Best 11 since PL return

Delboy Dave

So we’ve had threads about the best 3 signings and the ultimate 11, so how about our best 11 since PL return?

Boruc/Forster

Clyne

Alderweireld

VVD

Bertrand

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Lallana

Tadic

Mane

Lambert

Boruc all day long for me but Christ what a side - damning to be honest!

That side win the league the year Leicester won it, IMO. Espicially if you had an inform J-Rod over Tadic and Pelle to provide competition for Lambert.

Sales of one meant we could sign the other etc, but it's still frustrating.

So we’ve had threads about the best 3 signings and the ultimate 11, so how about our best 11 since PL return?

Boruc/Forster

Clyne

Alderweireld

VVD

Bertrand

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Lallana

Tadic

Mane

Lambert

I'm not sure Tadic makes the starting 11, but what a freaking team!

Would need the right manager and system, but fook me that lot could do some damage.

The question is was Alderweireld ever really a Southampton player? He was only here on loan for 28 games, as an Atletico Madrid player, before following Paul Mitchell to Spurs and even then if you look back at articles written at the time, pundits and stats ranked Fonte ahead of him. Fonte was the man who led our defence and our team for all of our best seasons after our PL return and he is deservedly a European champion. I don't understand why some Saints fans underestimate how good he was at his peak. So, I'd put Fonte and van Dijk at the heart of our defence. Apart from that, I agree with the OP.

This is what Terry Paine said about Fonte when he was at his peak in 2015:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11744526.Paine__Jose_Fonte_is_the_best_defender_in_the_Premier_League/

And this is how high he was ranked then:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/05/27/2014-15-premier-league-season-review-top-ten-defenders/

He clearly was.

Poking some fun here, but!

Is this the same pelle incapable of running after lose balls, always trying and failing to do ridiculous flicks (to the opposition), and more likely to hit the corner flag from 6 yards than the goal mouth?!?! That is some serious rose tinted glasses you have on there my friend! But at least it must keep you smiling over the dark days this season. However, I think you need to remember that even Koeman dropped Pelle for Long when we were in the mire, and that changed resulted in our upturn in form

Ultimately I view Lambert as a better penalty taker, better Target Man, better passer, had better vision, worked harder, and had better free kicks and heading abilities.

Lambert, Lallana and Jayrod were all better than Tadic and Pelle in their primes. The difference was Mane who is easily one of the most lethal players in the prem. After all, Lambert, lallana and mane were all signed by Liverpool, and them and tottenham were after Jay prior to his injury. No one is signing Tadic, and Pelle got a move to china.

Stats wise:

Goals/games Lambert 28/75

Goals/games Pelle 23/68

And that ignores all the key passes and chances that Rickie constantly created. And the fact that Ricky was playing in a weaker team for certainly 25-50% of those matches, and in a deeper position under Poch than Pelle operated in under Koeman.

Also, I don't remember ever getting frustrated with Ricky (other than when he carried a knock), and certainly not in the same way as the fans did frequently with Pelle... every time he scuffed/sky'd a sitter, or moaned like someone had shot his mum when a 20yard pass wasn't perfectly to his feet/chest, or every time Pelle tried a retarded flick on with no need, that stopped our attack or set the opposition up on the counter...

He filled a gap, was a nice guy, and did a good job for us. But he was worse than an aged (you could say experienced) Rickie in almost every department.

The question is, would anyone not take Pelle back in place of Carillo? :p

Forster

Clyne VVD Alderweireld Bertrand

Schneiderlin Romeu

Lallana Mane Rodriguez

Lambert

This team could win the league or maybe a cup? mane would have to be 'on it' every game though - not disappear for 4x months.

Romeo has only had one good season out of three while Forster has been awful in around 80% of the games he's played for us in. That team would get nowhere near the top flight title.

With the Fonte/Toby debate above, how about a back 3 with wing-backs? Something like:

Boruc/FF

Toby/Fonte/VVD - CBs

Clyne/Bertrand - WBs (attacking)

Morgan/Wanyama - CM

Mane/Lallana - Inside Forwards

Lambert - CF

With Mane and Lallana is Inside Forwards, cutting in on their stronger foot (although both two-footed), it would allow Clyne and Bertrand to regularly bomb forward to the byline. We would have 3 solid CBs and protection in front with those 2 CMs. Wow, I'm getting too into this! Like a Football Manager dream team.

Boruc

Clyne - VVD - Toby - Bertrand

Morgan - Vic

Mané - Lallana - Rodriguez

Pelle

Hard to leave out so many players, so my second string would be (when in good form of course)

Forster

Cedric - Fonte - Lovren - Shaw

Lemina - Romeu

Gabbi - Davis - Tadic

Lambert

Boruc

Clyne - VVD - Toby - Bertrand

Morgan - Vic

Mané - Lallana - Rodriguez

Pelle

Hard to leave out so many players, so my second string would be (when in good form of course)

Forster

Cedric - Fonte - Lovren - Shaw

Lemina - Romeu

Gabbi - Davis - Tadic

Lambert

Well you can have 7 of them as a sub!

Forster Fonte Cedric Shaw Lemina Tadic Lambert