The Championship Transfer window.

lumuah

i know it's all doom and gloom on here, and rightfully so.

So what sort of players should we be looking for in the championship?

I think it's clear we are going to see a big change of personnel once the rats desert the ship, so who would be realistic targets for the championship assuming we go down? (I.e. not players we would be looking at if we stayed up)

The unfortunate state of affairs mean that the club will see this as a great opportunity to fill us with the academy/Southampton way malarkey, so don't expect big investment into any sort of proven and experienced NPC or top quality (i.e Wolves) as it will block the 'pathway'. We'll just see the likes of Gallagher, Sims, Stephens, Reed, Targett, Hesketh, Bedranek, McQueen etc play bigger roles. That's not a disservice to those guys as they're not bad at that level (not amazing though), but it's still quite a distance away from the last NPC team we had with Cork, Morgan, Lallana, Lambo, Fonte etc down the spine.

The unfortunate state of affairs mean that the club will see this as a great opportunity to fill us with the academy/Southampton way malarkey, so don't expect big investment into any sort of proven and experienced NPC or top quality (i.e Wolves) as it will block the 'pathway'. We'll just see the likes of Gallagher, Sims, Stephens, Reed, Targett, Hesketh, Bedranek, McQueen etc play bigger roles. That's not a disservice to those guys as they're not bad at that level (not amazing though), but it's still quite a distance away from the last NPC team we had with Cork, Morgan, Lallana, Lambo, Fonte etc down the spine.

To be honest though, those players you've mentioned should all be good enough, Gallagher, Reed and Targett are already proving themselves. Bednarek is an unknown really.

To be honest though, those players you've mentioned should all be good enough, Gallagher, Reed and Targett are already proving themselves. Bednarek is an unknown really.

Not sure Gallagher and Reed have really pulled up any trees to be honest. We wouldn't achieve a great deal with those down the spine.

Targett would probably do OK though, but let's remember he's in a very confident team with a very, very good player in front of him (Sessengon)

Not sure Gallagher and Reed have really pulled up any trees to be honest. We wouldn't achieve a great deal with those down the spine.

Targett would probably do OK though, but let's remember he's in a very confident team with a very, very good player in front of him (Sessengon)

Agree. Fulham have what we had too. Momentum.

We're going to have to start over, with no momentum & with a recruitment department that leave a lot to be desired.

No idea how our finances are going to look either.

If Fulham go up Targett won’t be back, Fulham will want to keep him guaranteed.

If Fulham go up Targett won’t be back, Fulham will want to keep him guaranteed.

If Fulham go up, and by pass us on the way, it will also bugger any plans to recruit Jokanovic who might have been our best option to get out of that division.

But never mind, Les will have all angles covered.

I think it's clear we are going to see a big change of personnel once the rats desert the ship

I'm not so sure. We gave the entire squad long contracts and big payrises. There's no guarantee that other clubs are willing to match their wages so we might be stuck with most of them. I'm actually really worried that we're in enormous financial trouble if we go down as we'll have to shed about £50m/yr wages just to break even.

I was always a big fan of recruiting players that made the championship & league 1 team of the seasons from the previous season.

With the recent international break, there has been a bit of L1 football on the TV. I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Bradley Dack or Nick Powell if I'm honest.

Also thought that Wigan RB looked alright when they played us - for that level, very good going forward.

With the recent international break, there has been a bit of L1 football on the TV. I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Bradley Dack or Nick Powell if I'm honest.

Also thought that Wigan RB looked alright when they played us - for that level, very good going forward.

Have been doing the same. Agree with all 3 players.

it'll be interesting to see what happens with the likes of Lemina and Hoedt, both expensive purchases, both only just into long term contracts. They'll want to go but I can;t see us accepting a loss on them and at the same time can't see a host of clubs paying £30 million plus for them.

it'll be interesting to see what happens with the likes of Lemina and Hoedt, both expensive purchases, both only just into long term contracts. They'll want to go but I can;t see us accepting a loss on them and at the same time can't see a host of clubs paying £30 million plus for them.

We'll be lucky to get money back on Hoedt. Only thing would be that he is still young and has a good rep - won't get £30m for him though.

Lemina has clearly shown he is class in bursts, but would maybe question his motivation this season when he's needed to step up...?

I suppose we will loan them out if we can't find buyers. Can't imagine either will have the attitude for the championship.

Bartosz Bialkowski having a very good season at Ipswich. Recently broke into the Poland national team.

Would be a good replacement for Forster if we don't feel like McCarthy is up to it (personally think we'll go with McCarthy and the young lad who's out on loan in Scotland - any idea how he's doing?)

A very premature thread really. We can avoid relegation and should concentrate on doing so. Wins against Bournemouth and Swansea should be well within our grasp and could very well be all we need because I don't see Huddersfield getting many more points.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Isn't this what we did with Portvilet and Wott at the helm?

i know it's all doom and gloom on here, and rightfully so.

So what sort of players should we be looking for in the championship?

I think it's clear we are going to see a big change of personnel once the rats desert the ship, so who would be realistic targets for the championship assuming we go down? (I.e. not players we would be looking at if we stayed up)

I’m not going to assume that all the rats will leave the sinking ship. It would not surprise me if Bertrand goes - there were lots of rumours he wanted to leave last summer. I’m sure Tadic probably considers himself to be too big for the Championship. The club may be planning on largely keeping the team together but should consider strengthening obvious weak areas like CB and striker.

When Newcastle went down, didn’t they pretty much keep their first team with the exception of selling Wijnaldum to Liverpool for something like £25M?

Bartosz Bialkowski having a very good season at Ipswich. Recently broke into the Poland national team.

Would be a good replacement for Forster if we don't feel like McCarthy is up to it (personally think we'll go with McCarthy and the young lad who's out on loan in Scotland - any idea how he's doing?)

Interesting now to compare what we paid for Forster (£10 million) with what we got for Bialkowski and Boruc (nothing).

I’m not going to assume that all the rats will leave the sinking ship. It would not surprise me if Bertrand goes - there were lots of rumours he wanted to leave last summer. I’m sure Tadic probably considers himself to be too big for the Championship. The club may be planning on largely keeping the team together but should consider strengthening obvious weak areas like CB and striker.

When Newcastle went down, didn’t they pretty much keep their first team with the exception of selling Wijnaldum to Liverpool for something like £25M?

Nothing to do with rats leaving its more to do with balancing the books and paying back the 210m isn't it. Gao will need to sell IMO - if Bertrand goes for 25m, Tadic 5m, Forster 5m and Carillo 50p and a bag of peanuts that would help for one season on top of what we didnt spend in January.

I hate to say it - but there are some people with short memories on here of the champ if they think the likes of Reed, McQueen, Sims, Valery and Gallagher are good enough for anything other than another relegation battle. There are some decent players in that league (better than the ones we have currently got in some cases)

I hate to say it - but there are some people with short memories on here of the champ if they think the likes of Reed, McQueen, Sims, Valery and Gallagher are good enough for anything other than another relegation battle. There are some decent players in that league (better than the ones we have currently got in some cases)
I think some of the players you mention will be able to do a job in the championship. The secret is to complement these players with some quality.

We need to sign championship know-how and/or experienced players if we are going to play with that lot.

Aden Flint & Sol Bamba are the type of centre-backs that do well down there.

We’ll need to assert ourselves as the biggest promotion canditates by signing a talisman and proven goal scorer of the Championship and an/assist attacking player. Rely on Long and it’ll be 2006 all over.

This will truly show the position of the new owners.

Not over till it’s over though.

I'd be happy with that. I'd rather see these players busting a gut than the current crop fopping around.

We’ll need to assert ourselves as the biggest promotion canditates by signing a talisman and proven goal scorer of the Championship and an/assist attacking player. Rely on Long and it’ll be 2006 all over.

This will truly show the position of the new owners.

Not over till it’s over though.

Long would rip the Championship apart. Him and Austin up top together would be devastating. Add Gallagher to the mix and we'd have decent striking options. Who knows, maybe even Carrillo could do a job.

Long would rip the Championship apart. Him and Austin up top together would be devastating. Add Gallagher to the mix and we'd have decent striking options. Who knows, maybe even Carrillo could do a job.

I remember fables of saints “walking the league” when when we were relegated in 2005.

I remember fables of saints “walking the league” when when we were relegated in 2005.

IMO we had a team that could have gotten out at the first asking with 1 exception, we didn't have a decent striker and the wheels came off because of this. I think we spent something like 90k on Fuller and it cost us 6-7 years in the lower leagues and an eventual bankruptcy.

If we go down and if we want to get out at the first attempt (I hope we do) then keeping Long and Austin is a real priority for me.

IMO we had a team that could have gotten out at the first asking with 1 exception, we didn't have a decent striker and the wheels came off because of this. I think we spent something like 90k on Fuller and it cost us 6-7 years in the lower leagues and an eventual bankruptcy.

If we go down and if we want to get out at the first attempt (I hope we do) then keeping Long and Austin is a real priority for me.

We need better than long and Austin. Scoring goals has been a real issue this year and that will continue next season.

We need better than long and Austin. Scoring goals has been a real issue this year and that will continue next season.

We probably won't get better than a fit Austin in the championship problem is he can't bloody stay fit for a whole season.

I'm assuming Sam Gallagher will get a chance next season (not suggesting we don't buy another striker as well) he has proved he can score at that level and could replace Long I reckon.

Was that before or after we flogged Crouch and then invested a whole 90k in the team for the new season?

How well we do in the championship will be down to the attitude the clubs owners take in the summer.

Keep Hughes (assuming he wants to stay) clear out the dead wood and spend a bit to bring in players who want to work hard to get into the PL and we have a chance.

If we just go into a save money, sell everything worth some cash, appoint Kelvin Davis as manager and spend half a million on a couple of bargain basement signings mode we will struggle for years.

We probably won't get better than a fit Austin in the championship problem is he can't bloody stay fit for a whole season.

I'm assuming Sam Gallagher will get a chance next season (not suggesting we don't buy another striker as well) he has proved he can score at that level and could replace Long I reckon.

Yes I largely agree with that. Austin won't be fit all season- he can play the David connolly role next year- and Long can be next years tadanari Lee or Billy Sharp in terms of contribution to the team. We need a talismatic striker still to lead the line coupled with a desperately needed creative midfielder player and then a complete defensive rebuild. Something like

Mccarthy

New rb new cb yoshida new lb (targett will be off)

Jwp romeu Reed sims

New Creative Am

Austin/ new striker

With long as an impact sub and Gallagher on the bench

Shane Long would certainly be very useful down there. Not sure he'd rip it apart.

Decent mix of strikers though, assuming we would keep them all. Austin / Long probably on BIG money.

The bigger question is, would anyone trust Les & Ross to re-build? They seemingly have a blind-spot when it comes to defenders & strikers.

Shane Long would certainly be very useful down there. Not sure he'd rip it apart.

Decent mix of strikers though, assuming we would keep them all. Austin / Long probably on BIG money.

The bigger question is, would anyone trust Les & Ross to re-build? They seemingly have a blind-spot when it comes to defenders & strikers.

I'm expecting them to be long gone. Les and Ross I mean.