Fans' Ultimate XI revealed

Saint Garrett

No idea how this was picked, sure there are a few names missing...!

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-03-28/southampton-fans-ultimate-xi-revealed-seacity-museum

width=1050

GOALKEEPER

• Peter Shilton

DEFENDERS

• Jason Dodd

• Claus Lundekvam

• José Fonte

• Wayne Bridge

MIDFIELDERS

• Alan Ball

• Matt Le Tissier

• Adam Lallana

STRIKERS

• Rickie Lambert

• Mick Channon

• Alan Shearer

SUBS: Antti Niemi, Mark Wright, Francis Benali, Ivan Golac, Morgan Schneiderlin, Terry Paine, Kevin Keegan.

MANAGER: Lawrie McMenemy

ASSISTANT MANAGER: Nigel Adkins

As I recall, it was a multiple choice type of poll, with only 3 choices for each position, not an open one. The defensive options especially excluded some better defenders than ones that were available to vote for. This would certainly not be most fans' ultimate Saints XI if they could pick any player they wanted to. Dodd, Bridge and Lundekvam would have struggled to even get into our team in recent years, with the exception of this one.

Dodd, Claus, Lallana, Fonte, Lambert FFS, who picked this side. Half the side should be nowhere near an ultimate 11. **** me I could name 10 centre halves better than that pairing.

Adkins and Lawrie, what a ****ing joke. Ted & Lawrie head and shoulders above the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Dodd, Claus, Lallana, Fonte, Lambert FFS, who picked this side. Half the side should be nowhere near an ultimate 11. **** me I could name 10 centre halves better than that pairing.

Adkins and Lawrie, what a ****ing joke. Ted & Lawrie head and shoulders above the rest.

It's all about opinions but as a rule of thumb, the number of full international caps for ones of the world's top football nations is a useful guideline when selecting all-time XIs for a team which has spent most of its history in a top league. Dodd doesn't have any. Fonte has 28 caps for Portugal and a European Championship winner's medal, Lallana has 34 caps for England so far and will probably go on to win more than 50 and even Lambert has 11 England caps. I remember back in the 1960s when any Saints player who had ever played for England was considered to be one of our all-time great superstars. I'm really not sure why Dodd is there. Like Benali and Kelvin Davis, he played a lot of club games for us but he was never an international class player.

As I recall, it was a multiple choice type of poll, with only 3 choices for each position, not an open one. The defensive options especially excluded some better defenders than ones that were available to vote for. This would certainly not be most fans' ultimate Saints XI if they could pick any player they wanted to. Dodd, Bridge and Lundekvam would have struggled to even get into our team in recent years, with the exception of this one.

Bridge was class for us, and an England international- he’d have certainly got into our side if he was good enough for Chelsea.

Not sure how Claus made it into that team over Killer, Deano, Toby and Van Dijk.

Probably my strongest side since I started watching saints on a regular basis circa 95.

Niemi

Clyne VVD Killer Shaw

Vic Spider

Mane LeTis Eyal

Beattie

That is a very nice team, and in truth a similar time period to mine.

I would include either Ball/Wallace/Lallana for Eyal though.

Stiker wise, Beattie was very good for us in the prem. I would have him or Rickie.

It's all about opinions but as a rule of thumb, the number of full international caps for ones of the world's top football nations is a useful guideline when selecting all-time XIs for a team which has spent most of its history in a top league. Dodd doesn't have any. Fonte has 28 caps for Portugal and a European Championship winner's medal, Lallana has 34 caps for England so far and will probably go on to win more than 50 and even Lambert has 11 England caps. I remember back in the 1960s when any Saints player who had ever played for England was considered to be one of our all-time great superstars. I'm really not sure why Dodd is there. Like Benali and Kelvin Davis, he played a lot of club games for us but he was never an international class player.

Your criteria only works if caps are of the same value throughout the years. Nowadays they throw them round like confetti. Lambert & Lallana wouldn’t have got anywhere near a cap when I started watching the game. Allan Clarke got 19 caps, Ray Kennedy 17, Howard Kendall 0, Tony Currie 17, Jimmy Case 0, Stan Bowles 5, Rodney Marsh 9, Peter Osgood 4, John Hollins 1, Alan Hudson 2, I could go on and on.

Lallana wouldn’t even get in our best side this century, let alone of all time.

Fonte is nowhere near our best centre half despite winning 28 caps and the euros.

Le Tiss had eight England caps, Carlton Palmer had 18.

That's all you need to know about that particular guideline.