Would you encourage a grand-child still to be a Saints fan

OldNick

What a load of b*llocks. You support your local team- end of.

Really? So having moved to Nottingham I should dump Saints and start supporting Forest or County? Which one? They are both local now? Besides, my dad took me The Dell when I was 5 (well over 50 years ago!!) because it was his team, but work had taken him to P****mouth so by your logic I should be a Skate, and anything that suggests anyone should be a Skate is "a load of b*llocks".

All clubs have highs and lows. If Saints are his/her local team then of course he/she should be encouraged to support them.

I agree else our Grand Children would not understand the value of loyalty and the need to understand that life is about adversity and how you deal with it. Morinho won the titles at Chelsea by playing boring football but the success became the key factor and I think that is damaging. It's easy to support Man City at the moment so why not do it.

Clearly if you move away from Southampton you continue to support saints, and want your kids to support the same team as you, in my experience often the biggest Saints fans i know don’t live in the city.

Back on topic anyone who wants to encourage their grandchildren to support a “big” club needs to take a long hard look at themselves, or do us all a favour and take their crying off spring down to St Mary’s a few hours before kick off and explain to the players how much damage they are doing, might inspire them :x

there is more to football than the premier league ffs.

we are in a bad state at the moment but football goes in cycles just like life,there will be good and bad times.

to answer the question though,why the **** not,if you are going to take them they will love it.

you have to get them interested when they are young and nothing beats the feeling of going to your first live game as a child or as a parent/grandparent.

have always lived in London since I was 17,took my son to Fulham(strachan) away as his first game as he wanted to be a Fulham fan,told him he can support Fulham but never see them or support saints and always see them,hes a saint for life and whether we win or loose he wouldn't nor would I change it for the world.

get them grandkids down to sms or even better away and show them the true heart of Southampton,not the ****e sky want everyone to support,just the top 6

Really?

I was born in Southampton but moved away when I was 7. Should I have changed teams then? Seeing as I moved to Taunton, who should I have supported?

I moved to Poole over 20 years ago & had 4 boys. When they got to 7 or 8 and started wanting to come to football with their dad, should I have said “**** off you plastic, go to Boscombe on your own and watch your local team”.

**** me, what are ultras like you going to make of my grandson, he was born in Poole to a dad who was born in Poole, his only connection to Southampton was his grandad lived there until 1971.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I will always encourage my grandkids to support the Saints !

Ups and downs are inevitable !

I detest 'glory hunters' - if you are only interested in supporting the winning team of the moment then you have no passion, only self aggrandisement which is rather pathetic IMHO !

Yes, we are in a bit of a hole right now but see no reason why that should change things !!

Agree with every word. It teaches them that you can't always win and, when you lose, you pick yourself up and have another go.

Nothing lasts forever and better times will come eventually and, when they do, you appreciate them more if you've been through the bad ones.

I believe the children are our future.

Of course and rightly said. But the negative, complacent, unambitious garbage that SFS has served up over the last two years is not the way forward.

Our Academy, or whatever replaces it, has to be the inspiration for our future as it was ten years ago.

This may mean it will take a few yeas, but it's the only way. And I truly hope our kids become part of it.

Of course and rightly said. But the negative, complacent, unambitious garbage that SFS has served up over the last two years is not the way forward.

Our Academy, or whatever replaces it, has to be the inspiration for our future as it was ten years ago.

This may mean it will take a few yeas, but it's the only way. And I truly hope our kids become part of it.

I agree. i was sort of taking the **** though. It's the first line of Whitney Huston's 'The Greatest Love of All'

Really?

I was born in Southampton but moved away when I was 7. Should I have changed teams then? Seeing as I moved to Taunton, who should I have supported?

I moved to Poole over 20 years ago & had 4 boys. When they got to 7 or 8 and started wanting to come to football with their dad, should I have said “**** off you plastic, go to Boscombe on your own and watch your local team”.

**** me, what are ultras like you going to make of my grandson, he was born in Poole to a dad who was born in Poole, his only connection to Southampton was his grandad lived there until 1971.

Really? So having moved to Nottingham I should dump Saints and start supporting Forest or County? Which one? They are both local now? Besides, my dad took me The Dell when I was 5 (well over 50 years ago!!) because it was his team, but work had taken him to P****mouth so by your logic I should be a Skate, and anything that suggests anyone should be a Skate is "a load of b*llocks".

:lol::lol:

Is it really that difficult to work out what I was getting at? The thread's opening post is about choosing to support one of the big clubs who win all the time because it's an easier ride and they win more often.

Let me rephrase for those short of inference skills:

'What a load of b*llocks. You support a team you have a genuine connection to, not one you just pick because they win all the time.'

I don't support Saints because of their form. I support them because of the city and my family.

Guess it's a bit like marriage not being about being 'in love' all the time but a deeper commitment.

Ups and downs are part of the deal. You wouldn't have raised the question in the late 70s. Nor in the days of Le Tissier. Nor four years ago under MP or Koeman.

Perhaps these moments make the good times that much more sweeter. Not an excuse, of course.

I think it has a lot to do with expectations. In the last five years Southampton fans have come to consider our team as a comfortable top 10 or higher club, and, while it's true that we do have the means to be nearer the top than we are now, we should have no sense of entitlement about it.

I shall continue doing my small part, paying for seats and buying club merchandise.

My only gripe is feeling a lot further away from the board and club leadership than I did in previous years. Perhaps though, that's the same for most other clubs around us.

Certainly the idea of Southampton being 'one big family' is no longer the case, at least for me.

:lol::lol:

Is it really that difficult to work out what I was getting at?

Let me rephrase for those short of inference skills:

'What a load of b*llocks. You support a team you have a genuine connection to, not one you just pick because they win all the time.'

Lol lol

What a load of balls, you’ve backtracked when you realised what a plank you were- end of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk