Straight back up?

Batman

Presumably a number of our first teamers, EG Lemina, Carillo, Hoedt also have big payments to former clubs outstanding on their transfers, which with their expensive and long contracts will mean we won't make much, if any cash out of those sales.

Christ this is depressing isn't it, I can't quite believe how spectacular our fall from grace has been.

I can, this has been coming the day Cortese left and that Kat decided she didn't need to replace him.

I've been waiting for our ridiculous transfer strategy to bite us on the backside.

I can, this has been coming the day Cortese left and that Kat decided she didn't need to replace him.

I've been waiting for our ridiculous transfer strategy to bite us on the backside.

It's certainly not a surprise...

Start next season something like...

----------------McCarthy-------------------

NEW---- Yoshida ---- Stephens---- Targett

------------NEW---------Davis-----------

Redmond--------NEW-----------Sims

-------------------NEW---------------------

Keep

Maya Yoshida

Jack Stephens

Shane Long

Steven Davis

Charlie Austin

Alex McCarthy

Nathan Redmond

Jérémy Pied

Will Wood

Alfie Jones

Jake Flannigan

Jan Bednarek

Sam McQueen

Josh Sims

Jake Hesketh

Yan Valery

Michael Obafemi

Matt Targett

Want to keep but likely to go

Wesley Hoedt

Oriol Romeu

James Ward-Prowse

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

See ya

Cédric Soares

Guido Carrillo

Dušan Tadić

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Manolo Gabbiadini

Ryan Bertrand

Stuart Taylor

Fraser Forster

Edited by Saint Garrett

It's certainly not a surprise...

Start next season something like...

----------------McCarthy-------------------

NEW---- Yoshida ---- Stephens---- Targett

------------NEW---------Davis-----------

Redmond--------NEW-----------Sims

-------------------NEW---------------------

Keep

Maya Yoshida

Jack Stephens

Shane Long

Steven Davis

Charlie Austin

Alex McCarthy

Nathan Redmond

Jérémy Pied

Will Wood

Alfie Jones

Jake Flannigan

Jan Bednarek

Sam McQueen

Josh Sims

Jake Hesketh

Yan Valery

Michael Obafemi

Matt Targett

Want to keep but likely to go

Wesley Hoedt

Oriol Romeu

James Ward-Prowse

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

See ya

Cédric Soares

Guido Carrillo

Dušan Tadić

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Manolo Gabbiadini

Ryan Bertrand

Stuart Taylor

Fraser Forster

Totally unrealistic. We'll be stuck with far more of these high earners than you imagine.

Still we might not go down eh. There are still some pretty bad teams in contention for the last drop place with us. I still don't see Palace staying up, nor Stoke and WBA are already gone. We need one decent result that we don't see coming, unfortunately it won't happen whilst the players still have cup ambitions.

Totally unrealistic. We'll be stuck with far more of these high earners than you imagine.

Still we might not go down eh. There are still some pretty bad teams in contention for the last drop place with us. I still don't see Palace staying up, nor Stoke and WBA are already gone. We need one decent result that we don't see coming, unfortunately it won't happen whilst the players still have cup ambitions.

Palace won't go down - too much quality and fixtures too favourable. Huddersfield are the only other one IMO. But we need to win probably 2 or 3 or the 7 and thats simply not going to happen.

Yeah but had Cortese stayed we'd be in dire, dire financial straits right now and probably having to sell off a lot of players to cover debts.

What we needed/need is a midway between our overly arrogant strategy now and the extreme over spending of the mad midget, and that's not an easy thing to find.

Yeah but had Cortese stayed we'd be in dire, dire financial straits right now and probably having to sell off a lot of players to cover debts.

Thats why the real watershed was Markus's death.

We have no idea if he was fully on board with the spending or not.

Those of you that claim Markus was just a speculator are talking out of your arses.

What we needed/need is a midway between our overly arrogant strategy now and the extreme over spending of the mad midget, and that's not an easy thing to find.

Oh without a doubt (my post wasn't a 'Wish we still had Cortese' one).. The main point was that we never actually replaced him.

Oh without a doubt (my post wasn't a 'Wish we still had Cortese' one).. The main point was that we never actually replaced him.

Even if he'd stayed (which was offered to him) his post wouldn't have existed. They specifically got rid of it because it/he held too much power and the ability to spend our money too freely. The entire post cortese restructure was about giving the board power for checks and balances and stopping any one person from controlling the club too much.

Even if he'd stayed (which was offered to him) his post wouldn't have existed. They specifically got rid of it because it/he held too much power and the ability to spend our money too freely. The entire post cortese restructure was about giving the board power for checks and balances and stopping any one person from controlling the club too much.

So much so (according to Ralph) no one really knows who is responsible

See ya

Cédric Soares

Guido Carrillo

Dušan Tadić

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Manolo Gabbiadini

Ryan Bertrand

Stuart Taylor

Fraser Forster

An extremely ambitious list. I fear you are dreaming mate. All but one of that list are commanding wages of over 70k a week and most have long contracts. Getting rid of that kind of player isn't easy and unless they have relegation clauses in their contracts (unlikely, I fear) we may be stuck paying most of them for at least another year.

I can see:

Lemina - 12m

Bertrand - 18m

Soares - 12m

all getting sold.

Hopefully we can get rid of Gabbiadini on a really cut fee but can't see us getting more than 8m for him.

As for Forster, Boufal, Carillo and maybe even Tadic. Moving them on is going to be very tough I reckon.

An extremely ambitious list. I fear you are dreaming mate. All but one of that list are commanding wages of over 70k a week and most have long contracts. Getting rid of that kind of player isn't easy and unless they have relegation clauses in their contracts (unlikely, I fear) we may be stuck paying most of them for at least another year.

I can see:

Lemina - 12m

Bertrand - 18m

Soares - 12m

all getting sold.

Hopefully we can get rid of Gabbiadini on a really cut fee but can't see us getting more than 8m for him.

As for Forster, Boufal, Carillo and maybe even Tadic. Moving them on is going to be very tough I reckon.

You are significantly undervaluing them in the current tranfer market. There is little incentive for Saints to sell Lemina at a loss or Bertrand for only £18m.

The one thing that you can credit Les and Ralph for is getting top dollar for players that they are selling. VVD being the obvious example. It's the recruitment of players and managers that has been the big problem.

The one thing that you can credit Les and Ralph for is getting top dollar for players that they are selling. VVD being the obvious example. It's the recruitment of players and managers that has been the big problem.

Reed & Krueger were running the show when van Dijk and Koeman joined.

You are significantly undervaluing them in the current tranfer market. There is little incentive for Saints to sell Lemina at a loss or Bertrand for only £18m.

We'll likely sell quite a few of these at a loss or "cut price" because their wages aren't sustainable. What we paid for them is completely irrelevant now, especially regarding Boufal. Don't think the market works when you have high earners and a huge cut in revenue, they'll be going if we can find someone to take them.

Plus - not sure who would pay £12m for Cedric, he's terrible.

You think we are going to hold out for top notch fees whilst their wages cripple the club?

What do you think we will get for Carrillo, if he is for sale in the summer?

You think we are going to hold out for top notch fees whilst their wages cripple the club?

What do you think we will get for Carrillo, if he is for sale in the summer?

Just got to get rid of early in the summer, and start getting ready for the new season as early as possible. I dont want half of them still here during pre season.

Anyone think we could?

Do many teams actually do so?

Newcastle, West Ham, Burnley in recent years off the top of my head

Those clubs held on to a good chunk of their players and had managers who were premier league level.

Just can’t see it myself as surely, there will be a high turn over of players, no idea if Hughes will stay and god knows regarding re-investment into the side?

One thing is for sure, our quirky European ‘process’ of doing things has failed and would need tried and tested players and manager.

Financially we will be powerful in the Championship and can mount a challenge. We need to clear out much of the squad and recognise that all three centre backs must go along with Redmond for football rather than financial reasons.

In theory we should be one of the strongest but it will depend on wether the owner wants to invest to try and get back up or just asset strip to pay of his loan.

If Gao has any sense he will look at what Newcastle did and try and do something similar. With the right manager and a bit of investment we should stand a decent chance - wether he will fancy throwing more money at it, god knows.

Asset stripping would not be feasible because of tax and on profits (corporation tax) and dividends etc. Unless he wants to loose 30% + of the money