Hughes to only play those he can rely on - Any idea's on who?

striker

Interesting comments by Hughes on some players being much better in practice, and the fact that moving forward he needs to focus on the guys he will be able to rely on in matches. At every level of sport you do see this, guys who look great in practice but crack in games. Any ideas on who? I've got to believe Lemina and Hoedt are two. Plus the fact that he yanked Gabbi at the half for Long I think puts him on the list too.

http://readsouthampton.com/2018/04/01/hughes-to-look-towards-players-he-can-rely-on/

Think he will go for JWP at right back. Certainly is better than Cedric - better crossing, works harder, good set pieces. Cedric has been useless.

Shame we let Targett go on loan he's doing superb at Fulham, we could have done with him replacing Bertrand who has been awful of late.

Sims instead of Tadic and Boufal instead of Redmond - Nathan blew his chance against West Ham, bottled it on and off the ball.

Lastly Romeu instead of Holjberg/Lemina and Long instead of Gabbi.

I'd rather we went down fighting for players with some fight rather than those who don't seem to care.

Tadic and Redmond must be absolute dynamite in training to play as much as they have. Boufal is probably pretty handy in training as well but far too light weight when it comes to matchday. None of them are the sorts you want for a battle. We must get Yoshida, romeu, jwp, Sims and long in for the fight now.

McCarthy

Cedric(there is no one else) Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

Jwp Romeu Hojbjerg Sims

Long

Austin

Also gives us the flexibility to move between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 with jwp tucking in and long shifting right if need be.

Tadic and Redmond must be absolute dynamite in training to play as much as they have. Boufal is probably pretty handy in training as well but far too light weight when it comes to matchday. None of them are the sorts you want for a battle. We must get Yoshida, romeu, jwp, Sims and long in for the fight now.

McCarthy

Jwp Romeu Hojbjerg Sims

Long

Austin

Also gives us the flexibility to move between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 with jwp tucking in and long shifting right if need be.

I’d go with that

McCarthy

Anyone but Cedric Stephens Yoshida McQueen

Romeu Davis

Long JWP Anyone but Redmond

Austin

After Saturdays abject, ****poor, gutless, leaderless 'display', we need some balls in the side. Having watched Saints since 1956, this could be the most talent less bunch of wimps I've seen.

Surprised how many people think Bertrand is reliable. He’s supposed to be our captain but looks like he couldn’t care less. First thing I’d be doing would be having a look if we have anyone who can actually be a leader for the last few games. Slim pickings really but got to be someone with a bit more fight.

Surprised how many people think Bertrand is reliable. He’s supposed to be our captain but looks like he couldn’t care less. First thing I’d be doing would be having a look if we have anyone who can actually be a leader for the last few games. Slim pickings really but got to be someone with a bit more fight.

That's why we need Yohsida back.

McCarthy

Jwp Romeu Hojbjerg Sims

Long

Austin

This, and I think Hughes will go for something like it.

Stephens should be nowhere near the starting 11, it's criminal negligence that we've ended up with him as first choice CB. To think he is on 48k a week.

I crucified Yoshida on here previously but jeez, all is forgiven Maya.

A big problem for me is the spine of our team. Completely lacking in experience. You're meant to build your team around its spine and look at ours, only Romeu has played more than 100 games in a top flight league, he's the only one who has had more than one full season as a first choice player. The others have all been squad players or in the case of Stephen not even that.

McCarthy - 20 first team premier league games before this season

Stephens - no where near our first team squad until last January's bungled transfer window

Hoedt - squad player for Lazio before joining saints 74 first team appearances in 4 years as Lazio and AZ. Less than 20 a season

Lemina - before joining saints 84 appearances over 5 years and 3 clubs, in and out of our team too

Hojbjerg - in and out of our side since he joined, 56 first team games in 3 years before joining, 39 of these whilst out on loan.

Romeu - 63 first team appearances before joining 40 whilst on loan, a further 86 whilst at saints so the only one to have made more than 100 top flight career appearances and had a season or more as a regular starter.

Its absolute insanity that we have a spine of a team that inexperienced. We've basically got a spine of our team which is only just getting used to playing regularly let alone being the basis of a team expected to compete in the too half of the premier league. You'd expect one or two, Hoedt to play alongside a seasoned centre half for example but to have two inexperienced players alongside each other there is just mental.

Romeu like may others under Pellegrino has gone backwards this season and not looked a patch on the player he has been over the last two seasons., although still a better option than the pairing of Lemina (two **** ups, giving away possession and goals in consecutive league games) and Hojberg.

But what is the position re Romeu and his bookings? Several people have suggested he might be being held back pending an amnesty after 9 bookings. Be interested if anyone can expand on that, what are the implications of another (10th) booking in the next match, when this amnesty ends, and the effect of another booking after that time.

This is time for in the trenches players - so that immediately means Redmond, Tadic , Gabbiadini, Boufal and Hoet are out - all mentally weak. After that you need to stop the goals against given we are clearly not suddenly going to be free scoring - so 2 defensive midfielders as a minimum. No point playing 2 up front for no other reason than we don’t have two decent cfs. Set pieces will be our best route to goals so work on that so they at least don’t mean we concede at the other end. That gives you something like

McCarthy

Cedric Yoshida Stephens Bertrand

Rom Davis

JWP Lemina McQueen

Austin

No they won’t stay up (Stephens, Cedric and McQueen not good enough, Davis and Austin too knackered) but at least they’ll put up a fight. Sims off the bench at 65 for a bit of pace.

Interesting comments by Hughes on some players being much better in practice, and the fact that moving forward he needs to focus on the guys he will be able to rely on in matches. At every level of sport you do see this, guys who look great in practice but crack in games. Any ideas on who? I've got to believe Lemina and Hoedt are two. Plus the fact that he yanked Gabbi at the half for Long I think puts him on the list too.

http://readsouthampton.com/2018/04/01/hughes-to-look-towards-players-he-can-rely-on/

It's the plural: 'ideas', not the possessive. Yes, you got it right later which means you didn't proof read it. It's 'cack' , not 'crack'.

FFS.

Anyway, to answer your question I would agree with you about Hoedt; I think he thinks he's better than he is and is an average PL player at best. I'm not sure about Lemina. He is, I think, decent. I agree about Long. I think we'll get rid of the likes of Tadic, Redmond, etc. All of those who can't 'fight'. I can see PEH being taken out and Romeu put back in but I think we probably do need a midfield of PEH, OR, and Lemina because we have too many lightweights otherwise.

He might well replace Cedric with Pied (who could do a job for us next season) and I think if he could he get rid of Stephens too cause he's recognised his ability to mark space rather than players. Actually, come to think of it he should try to keep the core solid: McCarthy, Yoshida, Romeu, Austin and start playing the youth while getting ready for next season.

Couldn't care less now to be honest. To much money in football Sky has killed the game. Would rather we grow some balls sacked this incompetent board, Clear out the dross / egos / players stealing a living... If we go down so be it it's time to reboot properly with some strong characters and leadership.

Start bedding in the youth, recruit a manager that is young enthusiastic and passionate clear out all the posion at this club.

Couldn't care less now to be honest. Too much money in football Sky has killed the game. Would rather we grow some balls sacked this incompetent board, Clear out the dross / egos / players stealing a living... If we go down so be it it's time to reboot properly with some strong characters and leadership.

Start bedding in the youth, recruit a manager that is young enthusiastic and passionate clear out all the position at this club.

Spot on. The money failed, has-been managers like Hughes and Pardew get for getting clubs relegated is ridiculous.

Premier league football is like watching paint dry watching these over paid tarts whinging... I lost interest 2 years ago now it's just meh.... call me a negative Nancy I don't care if actually take relegation for the chance to reboot properly and rebuild with our youth principles... I'd rather watch the youth than this crap currently being served up....

Stephens should be nowhere near the starting 11, it's criminal negligence that we've ended up with him as first choice CB. To think he is on 48k a week.

I crucified Yoshida on here previously but jeez, all is forgiven Maya.

Agree and Hoedt isnt much better. Stephens as a RB may be better because as a 6'3 CB he cant head a ball for toffee

Couldn't care less now to be honest. To much money in football Sky has killed the game. Would rather we grow some balls sacked this incompetent board, Clear out the dross / egos / players stealing a living... If we go down so be it it's time to reboot properly with some strong characters and leadership.

Start bedding in the youth, recruit a manager that is young enthusiastic and passionate clear out all the posion at this club.

Exactly this.

Premier league football is like watching paint dry watching these over paid tarts whinging... I lost interest 2 years ago now it's just meh.... call me a negative Nancy I don't care if actually take relegation for the chance to reboot properly and rebuild with our youth principles... I'd rather watch the youth than this crap currently being served up....

Premier football is alright if your preferred team can afford 20 or so of the very best players and you can give all of the others a drubbing. If you're down in the also rans fielding Hojbjergs and Stephens then it's not so much fun. Until the PL implements a real spending and salary cap then the PL will just be a series of warm up games for the ECL.

Edited by Window Cleaner

That's why we need Yohsida back.

Exactly. Yoshida back in as captain. Can't understand why he has been omitted. Our best CB and certainly puts in the effort, leading by example.

I'd bring back romeu, yoshida, Davis, sims, jwp, McQueen and pied.

McCarthy

Pied Stephens Yoshida McQueen

Sims Romeu Davis JWP

Gabbiadini Austin

Yes, something like this. I would prefer Long instead of Gabbi from the sheer principle of effort, but would fear we are too leaden-footed up front.

Not sure about Davis and JWP too.

Difficult choice. I honestly don’t know which one has performed worse lately.

Pied for Cedric might also be worth considering.

Pied for Cedric should be a certainty. The only time i’ve seen him play was at home to Palace where he kept Zaha silent all night despite being obviously ****ged after about 20 minutes because he hadn’t played for so long. He also put in the ball that created Shane Long’s only goal this season. Cedric is ****ing dreadful, can’t head, can’t cross, does nothing and other teams target him for their crosses.