West Ham v Saints Post Match Thread

ALWAYS_SFC

Basically the sort of performance I expected earlier in the season when people called for 2 up front. Just means someone else isolated, overrun in midfield.

West Ham had two up front at the start until Antonio went off. We have played virtually the entire season with just one up front until the game is lost, and that has been partly why we have failed to score many goals, as the striker has been isolated. Having two up top doesn't have to mean that the team is weakened in midfield, any more than having three at the back means that the defence is weakened. Three at the back invariably means with two wing backs, therefore five at the back and then either four or preferably five in midfield when in possession and pressing forward. In any event, two up top doesn't preclude one or both of the strikers dropping back to assist the midfield, whilst simultaneously requiring defenders to be kept back to contain them.

Continue with Austin and Gabbiadini with Long out wide behind them.

You want us to not only play two up front, which has just been shown to expose our weak midfield and centre backs, but now play a centre forward out wide, as part of the midfield four?

As said after our loss at Newcastle, and probably before; bunch of c^nts.

And the biggest c^nt of all, is the smug bloated bald muppet, Reed.

Just realised it was after the Liverpool match (as long ago as that) :

Les Reed is a ****

Pelligrino is a ****

Ross Wilson is a trainee ****

The team - predominantly a bunch of useless ****s.

Pellegrino remains in there as the influence of his poor coaching and management remains. Not sure any manager would find it easy to coach out his influence and fear factor when they get on the pitch.

Firstly up front Gabbiadini was absent without trace.
I'm not a massive Gabbi fan, but not a single ball in the first half was even remotely near him. He made runs and showed himself, but we hoofed it absolutely anywhere.

Mark Hughs OUT!!!!......Too early? ;)

is MoPo had set us up (and motivated us) as badly as that there'd be a lynch mob waiting for him the SMS carpark. Personally, I just feel the players are not good enough. We've struggled for two almost two seasons now under three managers...

I'm not a massive Gabbi fan, but not a single ball in the first half was even remotely near him. He made runs and showed himself, but we hoofed it absolutely anywhere.

This. Our build up play was appalling, just hoofing it anywhere up the pitch. They weren't even hoofing it at him in the vain hope that he'd win it in the air and hold play up, it was just smack it over the halfway line and that'll do.

Can someone take down the picture of the cows arse and banjo on the barn door at Staplewood.

Which sitters did we miss?

Admittedly I only bothered with the first half but I don't remember getting any meaning full possession in the right post code to get a shot away.

The only good news is that the other teams around us lost too. We just have to pray that we can get a win from somewhere (fk knows where) so we live to fight another day.

Get shot of some the dead wood and promote the under 23s up to the first team.. they’ll have more fight than this sorry lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember not so long ago when hoofing in the air was West Ham's main style of play.

You want us to not only play two up front, which has just been shown to expose our weak midfield and centre backs, but now play a centre forward out wide, as part of the midfield four?

Is Long a Centre Forward? How often does he score goals? I'd much rather have him out there than Redmond or Tadic, as he has more pace and determination than both of them combined. I'm with Derry on this, the midfield was exposed by having smaller weak players like Redmond and Tadic unsupported by Bertrand and Cedric pressing forward and offering an outlet out wide for the diagonal balls. Me, I'd have Romeu, Lemina and Hojbjerg together as a midfield three, but one could be substituted for a player with a bit of flare like Tadic or Bouffal, or indeed Sim, but not two of them together.

Honestly, the first time I've really resigned myself to relegation. Can't see any way this bunch are going to win another game this season. Absolutely terrible, clueless performance.

I don’t even see us scoring. Just can’t see where it can come from or how we’ll manage it.

yep, it’s not rocket science, by and large they are average, and that’s being kind.

what's worrying is we are stuck with them should/when we go down. We will lose the last bit of quality we have in Bertrand, but the rest, all of which are earning unbelievable wages, will be going nowhere. Without 50% relegation, we are taking a £112m a year wage bill with us. Jesus. Prepare for financial meltdown part II.

I'd narrow it down to between us and Huddersfield for that final spot. Huddersfield work hard but lack that bit of quality, whereas we are lazy as well as lacking quality. I don't think Stoke will stay up, and obviously there is no chance for West Brom.

This. Drawing Huddersfield back in and Stoke losing tomorrow is our only hope

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone but Puel eh. We didn’t realise we had it so good, and now it is patently obvious the problem was not the manager but the people behind him choosing the incomers. Stevie Wonder must have taken charge of the black box.

Is Long a Centre Forward? How often does he score goals?
yes. Not often. That's not a good reason to play him in midfield.

I'd much rather have him out there than Redmond or Tadic, as he has more pace and determination than both of them combined.
two wrongs don't make a right.

Long is not a wide midfielder. If we are going to hoof it over the top then Long is the best man to chase aimless balls. I cant believe I am suggesting the selection of Long. Thats how bad things have got...

I've got nothing. That was not only our worst display, but also one of the worst football displays from any squad, I've seen in a long time

I know eh. We had a few glimmers of hope with the performances vs City and Arsenal and to some extent Utd, but now we are just terrible. The games vs Newcastle and West Ham are two of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from a Saints team, in 38 years of supporting them.

I know eh. We had a few glimmers of hope with the performances vs City and Arsenal and to some extent Utd, but now we are just terrible. The games vs Newcastle and West Ham are two of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from a Saints team, in 38 years of supporting them.
Worse than Pompey away in 05?

I don’t even see us scoring. Just can’t see where it can come from or how we’ll manage it.

Fair point. ...I started typing might idea of what we should do, but I honestly don't know. Whatever it is, we need to be far more compact in midfield. We cant concede. Going behind in a game right now means its all over.

Just on way back from game. I’ve seen some sh!te performances this season but the first half today took top the biscuit. Utterly clueless and classless. Well done Saints - you made 3000 loyal fans the object of derision by a bunch of fickle West Ham fans who just two weeks ago were turning on their team and owners. F@@king embarrassing to be in the stadium today. They were not up for the battle from the first challenge. We only started playing once it was too late and West Ham sat back but even then we didn’t manage one f@@king shot on target. I can’t be arsed to rate the players as all bar McCarthy and Long would get zero!

Pathetic

Yawn. Yes if only Claude was still in charge. The players looked soooo motivated toward the end last season.

We wouldn’t be where we are now. I am sore because Saints have been a major part of my life , sadly and the fans who made it difficult for club to keep him on, made his position untenable. I am at home tonight and feeling pretty wound up and angry that we are where we are. Had Puel been given a bit more time to mound his team we would have moved forward. 8 th probably not but better than the total cok up we have at present. If someone had said 15 months ago Hughes would have been our manager they would have laughed at it. I hope he is a success but it is not a step forward. Anyway I’m in a foul mood and so accept my posting due to frustration.

Fair point. ...I started typing might idea of what we should do, but I honestly don't know. Whatever it is, we need to be far more compact in midfield. We cant concede. Going behind in a game right now means its all over.

My opinion is that ALL our players are lacking individual confidence. I suggest they all undergo hypnosis, but not of the stage hypnosis kind where they all think they are chickens. They can already do that, and even have that nailed as the headless variety.

We wouldn’t be where we are now. I am sore because Saints have been a major part of my life , sadly and the fans who made it difficult for club to keep him on, made his position untenable. I am at home tonight and feeling pretty wound up and angry that we are where we are. Had Puel been given a bit more time to mound his team we would have moved forward. 8 th probably not but better than the total cok up we have at present. If someone had said 15 months ago Hughes would have been our manager they would have laughed at it. I hope he is a success but it is not a step forward. Anyway I’m in a foul mood and so accept my posting due to frustration.
It wasn't that long ago that you were repeatedly saying here that any Saints fan that considered sixth and seventh under Koeman as a good achievement had been brainwashed by Les Reed.

Would you now be prepared to accept that finishing in those positions was really rather good after all and you were wrong?

I can see why Redmond was played on the right - in principle, his pace should have exposed Zabaletta, assuming it was deliberate...

Zabaletta had Redmonds card marked in our home game, and owned him today yet again, Redmond doesn’t have even half the brain capacity of Zabaletta to trouble a wily old boy like him.

According to Instagram, the only players to applaud the fans at the end of the game were Bertie, Mario and Longy.

why do fans get so worked up about this? Personally, after a miserable defeat I don't expect players to come over and clap the fans and take abuse. Equally those that do, don't get some sort of pass should they personally not have put the effort in.

I could handle the relegation scraps in the old days. We were there because we were usually a poverty stricken club trying to pull ourselves up by our boot straps and we usually made a very good job of fighting our way out of a predetermined situation.

Our situation today is so much more depressing. We simply should not be here at the moment. We have the players with the skills to be mid table, but lack the players with the balls to rack up a game of pool.

Have not seen the game nor do I want to, it will only be the same old dross thats been served up for 2 years now.

Not going to go to Wembley to witness another execution unless there's a public hanging of most of our team, Les and Ralph, amateur at best, the lot of them.

Mark Hughes, I bet you are regretting chasing the money with this bunch. No wonder Tuchel would not touch us with a barge poll.

Les, be ashamed, thanks for introducing the Charlton feel good factor to us :mcinnes:

Not going to go to Wembley to witness another execution unless there's a public hanging of most of our team,

As sad and annoyed as I am, you should be ashamed of yourself. This is Footy! This is Saints!!! Get a grip, go there and take it on the chin!!!!!

Edit: I can't go, obviously.....Still.....WIMP!!!! ;)

Edited by Ohio Saint

For the second league game in a row our central midfielders gave the ball away which proved costly. I’m sure Hughes main point before kick off would have been do not concede early in the match...which we did.

Two upfront only works away from home if there is cover for the midfield so Romeu has to play in that formation.

Unfortunately I feel we are rapidly running out of games with the Swansea game perhaps coming too late to salvage any Premier League status. The only reason we are still in it at the moment is the lack of quality above us.

On the way home. I never leave early but that was struggle today. Gutless and completely embarrassing.

Essentially the same as the newcastle game.

Austin slow ponderous and hopelessly out of form and touch. Long should have started he cares. Cedric a major factor in this fiasco, useless as he has been all year. Lemina just needs to focus and pass quicker still a good player though.

How does Tadic keep being selected, just unbelievable Jeff.

Romeo has to play the defence rely on him.

Sims JWP McCarthy and Yoshida would have brought more to that game and they care.

Somehow we are still in the mix but with Arse and Chelsea coming up next that may not last.

Nope no silver linings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On the train home now. Still ****ed off . Embarrassing, some players should be ashamed of themselves . Both full backs going through the motions, disgraceful. Centre halves are shot. How Lemina managed to come out second half is beyond me. PEH, better second half, but poor poor first, don't really matter that he played better second half, because he was poor when it mattered . Tadic, was average , too lightweight. Redmond one of the better ones, but still poor . Gabbi, average . The only players that I absolve was the keeper & Charlie Austin. The rest were a ****ing disgrace . I thought Newcastle was bad, but this was worse. We're going down end of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hughes has said he has learnt what players he can use in this situation. For me, Long, Yoshida, JWP have to start. They will give 110%. Sack off Cedric, Lemina (he has been at fault for goals today and against Newcastle) Hoedt and Gabbi looks shot. Good player but Pelligrino has ruined him.

What I’d give for JayRod now. He’s scored what, 12 goals this season?

Hang your head Reed.

For the second league game in a row our central midfielders gave the ball away which proved costly. I’m sure Hughes main point before kick off would have been do not concede early in the match...which we did.

Two upfront only works away from home if there is cover for the midfield so Romeu has to play in that formation.

Unfortunately I feel we are rapidly running out of games with the Swansea game perhaps coming too late to salvage any Premier League status. The only reason we are still in it at the moment is the lack of quality above us.

Problem with Romeu is that he isn't mobile or athletic enough to play in a two man CM. You have to cover a lot of grass and that's not Romeu's forte, even though I think he's technically more accomplished than both PEH and Lemina.

Up there with one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen.

So many players either not up for the fight or generally not good enough.

Cedric was an absolute joke, there was a moment in the first half where the ball came over he had 5 yards on Masoaku yet still got beaten! How that bloke has won a European Championship is beyond me.

The first 2 goals were Sunday league stuff, the first from a ballsed up corner which Lemina ended up holding onto the ball too long and eventually giving it away and the 2nd Hojbjerg holding onto the ball too long. We can’t even imagine winning games when we are making schoolboy mistakes like this.

It’s not as if we weren’t warned. We may have beaten Wigan but it was a poor performance, especially first half against a team 2 divisions below us.

Can’t see how there is any hope of surviving playing like this.

Hughes has said he has learnt what players he can use in this situation. For me, Long, Yoshida, JWP have to start. They will give 110%. Sack off Cedric, Lemina (he has been at fault for goals today and against Newcastle) Hoedt and Gabbi looks shot. Good player but Pelligrino has ruined him.

What I’d give for JayRod now. He’s scored what, 12 goals this season?

Hang your head Reed.

Rodriguez, lol. Reed is to blame for a lot, but getting £15m for a player who simply couldn’t cut it for us isn’t one of them.

Rodriguez, lol. Reed is to blame for a lot, but getting £15m for a player who simply couldn’t cut it for us isn’t one of them.

Spending f^ck all on a replacement though in August though..!! Only to get worse by allowing Pellegrino to bring in Carillo for £19m ..

But no taken in isolation selling Rodriguez is not one of his greatest errors.