London higher murder rate than NY

Batman

Copied from Facebook, in response to a report in The Metro where Amber Rudd tries to claim that it could be the fault of social media...

That is the case though. It has played a huge part but in gangs taunting and boasting - not the cause but just allows it to escalates much quicker.

These aren’t simple issues that the police can just arrest

their way out of although obviously less presence is very worrying but hey people don’t want to pay taxes. The whole scaling back of public services (mental health services, youth clubs etc.) will lead to the same US culture of deprivation and an underclass that has no buy in to society as no traditional aspirations. Depressing although not hopeless if tide could turn against the greedy fckers who swallow up that all public services are bureaucratic waste pits peddled by most of the newspapers.

I'd like to think that even the most rabid of the right wingers would recorgnise the correlation between the continuing fall in police numbers and rising crime and the blame for that should be laid at the steps of Number 10.

I'd also think it foolish of us not to recorgnise that the current wave of crimes in London is linked to drug gang turf wars and is predominantly black on black violence. If Stop & Search would have an impact I really don't know as the way the drug gangs now operate using social media/mopeds etc, has changed the street dynamic. It's as if it's become a torrent of score settling and a fight for territory knowing the police are stretched to the limit.

We recently had a police briefing on how the gangs are operating where I work and how they effectively groom young kids to be mules and how the city has been divided up by the gangs, mostly white it has to be said. It's quite startling to know it's going on around you but you're so detached from it to see it happening.

I've always maintained that the war on drugs is unwinnable. If we legalise everything (for over 18s) we can at least control the source and quality of the drugs. We could also use the tax generated to fund a considerable number of Police, PCSO and rehab programmes for the worst affected.

I've seen similar arguments shouted down before, normally by some hysterical mother who doesn't want her child taking drugs and is naive enough to think the law (barely enforced my a skeleton Police force) is enough to stop them.

I've always maintained that the war on drugs is unwinnable. If we legalise everything (for over 18s) we can at least control the source and quality of the drugs. We could also use the tax generated to fund a considerable number of Police, PCSO and rehab programmes for the worst affected.

I've seen similar arguments shouted down before, normally by some hysterical mother who doesn't want her child taking drugs and is naive enough to think the law (barely enforced my a skeleton Police force) is enough to stop them.

You're preaching to the converted here. I've always said drugs should be legalised and taxed.

Drugs are just the means for them to exert their dominance through violence. Far from simple and if they don’t have black market means to gain power/money/influence which will always be there, then it will come out elsewhere.

I've always maintained that the war on drugs is unwinnable.

What war on drugs? We haven’t had one.

The past 50 years drug enforcement has been heading one way, towards liberalisation. Calling for the legalisation of certain drugs is a legitimate argument to have, but it shouldn’t based on the pretence that we’ve fought a war against them, or that our drug laws are draconian. They haven’t been that since Marriane Faithful was using mars bars as dildos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
What war on drugs? We haven’t had one.

The past 50 years drug enforcement has been heading one way, towards liberalisation. Calling for the legalisation of certain drugs is a legitimate argument to have, but it shouldn’t based on the pretence that we’ve fought a war against them, or that our drug laws are draconian. They haven’t been that since Marriane Faithful was using mars bars as dildos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Radio rental.

Another 18 year old stabbed to death in London yesterday. Depending on what you read that is 60 deaths this year in London alone.

Still, not to worry. None of the killers were apparently wearing headscarves.

Tragic isn’t it. I don’t live in London but would have zero confidence in the MET in sorting this out. Look at the state of them over this burglar shrine in south London. Gripped with trying to be all nice to everyone and it will end in more tears.

Gripped by political correctness which is a disservice to London

Tragic isn’t it. I don’t live in London but would have zero confidence in the MET in sorting this out. Look at the state of them over this burglar shrine in south London. Gripped with trying to be all nice to everyone and it will end in more tears.

Gripped by political correctness which is a disservice to London

It is tragic Batman. And it just seems to be getting worse. How do you sort it out? More stop and search? That just seems to make the situation more tense. and while it might deal with the gangs issue to some extent, it doesnt deal with domestic violence. As for political correctness, the Met are right in saying it is not a crime to place flowers as a mark of respect. They do seem to have taken a stand now though and are saying enough is enough. I dont think it is helpful if they let the funeral cortege pass the pensioners house though. It just seem like an act of defiance and looks to be provocative. The poor old boy who did this will have to live with it for the rest of his life and doesnt need it rubbed in his face like this.

Legalise drugs, tax and control quality and quantity. Stop the dumb appeasement of rural Tory voters that read the Mail and hate the ideal of young Timmy or Olivia getting access to a joint or line (which no doubt they are bang onto the minute they arrive at St Andrews Uni via a network that at some point included/ impacted the gangs stabbing each other up). Improve access/ funding to education/ youth facilities in the areas effected, hire more police and make sure they can engage with the communities effected.

It isn't rocket science. Personally I spend a bit of time in the States and am genuinely worried we are heading their way of stripping all social funding lines to the absolute bone. If you have some spare time and can watch some genuinely outstanding Netflix documentories on cause/ effect of these policies check out 13th (judicial system/ institutional racism) and Flint (Police service trying to cope with large scale violent crime).

This isn't a race issue, it's a society one. That said some communities have less to lose than others (Somali's for example), however rather than just say "no more Somali's" how about we look at how we can change their outlook and give them better opportunities of employment/ self improvement.

So, when drugs are legalised and a new form of contraband is used to make money, then what?

Like what? Seriously, what other form of contraband will cause the level of death, violence and destruction the illegal trade of weed, cocaine and opiates have done? Moody Adidas trainers?

Sure, there will always be something out there to deal in that'll never be legalised like synthetics such as Spice. However we can fix 80% easily. However, mail readers in the Home Counties that have never experienced it will hate the idea and it'll be seen as being "soft on crime" or whatever so will never happen. Just offering an idea that (IMO) would eradicate most of the **** they are stabbing each other over pretty much overnight.

• 10 months later...

The Jodie Chesney case is so desperately sad and makes me despair. Sounds like could be anyone’s daughter and not gangs killing. each other. Crying out ‘help me’ as she died. Don’t think parents could recover from such heartbreak.

What sort of cnt wants to stab someone unprovoked?

Troy Deeney made an interesting point on the radio this morning. Social media isn't helping because fights end up being recording so if you've lost a punch up your humiliation gets put up online and then it's very hard to get over the shame when you are young and immature.

Troy Deeney made an interesting point on the radio this morning. Social media isn't helping because fights end up being recording so if you've lost a punch up your humiliation gets put up online and then it's very hard to get over the shame when you are young and immature.

We will probably agree Jonny but shocking the cuts to youth services etc. Tories are culpable for some of this sh1t

May misses the point once again. The lack of a proper decent police presence in the community means that there are those out there who think they can do things like this and get away scot free. The cuts to the Criminal Justice System thanks to the years of austerity have brought us to this. If it were just down to drugs and gangs that would be one thing, but it is not. We need a stronger, more robust CJS and these scumbags need to know that they will be caught and put away for a very long time.

May misses the point once again. The lack of a proper decent police presence in the community means that there are those out there who think they can do things like this and get away scot free. The cuts to the Criminal Justice System thanks to the years of austerity have brought us to this. If it were just down to drugs and gangs that would be one thing, but it is not. We need a stronger, more robust CJS and these scumbags need to know that they will be caught and put away for a very long time.

More police are not going to stop kids stabbing other kids. This an issue that runs much deeper than that.

More police are not going to stop kids stabbing other kids. This an issue that runs much deeper than that.

It runs deeper but of course more police would help. It's not just about catching kids with knives, it's also about community policing to help prevent kids from getting involved in gangs and having more of a presence to make people less likely to want to carry a knife as a form of self defence.

When Tories say "More police wouldn't help" they mean they don't want to pay tax for something that only mainly effects poor, brown people.

It will if they realise that they will be quickly caught, brought to justice and spend a long time behind bars. When I was younger you saw plenty of police out and about. Now you rarely see any. More police on the beat. More stop and search. Longer sentences for carrying knives and knife crime. Increasing the chances of being caught and increasing sentencing will do a lot more than employing a "Knife Tzar."

why have police at all? seems doesn't matter how many there are as never a consequence of reducing numbers. Oh hang on they brag about putting more police on now.

think we are idiots. bit like council tax. cut the fck out of all the services, blame the councils and then boast about how you are supplementing social care by putting a small about back in. give me a tenner, here's £2. Arent you lucky and aren't I generous?

It will if they realise that they will be quickly caught, brought to justice and spend a long time behind bars. When I was younger you saw plenty of police out and about. Now you rarely see any. More police on the beat. More stop and search. Longer sentences for carrying knives and knife crime. Increasing the chances of being caught and increasing sentencing will do a lot more than employing a "Knife Tzar."

No one seems to be advocating that though. We just get buzz words like education and youth centres.

How about start throwing the book at any one caught carrying.

It runs deeper but of course more police would help. It's not just about catching kids with knives, it's also about community policing to help prevent kids from getting involved in gangs and having more of a presence to make people less likely to want to carry a knife as a form of self defence.

When Tories say "More police wouldn't help" they mean they don't want to pay tax for something that only mainly effects poor, brown people.

Unless there were police officers in the actual areas where those tragic events happened with the 2 X 17 year olds, how would more police have prevented those incidents? How would more police reverse a hideous culture of kids doing these things for kicks and/or the badge of honour that they see them as? Please don't turn my comment into a political and/or race thing, my expressed opinion purely relates to police and an underbelly culture.

Unless there were police officers in the actual areas where those tragic events happened with the 2 X 17 year olds, how would more police have prevented those incidents? How would more police reverse a hideous culture of kids doing these things for kicks and/or the badge of honour that they see them as? Please don't turn my comment into a political and/or race thing, my expressed opinion purely relates to police and an underbelly culture.
There was an interesting bloke on the radio the other day talking about how social media has made this all much worse. It used to be that you got in a few fights and you could go home and no one would know. Now with social media, if you are humiliated then everyone knows about it and these youths feel they have to guard against this sort of humiliation. It takes a lot of willpower for them not to carry a knife in these circumstances. I can't say I totally understand it but I can see if you are brought up in that atmosphere why you might want to take a knife out. Not sure that it can be stopped though but tougher and greater numbers of police would definitely help.

There was an interesting bloke on the radio the other day talking about how social media has made this all much worse. It used to be that you got in a few fights and you could go home and no one would know. Now with social media, if you are humiliated then everyone knows about it and these youths feel they have to guard against this sort of humiliation. It takes a lot of willpower for them not to carry a knife in these circumstances. I can't say I totally understand it but I can see if you are brought up in that atmosphere why you might want to take a knife out. Not sure that it can be stopped though but tougher and greater numbers of police would definitely help.

Mongboarding is a serious business.

My best mates son, who is 15 and a lovely lad, genuinely, not one of those kids who is a little sh|t but everyone says he’s a nice kid was in a situation recently. He’s from a good family, never been in trouble at all but He had somehow upset one of the school gangster type kids, who had apparently been wanting to Settle their differences telling everyone he was going to get it. Now in my day this would have been a fight outside the school gates which would have been broken up by teachers and the end of it. These days it isn’t like that, he is a big strong lad, can look after himself but he knew that this kid was a nasty little f8cker who has been known to carry a knife. so for his own protection, unbeknown to his parent, he took one to school too. Fortunately for everyone the “beef” never came to anything but it could have been very different, he gets attacked, gets stabbed or pulls out his own knife and stabs the other kid, another serious injury or god forbid death, he gets stabbed or a life sentence all due to one kid wanting to be a bad man or the other wanting to protect himself. I’m not condoning him carrying a knife to school but you can see why he did it, but that is how easy it is for kids to get into trouble. It’s all very easy for people to sit in their ivory towers saying how terrible it is but unless you’re there you’ve got no idea. Naturally his parents where devastated that he’d done that and what might have been but even more devastated that he felt he had too. To their knowledge he’s not done it since and swears blind he wouldn’t again. I don’t know what the answer is but no amount of police on the streets is going to stop that sort of behaviour and the way the whole gang culture and the gloryifying of it on social media is becoming in inner cities it’s only going to get worse.

People are missing the point about police cuts. General cuts have eroded youth services and many other well meaning initiatives. Some of the benefits aren’t tangible but help inspire some. Situation is desperate and to me we seem to be following America’s very worrying model. Less tax, everyone greedy to keep their cash and not see it spent on wasteful investment in yobbos but without investment we are helping build a sub culture of disillusionment and hopelessness. The way out is the macho gang culture and the riches they see that come from being a gangster,

Might seem dramatic but it was what made us different from the Baltimore corner boys etc as you wouldn’t get away with it here,

Police cuts clearly make likelihood of being apprehended more likely.

People saying throwing the book at them is so uninformed. Might make them feel better but clearly doesn’t have the desired effect,

Worth listening to John MacAvoy - reformed criminal, Types like him speaking the kids and other initiatives is the most powerful counteraction.

You're an odd one that's for sure.

People are missing the point about police cuts. General cuts have eroded youth services and many other well meaning initiatives. Some of the benefits aren’t tangible but help inspire some. Situation is desperate and to me we seem to be following America’s very worrying model. Less tax, everyone greedy to keep their cash and not see it spent on wasteful investment in yobbos but without investment we are helping build a sub culture of disillusionment and hopelessness. The way out is the macho gang culture and the riches they see that come from being a gangster,

Might seem dramatic but it was what made us different from the Baltimore corner boys etc as you wouldn’t get away with it here,

Police cuts clearly make likelihood of being apprehended more likely.

People saying throwing the book at them is so uninformed. Might make them feel better but clearly doesn’t have the desired effect,

Worth listening to John MacAvoy - reformed criminal, Types like him speaking the kids and other initiatives is the most powerful counteraction.

Have a look at aces and Scotland looking to become the first ACE aware nation. Its really interesting stuff.

My best mates son, who is 15 and a lovely lad, genuinely, not one of those kids who is a little sh|t but everyone says he’s a nice kid was in a situation recently. He’s from a good family, never been in trouble at all but He had somehow upset one of the school gangster type kids, who had apparently been wanting to Settle their differences telling everyone he was going to get it. Now in my day this would have been a fight outside the school gates which would have been broken up by teachers and the end of it. These days it isn’t like that, he is a big strong lad, can look after himself but he knew that this kid was a nasty little f8cker who has been known to carry a knife. so for his own protection, unbeknown to his parent, he took one to school too. Fortunately for everyone the “beef” never came to anything but it could have been very different, he gets attacked, gets stabbed or pulls out his own knife and stabs the other kid, another serious injury or god forbid death, he gets stabbed or a life sentence all due to one kid wanting to be a bad man or the other wanting to protect himself. I’m not condoning him carrying a knife to school but you can see why he did it, but that is how easy it is for kids to get into trouble. It’s all very easy for people to sit in their ivory towers saying how terrible it is but unless you’re there you’ve got no idea. Naturally his parents where devastated that he’d done that and what might have been but even more devastated that he felt he had too. To their knowledge he’s not done it since and swears blind he wouldn’t again. I don’t know what the answer is but no amount of police on the streets is going to stop that sort of behaviour and the way the whole gang culture and the gloryifying of it on social media is becoming in inner cities it’s only going to get worse.

Every case is obviously different but part of community policing (which has been decimated buy Tory cuts) involves the police getting to know youngsters and gaining their trust. Maybe the police could have dealt with nastly little f8cker and stopped him carrying knives long before his beef with your mates son.

There’s a lot more to it than just catching people in the act.

Every case is obviously different but part of community policing (which has been decimated buy Tory cuts) involves the police getting to know youngsters and gaining their trust. Maybe the police could have dealt with nastly little f8cker and stopped him carrying knives long before his beef with your mates son.

There’s a lot more to it than just catching people in the act.

There is more than just catching kids in the act, but do you really believe that greater police numbers can help make a difference to what we're seeing on the streets? Turkish highlights one particular case where a culture that has become part of youth culture could have ended tragically. No amount of education and befriending will address that culture imo. Hypo and Turkish mentioned above something about kids no longer scrapping and moving on as previous generations did. I think it was Troy Deeney who spoke about kids fearing losing, it being filmed, posted on social media and getting a roasting. Thus they don't scrap. They feel the need to show they're a tough guy by cutting someone. This is a social change which for me will not be addressed by police numbers. Sure, some incidents may be avoided by greater police presence, but the cases this year alone, both the frequency and nature of them, show that we've got a huge problem that policing will not address.

There is more than just catching kids in the act, but do you really believe that greater police numbers can help make a difference to what we're seeing on the streets? Turkish highlights one particular case where a culture that has become part of youth culture could have ended tragically. No amount of education and befriending will address that culture imo. Hypo and Turkish mentioned above something about kids no longer scrapping and moving on as previous generations did. I think it was Troy Deeney who spoke about kids fearing losing, it being filmed, posted on social media and getting a roasting. Thus they don't scrap. They feel the need to show they're a tough guy by cutting someone. This is a social change which for me will not be addressed by police numbers. Sure, some incidents may be avoided by greater police presence, but the cases this year alone, both the frequency and nature of them, show that we've got a huge problem that policing will not address.

‘No amount of education will address the problem?’

Is your solution to ban social media? Somalian immigrants? Or just accept nothing can be done?

Suggest looking a little bit further for your information

Totally agree, it’s a tricky. The matey, friendly copper thing doesn’t work. On estates they hate the police, they don’t trust them and talk of gaining their trust is naive, in some places even outside of major cities police won’t even go there. The problem is youth culture has thrived on kids being the bad man, not being disrespected. The truth is it’s never been that different, there have always been groups of bad boys, the difference is now whereas before you’d get a black eye or a bust nose, now you’ll get a blade in your stomach.

The only answer is zero tolerance. Anyone suspected of carrying a knife can be searched, if caught arrested, they inforce section 60s by the dozen at football on a weekend with no outcry about human rights. But then does that work? Most people in prison are proud of their crimes, forget all this nonsense about no one in prison is guilty, everyone is and not only are they guilt of what they’ve done but plenty more they never got caught for and how lucky they were for getting away with the sentence they got! However that requires a lot more rescource and a lot more prison spaces which we don’t have. It 100% friendly coppers earning trust, education by minor celebs or former criminals telling everyone how bad it is wont work.

‘No amount of education will address the problem?’

Is your solution to ban social media? Somalian immigrants? Or just accept nothing can be done?

Suggest looking a little bit further for your information

"No amount of education" is education from police, read my post in the context of the post I was responding to. Education by police will revolve around highlighting the bloody obvious, ie cutting people harms them, and you if your caught, etc. Tell me how that will erode the current culture. What's needed is to give the youth something positive to do with their time and a channel for their frustration. Telling them that cutting other kids is bad won't solve a thing.

Social media needs clamping down on for sure - if the stuff that gets filmed doesn't get a social media platform it loses its power.

No idea why raise Somalian immigrants. This is not an African immigrant issue, is it?

There’s much more to it than policing but yeah, more police would obviously make a difference. The social media thing just makes the need for greater numbers even more urgent.

To be honest, having grown up in a leafy, middle class village in Hampshire I’m not exactly an expert in inner city gang culture. But on radio 5 they covered this subject a fair bit and a Police officer, ex gang member/convict turned youth worker and a school teacher were all pretty much in agreement that Tory cuts in police, youth services/clubs and schools have contributed to the problem, as well as greater inequality and social media.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The OP is from 2018....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43628494

I know, but he knew at the time he was selectively misrepresenting and he's still posting about how terrible and violent London is, even though it is one of the safest capitals worldwide.  Berlin, Rome, Paris, Amsterdam etc all have a higher murder rate than London. The differences are much starker once you get out of relatively safe Europe. Many central and south American cities have rates up to 10-50 times higher than London      

Edited by buctootim