Arsenal vs Southampton build up thread

SNSUN

Wow, this should be fun. :rolleyes: Tomorrow Stoke play Arsenal, which is not going to help us either way - either Stoke miraculously pick up a point or 3 or Arsenal will gain more confidence by beating them, before hosting poor wounded Saints that have been battered 3-0 twice in successive Premier League games by relegation opposition.

I don't think this will be pretty, but I hope for a more solid performance than today's first half. Starts for Long, Yoshida, JWP, Boufal, Romeu, and maybe even Davis? Desperate times call for desperate measures. I certainly want to see Yoshida in there, JWP too.

This game will mark 699 days since we last beat a top 6 side in the league.

Got a funny feeling we will pinch this one*

*cheeky insurance bet placed just in case

COYS

I notice you have the guild of master craftsmen as your avatar, what trade are you in to display that????

This game will mark 699 days since we last beat a top 6 side in the league.

Got a funny feeling we will pinch this one*

*cheeky insurance bet placed just in case

COYS

Warning. Strong language.

Edited by OttawaSaint

Arsenal will be prioritising the Europa League, and then of course have the early kickoff on Sunday less than 72 hours later, so hopefully Wenger names the youth or something.

Try and park the bus and hope for the best.

Have you seen the state of our bus, ffs.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Wow, this should be fun. :rolleyes: Tomorrow Stoke play Arsenal, which is not going to help us either way - either Stoke miraculously pick up a point or 3 or Arsenal will gain more confidence by beating them, before hosting poor wounded Saints that have been battered 3-0 twice in successive Premier League games by relegation opposition.

I don't think this will be pretty, but I hope for a more solid performance than today's first half. Starts for Long, Yoshida, JWP, Boufal, Romeu, and maybe even Davis? Desperate times call for desperate measures. I certainly want to see Yoshida in there, JWP too.

Pretty well agree with that. We need the players who want to play for Saints, not themselves.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5-1 Arsenal. We'll go 2 nil down and get a goal back before half time to give false hope. Look good for first 15 mins of second half and miss a few sitters. Then concede, heads will drop and more will fly in as we are in disarray at the back. Torture.

McCarthy

Cedric

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bertrand

Romeu

Hoijberg

Lemina

JWP

Tadic

Austin

Yoshida has to start, our best defender before his injury suddenly can't get in the team but Stephens who's yet to show any interest in winning a header is a starter. That hasto change. 442 is laughable outdated formation and we've never played well with it so rightly back to 5 midfielders and those 3 together centrally compete better together. JWP was in good form and his set pieces are our biggest threat so no idea why he's suddenly not in the side. Tadic is so frustrating but its no coincidence his and Austin form was best together so play them both. Boufal unlucky not to be in but the likes of Redmond and Gabbi can do one. Sadly we look better with Long in the side too so if we are to play 442 Long has to play as he's the only one in our side who can get us up the pitch.

They are all so sh1t but Romeu and Yoshida must start. Actually Long too.

Some mugs on here mentioning that Lemina was in the top 3 best signings. Fck me.

And don’t get me started on Hojberg. Did Pep give up on him as he realised he is incapable of passing to a fellow player? Not just him though but that performance yesterday was embarrassing and I have no love towards any of them bar Yoshi.

The only smidgeon of hope here is that this match is sandwiched by both legs of Arsenal Europa Cup quarter final including tricky trip to Moscow. Arsenal have no chance of Champions League qualification via Premier League so this is surely their priority

I’d bring in Romeu and Yoshi to replace Lemina and Hoedt or Stephens respectively. The team desperately needs an injection of character. I’m assuming Hughes won’t go with a 4-4-2 away to Arsenal. He could try dropping Long back into the attacking 3 midfielders and keeping Austin up front, hoping that he will work his way into a semblance of match fitness.

If we don't use JWP and get set pieces and crosses in against Arsenal then we should give up.

Stephens Yoshi Hoedt

Cedric JWP Romeu Lemina Bertrand

Austin Carrillo

i would put Long in ahead of Carillo, much rather have someone with a bit of nuisance and no goals over someone with no pace and no goals up front.

I think we need to do something a bit different so how about trying out 3/5 at the back with the full backs given freedom to bomb up the wing? It might look like this:

[table]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Macca[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td]Stephens[/td]

[td]Yoshida[/td]

[td]Hoedt[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Cedric/Pied[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Romeu[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Bertrand[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td] JWP[/td]

[td]Lemina[/td]

[td]McQueen[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Austin[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

My slight reservations is that I wonder if maybe we need a bit more experience in there, so maybe we should play Davis rather than JWP. Nevertheless, JWP does give us that extra option from set pieces and his form and confidence has been better than most of the squad this season!

To explain the line-up a little, I see Lemina playing as a box-to-box midfielder rather than as a static central midfielder. Also JWP/Davis plus McQueen can provide a combination of width or defensive compact-ness in midfield thus helping us to be defensively tighter and offering something different in the attacking third of the pitch.

I wouldn't let Stephens or Hoedt anywhere near the Emirates unless we revel in costing disaster. Yoshida must start, must start, must start and surely time to blood an U23 CB and anchor Romeu in front of them. Davis back in please for some guts and backbone and sorry but Lemina is too cavalier for us at this stage of our season. I'd rets Cedric and give Pied a chance.

Let's face it we are going to get tonked but at least we need to throw bodies on the line to keep the score down. Even 2-0 might be our undoing at season's end.

We’re gonna win this.

McCarthy

Pied Yoshida Stephens Bertrand

Romeu Hojbjerg

Ward-Prowse Sims Boufal/Long

Austin

Cedric, Tadic, Redmond all to be left at home. Stephens isn’t the best but he’s not a complete pussy like Hoedt. They’ve just won comfortably in what is normally a comfortable fixture for them, so in typical Arsenal fashion they’re gonna **** it up. Then Hughes will have just seen who absolutely isn’t up to it for us and will cut them out accordingly to get a reaction.

The only smidgeon of hope here is that this match is sandwiched by both legs of Arsenal Europa Cup quarter final including tricky trip to Moscow. Arsenal have no chance of Champions League qualification via Premier League so this is surely their priority

I agree. I may be in the minority but I actually think this is a winnable game and we can win if we just pick the right side.

JWP has to start for his set pieces alone. If I see Tadic take another powder puff drifted corner ill personally break his knee caps.

I wouldn't let Stephens or Hoedt anywhere near the Emirates unless we revel in costing disaster. Yoshida must start, must start, must start and surely time to blood an U23 CB and anchor Romeu in front of them. Davis back in please for some guts and backbone and sorry but Lemina is too cavalier for us at this stage of our season. I'd rets Cedric and give Pied a chance.

Let's face it we are going to get tonked but at least we need to throw bodies on the line to keep the score down. Even 2-0 might be our undoing at season's end.

That's exactly what we did do with Stephens. What are you suggesting, we give a slightly worse U23 CB a run out and hope that works better.

People cry out for the youth team to be given a chance because they will try and can't possibly be worse than the first team. What we have now is Martin Cranie 2.0.

I think we need to do something a bit different so how about trying out 3/5 at the back with the full backs given freedom to bomb up the wing? It might look like this:

[table]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Macca[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td]Stephens[/td]

[td]Yoshida[/td]

[td]Hoedt[/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Cedric/Pied[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Romeu[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Bertrand[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td] JWP[/td]

[td]Lemina[/td]

[td]McQueen[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Austin[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

My slight reservations is that I wonder if maybe we need a bit more experience in there, so maybe we should play Davis rather than JWP. Nevertheless, JWP does give us that extra option from set pieces and his form and confidence has been better than most of the squad this season!

To explain the line-up a little, I see Lemina playing as a box-to-box midfielder rather than as a static central midfielder. Also JWP/Davis plus McQueen can provide a combination of width or defensive compact-ness in midfield thus helping us to be defensively tighter and offering something different in the attacking third of the pitch.

That team has zero pace or creativity and would struggle in the Championship.

I’d change formation for this one.

Go with a back 3, Bertrand as left CB ( he did ok for Ronald there), Stephens as right CB & Yoshida as centre.

JWP & McQueen as wing backs

Central 3 to clog up that area. PEH, OR & Lemina (only because there’s nobody else).

Up top I’d go for Sims in the 10, with Long up top.

Sit deep, get bodies in defensive positions, hit them on the break. Clearly getting goals will be the issue, so leaving Charlie out looks stupid. But, we won’t get up the pitch to create any thing for him. Long & Sims have the pace to create something out of nothing. We can always bring Charlie on for the last 20 IF we’re still in it.

That team has zero pace or creativity and would struggle in the Championship.

So you don't think that Cedric/Pied, Bertrand, Lemina and McQueen have any pace? I think you will find they do! If you want even more pace with that formation then you could replace JWP with Sims or Redmond and Austin with Long or Gabbiadini. The problem with Redmond and Gabbiadini is that they are completely lacking in fitness and confidence and Long is similarly lacking in confidence (though for him fitness rarely seems to be an issue).

And in terms of creativity, I would argue Lemina has a fair degree of that if he is allowed to express it in the right areas of the pitch (i.e. not defensive midfield which is not his strongest position).

I am not here talking about some theoretical situation where we pick the best side on the basis of a player performing at their best; I would not be leaving Tadic and Redmond out in that situation. However, with so many players with low confidence we have got to pick a different side that reflects that. With this formation the role of pacy wingers is mainly given to the wing backs and I would argue they have plenty of pace and a reasonable level of creativity - even if not perhaps as much creativity as Redmond, Tadic or Boufal at their best.

So you don't think that Cedric/Pied, Bertrand, Lemina and McQueen have any pace? I think you will find they do! If you want even more pace with that formation then you could replace JWP with Sims or Redmond and Austin with Long or Gabbiadini. The problem with Redmond and Gabbiadini is that they are completely lacking in fitness and confidence and Long is similarly lacking in confidence (though for him fitness rarely seems to be an issue).

And in terms of creativity, I would argue Lemina has a fair degree of that if he is allowed to express it in the right areas of the pitch (i.e. not defensive midfield which is not his strongest position).

I am not here talking about some theoretical situation where we pick the best side on the basis of a player performing at their best; I would not be leaving Tadic and Redmond out in that situation. However, with so many players with low confidence we have got to pick a different side that reflects that. With this formation the role of pacy wingers is mainly given to the wing backs and I would argue they have plenty of pace and a reasonable level of creativity - even if not perhaps as much creativity as Redmond, Tadic or Boufal at their best.

Your team pick was garbage mate sorry. If you stop Tadic fine, but not for mcqueen... Sims should be in there. I would certainly drop Lemina. He is utter garbage, flatters to deceive about as much as Boufal but gets away from it more because he is less audacious. I would play:

.....................Macca......................

Pied Yoshida Stephens Bertrand

.................PEH...Romeu................

Redmond.......JWP................Sims

......................Gabba.......................

Really don't think it's complicated for the manager (whoever it is). Stop putting square pegs in round holes. Pick a fast possession team with players who want to run and carry the ball. Play in the opposition half, defend with everyone when we need to and then break fast (I can't remember the last time we counter attacked effectively... then use a lethal finisher with good movement, JWP for set prices... and a midfield 3 that don't **** around but just get and cycle the ball out to the runners whisky shielding the back (I.e. not what show ponies like Boufal/Tadic/Lemina do)! Winning football games isn't that hard, just get an effective and simple strat and stick to it FFS.

Saints don't have big physical players, what we have is technical players who run with the ball and can keep it. Just fecking let them do that in the 3rd that matters FFS.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint86