We need to do something radically different. A few ideas...?

SaintJackoInHurworth

MoPe was lacking in a backup plan and lacking in ideas. Sadly our performance against West Ham seems to have been as bad if not worse (though I'm hesitant to comment as I was not there!) It strikes me that what we need is to do something radically different. Here are a few thoughts/ideas...

* I'm not a big fan of Yoshida, but can't help feeling we need his experience in the defence. Maybe we need to follow the recent trend and try three at the back with the full-backs released to take a more attacking role. Talking of experience in defensive positions, we should also be playing with Romeu in defensive midfield surely?

* Also, while I love attacking flair wingers, I can't help thinking that the confidence of Boufal, Redmond and Tadic is so shot that we might be better playing with Sims, Ward-Prowse and McQueen instead. I know there are many on here who don't like JWP, but there have been some times this season when he has seemed like the only one who actually cares so maybe he should be given his chance again?

* As for up-front, maybe again Sims or one of the younger players? Though, admittedly, Austin was only just coming back from injury and whoever is up-front is not going to score without the right service. Sadly I don't think two up-front is the solution, unless one of those is also fulfilling a midfield role.

* I also wonder if Steven Davis could be key for us when he is back from injury as he can bring a lot of much needed experience like Yoshida.

OK - I know some of those players I have mentioned would not be on many people's choice of first team, but with confidence as it is, I think we have got to do something different.

What other ideas do people have? (and don't bother replying if you are just going to answer 'we are doomed, there is nothing we can do' - there are plenty of other threads for that opinion).

Get relegated, rebuild. Hopefully return in less than 3 years and go again.
I find it strange that people seem to think that we will manage to get promoted so easily and quickly. I can see us spending many years in the lower leagues now. Much better clubs than us have found it very difficult to recover after being relegated.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

MoPe was lacking in a backup plan and lacking in ideas. Sadly our performance against West Ham seems to have been as bad if not worse (though I'm hesitant to comment as I was not there!) It strikes me that what we need is to do something radically different. Here are a few thoughts/ideas...

* I'm not a big fan of Yoshida, but can't help feeling we need his experience in the defence. Maybe we need to follow the recent trend and try three at the back with the full-backs released to take a more attacking role. Talking of experience in defensive positions, we should also be playing with Romeu in defensive midfield surely?

* Also, while I love attacking flair wingers, I can't help thinking that the confidence of Boufal, Redmond and Tadic is so shot that we might be better playing with Sims, Ward-Prowse and McQueen instead. I know there are many on here who don't like JWP, but there have been some times this season when he has seemed like the only one who actually cares so maybe he should be given his chance again?

* As for up-front, maybe again Sims or one of the younger players? Though, admittedly, Austin was only just coming back from injury and whoever is up-front is not going to score without the right service. Sadly I don't think two up-front is the solution, unless one of those is also fulfilling a midfield role.

* I also wonder if Steven Davis could be key for us when he is back from injury as he can bring a lot of much needed experience like Yoshida.

OK - I know some of those players I have mentioned would not be on many people's choice of first team, but with confidence as it is, I think we have got to do something different.

What other ideas do people have? (and don't bother replying if you are just going to answer 'we are doomed, there is nothing we can do' - there are plenty of other threads for that opinion).

Totally spot on.

The gap between defence (if that’s what you call them?) and attack was so far adrift.

Need someone to protect the two centre backs and you need an extra man in the centre of the park.

Get Soares (ha ha ****ing ha ha but who else) and Bertrand (ha ha OMG) roasting the left and right backs and getting the balls into the box where midfiielders abd Austin attack it.

The gaps today in our midfield was embarrassing which resulted in the defence pumping the ball up top 50 yards to nobody challenging.

We get overrun in midfield because we play Tadic, Boufal and Redmond (in any combination). Need to drop all three if we are to have any hope.

McCarthy

Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina Davis

JWP Sims (or McQueen)

Austin

Trouble is Romeu is still on 9 yellows and there is one more game before the amnesty, but we need him back in the DM position, allowing Lemina to get forward.

Need to get the players in who give a damn and not keep hoping that the pathetic AMs that we have been relying on will suddenly understand how to attack with purpose. Might even be worth giving Pied a go at RB.

I find your thinking strange too.

You don't know who the players or manager will be. Decide then.

Perhaps good advice to be honest. But ML was a massive lifeline for the club when he bought us. He had a vision and ambition about what he wanted to achieve. He was willing to finance those ambitions as well, and ultimately achieved what he wanted.

This time around we don't really know much about our new current owner or his aspirations. Worrying noises have been voiced here about how he financed buying us, which doesn't bode well once we are relegated.

If our ****ing strikers cannot score any ****ing goals it is not surprising we are going to get relegated.

Its time to consign Tadic, Boufal and Redmond to the SFC history book. Sims definitiely needs to be convinced he has a role next season in the Championship, or we'll lose him.

I would also play Yoshi before Stephens.

Next summer, get what we can for our "superstars" and rebuild, from the back, just like Pardew did.

I particularly dont want to see those three AMs in the 2018/2019 Saints kit.

Now life has lots in it to keep me occupied other than football. I don't really like going to the games any more, haven't for 2 years now. Coupled to that my dislike for the business model of the PL, and I have drifted away from football. But tonight, I am in a bad mood. Having thought that I didn't really mind too much (of course I don't want Saints to either lose or get relegated), I seem to be in a bit of a bad mood. I can only put it down to the abject performance today, rather than the loss per se. No doubt the usual platitudes will be trotted out, how they are hurting, how they have to pull together, how they can survive, but frankly I am bored of hearing this tosh week after week for the past 2 years.

Anyway, we've had a good several years.

Onwards.

Blank team sheet on the wall. Told that every place is up for grabs and attitude and commitment in trying this week will decide who starts.

Too many just walk into the team having done nothing to justify a place. If the first 11 are all under 23s, then so be it. Migh5 shake them up a bit knowing they have to work harder and play better.

Don't want to hear any platitudes from any of the players or the staff. Sick of the hype no matter how well it's intended or delivered. Time for actions now not words, unfortunately though there is little chance that our lot will deliver. Talk on the pitch, not off it.

What other ideas do people have?

Something for the next transfer window: Stop our stupid 2016 onwards policy of buying backup players. Carillo, Lemina, Hoedt, Gabbi, Hojbjerg, Redmond were all backups when we bought them and not one of them has improved us or been an upgrade on what we had. You can see why they weren't first choice at their last clubs. £88m wasted.

I don't care that some of them used to play for clubs like Juve or Bayern. The drop from a 1st choice to a backup can be huge. It's like thinking Jack Cork was on the same level as Schneiderlin/Wanyama, or Yoshida on the same level as VVD/Alderweireld.

Something for the next transfer window: Stop our stupid 2016 onwards policy of buying backup players. Carillo, Lemina, Hoedt, Gabbi, Hojbjerg, Redmond were all backups when we bought them and not one of them has improved us or been an upgrade on what we had. You can see why they weren't first choice at their last clubs. £88m wasted.

I don't care that some of them used to play for clubs like Juve or Bayern. The drop from a 1st choice to a backup can be huge. It's like thinking Jack Cork was on the same level as Schneiderlin/Wanyama, or Yoshida on the same level as VVD/Alderweireld.

That's all fine and dandy, but if we're in the championship by the next window which non "backup" players will we be able to attract/afford? That horse has bolted if we go down.

That's all fine and dandy, but if we're in the championship by the next window which non "backup" players will we be able to attract/afford? That horse has bolted if we go down.

There's 10,000+ professional footballers starting each week in Europe. I don't see why we need to restrict ourselves to backup players from the top ~30 clubs. We're in the top 20 richest clubs in the world so why exactly are we buying other peoples leftovers?

• 11 months later...
Its time to consign Tadic, Boufal and Redmond to the SFC history book. Sims definitiely needs to be convinced he has a role next season in the Championship, or we'll lose him.

I would also play Yoshi before Stephens.

Next summer, get what we can for our "superstars" and rebuild, from the back, just like Pardew did.

I particularly dont want to see those three AMs in the 2018/2019 Saints kit.

:lol: