Puel taught us how to play Arsenal

4-1-4-1

Cedric Maya Hoedt Bertrand

Romeu

Hojbjerg Lemina

JWP Redmond

Long

I don't think he did.

We lost 5-0 at home, then 2-0 at home and 2-1 away early in the season.

The 2-0 win in the cup was against a reserve Arsenal side. If he taught us how to play them in that game, he didn't use what he learnt in the forthcoming home games against them later in the season.

Whilst getting anything from this is going to be hard, what we really need is at least to see maximum effort and some positives going into our next home game.

McCarthy

Berty

Stephens

Yoshida

Cedric

Boufal

Romeu

Hojbjerg

JWP

Long

Austin

Players that will give everything. Let’s see the passion!!

Team irrelevant. So many of the players are either not up to it or mentally checked out.

Bringing in players like Long, JWP and McQueen isn't going to keep us up.

Neither is sticking with our current passengers like Tadic and Redmond, both of whom I would be quite happy to never see in a Saints shirt again.

I don't think he did.

The 2-0 win in the cup was against a reserve Arsenal side. If he taught us how to play them in that game, he didn't use what he learnt in the forthcoming home games against them later in the season.

Why mention the 5-0 then, that was against our reserve side!

Considering they are playing tonight, they may very well prioritise the Europa League match over Sunday's fixture.

Why mention the 5-0 then, that was against our reserve side!

Considering they are playing tonight, they may very well prioritise the Europa League match over Sunday's fixture.

Good to see you join me in the straw clutching movement. Welcome brother!

I don't think he did.

I was at all 3 matches.

We outplayed them in the 2-1 defeat and lost to a last minute penalty that was a ridiculous decision.

You have to accept Arsenal will have a lot of possession, but if you stop them from breaking the lines, there will always be a chance.

The front 3 I chose because of work rate. Charlie could come on for last 30 mins and win the game.

4-3-3 for me

McCarthy

Stephens

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertand

JWP

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Long

Austin

Sims

a team that will work hard, a solid midfield, and pace and running upfront with Sims and Long supporting Austin.

Stephens I think is better a right back than centre back and is certainly better defensively than Cedric. The most dangerous we have looked all season is when Sims is on the pitch running at the opposition - and I think with Long's running and pace as well we might actually have a chance on the break - and juts maybe press Arsenal's back four a bit (which they really don't like)

With JWP, Romeu and PEH in midfield at least it will be committed to the cause and work hard.

I'd be tempted to play McQueen over Bertand for his commitment as 'Berty' hasn't really given it his all for most of the season but when he can be bothered 'Ryan' is one of our best players. I'd drop Hoedt if we had an alternative though.

Neither is sticking with our current passengers like Tadic and Redmond, both of whom I would be quite happy to never see in a Saints shirt again.

I agree. Why people keep suggesting playing Tadic and or Redmond is beyond my comprehension. Neither have shown anything this season and when the chips are down and you want players to at least show some fight they always go missing in action. Come to think of it when the chips aren't down they are still a waste of space.

Everyone really just assumes poor form will carry on forever.

Couldn't be more of a typical Arsenal fck up. They're doing ok, just won a banana skin game, have focus on Europa league, long journey to Moscow. It would be perfect Arsenal to throw in a loss to a Saints side who've barely turned up for half a season.

Should have beaten them at home even under Pellegrino. No reason we can't put on a performance here.

We haven't won away to Arsenal in the league since 1987. Just sayin'.

We haven't won away to Arsenal in the league since 1987. Just sayin'.

Hence why I am not going to this for the first time in years. Hate the ground, hate hearing Arsenal, Arsenal, Arsenal all game and hate how sh*t we normally play there.

Edited by Saint Billy

It'll be interesting to see what side Arsenal put out. They're at full strength tonight, so will Wenger change things around and name a few of the youngsters?

Aubameyang will be playing as cup tied for Europa.

2nd leg hardly looking like a key game but if anyone could bottle it in Moscow it is Arsenal so expect much weakened side. Still West Ham were much weakened.

Emirates is a dreadful stadium at the best of times, but half empty as it is likely to be, will be the pits. It is looking dated and was always soulless; the architects must have had a brief to design out any chance of an atmosphere.

Out of all the new stadiums it is far and away the worst. Terrible view, stands aren't steep enough, terrible atmosphere, pig of a place to get to/from.

From Russell Howard the comedian.

Russell’s prediction: 0-2

Russell's prediction: I am going for Southampton to win and hopefully that again will help Liverpool to secure a top-four place - all of my predictions are so that Liverpool do well.

But I'd like Saints to stay up because, if they don't, who the hell are we going to buy players from? We can't go down to the Championship to look at players. 0-2

Russell's prediction: I am going for Southampton to win and hopefully that again will help Liverpool to secure a top-four place - all of my predictions are so that Liverpool do well.

But I'd like Saints to stay up because, if they don't, who the hell are we going to buy players from? We can't go down to the Championship to look at players. 0-2

He always was hilarious...

Isn't he the guy that always boasts about being a proud Bristolian? And he supports Liverpool? Ok...

Emirates is a dreadful stadium at the best of times, but half empty as it is likely to be, will be the pits. It is looking dated and was always soulless; the architects must have had a brief to design out any chance of an atmosphere.

What are you talking about. Looking dated? It's one of the very best stadia in the UK, better than Wembley, OT, SB, Anfield etc etc. of and miles better than the featureless wasteland of St Mary's

What are you talking about. Looking dated? It's one of the very best stadia in the UK, better than Wembley, OT, SB, Anfield etc etc. of and miles better than the featureless wasteland of St Mary's

Correct. HOK Sport (now known as Populous, the architects (and of Wembley)) are no mugs. It's the fans who are quiet. Does nobody remember the Highbury Library? They came too.

Russel Howard has seemed like an absolute c-unt whenever I have had the misfortune to see him on the TV.

To quote Jeremy Hardy, "Russell.....just shouting something doesn't make it funny."

Can't stand the git.

I have a horrible feeling that it will be 5 - 0 or even worse :scared:

Gone full circle, reminds me of our first trip to the Emirates in September 2012 , 6-1 defeat I think Yoshida came on to make his debut, we were all over the place. Danny Fox was our goal scorer that day!