found Morrocco fascinating, the Atlas Mountains, Marrakesh etc.

Difficult to choose one so don't get me started...

Rome & Paris of course, never get tired of them.

New Zealand

Yosemite, San Francisco

Grand Canyon

West coast of Ireland

Outer Hebrides

Orkney

Isles of Scilly

Pompeii & Herculaneum

New England is something special (Shroppie, give us a ring!)

Cape Cod

Maldives

Mauritius

Bermuda

Then there are the cruises...

Just come back from a cruise round Cape Horn so Santiago, Cape Horn, Falklands, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Iguassu Falls, Rio, Península Valdés in Patagonia

Back from Dubai so Suez Canal, Egypt - Cairo, Luxor, Vally of the Kings, Sea of Galilee

Panama Canal & drive out to Key West on the Overseas Highway

Most of the Caribbean islands

Spitsbergen

Iceland

Waikiki Beach

Cape Town, Namibia and Cape Verde

Balaclava, Sebastopol and Odessa

Plenty more left to see and many that we would like to go back to. At our age getting travel insurance is the main consideration.

I went to Israel as a teenager back in the 70’s it was a fantastic place. Did all the Bethlehem & Jerusalem stuff, but the highlight for me was a resort on the Sea of Galilee. I keep trying to take the snap dragon there, but she’s a bottle job and won’t go.

Personally, I love the Greek islands, the people are fantastic, weather great in spring & summer, and there’s some beautiful beaches and little coves. Kos being my favourite. South Florida is also a personal favourite, and the west coast of FLA, Tampa/ St Pete is beautiful .

Cities, Dublin Miami & Montpellier stand out. For the crack it’s Playa del Inglés / Maspalomas, its like 18-30’s holiday for 50 year olds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went to Israel as a teenager back in the 70’s it was a fantastic place. Did all the Bethlehem & Jerusalem stuff, but the highlight for me was a resort on the Sea of Galilee. I keep trying to take the snap dragon there, but she’s a bottle job and won’t go.

Personally, I love the Greek islands, the people are fantastic, weather great in spring & summer, and there’s some beautiful beaches and little coves. Kos being my favourite. South Florida is also a personal favourite, and the west coast of FLA, Tampa/ St Pete is beautiful .

Cities, Dublin Miami & Montpellier stand out. For the crack it’s Playa del Inglés / Maspalomas, its like 18-30’s holiday for 50 year olds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. What is the sand like on the Greek beaches?

2. How about 69 year olds?

I think my favourite cities are San Diego, Stockholm, Tallinn and Riga. Oslo and Copenhagen are good too, although the former especially is pretty expensive.

Annecy in France is gorgeous.

Was in Lodz recently, which is one of the less touristy Polish cities. Not much to do other than drink but for some that's enough.

Went to Jeddah even more recently. The old town had a certain charm and the street vendors were less forceful than those in other places, like Egypt.

The Grand Canyon is pretty spectacular and some of the surrounding areas, like Flagstaff and Sedona are nice too.

Personally I have a love for Italy, Venice, Rome, The Amalfi Coast, Sardinia, Bologna, Florence are all brilliant places. Cuba and Mauritius was great for beaches, the Red Sea for Snorkelling and diving. Love the Greek Islands. Even found Morrocco fascinating, the Atlas Mountains, Marrakesh etc.

The amalfi coast is on my hit list !! Looks great.

Difficult choice, but probably Galapagos.

Iguassu Falls, Milford Sound, Madagascar, Machu Picchu, Ankor Wat all up there too.

That's one of those places I've always imagined as being ruined by fat, gobby American tourists wearing sandals with socks TBH.

Amazing in a slightly different way, Dhaka, Bangladesh.

The amazing clash of desperate poverty, people scratching a living from nothing and living in any bit of land available in the urban areas contrasting with the wealth of a few fortunate ones will stay with me for the rest of my life. The challenges that people have over there make 99% of the grumbles in the UK utterly trivial.

That's one of those places I've always imagined as being ruined by fat, gobby American tourists wearing sandals with socks TBH.
Not if you go there to see sunrise at 4:45 am. As I did, and it was beautiful, atmospheric and amazing. And it's where I proposed to my now wife. So maybe I remember it with excessive fondness, but I don't think so. Incredible place.

Most surreal place is the Eastern Qing Tombs 80 miles north east of Beijing. Up in the mountains, it was virtually deserted when I went, save for the odd tourist and a few local kids using the statues as goalposts. On the one hand, the place was straight out of Indiana Jones -its on the World Heritage site; on the other, it had all the life of an out-of-town retail park on a late Sunday afternoon.

My favourite 'close' getaway city. Got it all - climate, beaches, stuff to do and fantastic beer.

Yellowstone National Park is most amazing. Sulphur pools, geysers, friendly buffalo, etc. Highly recommend a visit before it blows.

San Diego

Oops.

My favourite 'close' getaway city. Got it all - climate, beaches, stuff to do and fantastic beer.

Yellowstone National Park is most amazing. Sulphur pools, geysers, friendly buffalo, etc. Highly recommend a visit before it blows.

Oops.

When that blows it’s goodbye USA. Just make sure you’re upwind of it ;)

Do the 3 day hike/camping up there, was a couple of gobby young ones in the group but they were soon puffed out so got less annoying! :lol: If you ever down that way stay in the Sacred Valley, stunning.

Surprised Rio gets a mention, found it a large ****ehole. Beaches were not even that great.

Hard to pinpoint a place in all our travels, I think sat on top of Mount Kinabalu in the fresh early morning taking in the views is one of my most recent favourite ones, killed my legs though getting back down. :lol:

When I brought my kids to see Blighty they were genuinely impressed by Stonehenge. As is it just up the road from most of you, it wont likely make the list, but I wanted to mention it....

When I was a kid it was just a pile of stones in a field miles from anywhere. You could park in the lane next to it and climb over the fence and then climb all over the stones and you’d be the only people there.

When I was a kid it was just a pile of stones in a field miles from anywhere. You could park in the lane next to it and climb over the fence and then climb all over the stones and you’d be the only people there.
As a Rag Week stunt we once erected an additional cardboard henge labelled "Stonehenge Redevelopment Stage 1". But I was an irresponsible student then.

Not if you go there to see sunrise at 4:45 am. As I did, and it was beautiful, atmospheric and amazing. And it's where I proposed to my now wife. So maybe I remember it with excessive fondness, but I don't think so. Incredible place.

Agreed. It's one of those places that you half expect not to be as good as when you see it for real, but it is spectacular.

The amalfi coast is on my hit list !! Looks great.

I've been to Vancouver and Toronto, New England (all 6 states), Los Angeles, Florida, Seattle, Thailand, Hong Kong, about a dozen Greek Islands, Tunisia, much of Europe.

But I'm with you, Italy is outstanding. I've done (several times for many of the following) Venice, Rome, Florence, Trieste, Sienna, Bologne, Turin, Milan, Amalfi coast, Sorrento, Neapolitan Riviera, Italian Lakes, Riviera del fiori, Sicily(3).

Out of all of them though, there is nowhere else that matches the Neapolitan Riviera for sights, scenic beauty, culture, architecture and history. The list includes Naples, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Capri, etc. Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Rome is also doable in a day trip too.

Italy is a fantastic place, Rome, Venice, Bologna and Florence all beautiful places to go. France can be pretty spectacular too - and not just Paris.

San Francisco is up there for me. Loved everything about it.

Went to Morocco when I was younger - Atlas mountains and the desert are incredible.

Honestly though, London is still my favourite place in the world. So much history and sights to see, always changing and such an amazing mix of people. I think we forget how lucky we are to have one of the greatest cities in the world on our doorstep.

Bucket list for me is Argentina and Brazil plus New Zealand. Australia can do one - too many things that can kill you.

Yosemite for me, spectacular views whatever way you look, being in California a short drive from San Fran makes it my favourite place. Venice is probably equally amazing in it’s own way tho, been there a few times and it never stops being just as fascinating each time. Also love the Greek islands, Swiss Alps and Mayan ruins, particularly Tulum.

Yosemite for me, spectacular views whatever way you look, being in California a short drive from San Fran makes it my favourite place. Venice is probably equally amazing in it’s own way tho, been there a few times and it never stops being just as fascinating each time. Also love the Greek islands, Swiss Alps and Mayan ruins, particularly Tulum.
The Mayan ruins at Copan, Honduras were very impressive. As a whole, Honduras is a beautiful country but full of very scary people.

Honestly though, London is still my favourite place in the world. So much history and sights to see, always changing and such an amazing mix of people. I think we forget how lucky we are to have one of the greatest cities in the world on our doorstep.

An American friend of mine is always literally awestruck when he visits London. He calls it the Capital of the World - and he is a guy who travels 200 days a year, lives in Washington DC and before that New York.

The Mayan ruins at Copan, Honduras were very impressive. As a whole, Honduras is a beautiful country but full of very scary people.

Roatan is a little less scary, fantastic diving. But Honduras has almost the highest murder rate in the world, something like 80 times higher than Britain!

Roatan is a little less scary, fantastic diving. But Honduras has almost the highest murder rate in the world, something like 80 times higher than Britain!
That did cross my mind as our minibus was held up at gunpoint. They wanted a ransom to let us continue. Was just a little worrying when the driver refused, but I'm here to tell the tale.

Did go to Roatan too.

Edited by Shroppie