Austin's post match interview

eddie

Did anyone watch it? https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-03-31/video-charlie-austin-post-west-ham-vs-saints-premier-league-1718

Utterly depressed by our position and form and no excuses.

Despite that I found Austin's post match OS interview surprisingly candid.

We've had far too many 'we've learnt our lesson and need to bounce back' type interviews from MP which just give the impression he was clueless and out of his depth.

Austin's anger and match analysis was refreshingly direct and I think he's exactly the kind of personality in the dressing room that we have been missing. Can't think of another player who would be that vocal and critical, not since the days of Fonte. He tore our first half performance and individual mistakes apart with clarity and is obviously very aware of our position and weaknesses.

I can only hope that he matches what he says with his form and gets a few goals.

Either way, I sincerely hope he doesn't leave if we go down to the championship because I cannot see anyone who could be remotely described as nearing a 'dressing room leader' type of figure.

Did anyone watch it? https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-03-31/video-charlie-austin-post-west-ham-vs-saints-premier-league-1718

We've had far too many 'we've learnt our lesson and need to bounce back' type interviews from MP which just give the impression he was clueless and out of his depth.

Austin's anger and match analysis was refreshingly direct and I think he's exactly the kind of personality in the dressing room that we have been missing. Can't think of another player who would be that vocal and critical, not since the days of Fonte. He tore our first half performance and individual mistakes apart with clarity and is obviously very aware of our position and weaknesses.

I can only hope that he matches what he says with his form and gets a few goals.

Either way, I sincerely hope he doesn't leave if we go down to the championship because I cannot see anyone who could be remotely described as nearing a 'dressing room leader' type of figure.

Hoj was just the same in his interview after the Newcastle defeat he then followed up with two pretty poor performances (goal at Wigan aside) to be honest I've had enough of players bollix interviews actions speak louder than words stop talking about it and just go out and perform.

Well, his strength of personality didn't stop QPR from getting relegated with a whimper.

We don't need players who say all the right things after the fact. We've got plenty of those. Perhaps our lethargic, unfit squad would've been better served doing less media training and more football training. Just a thought.

What we do need are eleven utterly committed bastards who aren't prepared to shruggingly accept relegation on their watch without one hell of a fight.

Sadly, I'm not sure we could even come up with more than two or three.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Well, his strength of personality didn't stop QPR from getting relegated with a whimper.

We don't need players who say all the right things after the fact. We've got plenty of those. Perhaps our lethargic, unfit squad would've been better served doing less media training and more football training. Just a thought.

What we do need are eleven utterly committed bastards who aren't prepared to shruggingly accept relegation on their watch without one hell of a fight.

He scored 20 goals for them ffs

It was another pointless club wheel out interview.

But equally I’m sure Austin is genuinely chuffed with his team mates for trying their hardest to make him a Championship player again while he is off injured. He can’t really have done much more this season, he is still the top scorer despite making 6 starts all season.

Austin shouldn’t be exempted from criticism for this sh!t shower of a season just because he has a decent goals-per-minute ratio.

He basically admitted that Pellegrino only gave him his chance when he changed his attitude towards training. And obviously because Pellegrino couldn’t get a tune out of Gabbi or Long. While you might say he has been unlucky with some of the injuries suffered, the guy clearly doesn’t keep himself in the kind of condition required for PL football.

Some fans will say he has ‘character’ because he’s a bit of a jack-the-lad, but where is the character in giving minimal effort in training, or in the gym, and still expecting a place in the first team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin shouldn’t be exempted from criticism for this sh!t shower of a season just because he has a decent goals-per-minute ratio.

He basically admitted that Pellegrino only gave him his chance when he changed his attitude towards training. And obviously because Pellegrino couldn’t get a tune out of Gabbi or Long. While you might say he has been unlucky with some of the injuries suffered, the guy clearly doesn’t keep himself in the kind of condition required for PL football.

Some fans will say he has ‘character’ because he’s a bit of a jack-the-lad, but where is the character in giving minimal effort in training, or in the gym, and still expecting a place in the first team?

Absolutely spot on

He wont score unless he's given a proper service.It's been our weakness ever since Fonte left.No one feeds the strikers.

Good points which aren't made often enough. Fans demanding we select a team of PASSIONATE BLOKES WHO GIVE THEIR ALL shouldn't be picking Austin, really. We'll pick him because he's still the best choice we've got.

Good points which aren't made often enough. Fans demanding we select a team of PASSIONATE BLOKES WHO GIVE THEIR ALL shouldn't be picking Austin, really. We'll pick him because he's still the best choice we've got.

On Saturday he was one of the only ones that put a shift in.

Well said sir, saved me typing. Never have I seen such a bunch of pampered, social media loving, complacent football man babies. They have less than no idea how much effort is being made by fans who follow them home and away.

So Pellegrino’s principles might have cost us our Premier League status.

When did Austin say he didn't play because he wasn't working hard? The only thing I've ever heard him say on this topic is that it took him a long time to finally get into the squad. I took that as it took him a while to convince MP that he should play ahead of the other strikers.

When did Austin say he didn't play because he wasn't working hard? The only thing I've ever heard him say on this topic is that it took him a long time to finally get into the squad. I took that as it took him a while to convince MP that he should play ahead of the other strikers.

He did an interview on the OS around November time where he admitted his attitude towards training had improved in recent weeks, which led to his recall to the first XI.

Pellegrino also remarked on a change of attitude towards training at that time, IIRC.

HIs "anger" probably stems from the fact that he knows he won't be able to get a move to another PL team unlike many of our other slackers. On his wages, with his atrocious fitness record, who would take him?

Keeping him the championship might not be a bad thing for us - he could score the goals that keep us from doing a Sunderland. Or he could score 5 in 5 and then miss the rest of the season