The Championship Transfer window.

lumuah

We probably won't get better than a fit Austin in the championship problem is he can't bloody stay fit for a whole season.

I'm assuming Sam Gallagher will get a chance next season (not suggesting we don't buy another striker as well) he has proved he can score at that level and could replace Long I reckon.

I think Gallagher will compliment Long, rather than replace him. He's not a striker who will be chasing every ball and out-running defenders, he's somewhere closer to Austin in that he needs service and balls into him, rather than being the guy to go and find it. I think Long + Austin or Gallagher would work.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing our academy players play regularly; the thought of having a largely home-grown squad is quite exciting. There are plenty of players in multiple positions who haven't quite been good enough in the EPL, or haven't been given the chance to play regularly enough to prove themselves.

McQueen, Sims, Hesketh, Gallagher, Reed, etc will do well for us, if complimented with a handful of experience Championship players. Then there are others who haven't had any chance at all who are worth trying, or potentially good squad players, such as Jones, Valery, Obafemi (OK, he had one chance...).

We'll still need some solid and experienced leaders, especially at CB (if Yoshi doesn't stay) and midfield (if Romeu doesn't stay).

I think Gallagher will compliment Long, rather than replace him. He's not a striker who will be chasing every ball and out-running defenders, he's somewhere closer to Austin in that he needs service and balls into him, rather than being the guy to go and find it. I think Long + Austin or Gallagher would work.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing our academy players play regularly; the thought of having a largely home-grown squad is quite exciting. There are plenty of players in multiple positions who haven't quite been good enough in the EPL, or haven't been given the chance to play regularly enough to prove themselves.

McQueen, Sims, Hesketh, Gallagher, Reed, etc will do well for us, if complimented with a handful of experience Championship players. Then there are others who haven't had any chance at all who are worth trying, or potentially good squad players, such as Jones, Valery, Obafemi (OK, he had one chance...).

We'll still need some solid and experienced leaders, especially at CB (if Yoshi doesn't stay) and midfield (if Romeu doesn't stay).

We really do. One of the things I loved about our recruitment under Pards/Cortese run was how so many of our signings were:

1) Physically big.

2) Had been captains previously.

If we go down, I'd like us to take a punt on Plymouth's Graham Carey. Their talisman.

Argyle have done brilliantly to get their way back from the brink, but financially they are going to be found wanting in the Championship unless they can get a cash boost from somewhere.

I have seen him play a few times and he's undoubtedly better than League One/Two standard. Similar age to Sir Rickie when we signed him too (though different kind of player).

If we go down, I'd like us to take a punt on Plymouth's Graham Carey. Their talisman.

Argyle have done brilliantly to get their way back from the brink, but financially they are going to be found wanting in the Championship unless they can get a cash boost from somewhere.

I have seen him play a few times and he's undoubtedly better than League One/Two standard. Similar age to Sir Rickie when we signed him too (though different kind of player).

Batman mentioned has him previously. Get him on the bus! (I miss saying that)

Would be nice to start next season with something like...

----------------McCarthy-------------------

Valery---- Yoshida---- Hoedt---- Targett

------------Romeu-----Hojbjerg-----------

JWP-------------Hesketh-------------Sims

-------------Austin/Gallagher----------------

Obviously a few of those will inevitably go, and likely will need to bring in a few leaders, as we're seriously lacking in that department at the moment.

Keep

Maya Yoshida

Jack Stephens

Jan Bednarek

Shane Long

Steven Davis

Charlie Austin

Alex McCarthy

Nathan Redmond

Jérémy Pied

Will Wood

Alfie Jones

Jake Flannigan

Sam McQueen

Josh Sims

Jake Hesketh

Yan Valery

Michael Obafemi

Matt Targett

Want to keep but likely to go:

Wesley Hoedt

Oriol Romeu

James Ward-Prowse

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Batman mentioned has him previously. Get him on the bus! (I miss saying that)

Ah yeah, my bad!:lol:

He's quite right though. Lot depends on how much he wants to stay at Argyle, by all accounts he seems quite happy but you never know. The club might welcome a big bid to re-invest as they have done (although it is kind of a slippery slope selling your best players...:uhoh:

First things first, we need a captain. Someone who's got some b*llocks and will lead by example - something that's been lacking for 2 seasons. Ideally they would be a centre back, as we are desperately short there. It won't happen, but I wouldn't be bothered if we got rid of all our CB's in the summer. Not one of them can physically mix it in the Prem, god knows what they'll be like in the Championship.

I think Austin would score a shed load, but the chances of him staying fit for 80% of games next year is unlikely. Definitely need to spend some money on a striker. Look at what Mitrovic has done at Fulham, completely transformed them.

Then we need someone whose going to play CAM and weigh in with a decent amount of goals - someone in a similar mould to a James Maddison. Something we've lacked for a long time, but hopefully there will be better options for us in the Championship. As already mentioned, Nick Powell could be a good shout but imagine he'd be pricey.

In reality though, I suspect we will be left with the dregs of what we couldn't sell (Forster, Long, Hoedt etc) who can't be assed and will supplement them with academy products that aren't ready. Can't wait.

Ah yeah, my bad!:lol:

He's quite right though. Lot depends on how much he wants to stay at Argyle, by all accounts he seems quite happy but you never know. The club might welcome a big bid to re-invest as they have done (although it is kind of a slippery slope selling your best players...:uhoh:

Certainly wasn't moaning at you that he'd been mentioned previously, Uwe :)

Just mentioned it because I remembered his name after Batman mentioned him as I'd not seen him play before.

Obviously a few of those will inevitably go, and likely will need to bring in a few leaders, as we're seriously lacking in that department at the moment.

Keep

Maya Yoshida

Jack Stephens

Jan Bednarek

Shane Long

Steven Davis

Charlie Austin

Alex McCarthy

Nathan Redmond

Jérémy Pied

Will Wood

Alfie Jones

Jake Flannigan

Sam McQueen

Josh Sims

Jake Hesketh

Yan Valery

Michael Obafemi

Matt Targett

Want to keep but likely to go:

Wesley Hoedt

Oriol Romeu

James Ward-Prowse

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Don't think they'll end up with that thin a squad, personally. Going on the logic Lemina Bertrand Cedric Tadic and Gabbiadini will be the first out of the door, I think we'd force a couple of those at the end of your list to stay, like PEH and/or JWP (Hoedt's tantrums at being dropped suggests he'd kick up a public fuss if he was made to stay). Pied's out of contract this year anyway so he'll be gone, and ditto Gardos. Clasie will be sold too I imagine.

Looking at your starting XI I think we'll target a new RB, CB, ST and an attacking midfielder. That may change if they decide to stick with the 3 CBs in the championship; Wolves done well with that this season.

Don't think they'll end up with that thin a squad, personally. Going on the logic Lemina Bertrand Cedric Tadic and Gabbiadini will be the first out of the door, I think we'd force a couple of those at the end of your list to stay, like PEH and/or JWP (Hoedt's tantrums at being dropped suggests he'd kick up a public fuss if he was made to stay). Pied's out of contract this year anyway so he'll be gone, and ditto Gardos. Clasie will be sold too I imagine.

Looking at your starting XI I think we'll target a new RB, CB, ST and an attacking midfielder. That may change if they decide to stick with the 3 CBs in the championship; Wolves done well with that this season.

I don't think PEH would stay, but I think he'd really develop in the championship.

I don't think PEH would stay, but I think he'd really develop in the championship.

Neither do I really- just think there'll be plenty ahead in the queue to go, so he may be the one who misses out like Schneiderlin in 2014.

Yes I largely agree with that. Austin won't be fit all season- he can play the David connolly role next year- and Long can be next years tadanari Lee or Billy Sharp in terms of contribution to the team. We need a talismatic striker still to lead the line coupled with a desperately needed creative midfielder player and then a complete defensive rebuild. Something like

Mccarthy

New rb new cb yoshida new lb (targett will be off)

Jwp romeu Reed sims

New Creative Am

Austin/ new striker

With long as an impact sub and Gallagher on the bench

Don't forget we are signing Quincey Promes for £30 million.

Agree that we'd certainly want a stronger squad, I did that on the basis that we'd have new signings on top of that list above. The Championship has some bloody good teams in though, and clubs that can spend £20m on one player. We need to recruit well, this summer, and I'm not sure that thats going to happen with the current recruitment team...!

I can’t see Romeu staying. Good player and no doubt would be in demand in a top league.

JwP, god knows. Lemina, Gabbi, Bertrand, Boufal, Clasie, Gardos, Hojberg, Romeu, Tadic and Forster (probably for wage reasons)

Will all likely go.

That is going to mean the purchase of around 5+ players good enough to challenge for promotion required to come in.

Trust les and co doing that?

I can’t see Romeu staying. Good player and no doubt would be in demand in a top league.

JwP, god knows. Lemina, Gabbi, Bertrand, Boufal, Clasie, Gardos, Hojberg, Romeu, Tadic and Forster (probably for wage reasons)

Will all likely go.

That is going to mean the purchase of around 5+ players good enough to challenge for promotion required to come in.

Trust les and co doing that?

Think Romeu / Hojbjerg / JWP might give us a season, however suitors will probably be in for JWP. (Possibly a move he can't refuse given the fact he's English?)

The rest of them no big loss. Would like to think a few of the youngsters that aren't quite good enough for the prem yet, can step in and are already good enough for that league (Sims, Reed, Gallagher, Targett, Hesketh)

Would be nice to get a dominant CB to come in though, along with a talisman striker and a winger with some pace (how long have we been saying we need these for - feels like every single window for the last 3 years!)

Do you think Forster would get a move?

No clue on that one; I know he was due a move last summer but his form meant the potential buyers went for their previous second choice. Now he's been error prone and out of the team for another season, I would doubt someone would be busting a gut to sign him.

No clue on that one; I know he was due a move last summer but his form meant the potential buyers went for their previous second choice. Now he's been error prone and out of the team for another season, I would doubt someone would be busting a gut to sign him.

Not to mention is new contract (on top of the 'old' new contract).

If we do end up going down, I'm going to miss the old emergency loan system.

I will miss the signings of decent players.............oh!, with that in mind I wont miss much at all.

If you had asked the same question a couple of seasons back there would have been a different answer, but since then we have been starved of decent football with little effort made to improve it which has left me feeling rather indifferent and deflated. If going down means that Reed and co eff off then all the better and we can rebuild again.

Hoedt and Yoshida would get rag dolled every week in the Champ.

Would like to see the home grown lads though. Targett has been exceptional at Fulham.

Some of thenstarting XIs posted on here are ridiculous.

If the likes of Valery and Hesketh start the first game next season then I will be extremely worried.

Those two sound a bit Jan Poortvliedt . Targett/McQueen possibly?/ Reed/JWP/ Sims, basically will need a bit of experience.

It won't just be a case of players wanting to leave the wage bill has to be slashed so big earners have to go.

That is ironically one of the benifits of relegation.

Its a given that Bertrand Romeu Lemina, Holberg Cedric Boufel, Gabbi, and Tadic will be sold. The club will have no choice. What a fire sale.

Probably £150 million pounds worth of talent there, how on earth are we nearly relegated shameful.

I suspect JWP will give it a season unless there is a big bid.

Forster may come good for us. A season at a lower standard will give him a chance ro recover, McCarthy has not convinced me but way better than Forster PL model.

I'd love to see Classie back, i've always rated him but guess he'll be sold.

If Fulham are promoted that's Taggart gone. A real shame but he'll deserve it.

Long is a loyal dog and would stay i suspect, but there will be bids from newly promoted teams.

So where does that leave us.

Hoedt's ego will want a move but he'll be made to stay.

I bet Yoshida goes as his contract is up soon. Stephens will fight for his place. New 'big' CH LB and RB required then.

Up front Austin Carillo (no buyers stuck with him) Gallagher and possibly Long will be good enough if supported.

Midfield will need strengthening.

Sims JWP Hesketh Reed Classie would be way too small. A couple of hard bitten pros with that lot could work.

Certainly a much better position than last time and some cash to spend.

Or they could pull their finger out and win a few games to survive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We've been interest in Fredericks for a couple of seasons, but I guess that all depends on what Fulham do.

I don't mind Burn at Wigan, he played well against us.

It's amazing to see someone like Leon Clarke in there, he is bog average - let's be honest. Reminds me of the year when Steve Kabba was ripping it up in this league.

Some top level players in that team though, like Willy Bolly, Neves, Sessengon, Maddison, Cairney. Hard to see us getting any of those.

We've been interest in Fredericks for a couple of seasons, but I guess that all depends on what Fulham do.

I don't mind Burn at Wigan, he played well against us.

It's amazing to see someone like Leon Clarke in there, he is bog average - let's be honest. Reminds me of the year when Steve Kabba was ripping it up in this league.

Some top level players in that team though, like Willy Bolly, Neves, Sessengon, Maddison, Cairney. Hard to see us getting any of those.

Byrne @ Right-back looked good against us. Dack/Reid/Powell have looked good whenever I've watched them.

• 2 weeks later...
If we need 2 old heads to go with our younger lot would try and get Deeney from Watford just a sub most weeks now and legs going ideal for the Championship.

James Collins at West Ham the same - a leader and puts his head in everywhere and battles.

Deeney would be tremendous.

Until you remember his £25m-30m asking price).

Are they going? He is only 29 years old, he isn't exactly past it... nor would he be cheap.

Its ok straight swap for 19m Carillo

PS

I am joking by the way ref Carillo....I know...getting Deeney may not be a goer as think one of the other lower half would be in for him but he is perfect for

that division. Look how well Mitrovic is doing.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Never thought Yoshida would jump ship :(

Big supporter of Yoshi but Hooiveld and Fonte did the business in the Championship, in part, because of their stature and strength.

Hope he doesn't go, especially to some Saudi outfit, but if we do go down maybe it'll be good money to reinvest (don't hold me to that).