Ross Wilson

SKD

I'm not sure if this has been reported down here:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/17975674.southampton-manager-admits-departure-ross-wilson-rangers-big-loss/

Of course, Wilson is being talked up for the Scottish media.

Whenever I see anyone in Football as quoted as saying anything, I always imagine what question they'd have asked and what the alternative answers would be. In this scenario, Ralph was asked how losing Wilson would effect things, he gave the answer ANY other football manager would have given about ANY other staff member leaving at ANY club.

It's not as if he's going to go "Good riddance, couldn't stand him, poor personal hygiene and complete tosser of a human being".

I'm not sure if this has been reported down here:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/17975674.southampton-manager-admits-departure-ross-wilson-rangers-big-loss/

Of course, Wilson is being talked up for the Scottish media.

Not sure how it's a big loss. We've been largely sh*t with him in the setup, it's not like we can do a whole lot worse without him.

Not sure how it's a big loss. We've been largely sh*t with him in the setup, it's not like we can do a whole lot worse without him.

I don't see it as a big loss either. I've previously posed the question on here, as to what was his track record to make him such an attractive option to Les Reed ? To date no one has provided any suggestions. Hardly surprising as I can't see anything noteworthy in his time at previous clubs. Huddersfield's rise and the appointment of David Wagner occurred about a year after he left.

I don't see it as a big loss either. I've previously posed the question on here, as to what was his track record to make him such an attractive option to Les Reed ? To date no one has provided any suggestions. Hardly surprising as I can't see anything noteworthy in his time at previous clubs. Huddersfield's rise and the appointment of David Wagner occurred about a year after he left.

He’s been dreadful, main attribute seems to have been loyalty to Reed but that’s irrelevant now. Leaves behind a bloated, slow and mentally feeble squad, truly the worst I can remember in any division have been in. Bar Djenepo, Redmond, Romeu and Ings I cannot say I would be bothered in the slightest if any of them left and even the above names would not cause too much disappointment. Reed and Hunter have even left the academy in an appalling state, the club’s main reason for existing. Long repair job for Jaidi as well. Watch England decline with Reed’s influence - at least the rest of the country can have a taste of his ineptitude and BS. That’s where Ross probably learned self promotion from and our newspapers lost their ability to properly challenge a question individuals a while ago.

• 2 years later...

Anyone know how Wee Ross is doing in his new role? Noticable how our recruitment has picked up signficantly since he left, how has Rangers recruitment been? I'm sure given he is a transfer guru things will pick up soon at Rangers, or he'll be off to Villa with Gerrard who insisted on bringing him in at Ibrox.

They must be pretty happy with their recruitment having replaced Gerrard fairly seamlessly. Flying in Europe, not in the bottom 10 in the league, and could still win it yet. In retrospect maybe he wasn't so bad after all. Armstrong has become an integral cog in our side, Elyounoussi has come good as well, Vestergaard was useful until we managed to palm him off to Leicester for a tidy sum, Lemina - clearly talented but took a risk on his attitude, Hoedt - ok even I can't put a positive spin on that one.

Not sure if Wilson, or Les Reed were responsible for the buys made after the jackpot sale of VvD 

to Liverpool, but beginning with Boufal and upto the purchase of Carrillo  the net result was 

distinctly underwhelming.. Few of them gave any real benefit to the club and their combined salaries 

might well have bankrupted us - had we been stuck with them till the end of their long contracts.

Wilson may have had some success in buying talents from the lower leagues, but the Premier League 

can be a minefield when seeking new players...just look at the  disasterous record of clubs like Spurs, 

Everton and even Man Utd. who spend money like water but show little or no progress.

I'm pleased for Wilson's sake, if he's seen to be doing a good job in Scotland, but his record at Saints 

gives him little or nothing to brag about. 

6 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Not sure if Wilson, or Les Reed were responsible for the buys made after the jackpot sale of VvD 

to Liverpool, but beginning with Boufal and upto the purchase of Carrillo  the net result was 

distinctly underwhelming.. Few of them gave any real benefit to the club and their combined salaries 

might well have bankrupted us - had we been stuck with them till the end of their long contracts.

Wilson may have had some success in buying talents from the lower leagues, but the Premier League 

can be a minefield when seeking new players...just look at the  disasterous record of clubs like Spurs, 

Everton and even Man Utd. who spend money like water but show little or no progress.

I'm pleased for Wilson's sake, if he's seen to be doing a good job in Scotland, but his record at Saints 

gives him little or nothing to brag about. 

I read somewhere a while back Wilson pushed to sign Carillo despite being told by others he was not the sort of signing that should be made. In the main as transfer guru at Saints his record was appauling. He didn't seem to do particularly well at Huddersfield either. His biggest achievement seems to be selling Scott Arnfield for £500k, such an achievement they were still crowing about it 9 years later when he joined Rangers, never seen an average player be sold for such a modest fee and be lauded as such a momentus achievement.

The Ross Wilson art of the deal that launched Rangers star Scott Arfield's career and hints at transfer grand plan - Daily Record

Edited by Turkish

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I read somewhere a while back Wilson pushed to sign Carillo despite being told by others he was not the sort of signing that should be made. In the main as transfer guru at Saints his record was appauling. He didn't seem to do particularly well at Huddersfield either. His biggest achievement seems to be selling Scott Arnfield for £500k, such an achievement they were still crowing about it 9 years later when he joined Rangers, never seen an average player be sold for such a modest fee and be lauded as such a momentus achievement.

The Ross Wilson art of the deal that launched Rangers star Scott Arfield's career and hints at transfer grand plan - Daily Record

They just mention that because there's a Rangers connection, not because it's supposed to be the greatest deal he's ever done. Also, it's pretty clear that Carillo was a Pellegrino purchase. Pellegrino was an utter disaster, and I guess Ross is probably the person to blame for that.

15 minutes ago, Danbert said:

They just mention that because there's a Rangers connection, not because it's supposed to be the greatest deal he's ever done. Also, it's pretty clear that Carillo was a Pellegrino purchase. Pellegrino was an utter disaster, and I guess Ross is probably the person to blame for that.

Carillo was a Pellegrino signing, ie his player his choice, but i have heard that Wilson pushed it through despite being told not to. It was a ridiculous signing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Carillo was a Pellegrino signing, ie his player his choice, but i have heard that Wilson pushed it through despite being told not to. It was a ridiculous signing.

Exactly. Regardless of who wanted the player, for him to sign off (as head of transfers) on a player for a deal worth c.£20m for a manager that was so far out of his depth and quite obviously going to get the boot shortly after, was an absolute disgrace. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dman said:

Exactly. Regardless of who wanted the player, for him to sign off (as head of transfers) on a player for a deal worth c.£20m for a manager that was so far out of his depth and quite obviously going to get the boot shortly after, was an absolute disgrace. 

For me this was the lowest point in our recent history since Koeman left.  It was so embarrassing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Do you know who was also on our short-list as an alternative at that point? This made me weep.

Raul Jimenez. But we thought Carillo was a better choice.

The whole point of a 'Transfer Guru' is that he can stop a manager buying a dud or just buying his mate, he was as guilty as anyone in pushing it through.

Edited by S-Clarke

My understanding at Rangers is that recruitment has seriously deteriorated since he joined. Most of their good players, like Morelas and Aribo, were already at the club when he joined. Rangers spent big to stop Celtic getting their 10, who imploded anyway with a dogshit manager Lennon. Rangers haven't really been selling their players which means that the bulk of the team has been pretty stable. 

Last January case in point on his recruitment strategy. Celtic were on their tails and had strengthened. Wilson spent 2m to bring in Ramsay on loan, who has barely played. And they got Amad the United youngster on loan who has been shit and unfair to expect a youngster to come in for a title run in anyway. 

Rangers have some pretty dicey finances, so he's probably quite restricted with what he can do. But even within his limited budget seems to be under achieving. 

16 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

My understanding at Rangers is that recruitment has seriously deteriorated since he joined. Most of their good players, like Morelas and Aribo, were already at the club when he joined. Rangers spent big to stop Celtic getting their 10, who imploded anyway with a dogshit manager Lennon. Rangers haven't really been selling their players which means that the bulk of the team has been pretty stable. 

Last January case in point on his recruitment strategy. Celtic were on their tails and had strengthened. Wilson spent 2m to bring in Ramsay on loan, who has barely played. And they got Amad the United youngster on loan who has been shit and unfair to expect a youngster to come in for a title run in anyway. 

Rangers have some pretty dicey finances, so he's probably quite restricted with what he can do. But even within his limited budget seems to be under achieving. 

So basically exactly the same scenario panning out there as when he was here.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The transfer guru waving his wand of shit up there. Absolute fraud. 

This is trademark bullshit from Ross. What does this stuff even mean? As you say, total fraud.

“One of the things I always say to my staff at the training ground is having a ‘What’s next?,’ mentality,” he said.” When we’ve done something, what can we do next? Without being reckless, without being kamikaze but making sure we have a clear plan to keep moving the club forward in all of the areas because football doesn’t stop and we definitely can’t stop. We have to keep our foot to the floor. We have to keep moving forward and remember the club we represent.”

20 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

This is trademark bullshit from Ross. What does this stuff even mean? As you say, total fraud.

“One of the things I always say to my staff at the training ground is having a ‘What’s next?,’ mentality,” he said.” When we’ve done something, what can we do next? Without being reckless, without being kamikaze but making sure we have a clear plan to keep moving the club forward in all of the areas because football doesn’t stop and we definitely can’t stop. We have to keep our foot to the floor. We have to keep moving forward and remember the club we represent.”

Edited by 31cc
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I find it astonishing that the guy can hold major jobs at SFC and Rangers - Huddersfield’s recruitment seemed to get better after he left as well. Whether it was him, Les Reed or both, nearly £20m for Guido Carrillo is a fitting legacy. What was it - 10 games, 0 goals, a heavily subsidised loan and a compromise release? Only scored 12 in 106 for Leganes and Elche. 

58 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

I find it astonishing that the guy can hold major jobs at SFC and Rangers - Huddersfield’s recruitment seemed to get better after he left as well. Whether it was him, Les Reed or both, nearly £20m for Guido Carrillo is a fitting legacy. What was it - 10 games, 0 goals, a heavily subsidised loan and a compromise release? Only scored 12 in 106 for Leganes and Elche. 

Carillo was a Pellegrino signing wasn't he?

General point though I think is that if you're good at Powerpoint presentations then you can impress a lot of suits in football. That's how Steve McLaren became England manager

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Carillo was a Pellegrino signing wasn't he?

General point though I think is that if you're good at Powerpoint presentations then you can impress a lot of suits in football. That's how Steve McLaren became England manager

Isn't this one of NJ's strengths ?

14 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Given before joining us he had a record of a goal every two games perhaps that one should blamed on Pellegrino, Hughes and Ralph not wee Ross

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Little Ross going to Forest. Rangers fans are delighted after protesting to get rid of him, I expect Saints fans are too.

Is this actually true? Surely the Athletic are too good to run with a story whose source was from a parody twitter account?

10 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Little Ross going to Forest. Rangers fans are delighted after protesting to get rid of him, I expect Saints fans are too.

Not sure what clubs see in this guy. Forests transfer policy is already incredibly scattergun, so adding him to the mix is going to create a bit of a long-term issue for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure what clubs see in this guy. Forests transfer policy is already incredibly scattergun, so adding him to the mix is going to create a bit of a long-term issue for them.

He's the Alex Crook of football executives...

• Like 1

If you read any of the stuff about him when he was with us, he pretty much fell into football whilst deciding "what he wanted to be" as he was growing up. From there seems to have mastered the art of blowing sunshine up the right backsides, whilst keeping his smoke machine in tip top condition and his mirrors suitably polished.

• Like 1

I wish Ross all the best at Forest. I trust that, despite their hectic transfer activity this season, that he will be able to bring the full range of his skills and experience to their club, to develop a squad very much shaped by his transfer ethos.

Right. That's one less club to worry about.

Mind you, considering how our transfers and spending have worked out...

On 23/11/2022 at 09:16, rooney said:

Idiots in top jobs happens all the time. I wonder sometimes.

Often promoted ‘out of the way’ where they can do less harm.

On 12/04/2023 at 14:23, Andrew Watson said:

It is a fact of life that some people can bullshit their way through life and do very well. Wilson is one such person.

I expect most of us can relate to that and how ‘Teflon coated’ they are.

In the case of Wilson I’ve no idea what his record was for Reed to recruit him. But it again seems he’ll leave his current club with reputation intact, possibly even enhanced by the fact Rangers are a ‘big club’.