Saints apply to join Women's Championship

The Saint

About time, in the days before the current modern surge of Womens football, into the media limelight Southamptons Ladies Football Team did alright, they were the team to fear in the Womens FA Cup for many years with 8 wins, only Arsenal are ahead of them on the trophy engravings scores.

About time, in the days before the current modern surge of Womens football, into the media limelight Southamptons Ladies Football Team did alright, they were the team to fear in the Womens FA Cup for many years with 8 wins, only Arsenal are ahead of them on the trophy engravings scores.

Getting a season ticket for them?

So I presume they would be based at Staplewood, or would they play certain games at SMS?

Commercially it makes sense. The women's game is bigger in America, and if we're running these soccer school camps in Baltimore, I'm sure we can tap into some of the local talent.

Where have I been negative?

I wouldn't blame you for being negative.

Even at international level, the standard is extremely poor (considering they are supposed to be elite performers, I can't imagine how bad it is at 'championship' level.

The recent focus on women's football is all down to PC anyway. A different subject all together I know, but don't get me started on BAME managers.. How about just give it to the best man / women for the job (I'm not saying that currently happens BTW, football is notoriously 'a job for the boys').

Waste of time and effort. They should concentrate on the first team not getting relegated first.

Can you please explain exactly how applying for a woman's team in 2018/19 season will have any impact on the remaining 8 Premier League games for the mens team? This is a business with a turnover of £182m and has hundreds of employees... it is capable of doing multiple things at the same time.

Can you please explain exactly how applying for a woman's team in 2018/19 season will have any impact on the remaining 8 Premier League games for the mens team? This is a business with a turnover of £182m and has hundreds of employees... it is capable of doing multiple things at the same time.
You would think so but the impression from the club over the past two seasons is they have been less invested on what is going on with the first team and have focused a lot on side projects. I don't think this will have an impact but it could be another example of this.

No I can't.

It's just shit, but then I guessed you'd like it.

Waste of time and effort. They should concentrate on the first team not getting relegated first.
Scrap all our community charity work, youth teams and reserve teams while we're at it.

Ffs it'll be run by an entirely different group of people than the first team.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

They were the top team in the country in the 1970s, winning the FA Cup in 71. 72, 73, 75, 76, 78, 79 (I don't know what went wrong when they got to the finals in 74 &77).

I was at school with one of the girls (1964-69 age 11-16) and although she wasn't allowed to play with the boys in sports games she would join in with the boys when we would kick a tennis ball around at lunchtime and after school in the playground (as so many school kids did).

She was AS GOOD if not BETTER than most of the boys of her age..... Dot Cassell was an important part of that team as I remember.

I'm all for it. Doesn't impact on anything the first team or academy do. Also gives the local girls that play football the chance to aim for playing for a club they support.

Some people on here sound like the blokes at a men's only golf club who think women should only be allowed in to serve drinks and bend over to pick up things they've dropped so they can say stuff like "while you're down there love."

This is a good thing, and long overdue, plenty of girls support saints and can now hopefully dream of playing for their club when they grow up just like their brothers and dads etc, equality= having the opportunity to realise your potential. Usual depressing attitudes by some, the old "not very good" or the favourite quote of the average fat armchair expert "lacking technical ability" being chucked about, probably by the same people who watch their awful sons sunday morning team all chase the ball at the same time,and then bore everyone else with stories about how good they are !!!

I like the way saints have gone about this as well. We've spent a fair few years running youth girls teams, graduates of which I assume will now make up the bulk of the senior team.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I don't think the Southampton youth girls teams that have been running are affiliated to the club. Could be wrong but that's the impression I got from a bloke I know who manages a girls team.

I don't think the Southampton youth girls teams that have been running are affiliated to the club. Could be wrong but that's the impression I got from a bloke I know who manages a girls team.

You are wrong:-) The Club have been running girl's "academy" (Regional Talent Club) for a couple of years or so now, several of the girls have been called up for age group international duties. There used to be an informal tie up with another women's team (Southampton Saints?), Fran Alonso used to be the Coach, but that was back in the Poch/Koeman era.

Problem I see is that the Club are not guaranteed to get a licence for the Championship, which is apparently way over-subscribed. If they don't get in it will probably be a long time before a vacancy is created. Hope they succeed, Saints used to be the top ladies team in the country, but it all fell apart and then was finally killed off by Lowe.

The club are constantly posting articles/videos about the girls teams on their website and social media.

The club are constantly posting articles/videos about the girls teams on their website and social media.

Constantly?

I've never seen any, but then I don't visit the website other than to buy away tickets and am not on Facebook. A quick trawl through their twitter timeline reveals one post about women's football in the last week. Sorry, I must have been offline for a second that day and missed it. Silly me.

What does that mean for Southampton womans fc who are already plying their way thru the leagues ?

Nothing I guess, they will be seperate teams.

Something I discovered just now doing some digging, the womens team that won the cup 8 times is not the one that had an affiliation with the club pre-relegation. That was Red Star Southampton (later Southampton Saints). I remember a Kim that used to post on the saints forum who played for them.

Interestingly we already have a talented coach/manager from the area who has done an amazing job with Milwall Lionesses in the same league Saints have applied for. Be interesting if Saints would make a move, he's very highly regarded and managed some mens non league teams in the area.

As I now have the full house on my women's football cliché bingo card you may now close the thread.

"Take away the focus from the men's team" - give me strength. Have a look at how many different sports and teams are associated with Barcelona..

Was it you who used to play women's football? I think it was when you lived in a different country, can't remember which one. I'm sure you mentioned it once or twice though.

Is anyone on here really interested in woman's football? I wish them well but can't honestly see it getting anywhere near the men's game (in terms of attendances) anytime soon. The BBC are doing their best to promote it at every possibility but I am still yet to be convinced. Possibly not the most PC comment but I am just being honest

Is anyone on here really interested in woman's football? I wish them well but can't honestly see it getting anywhere near the men's game (in terms of attendances) anytime soon. The BBC are doing their best to promote it at every possibility but I am still yet to be convinced. Possibly not the most PC comment but I am just being honest
It's basically a different sport. No problem at all with it but it's a bit cringe when they have the men's and womens football captains together in adverts as if they are in some way comparable.