Who would be on Saints' Mount Rushmore?

Bad Wolf

Who are the four most important figures in Saints history that you'd carve into our own Mount Rushmore to commemorate Saints?

MLT, Rickie Lambert, Markus Liebherr, Ted Bates.

It really was difficult to choose between Lambert and Paine but went with Lambert partly because he pretty much took us through the league's single handed and also simply because I've actually lived through Lambert's time here whereas I don't actually know a huge amount about what we did under Paine other than I think getting promoted to the first division so I had to go with Rickie.

Ted Bates, Ron Davies, Mick Channon and Matthew Le Tissier.

Bates also played for us and was Mr Southampton.

Davies was always able to seemingly hang in the air before heading the ball home.

Channon for his weight of goals.

Tiss for keeping us in top division almost single handed.

Ted Bates, Ron Davies, Mick Channon and Matthew Le Tissier.

Bates also played for us and was Mr Southampton.

Davies was always able to seemingly hang in the air before heading the ball home.

Channon for his weight of goals.

Tiss for keeping us in top division almost single handed.

Hard to argue with this. Too bad, however, that there's no room for Terry Paine.

The official site has had a poll of the best Saints XI, thought there might be a thread about it but as this is sort of related...

Lallana got in. Hard to imagine which Saints fans could stomach voting for him even if they really thought he was one of the three best midfielders ever in a Saints shirt...

Who are the four most important figures in Saints history that you'd carve into our own Mount Rushmore to commemorate Saints?

MLT, Rickie Lambert, Markus Liebherr, Ted Bates.

It really was difficult to choose between Lambert and Paine but went with Lambert partly because he pretty much took us through the league's single handed and also simply because I've actually lived through Lambert's time here whereas I don't actually know a huge amount about what we did under Paine other than I think getting promoted to the first division so I had to go with Rickie.

Terry Paine was the creative hub of the incredible group of players that brought us out of the old Division Three mire and up towards our first Premier League status. Saint Rushmore wouldn't be without that group of players that forged The Southampton Way - Chivers, Sydenham, Ron Davies, Channon, and more. but none served Saints as long and with as much distinction as Terry Paine MBE.. Ted Bates might not be Mr Southampton without them, and Marcus would have probably never have heard of Saints, imho. So our four most important figures have to include one from those important days in our history.

So Paine, Bates, MLT, Lambert

Beat that.

Terry Paine was the creative hub of the incredible group of players that brought us out of the old Division Three mire and up towards our first Premier League status. Saint Rushmore wouldn't be without that group of players that forged The Southampton Way - Chivers, Sydenham, Ron Davies, Channon, and more. but none served Saints as long and with as much distinction as Terry Paine MBE.. Ted Bates might not be Mr Southampton without them, and Marcus would have probably never have heard of Saints, imho. So our four most important figures have to include one from those important days in our history.

So Paine, Bates, MLT, Lambert

Beat that.

If you use that argument then surely you have to include Lawrie McMenemy? Not only did he continue on from where Ted left off and take us to another level, but he is also the only manager to win us some major silverware. On top of that he manager to sign the former European Footballer of the Year to an unfashionable club. So then - Paine, Bates, McMenemy and a bun fight over the fourth spot but I would give it to MLT, undoubtedly the most gifted player the club has had in my lifetime.