West Ham v Saints Post Match Thread

ALWAYS_SFC

Seems to me the players don't much care for playing against lowly opposition. Bet they raise their games against Arsenal & Chelsea - marketing themselves.

Still won't be good enough, however, which means we're ultimately doomed.

Board should either resign (preferred) or start planning to rebuild properly next season for a bounce-back. Kick out lots, buy in lots, get passion back into the side.

Didn't watch it live but caught a replay of the last 20 minutes of the first half and then a replay of the goals. We looked just as utterly 1 star as at any time under Pellegrino, just directionless tapping the ball around in midfield until we gave it away and then got even more easily overrun because we were TRYING to play more attackingly. On top of being **** I see zero fight and determination not to go down in this team. We are a shambolic, nervous, passionless mess.

Rodriguez, lol. Reed is to blame for a lot, but getting £15m for a player who simply couldn’t cut it for us isn’t one of them.

Couldn’t cut it? Get a grip. How many goals have Long, Carrillo or Gabbi scored? He’s scored more goals in a West Brom team even we beat twice, than any of our strikers have.

Couldn’t cut it? Get a grip. How many goals have Long, Carrillo or Gabbi scored? He’s scored more goals in a West Brom team even we beat twice, than any of our strikers have.

I have an excellent grip, after watching plenty of games he played in thank you. He really wasn’t very good for us, save for one or two matches (I can only think of one, Bournemouth away). His injury, perhaps coupled with a loss of confidence, meant he never beat anyone one on one, nor did he possess the eye for goal or strikers instinct he once did. He was regularly just not quite close enough or sharp enough to get a decisive touch.

West Brom fans say familiar things about him - scores the occasional great goal but overall doesn’t look threatening and misses good chances.

There are some similarities to Gabbiadini’s current form actually (though I believe Gabbiadini is better). Long had never been a good goalscorer but is at least good at some things. And I have not for one minute defended the signing of Carrillo, which if selling J-Rod for £15m was good business, buying Carrillo for £19m deserves a P45 all on its own.

Spending f^ck all on a replacement though in August though..!! Only to get worse by allowing Pellegrino to bring in Carillo for £19m ..

But no taken in isolation selling Rodriguez is not one of his greatest errors.

Wouldn’t disagree with that.

Seems to me the players don't much care for playing against lowly opposition. Bet they raise their games against Arsenal & Chelsea - marketing themselves.

Still won't be good enough, however, which means we're ultimately doomed.

Board should either resign (preferred) or start planning to rebuild properly next season for a bounce-back. Kick out lots, buy in lots, get passion back into the side.

Not many of them would get in other Premiership starting line ups !

Biggest issue for me is they do not act like a team

Hoedt and Stephens. Neither good enough for the premier league.

And by the way, I don’t think fans were howling for 2 up front. Just a no 10 who was an attacker who looked to link with the striker.

Oh... and austin is an absolute carthorse. No pace, can’t win it in the air, doesn’t run the channels.

You literally have to put it on a plate for him 10 yards out and then he might score. Anyone see his virtual air kick today followed by a half volley which was going 20 yards wide?

He’s championship quality .. maybe league 1

We are down people and personally I’m glad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the Guardian match report;

Mark Hughes picked an attacking 4-4-2 for his first league game, with Charlie Austin fit enough to start up front for the first time since tearing a hamstring on 23 December, but Southampton’s lack of intensity in midfield and organisation in defence in the first half was startling.

Wrong formation, wrong personnel, wrong tactics, wrong attitude. Otherwise nearly average.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It wasn't that long ago that you were repeatedly saying here that any Saints fan that considered sixth and seventh under Koeman as a good achievement had been brainwashed by Les Reed.

Would you now be prepared to accept that finishing in those positions was really rather good after all and you were wrong?

you said you are in Disneyland, it might not only there that you are in fantasy land. Brainwasjhing by Reed would be the case, and yes had we pushed on then we could have done what Leicester did. But many were just happy with the Trust in Les chant.

As sad and annoyed as I am, you should be ashamed of yourself. This is Footy! This is Saints!!! Get a grip, go there and take it on the chin!!!!!

Edit: I can't go, obviously.....Still.....WIMP!!!! ;)

I'm having a colonoscopy a couple of days after the game, 2 days before procedure I have to take liquid grenades to clear me out. I was going to cancel and go to the game but after today I have decided to stick with colonoscopy and deal with a different type of sh*t.

I'm having a colonoscopy a couple of days after the game, 2 days before procedure I have to take liquid grenades to clear me out. I was going to cancel and go to the game but after today I have decided to stick with colonoscopy and deal with a different type of sh*t.
I hope it goes well

On the way home. I never leave early but that was struggle today. Gutless and completely embarrassing.

Essentially the same as the newcastle game.

Austin slow ponderous and hopelessly out of form and touch. Long should have started he cares. Cedric a major factor in this fiasco, useless as he has been all year. Lemina just needs to focus and pass quicker still a good player though.

How does Tadic keep being selected, just unbelievable Jeff.

Romeo has to play the defence rely on him.

Sims JWP McCarthy and Yoshida would have brought more to that game and they care.

Somehow we are still in the mix but with Arse and Chelsea coming up next that may not last.

Nope no silver linings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agree JWP should have started, ahead of Austin. We have to have a link between defence and attack. Lemina and Hojbjerg gave the ball away at critical moments, partly because Tadic and Redmond don't make themselves available to take a pass and recycle it.

And Yoshida needs to be back in. He was pretty solid at the end of last season with Stephens.

And where was Sims? A couple of good games and he vanishes. And I'd vote for Hesketh at 10.

With the defence looking more than shaky, need Romeu back too.

Good luck with that.

The whole club could do with a colonoscopy, clear out all the ****. Might even find Les Reeds head up his own arse.

In 30 years of watching Saints home and away that first half was the very worst I have ever seen in terms of absence of commitment and quality combined. Truly awful.

We have little hope I am afraid of avoiding the drop now, but in my opinion the only small chance remaining is if we maximise the selection of a number of genuine grafters who have a heart. So I would bring in Yoshida, Romeu, Davis and Long for Hoedt, Lamina, Hoj and Gabby. Sims and McQueen on the bench too. It is useless having talent if you are backing out of challenges, basically cheating the club and the fans on huge wage packets.

What got me was when , I think it was Cresswell hit that shot that hit the bar at the end Hoedt actually turned his back on it , and that to me summed up our season , no fight no desire , just no hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Disappointed that he was picked at all. Hughes needs to learn about his much faster!!!!

Had mine done in Winchester by Mr Gore - what a name for a surgeon! Bring in his mates Drs De'ath and Blood and you've got a proper team!

Hope you get the all clear chap, that is what really matters. The procedure is, errr, different, but you do get to have a look around inside as it were.

The bladderoscopy (or whatever it's called) is a damn sight more challenging. Only one way in for that! Same size sodding camera though....

That's like saying Cedric has been awful recently, so we were wrong to get rid of Martina.

5 League goals, whoop-de-doo.

Rodriguez, lol. Reed is to blame for a lot, but getting £15m for a player who simply couldn’t cut it for us isn’t one of them.

As others have said, it's the not bringing in a replacement that's criminal. Add to that loaning out Gallagher with no recall option, and ending up paying £20m in January for someone who's not as good.

Today Tadic on the right, Redmond on the left, and a two man midfield was a recipe for disaster. Wigan should've been a warning sign, we got away with it because they were crap in front of goal. Bring in Romeu alongside PEH and Lamina, and move Tadic to the left. And the only place Redmond should be left is back home.

Oh... and austin is an absolute carthorse. No pace, can’t win it in the air, doesn’t run the channels.

You literally have to put it on a plate for him 10 yards out and then he might score. Anyone see his virtual air kick today followed by a half volley which was going 20 yards wide?

He’s championship quality .. maybe league 1

Hilarious.

I hope it goes well

Good luck with that.

The whole club could do with a colonoscopy, clear out all the ****. Might even find Les Reeds head up his own arse.

Had mine done in Winchester by Mr Gore - what a name for a surgeon! Bring in his mates Drs De'ath and Blood and you've got a proper team!

Hope you get the all clear chap, that is what really matters. The procedure is, errr, different, but you do get to have a look around inside as it were.

The bladderoscopy (or whatever it's called) is a damn sight more challenging. Only one way in for that! Same size sodding camera though....

Cheers guys.

If your going to Wembley, I hope saints produce something out of the ordinary for you like playing well for once.

Cheers Shroppie. Can always rely on regulars such as yourself for accurate updates :)

Meanwhile, back at the beer... 90a26be32abbbe011fb292f0d0baaad5.jpg

Looks great. And I really am not drowning any sorrows in buckets of red wine. Really. Honest. Because obviously I don't need to. [emoji852]️[emoji849][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

People need to stop playing the Rodriguez line, there are lots of things you can hit the club with but selling Rodriguez isn't one of them.

The fact he's down at the bottom with WBA and with only 5 goals to his name shows we pulled off a mini-miracle getting more than £10m for him.

Looks great. And I really am not drowning any sorrows in buckets of red wine. Really. Honest. Because obviously I don't need to. [emoji852]️[emoji849][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Although I wasn’t there but watched it the Red Wine has had the desired effect, now gone for slightly stronger just to make sure my mind is numb to it.

Hughes is the manager, none of us. He needs to establish who is in and who is out. Some of those players today should never wear the shirt again. You can't play two up front when you have a couple of lightweight spuds like Tadic and Redmond in the side. Both should be hung out to dry. A glance at the table makes it clear we are nowhere near down yet, but things have to change on the pitch.

Was too angry to post earlier. Gabbiadini, Tadic and Redmond were a disgrace and should be the first to go in the summer. Give me Long running his ******** off over Gaboiadoni’s strolling any day. Also Stephens and hoedt as a pair will struggle in the Championship next season.

Was too angry to post earlier. Gabbiadini, Tadic and Redmond were a disgrace and should be the first to go in the summer. Give me Long running his ******** off over Gaboiadoni’s strolling any day. Also Stephens and hoedt as a pair will struggle in the Championship next season.

Agree with this. our CB's are a mess, really not close to PL standard.

People need to stop playing the Rodriguez line, there are lots of things you can hit the club with but selling Rodriguez isn't one of them.

The fact he's down at the bottom with WBA and with only 5 goals to his name shows we pulled off a mini-miracle getting more than £10m for him.

Yep, JRod plays all kind of minutes yet only has 5 goals. I'd of course take Austin, and also take Gabbi over him every time.

West Ham started well as they did in their previous matches only this time they scored and they were playing a team that couldn't defend or even get a shot on target so much better outcome for them .

As for Hughes' chances of turning us round , how with these players ? If MP was in charge for this match he would be taking the blame , it's difficult to see what can change to prevent an embarrassing end to to what looks to be our last season in the Prem for a while .

Just watched the low lights on Sky god we were bloody poor.

Motd somehow made us look less sh*t than we actually were. And we still looked utterly sh*t. I also note that murphy has changed his mind since the stoke game, when he reckoned stoke and us would both stay up, he's now tipping us both for the drop.

Need to get Yoshida and Romeu in the team. Possibly Davis too. Too many just going through the motions.

Against Arsenal I would pick:

McCarthy

Pied

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

JWP

Long

Austin

Boufal

Bench: Forster, Stephens, Hojbjrerg, Davis, Sims, Redmond, Carillo

Just watched the highlights on Match of the Day. I can accept Lemina giving the ball away for their first goal, but his fairy challenge before their break for one of the others makes me want to punch him. It didn't look like he could give a monkeys for the rest of the game, culminating him in turning backwards when trying to block a shot.

Hopefully Hughes gave him, and the rest of the team, the rollicking of their lives. The money we spent on him, Hoedt and Carillo is ridiculous. None of them are worth it.

Hughes comes in, asks the players if they are up for it and this is the response he gets. Bitterly disappointing, not so much with losing rather the limp reaction to our situation.

For the first time it feels like relegation is coming, the club pulled the rip cord far too late.

I don't want to see Reed at the club anymore.

A strange feeling when it’s still in our own hands that we can stay up (in terms of our game in hand and not having to rely on others) yet there’s a general acceptance that this won’t happen, albeit with a tougher run in.

For those concerned around the wage bill next season, Bertrand, Hoedt, Cedric, Lemina, Tadic & Gabbi will all be off to another top flight team, here or abroad, & potentially the likes of Romeu too - the concern financially will not be the income/slashing of wages, it will be what the powers that be decide to do with the money.

For all his aggression shown on the pitch as a player I don't think Hughes is the type to be tough enough on the players as a manager. One of his ex players came out and said he was always happy to express his anger to the match officials but too nice in the dressing room. This shower needs someone like Neil Warnock laying into them. They have had life too easy and been allowed to get away with a couldn't care less attitude which disrespects Southampton FC and the fans. Time for Hughes to show us what he's made of and read the riot act to the lot of them. For the remaining games the fans will want to see every player run himself into the ground and sweat blood for the cause. They are paid fortunes and it's now time for them to put in a shift and start earning it. Not convinced it'll happen.

Hughes comes in, asks the players if they are up for it and this is the response he gets. Bitterly disappointing, not so much with losing rather the limp reaction to our situation.

For the first time it feels like relegation is coming, the club pulled the rip cord far too late.

I don't want to see Reed at the club anymore.

It comes to something when we're all picking teams based on whether the players are at all bothered or not about the club they play for. We need home growns, I'm afraid. Shame that conveyor belt has packed up too. What a dismantling Les has masterminded. Suspect he's working on Lemina to Liverpool as we speak, where he'll suddenly bust more than a quarter of a gut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to get Yoshida and Romeu in the team. Possibly Davis too. Too many just going through the motions.

Against Arsenal I would pick:

McCarthy

Pied

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

JWP

Long

Austin

Boufal

Bench: Forster, Stephens, Hojbjrerg, Davis, Sims, Redmond, Carillo

Romeu won't start. He's been protected from getting his 10th yellow and has one more game to be in the clear. Definitely need JWP.

Romeu won't start. He's been protected from getting his 10th yellow and has one more game to be in the clear. Definitely need JWP.

What is suddenly wrong with JWP? For aeons now he's been an automatic pick under various managers. He hits some form, looks really good, and gets benched. I suppose the rot set in when he actually scored a couple of important goals, can't have that can we......