West Ham v Saints Post Match Thread

ALWAYS_SFC

Not the new manager effect I had hoped for, then around half time I wondered......What is MH is going to approach the same going through the motions attitude he did in his playing days with us? I know that's just me being paranoid, but all the voices in my head are worried about the same thing.

I'd love to say I'm surprised but I'm not. They've let us down so many times that it's just sad. Many of them really need to take a good long hard look at themselves in the mirror and ask if they really want to play. In many cases, the decision should be taken out of their hands.

If Cedric gets a move to a big club then his agent is a miracle worker. I would rather have Frazer Richardson playing, at least he could cross the ball.

Let's not forget, a few months ago the skate Prowse said how we were still aiming for Europe. If anything summed up the arrogance of the club and why we're in this position, then that's it.

Let's not forget, a few months ago the skate Prowse said how we were still aiming for Europe. If anything summed up the arrogance of the club and why we're in this position, then that's it.

Les Reeds lapdog.

Basically the sort of performance I expected earlier in the season when people called for 2 up front. Just means someone else isolated, overrun in midfield.

What bothers me isn't just that west ham are an awful side, it's how obvious it was at half time we wouldn't come back and trouble them. Even a 3-1. We let Newcastle coast to a win, we let west ham coast even more easily to a win.

Maybe it's not a squad cut out for a fight, maybe it's just too much to expect woeful underperformance and no confidence to turn around immediately. Giving Hughes so few games was moronic and it's already too late now. He'll know that too given today's performance. He might squeeze one more win out of them but even that will be an effort. Yet the majority will stroll off happily to decent moves, big money and more top flight games. Some will say they're all rubbish and no one will want them, then act surprised when they perform elsewhere, but it's a team game and we have no team.

Shame Sims and JWP aren't involved when to me they're the only 2 players to do ok this season. Zero idea how Tadic and Redmond still get selected.

Thought we might get a little fight today, but bottled it. First goal was vital I guess. Thought we'd win if we got it, but the moment they scored I knew we'd lost. Pathetic to be relegated so easily with this squad but there we go. Can't blame Hughes for much but not sure I'd want him to stay in the championship.

Just hope we have someone who'll start playing Sims, Hesketh etc and mix it with some experience like Austin. Roll on next season, and even some explanation of why the hell the club waited so long to sack the worst manager we've ever had, and condemn us to a needless relegation.

This. Thanks for saving me the effort of posting.

Totally predictable result of playing that team, with two up front.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thought we played okay today. A bit unlucky, things just aren’t going our way this year
I assume that's either sarcasm or inebriation.

We were horrible. And disgracefully unfit. When a 35 year old Zabaleta can give Redmond a two yard head start and still easily outpace him over 15 yards, you know something's badly awry.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

2 from Saints, Stoke, Palace, Huddersfield, and Swansea, to go down with WBA.

Unfortunately we have a squad who couldn't give a t0ss, as their agents are probably already working on their exit strategies, and a manager with no incentive to organise a new Great Escape, as he's only here until the final whistle against Man City.

Whoever persuaded Mr Gao that this was a good investment is a World Champion amongst snake oil salesmen.

What got me was when , I think it was Cresswell hit that shot that hit the bar at the end Hoedt actually turned his back on it , and that to me summed up our season , no fight no desire , just no hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unprofessional pre-season training led to a team that was always going to struggle to compete at this level. If you shirk fitness training you get found out when it comes to matches. Too late to rectify that now. Oh for the professionalism of Pochettino's training regime. Lazy bunch of overpaid underworked skivers.

Unprofessional pre-season training led to a team that was always going to struggle to compete at this level. If you shirk fitness training you get found out when it comes to matches. Too late to rectify that now. Oh for the professionalism of Pochettino's training regime.

....or even Adkins'.

This loss makes it virtually impossible to stay up. If you don't win against relegation rivals then how can you win vs teams above. It's not impossible to get 2 wins and say 1 draw but statistically very unlikely. Plus Saints have a much harder run in. We can't score enough goals and the defence can't keep goals out. I think 31 points total so let's hope for a change of style of football and manager next season. No round about manager please.

Thought we played okay today. A bit unlucky, things just aren’t going our way this year

Needs a bit of work mate. Maybe add "but if we keep showing that sort of quality we'll survive comfortably, and still have a good shot at a trophy"? Something like that?

Depressing performance. Based on this, the team are not up for the relegation scrap.

This is the alarming aspect, no real desire or fight. Just about every other team in the mix look capable of rolling sleeves up and battling for the cause (WBA aside), but we have a bunch of precious cushioned pansies too easily brushed off the ball, and politely taking being second best.

What happened to the Lemina from Marseille who punched an opponent in the nuts? Although we don't need a Prutton moment from him, some greater aggression would be welcome. Romeu is probably the one with most drive but is currently on the bench.

When we are down next season, there will be a lot of the show ponies leaving and good riddance to them. We can replace them with players who give a damn, are proud to wear the shirt and give their all for the team and club. If Hughes is worth his salt, he will ditch the players in this match for the rest of the season who didn't give their all, as we have no hope at all of avoiding relegation if we continue to play like that again. Bring back Ward-Prowse, give Romeu another chance, maybe McQueen, Yoshida. Ditch Tadic and Redmond, probably Hoedt. Continue with Austin and Gabbiadini with Long out wide behind them.

On paper we ought to have enough talent to be better than three other teams, but we don't have the team spirit or the belief to win matches against the teams around us.

Had we sacked the clown in the New Year, we stood a chance of turning things around with a wider choice of managers available and the ability to bring in players in the transfer window capable of shoring up a defence at one end and scoring goals at the other. As we now have the manager who was sacked by the club below us in charge, we have hampered our chances badly.

Maybe we can get Adkins back in as manager next season.

This. Thanks for saving me the effort of posting.

Totally predictable result of playing that team, with two up front.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It puzzles me that some things are so obvious to some fans (2 up front leaving us totally exposed in midfield, as shown vs L1 Wigan) and some things obvious to all fans (Redmond left, Tadic right has never worked), yet multiple managers can't see it.

2 from Saints, Stoke, Palace, Huddersfield, and Swansea, to go down with WBA.

Unfortunately we have a squad who couldn't give a t0ss, as their agents are probably already working on their exit strategies, and a manager with no incentive to organise a new Great Escape, as he's only here until the final whistle against Man City.

Whoever persuaded Mr Gao that this was a good investment is a World Champion amongst snake oil salesmen.

I'd narrow it down to between us and Huddersfield for that final spot. Huddersfield work hard but lack that bit of quality, whereas we are lazy as well as lacking quality. I don't think Stoke will stay up, and obviously there is no chance for West Brom.

Basically the sort of performance I expected earlier in the season when people called for 2 up front. Just means someone else isolated, overrun in midfield.

What bothers me isn't just that west ham are an awful side, it's how obvious it was at half time we wouldn't come back and trouble them. Even a 3-1. We let Newcastle coast to a win, we let west ham coast even more easily to a win.

Maybe it's not a squad cut out for a fight, maybe it's just too much to expect woeful underperformance and no confidence to turn around immediately. Giving Hughes so few games was moronic and it's already too late now. He'll know that too given today's performance. He might squeeze one more win out of them but even that will be an effort. Yet the majority will stroll off happily to decent moves, big money and more top flight games. Some will say they're all rubbish and no one will want them, then act surprised when they perform elsewhere, but it's a team game and we have no team.

Shame Sims and JWP aren't involved when to me they're the only 2 players to do ok this season. Zero idea how Tadic and Redmond still get selected.

Thought we might get a little fight today, but bottled it. First goal was vital I guess. Thought we'd win if we got it, but the moment they scored I knew we'd lost. Pathetic to be relegated so easily with this squad but there we go. Can't blame Hughes for much but not sure I'd want him to stay in the championship.

Just hope we have someone who'll start playing Sims, Hesketh etc and mix it with some experience like Austin. Roll on next season, and even some explanation of why the hell the club waited so long to sack the worst manager we've ever had, and condemn us to a needless relegation.

Dont think we can play 2 up front either as your completly swamped in midfield ......Redmond was utter gash as was most of the whole team no fight whatsoever ......need Romeu back in and sims needs to play in my opinion

The reason the two central midfielders were under pressure was not the formation. Firstly up front Gabbiadini was absent without trace and we were much better there with Long putting in the effort. the two wide men were again absent without trace, They were the real problem because when the opponents have the ball they have to tuck in and reinforce the middle two. If the play is wide the wide man has to block the space in front of the full back and the other wide man tuck in as the middle two slide over. We didn't do that.

Sims needs to be put in as one of the wide men giving us more pace and physicality. If they thought they were going to stroll their way to safety they have been well and truly disabused of that thought. The second half was much better.

Soares is a liability, Stephens is poor in the air so bring in Yoshida and give Stephens a go at right back. Hoedt was poor for the third goal but was much better in the second half. Lamina was poor in the first half but looked a good player in the second. Hojbjerg was ok in the second half but not convincing enough today to keep Romeu on the bench. Austin tried hard and gets a free pass from me as this was his first game in three months. what the hell were we doing paying nearly £20m for Carillo he was unconvincing and is no physical presence.

It puzzles me that some things are so obvious to some fans (2 up front leaving us totally exposed in midfield, as shown vs L1 Wigan) and some things obvious to all fans (Redmond left, Tadic right has never worked), yet multiple managers can't see it.

Two up front was ridiculous especially when we were happy to hit long balls that we neither won in the air nor chased down the channels, though Long was a massive improvement on Gabbi.

I can see why Redmond was played on the right - in principle, his pace should have exposed Zabaletta, assuming it was deliberate...