Clutching at straws but at least other results aren't too bad!

SaintJackoInHurworth

I know it is clutching at straws, but Huddersfield and Stoke both have tough run-ins like us and like us they are losing almost everything at the moment. Palace, too, seem to have begun to misfire a little again.

I can't see us getting many points between now and the end of the season, but if they continue to do as badly as they are, then it still gives us some hope we probably do not deserve to have!

I honestly think Huddersfield will not win another match. If we can get just 5 or 6 pts from our remaining matches we should pass them. Stoke seem to have given up, thank god.

Stoke battled well today. If anyone has given up its our fairies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep! here is a real clutch. We have a game in hand but we must get a grip on goals conceded, suddenly we cannot rely on goal difference to get us put of jail because of the poor results at Newcastle and WHU.

Fly in the ointment? Arsenal at the Emirates next week. They seem to be scoring for fun right now which is not good news for us. Can't see that as a 0-0 or 1-1.

Yep! here is a real clutch. We have a game in hand but we must get a grip on goals conceded, suddenly we cannot rely on goal difference to get us put of jail because of the poor results at Newcastle and WHU.

Fly in the ointment? Arsenal at the Emirates next week. They seem to be scoring for fun right now which is not good news for us. Can't see that as a 0-0 or 1-1.

Funnily enough I think their result today will help us, as the home fans have gone away happy, the Arsenal players can rest on their laurels again and play us between the 2 most important games they have this season. We have to turn up, but I fancy us to get at least a draw. That's jinxed us lol

Absolutely. We should be well adrift by now like West Bromwich but we have somehow managed to keep up with the other teams. Says a lot about how much they are all petrified of getting relegated.

I am just so hacked off that we've capitulated in the last two league games and ruined our goal difference. We were well ahead of the others, giving us effectively an extra point. Now we have lost that cushion.

If we can win 2, draw 1 and lose 4, I think we may just about scrape it. It won't feel like a Great Escape though, just a complete and utter blag.

I was just looking at Saturdays fixtures and thinking we need Brighton and Bournemouth to do us a favour against Hudds and Palace. If spurs could turn Stoke over for us too, we'll at least be no worse off after we lose at Arse.

Crystal Palace will be ok. Even when they lose they play with energy, commitment and a lot of spirit. Hammers have turned the corner and wont look back. It is Huddersfield and Stoke who are on a losing streak and look all at sea. Unfortunately neither look as bad as we do. We've had our chance by playing Stoke, Hammers and Newcastle and failing to score a single goal. We don't deserve anything. I never expected to say such a thing about my own team. Sad, very sad

Funny things happen in football.

Game in hand is crucial plus we play Swansea. That should be enough. Its still in our hands .

However we look a defeated team. Sparky has a job to do.

Get players in who are prepared to fighr. Davis yoshida mcqueen anyone prepared to fight to their last.

Be such a shame to let our PL place go now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I’ve watched plenty of football this weekend and without doubt if any team has a look of “given up” it’s us. Palace played well for most of their game with Liverpool, surprisingly there is a sign of some fight still in Stoke, it’s the pathetic bunch of ****s masquerading as a football team in the red and white of Southampton F.C. who are putting in zero effort and stealing a living. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked our players this much , would like to see the fans really turn on them and let them know what we think of their half hearted efforts. I think the rot has set in as we’ve had successive captains who’ve done nothing but try to manoeuvre moves away from the club.

We need Sparky to make some drastic changes to the team. We want players that are prepared to fight for the colours, the club.

Romeu with Lemina and one other in centre midfield holding roles. Bring Yoshida in and play Stephens at right back. Hoedt and Bertrand alongside.

Maybe Prowse on right midfield and McQueen in left midfield. Sims needs a run but who do we play as our striker. Austin is my choice but we are still struggling to make a half decent team.

McCarthy

Stephens, Yoshida, Hoedt, Bertrand.

Sims, Lemina, JWP, Romeu, McQueen.

Austin.

A tad lightweight but we don't have any real muscle and just have to hope they can fight hard enough to matter.

I’ve watched plenty of football this weekend and without doubt if any team has a look of “given up” it’s us. Palace played well for most of their game with Liverpool, surprisingly there is a sign of some fight still in Stoke, it’s the pathetic bunch of ****s masquerading as a football team in the red and white of Southampton F.C. who are putting in zero effort and stealing a living. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked our players this much , would like to see the fans really turn on them and let them know what we think of their half hearted efforts. I think the rot has set in as we’ve had successive captains who’ve done nothing but try to manoeuvre moves away from the club.

Yes but Davies and yoshi have been genuine captains but have lost their place Bring them back and JWP, they will give the team some spirit and they are not seeking moves (as far as we know)

You're right mate, but there will still be people clapping them off after another abject performance as there were yesterday.

West Ham's protest worked in one sense because it fired up their players enough to give us a spanking. Despite a few lads, our support these days is largely too well mannered and I could never see anything like the scenes they had against Burnley happening at St Mary's. Most of our players would probably just laugh if off anyway.

Palace are fine, no way they will go down. I think we're gone, just can't see us picking up more than about 4 points before the end of the season.

So, just thinking about this some more, we could maybe get six more points this season and survive. It might look something like this:

[table]

[tr]

[td]Saints

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Huddersfield

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Stoke City

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]C. Palace

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Swansea

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[/b][/tr]

[tr]

[td]Arsenal(a)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Brighton(a)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Spurs(h)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Bournemouth(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]West Brom(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Chelsea(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Watford(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]West Ham(a)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Brighton(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Everton(h)[/td]

[td]2-1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Leicester(a)[/td]

[td]0-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Everton(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Burnley(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Watford(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Man City(a)[/td]

[td]0-3[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Bournemouth(h)[/td]

[td]2-0[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Man City(a)[/td]

[td]0-3[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Liverpool(a)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Leicester(h)[/td]

[td]1-0[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Chelsea(h)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Everton(a)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Arsenal(h)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]C.Palace(h)[/td]

[td]2-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Stoke(a)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Bournemouth(a)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Man City(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Chelsea(a)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Swansea(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]West Brom(h)[/td]

[td]2-0[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Stoke(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Swansea(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Saints(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Final Points[/td]

[td]34[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]33[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]32[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]39[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]37[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The problem of course is that getting a point against Chelsea and City is highly unlikely even allowing for the likely situation that City will have nothing to play for by the time we face them, although in actual fact goal difference in this situation means that we could get the same number of points as Huddersfield and still finish above them.

But, I guess I am still just clutching at straws with all of this! :(

So, just thinking about this some more, we could maybe get six more points this season and survive. It might look something like this:

[table]

[tr]

[td]Saints

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Huddersfield

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Stoke City

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]C. Palace

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Swansea

Vs[/td]

[td]

Result[/td]

[/b][/tr]

[tr]

[td]Arsenal(a)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Brighton(a)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Spurs(h)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Bournemouth(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]West Brom(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Chelsea(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Watford(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]West Ham(a)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Brighton(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Everton(h)[/td]

[td]2-1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Leicester(a)[/td]

[td]0-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Everton(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Burnley(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Watford(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Man City(a)[/td]

[td]0-3[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Bournemouth(h)[/td]

[td]2-0[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Man City(a)[/td]

[td]0-3[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Liverpool(a)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Leicester(h)[/td]

[td]1-0[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Chelsea(h)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Everton(a)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Arsenal(h)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]C.Palace(h)[/td]

[td]2-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Stoke(a)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Bournemouth(a)[/td]

[td]1-2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Man City(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Chelsea(a)[/td]

[td]0-2[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Swansea(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]West Brom(h)[/td]

[td]2-0[/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Stoke(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Swansea(a)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]Saints(h)[/td]

[td]1-1[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Final Points[/td]

[td]34[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]33[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]32[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]39[/td]

[td][/td]

[td][/td]

[td]37[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The problem of course is that getting a point against Chelsea and City is highly unlikely even allowing for the likely situation that City will have nothing to play for by the time we face them, although in actual fact goal difference in this situation means that we could get the same number of points as Huddersfield and still finish above them.

But, I guess I am still just clutching at straws with all of this! :(

Based on our current form or even season form I cannot see us getting a result in any of those games. As the Five Live commentators stated "Saints are abject".

Unless Mark Hughes has a hotline to God I think we are sunk.

I still think Huddersfield will drop (I can't see them wining another game, possibly pick up a couple of draws at best), it will just be out of us or Stoke that go with them... Given our fixtures and performances all season, I think it'll be us.

I still think Huddersfield will drop (I can't see them wining another game, possibly pick up a couple of draws at best), it will just be out of us or Stoke that go with them... Given our fixtures and performances all season, I think it'll be us.

I fancy Huddersfield to beat both Watford and Everton at home , definitely a kinder run in than what we have.

We are down.

Laid out like that we look truly ****ed. I know it’s just psychology but I can’t even see us scoring let alone winning a game. No doubt there’ll be some shock results in there too, just have to hope it’s us getting the shock win(s).

We now have to pick up points in two very difficult games - Arsenal and Chelsea or we could be 6 points adrift. And that means (as a certain member has pointed out once or twice) that we need to do something we haven't in 700 days - beat a top 6 side. I think we will need 35 points as an absolute minimum - no way will Udders only pick up 2 points in their next 6 - they will beat either/both Everton/Watford who have nothing to play for (I reckon 4 points from that haul). Come season end we will look back on our two draws with Udders as all defining. Also everyone has us down as beating Bompey - I'm really not convinced we have the mental strength to do that - they will play with absolute freedom and will relish the chance to send us down. Funnily enough I think if we get to a place where we need to beat City we will as we would have some momentum (I admit that there is also a history repeating situation where we go down at home to Manchester based champions with nothing to pay for again) - I just don't think we will get in that position.

Spot on. I feel pure hatred for this squad at the moment.

I'm not even sure winning the FA cup would change that, as if anything it would prove they are deliberately playing ****e in the league as it's the quickest route out of Saints.

Spineless bunch of *****s.

Arsenal have a match against CSKA on the 5th, and then again on the 12th. Out match on the 8th is stuck directly in between. We may be hitting Arsenal at the right time. They could be more focused on Europe than the PL, and may rest a bunch of players.

Arsenal have a match against CSKA on the 5th, and then again on the 12th. Out match on the 8th is stuck directly in between. We may be hitting Arsenal at the right time. They could be more focused on Europe than the PL, and may rest a bunch of players.

Arsenal wont need to be focused to beat us.