The Championship Transfer window.

lumuah

Someone mentioned Carey at Plymouth been watching him tonight and can see why. Lovely left foot pings passes forward creates well and looks to be able to go up levels

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep, Carey and Bryan would be 2 excellent acquisitions for us regardless of what division we are in.

If we go down is Carillo likely to stay or go?

It hasn't really been made clear at the club why Carillo is completely frozen out at the moment.

Our record signing and as far as I can see, no mention of why he's not even on the bench.

Finding a buyer may be the biggest problem. I suspect he'll be loaned out and eventually sold for peanuts.

god how low are you already preparing to stoop

I said short-term.

He's exactly the type of leader/dominant centre-back with plenty of Championship experience that we would need alongside Stephens or Bednarek if we went down, in order to help us come straight back up.

I think some people forget we got promoted with Jos Hooiveld, Danny Butterfield, Frazer Richardson and Danny Fox as regulars in our back four last time we were there.

Who do you think we'd get if we get relegated, then?

Edited by beavis17

god how low are you already preparing to stoop

If I were Flint I'd stay at City - club with mometum, owner investing sensibly, rebuilt stadium.

Graham Carey would be superb in the Championship, seen him a few times at Home Park, and could become a crowd favourite.

I said short-term.

He's exactly the type of leader/dominant centre-back with plenty of Championship experience that we would need alongside Stephens or Bednarek if we went down, in order to help us come straight back up.

I think some people forget we got promoted with Jos Hooiveld, Danny Butterfield, Frazer Richardson and Danny Fox as regulars in our back four last time we were there.

Who do you think we'd get if we get relegated, then?

I'd consider him as well. I think people forget what you need down there.

Don't think we need another left back with Bertrand / Targett / McQueen, certainly more important positions to be wasting ca £20m on...

This is the championship transfer thread though so assume Bertrand / Targett will go.

Why.... give an opinion ...if we are in the Championship and are offered a reasonable fee for Targett do you think we would turn it down.

Because you need to state what a "reasonable fee is", because our view of what counts as an acceptable fee could differ. So it is a key point and valid question to ask

Edited by Matthew Le God

Why.... give an opinion ...if we are in the Championship and are offered a reasonable fee for Targett do you think we would turn it down.

I will give you an opinion seeing as Mr "If you think this squad will finish anywhere near the relegation places your opinion of players is misguided" doesn't want to. - No we won't turn it down.

I will give you an opinion seeing as Mr "If you think this squad will finish anywhere near the relegation places your opinion of players is misguided" doesn't want to. - No we won't turn it down.

Thanks I gave up ....me neither if we go down we will have to sell to pay off the loan. What worries me is we are 5 players away from being decent whichever division we are in after losing who I expect will go.

I dont trust this lot to wipe their ars8.

How do you know when you don't know what "it" is?

Thanks I gave up ....me neither if we go down we will have to sell to pay off the loan. What worries me is we are 5 players away from being decent whichever division we are in after losing who I expect will go.

Why can't you put a number on it?

5m+ extras

It would cost us more to buy another LB at that price.

Bertrand is as good as gone this summer (regardless of the league) so it seems unlikely we will sell Targett unless the fee is big. If we go down I imagine Targett will become 1st choice at LB.

5m+ extras

£5m! What extras? Because they'd have to be significant because he is worth a lot more than £5m. He has a decent amount of Premier League experience and is doing very well for a top Championship team. Half decent seasons in the Championship is seeing players go for £15m+, let alone £5m with 4 years left on your contract!

I'd see Saints having very little incentive to sell a player like him for £5m especially when he is under contract until 2022. We got £16m for Chambers in 2014, the market has moved on since then.

I'd see Saints having very little incentive to sell a player like him for £5m especially when he is under contract until 2022. We got £16m for Chambers in 2014, the market has moved on since then.

£5mill is too cheap but someone on here said he was on 50k a week, we might have to sell if our finances are bad enough. It all depends on Mr Gao and his silence so far is not exactly encouraging.

£5mill is too cheap but someone on here said he was on 50k a week, we might have to sell if our finances are bad enough. It all depends on Mr Gao and his silence so far is not exactly encouraging.

Other clubs have managed to keep players on such wages with parachute payments in the Championship. Plus unless we were daft many if not all the players would have wage decreases on relegation written into their contracts.

Other clubs have managed to keep players on such wages with parachute payments in the Championship. Plus unless we were daft many if not all the players would have wage decreases on relegation written into their contracts.

We will keep some players but I expect it will be the **** older ones on high wages that stay because we won’t be able to find a buyer. We will probably have to sell the likes of Targett to pay Carrillo’s wages.

Hopefully they all have relegation clauses, no one seems to know. You would think it would be done by default nowadays.

Other clubs don’t seem to sell a whole starting 11’s over 3 summers.

of course it is it was a figure to get him to offer an opinion.

I think Mr Gao's silence is more to do with the fact that he can't (yet) speak English, although he is learning so someone posted on here a little while ago.

Anyway, did Markus Liebherr ever make any public comments? I seem to recall Nicola being the spokesperson really, so it's not that important if Gao doesn't say anything.

Name some clubs that have had a similar number of high quality players to us. Palace, Villa, Sunderland, Stoke, West Brom, West Ham, Swansea etc etc simiply haven't had the number of high quality players we've had in the last 5 years. They left for the richest clubs in the world, that isn't a bad sign it is a positive one. Better to have had them and sold them, then plod along never signing a player the top clubs will want.

But they all would've done if they had the same quality of players and received the same offers from the teams we did.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I think a lot of fans seem to think we are going to be spending to go back up at the 1st attempt. I also think a lot of fans are going to be in for a shock. I think the board will be planning to cut costs and making sure we are not going to go belly up again.

I can see several players going for a lot less then some think simply because we will need to reduce the wage bill. It wouldn't surprise me if the corner blocks were closed again. If i worked at St Mary's I would be very worried about my job.

I think a lot of fans seem to think we are going to be spending to go back up at the 1st attempt. I also think a lot of fans are going to be in for a shock. I think the board will be planning to cut costs and making sure we are not going to go belly up again.

I can see several players going for a lot less then some think simply because we will need to reduce the wage bill. It wouldn't surprise me if the corner blocks were closed again. If i worked at St Mary's I would be very worried about my job.

great post exactly my thoughts too.

I think Mr Gao's silence is more to do with the fact that he can't (yet) speak English, although he is learning so someone posted on here a little while ago.

Anyway, did Markus Liebherr ever make any public comments? I seem to recall Nicola being the spokesperson really, so it's not that important if Gao doesn't say anything.

It doesn’t matter if it was Cortese or Marcus but the fact was they talked about their plans and ambitions. Gao has a dodgy past, he’s borrowed the money to buy the club and he hasn’t said a word about why or what his plans are, who’s going to pay the debt off and how. All we have had since he’s been involved is player sales and a slide down the league, you need to have rocks in your head not to be concerned.

Good post. We'll slash lots of jobs, that's inevitable.

On sales, we'll struggle to make money when offloading certain players. Take Forster. He's apparently on £100k a week for another 4 years. In other words £21m. We won't want to keep him. He won't want to lose any of that £21m. Nobody will want to pay him what he's on here, and his stock has dropped big time this season. If he goes for £10 million and gets £60k a week somewhere that transfer fee will go on paying up the balance of his contract and agents fees.

That's before Carrillo, Boufal, Gabbi, and others who's values will have plummeted owing to performances this year.

Relegation will have a huge impact which we'll only cope with if Gao turns out to be Markus mk 2 which seems unlikely.

On sales, we'll struggle to make money when offloading certain players. Take Forster. He's apparently on £100k a week for another 4 years. In other words £21m. We won't want to keep him. He won't want to lose any of that £21m. Nobody will want to pay him what he's on here, and his stock has dropped big time this season. If he goes for £10 million and gets £60k a week somewhere that transfer fee will go on paying up the balance of his contract and agents fees.

That's before Carrillo, Boufal, Gabbi, and others who's values will have plummeted owing to performances this year.

Relegation will have a huge impact which we'll only cope with if Gao turns out to be Markus mk 2 which seems unlikely.

Depressingly true. We still have to pay the instalments on a lot of these players.

I can hear people asking "Where's all the money gone?" already.

Interesting piece on the Sunderland take over on the BBC and their finances

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44005205

The news comes as Sunderland published annual accounts showing the club's debt rose to £125.7m.

Financial details of Donald's purchase of the club have not been revealed but it is understood Short has agreed to clear the debt in order to push through the sale.

The accounts to 31 July 2017 cover Sunderland's relegation from the Premier League.

They suffered a second successive relegation this season as they finished bottom of the Championship and will play in the third tier of English football for only the second time in their history next season.

Turnover rose by £18.3m to £126.4m thanks to the new Premier League TV deal.

Sunderland also revealed their highest paid director - understood to be chief executive Martin Bain - received £1.24m.

The club reported a pre-tax loss of £9.9m, a figure which was helped by the £25m sale of England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford to Everton.

Depressingly true. We still have to pay the instalments on a lot of these players.

I can hear people asking "Where's all the money gone?" already.

Probably true as thats how a lot of deals are structured, but you'd expect we're probably on the receiving end of some fees too from the players we've sold - would expect them probably to even themselves out.

We don’t know he’s on £100k. I suspect he would have a relegation wage reduction clause, which are between 30-50%. So his wage would be £50k in champo [if he’s on £100k]. So that £60k offer he would definitely take and we wouldn’t need to subsidise anything

We don’t know he’s on £100k. I suspect he would have a relegation wage reduction clause, which are between 30-50%. So his wage would be £50k in champo [if he’s on £100k]. So that £60k offer he would definitely take and we wouldn’t need to subsidise anything

Truth is we don't know. The £100k reports seem credible to me, and I'm worried the arrogance of the club runs so deep that we either don't have widespread relegation clauses, or if we do the deductions aren't anything like 50%

Either way, many many fans seem oblivious to the impact of relegation on the club. It'll be massive and difficult to recover from.

Not sure how true this story is (or if it has been mentioned before) but Bild reported that we have passed up on signing Max Meyer, the 22-year-old AM German intenrational from Schlake, on a free contract in the summer because he asked for a signing on bonus of just under 10m euros. If this is true then that is horrible business passing up on a player apparently being touted to Liverpool and Arsenal (according the the British press) and, at the very least, would have resale value.

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/schalke/kein-interesse-southampton-lehnt-meyer-ab-55598470.bild.html#fromWall

According to the Dutch paper De Telegraaf Ajax is aiming for Tadic as a replacement for Ziyech who wants to leave. Tadic is not unwillingly to return to the Netherlands as long as the pay suits him (of course...). To match his salary at Saints, Ajax will have to pay him far more than their next best payed player but as they are panicking (no prices in 4 years) it is said they are willing to forget about their usual salary cap. The only thing that has to happen is Saints to relegate... :mcinnes:

Not sure how true this story is (or if it has been mentioned before) but Bild reported that we have passed up on signing Max Meyer, the 22-year-old AM German intenrational from Schlake, on a free contract in the summer because he asked for a signing on bonus of just under 10m euros. If this is true then that is horrible business passing up on a player apparently being touted to Liverpool and Arsenal (according the the British press) and, at the very least, would have resale value.

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/schalke/kein-interesse-southampton-lehnt-meyer-ab-55598470.bild.html#fromWall

Supposedly it has come from Schalke, who are apparently quite keen to paint Meyer as a money grabber. I wouldn't blame Saints.