Hugely important summer

Bit of a plonker

It appears Saintsweb is in unusual agreement that whatever happens in the remainder of the season, this will be a hugely important summer for the club. Stay up or go down, it is clear that as an absolute minimum, we need to appoint a permanent manager, overhaul the playing squad and have a pre-season such that we really hit the ground running, whether we be in the Championship or Premier League. Ideal world, we also need a new direction in the boardroom as dis-satisfaction levels with Les, Ralph and Ross appear to be shot.

Question is, how is this going to be done and who will drive this change that is needed? And, for those with the skill or knowhow, what advice would you give to them to make sure this is done successfully?

If we go down, we will need a manager with obvious (decent) experience of the championship or someone with the know how a bit like Hughes

Names like potter are just ridiculous. We will be a ship in very stormy waters. More warnock, less potter.

Les Reed and Less so, Ralph have to depart the club. Their positions are totally untenable.

We have to veer away from the approach of trying to be clever with transfers. It has failed. £20m in Carrillo is a f-ing joke and will cost us big time.

It appears Saintsweb is in unusual agreement that whatever happens in the remainder of the season, this will be a hugely important summer for the club. Stay up or go down, it is clear that as an absolute minimum, we need to appoint a permanent manager, overhaul the playing squad and have a pre-season such that we really hit the ground running, whether we be in the Championship or Premier League. Ideal world, we also need a new direction in the boardroom as dis-satisfaction levels with Les, Ralph and Ross appear to be shot.

Question is, how is this going to be done and who will drive this change that is needed? And, for those with the skill or knowhow, what advice would you give to them to make sure this is done successfully?

Very few and far between on here :)

Whatever happens, I've got a feeling this is going to be a difficult summer.

The first scenario is if we get relegated. Immediate question is whether we keep Hughes, assuming he wants to stay. If he were to go, I doubt we'd get an upgrade in the Championship.

Then, how many players would go? No idea whether there are relegation release clauses but you can bet the likes of Bertrand, Tadic, Cedric, Lemina and Boufal will consider themselves too good for a lower division and will have agents on overtime whilst manipulating a move VVD style.

We'd need to go back to developing talent as we won't attract players.

Gao might well pocket player sales to offset him expenditure. Parachute payments could go the same way. Don't expect investment to get us back up. Unless we have a manager who can build a committed team from the remnants plus recruits from the academy, doubt we'd do better than mid table, and possibly worse if we have bad attitudes remaining.

And, most importantly, it would have a devastating financial effect on Saints. I've heard from someone inside the club that up to 60% of staff could go. A sobering thought for those saying Championship would be good. It wouldn't.

Scenario two is we manage to stay up. And, except financially, it isn't that different to scenario one. There's still the Hughes question. And the same players will want out of a struggling Prem team. But there would be a bit more cash to invest if, and it's a big if, our owners want to. I seriously doubt that and fear the attitude will be that we've survived once do can do it again without investment. I'm convinced Gao did not borrow a fortune to get a club in which he can invest more money. He did it to get something he believes will make him money. And he'll get that by selling assets and minimising costs.

And, whatever happens, will anyone get rid of Les?

Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

If we go down, we will need a manager with obvious (decent) experience of the championship or someone with the know how a bit like Hughes

Names like potter are just ridiculous. We will be a ship in very stormy waters. More warnock, less potter.

Les Reed and Less so, Ralph have to depart the club. Their positions are totally untenable.

We have to veer away from the approach of trying to be clever with transfers. It has failed. £20m in Carrillo is a f-ing joke and will cost us big time.

That Carrillo transfer alone is why the scouting and recruitment department need a massive overhaul. Les Reed and Wilson have lost the plot completely.

I'd be content with Hughes in charge next season even if we do go down.

That Carrillo transfer alone is why the scouting and recruitment department need a massive overhaul. Les Reed and Wilson have lost the plot completely.

I'd be content with Hughes in charge next season even if we do go down.

Interesting to see if Hughes fancies it.

Really depends on what the owners plan to do (they might not even know yet).

If we do somehow mange to claw 2 points back on Huddersfield and miraculously survive I don’t think i will ever have been as pessimistic in looking forward to a season in PL. At least in Championship there is more unknown and hope.

we will get a totally unconvincing apology from the board and the promise to work to bring us back up.

We will dither over the manager and appoint the new one a couple of weeks before the season starts

They will have a fire sale of any player they can shift and won't sign anyone till they know who they are left with

We need Tadic Redmond and the other serial failures out of the club.

My worst fear is we will keep Long as a striker expecting him to succeed when he has failed as a goal scorer for two seasons

We need to ensure we start with a largely new squad to ensure we don't carry the sickness we have into the next season

We need to bring more football expertise into the board Les is passed his sell by date and if we rely on him we will just get the same