Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal vs Southampton build up thread

Default Arsenal vs Southampton build up thread

Wow, this should be fun. Tomorrow Stoke play Arsenal, which is not going to help us either way - either Stoke miraculously pick up a point or 3 or Arsenal will gain more confidence by beating them, before hosting poor wounded Saints that have been battered 3-0 twice in successive Premier League games by relegation opposition.

I don't think this will be pretty, but I hope for a more solid performance than today's first half. Starts for Long, Yoshida, JWP, Boufal, Romeu, and maybe even Davis? Desperate times call for desperate measures. I certainly want to see Yoshida in there, JWP too.

2. Default

This game will mark 699 days since we last beat a top 6 side in the league.

Got a funny feeling we will pinch this one*

*cheeky insurance bet placed just in case

COYS

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

COYS
    I notice you have the guild of master craftsmen as your avatar, what trade are you in to display that????

4. Default

COYS
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwpp-RxgJ-4

Warning. Strong language.
    Last edited by OttawaSaint; 31-03-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Hard to pick a team given the 11 that played today don't really deserve to start.

Mccarthy
    Pied Stephens Yoshida Bertrand
    Romeu Hojberg
    Sims Hesketh Boufal
    Long

Subs: Forster, Hoedt, Lemina, JWP, Austin, Gabbi, Tadic

Sorry, seeing nothing but another embarrassing loss. If we get out having only shipped two, I'll call that progress, how sad is that?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    I notice you have the guild of master craftsmen as your avatar, what trade are you in to display that????
    Trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Trolling.
    To be fair though, for that discipline, he does deserve to bear said crest. He is a master.

Arsenal will be prioritising the Europa League, and then of course have the early kickoff on Sunday less than 72 hours later, so hopefully Wenger names the youth or something.

Try and park the bus and hope for the best.

3-1 win for arsenal with a much improved but ultimately fruitless performance from us

4-0 Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    3-1 win for arsenal with a much improved but ultimately fruitless performance from us
    Post match interview... "We are learning..."

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Arsenal will be prioritising the Europa League, and then of course have the early kickoff on Sunday less than 72 hours later, so hopefully Wenger names the youth or something.

Try and park the bus and hope for the best.
    Have you seen the state of our bus, ffs.

I'd go 4-3-3. Sims and Tadic playing off Gabbi. Hoj, Lem and Rom in the middle.

Haven't we run out of permutations already this season. Must have tried every single combination of front 4 and nothing has worked. Only point for discussion is how many we are going to lose by.

This could be horrendous!

Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    Wow, this should be fun. Tomorrow Stoke play Arsenal, which is not going to help us either way - either Stoke miraculously pick up a point or 3 or Arsenal will gain more confidence by beating them, before hosting poor wounded Saints that have been battered 3-0 twice in successive Premier League games by relegation opposition.

I don't think this will be pretty, but I hope for a more solid performance than today's first half. Starts for Long, Yoshida, JWP, Boufal, Romeu, and maybe even Davis? Desperate times call for desperate measures. I certainly want to see Yoshida in there, JWP too.
    Pretty well agree with that. We need the players who want to play for Saints, not themselves.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

18. Default

We'll probably end up winning this.

And then lose to Bournemouth.

To prolong the agony, it will be a spirited 1-0 defeat to give us some hope IMHO.

*cheeky insurance bet placed just in

COYS
    Feels like 699 days since we won any league game

21. Default

5-1 Arsenal. We'll go 2 nil down and get a goal back before half time to give false hope. Look good for first 15 mins of second half and miss a few sitters. Then concede, heads will drop and more will fly in as we are in disarray at the back. Torture.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    We'll probably end up winning this.

And then lose to Bournemouth.
    Nah we'll lose both. Bournemouth will confirm our relegation.

Im just amazed anybody thinks we will actually score.....
    Last edited by InvictaSaint; 02-04-2018 at 02:01 PM.

24. Default

Time for 5 at the back?

The fat lady will be warming up after this game.

This is what I would go with

Macca
    Pied
    Stephens
    Hoedt
    Yoshida
    Bertrand
    Romeu
    Hojbjerg
    Lemina
    Long
    Austin

Sadly, we all know that Cedric and Tadic will start and well have conceded defeat before kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    Self abuse by hand

Blog Entries

McCarthy
    Cedric
    Yoshida
    Hoedt
    Bertrand
    Romeu
    Hoijberg
    Lemina
    JWP
    Tadic
    Austin

Yoshida has to start, our best defender before his injury suddenly can't get in the team but Stephens who's yet to show any interest in winning a header is a starter. That hasto change. 442 is laughable outdated formation and we've never played well with it so rightly back to 5 midfielders and those 3 together centrally compete better together. JWP was in good form and his set pieces are our biggest threat so no idea why he's suddenly not in the side. Tadic is so frustrating but its no coincidence his and Austin form was best together so play them both. Boufal unlucky not to be in but the likes of Redmond and Gabbi can do one. Sadly we look better with Long in the side too so if we are to play 442 Long has to play as he's the only one in our side who can get us up the pitch.

When Yoshida is your best defender you know you are a championship side.

Arsenal are going to murder us regardless of our lineup, can’t even be arsed think about who to pick anymore.

Forfeit the game, take the 3-0 loss and use the extra day on the treadmil.

They are all so sh1t but Romeu and Yoshida must start. Actually Long too.
    Some mugs on here mentioning that Lemina was in the top 3 best signings. Fck me.
    And dont get me started on Hojberg. Did Pep give up on him as he realised he is incapable of passing to a fellow player? Not just him though but that performance yesterday was embarrassing and I have no love towards any of them bar Yoshi.

32. Default

4-5-1 is absolutely essential. Hughes should have learnt from Wigan but West Ham must have driven home that we can't give up the midfield.

33. Default

I hope Hughes can see Cedric's confidence is totally shot and finds an alternative formation or player that can keep him out.

The only smidgeon of hope here is that this match is sandwiched by both legs of Arsenal Europa Cup quarter final including tricky trip to Moscow. Arsenal have no chance of Champions League qualification via Premier League so this is surely their priority

I’d bring in Romeu and Yoshi to replace Lemina and Hoedt or Stephens respectively. The team desperately needs an injection of character. I’m assuming Hughes won’t go with a 4-4-2 away to Arsenal. He could try dropping Long back into the attacking 3 midfielders and keeping Austin up front, hoping that he will work his way into a semblance of match fitness.

Blog Entries

We’re exactly the type of side that flat track bullies like Arsenal have a field day against.

I know however many clubs and seasons people see they largely seem incapable of conceiving of bad form ending and surprise results. But it's the sort of game Arsenal could fck up.

Would take some fight from us, huge improvement and a bit of luck. But it's possible.

Like West ham, first goal is huge. If we can go ahead, I think we can get the result. But go behind early and we'll probably collapse again. Confidence is absolute wafer thin.

If we don't use JWP and get set pieces and crosses in against Arsenal then we should give up.

Stephens Yoshi Hoedt
    Cedric JWP Romeu Lemina Bertrand
    Austin Carrillo

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    If we don't use JWP and get set pieces and crosses in against Arsenal then we should give up.

Stephens Yoshi Hoedt
    Cedric JWP Romeu Lemina Bertrand
    Austin Carrillo
    i would put Long in ahead of Carillo, much rather have someone with a bit of nuisance and no goals over someone with no pace and no goals up front.

4th place will be out of sight for Arsenal if Spurs get 3 points today (likely).

Lightbulb Something a little bit different?

I think we need to do something a bit different so how about trying out 3/5 at the back with the full backs given freedom to bomb up the wing? It might look like this:

Macca
    Stephens Yoshida Hoedt
    Cedric/Pied Romeu Bertrand
    JWP Lemina McQueen
    Austin

My slight reservations is that I wonder if maybe we need a bit more experience in there, so maybe we should play Davis rather than JWP. Nevertheless, JWP does give us that extra option from set pieces and his form and confidence has been better than most of the squad this season!

To explain the line-up a little, I see Lemina playing as a box-to-box midfielder rather than as a static central midfielder. Also JWP/Davis plus McQueen can provide a combination of width or defensive compact-ness in midfield thus helping us to be defensively tighter and offering something different in the attacking third of the pitch.

3 nil saints

I wouldn't let Stephens or Hoedt anywhere near the Emirates unless we revel in costing disaster. Yoshida must start, must start, must start and surely time to blood an U23 CB and anchor Romeu in front of them. Davis back in please for some guts and backbone and sorry but Lemina is too cavalier for us at this stage of our season. I'd rets Cedric and give Pied a chance.

Let's face it we are going to get tonked but at least we need to throw bodies on the line to keep the score down. Even 2-0 might be our undoing at season's end.

44. Default

We’re gonna win this.

McCarthy
    Pied Yoshida Stephens Bertrand
    Romeu Hojbjerg
    Ward-Prowse Sims Boufal/Long
    Austin

Cedric, Tadic, Redmond all to be left at home. Stephens isn’t the best but he’s not a complete pussy like Hoedt. They’ve just won comfortably in what is normally a comfortable fixture for them, so in typical Arsenal fashion they’re gonna **** it up. Then Hughes will have just seen who absolutely isn’t up to it for us and will cut them out accordingly to get a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    The only smidgeon of hope here is that this match is sandwiched by both legs of Arsenal Europa Cup quarter final including tricky trip to Moscow. Arsenal have no chance of Champions League qualification via Premier League so this is surely their priority
    I agree. I may be in the minority but I actually think this is a winnable game and we can win if we just pick the right side.

JWP has to start for his set pieces alone. If I see Tadic take another powder puff drifted corner ill personally break his knee caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    I wouldn't let Stephens or Hoedt anywhere near the Emirates unless we revel in costing disaster. Yoshida must start, must start, must start and surely time to blood an U23 CB and anchor Romeu in front of them. Davis back in please for some guts and backbone and sorry but Lemina is too cavalier for us at this stage of our season. I'd rets Cedric and give Pied a chance.

Let's face it we are going to get tonked but at least we need to throw bodies on the line to keep the score down. Even 2-0 might be our undoing at season's end.
    That's exactly what we did do with Stephens. What are you suggesting, we give a slightly worse U23 CB a run out and hope that works better.

People cry out for the youth team to be given a chance because they will try and can't possibly be worse than the first team. What we have now is Martin Cranie 2.0.

Hahahahahahaha. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJackoInHurworth View Post
    I think we need to do something a bit different so how about trying out 3/5 at the back with the full backs given freedom to bomb up the wing? It might look like this:

Macca
    Stephens Yoshida Hoedt
    Cedric/Pied Romeu Bertrand
    JWP Lemina McQueen
    Austin

My slight reservations is that I wonder if maybe we need a bit more experience in there, so maybe we should play Davis rather than JWP. Nevertheless, JWP does give us that extra option from set pieces and his form and confidence has been better than most of the squad this season!

To explain the line-up a little, I see Lemina playing as a box-to-box midfielder rather than as a static central midfielder. Also JWP/Davis plus McQueen can provide a combination of width or defensive compact-ness in midfield thus helping us to be defensively tighter and offering something different in the attacking third of the pitch.
    That team has zero pace or creativity and would struggle in the Championship.

49. Default Arsenal vs Southampton build up thread

Id change formation for this one.

Go with a back 3, Bertrand as left CB ( he did ok for Ronald there), Stephens as right CB & Yoshida as centre.

JWP & McQueen as wing backs

Central 3 to clog up that area. PEH, OR & Lemina (only because theres nobody else).

Up top Id go for Sims in the 10, with Long up top.

Sit deep, get bodies in defensive positions, hit them on the break. Clearly getting goals will be the issue, so leaving Charlie out looks stupid. But, we wont get up the pitch to create any thing for him. Long & Sims have the pace to create something out of nothing. We can always bring Charlie on for the last 20 IF were still in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    That team has zero pace or creativity and would struggle in the Championship.
    So you don't think that Cedric/Pied, Bertrand, Lemina and McQueen have any pace? I think you will find they do! If you want even more pace with that formation then you could replace JWP with Sims or Redmond and Austin with Long or Gabbiadini. The problem with Redmond and Gabbiadini is that they are completely lacking in fitness and confidence and Long is similarly lacking in confidence (though for him fitness rarely seems to be an issue).

And in terms of creativity, I would argue Lemina has a fair degree of that if he is allowed to express it in the right areas of the pitch (i.e. not defensive midfield which is not his strongest position).

I am not here talking about some theoretical situation where we pick the best side on the basis of a player performing at their best; I would not be leaving Tadic and Redmond out in that situation. However, with so many players with low confidence we have got to pick a different side that reflects that. With this formation the role of pacy wingers is mainly given to the wing backs and I would argue they have plenty of pace and a reasonable level of creativity - even if not perhaps as much creativity as Redmond, Tadic or Boufal at their best.