Ross Wilson

SKD

Not really that sure what he done in the past to deserve the job in the first place (Huddersfield and their recruitment has actually improved since he has left), but he's another senior figure (appointed by Les) at the club who just simply up to the task and has played a massive part in our downfall. A prime example of replacing quality (Mitchell) with absolute sh!te, as we have seen throughout the club.

His apparent lack of ability to seal major transfer deals (thinking back to recent January transfer windows) and inability to attract / spot a decent manager (no doubt had a big say in the appointments of Puel and MP) to me should be a sackable offence.

Hopefully when we go down, Mr Gao will have a big restructure and Ross (as well as Les and Ralph) will be let go as part of that. Personally, I'd like to see 'Mr Black box', Paul Mitchel (I'm not saying he didn't / doesn't make bad decisions as well, but he's a dam lot better than Ross) come back, but in Les' role and let him pick the team under him.

Unfortunately it won't happen and when Les does eventually step down, Ross will, unjustifiably, step into his shoes.... shame he didn't take the rangers job when offered it.

You've got absolutely no idea who's to blame. Eric Black was the problem before, and Puel, and then Pellegrino, and now Gao/Reed/Kruger the first name that comes to mind. No one has any idea about the inner workings of the club and want to just keep going for peoples heads with nothing really to substantiate it.

Football goes in cycles - sometimes your team are good and others not. Stop bleating.

Not really that sure what he done in the past to deserve the job in the first place (Huddersfield and their recruitment has actually improved since he has left), but he's another senior figure (appointed by Les) at the club who just simply up to the task and has played a massive part in our downfall. A prime example of replacing quality (Mitchell) with absolute sh!te, as we have seen throughout the club.

.... shame he didn't take the rangers job when offered it.

Must admit I have also wondered what made him a suitable candidate as we were linked with him for about 12 months before he joined. Looking back at Huddersfield's signings I couldn't see anything that stood out at the time to suggest a track record.

It's like many Les recruits, and it sometimes seems a case of the Emperors Clothes, Les "sees" something and all others go along with it.

But it has to be asked, who had heard of Paul Mitchell prior to his arrival, and what track record did he have? Credit to Les (or Cortese) perhaps for that selection.

You've got absolutely no idea who's to blame. Eric Black was the problem before, and Puel, and then Pellegrino, and now Gao/Reed/Kruger the first name that comes to mind. No one has any idea about the inner workings of the club and want to just keep going for peoples heads with nothing really to substantiate it.

Football goes in cycles - sometimes your team are good and others not. Stop bleating.

Nothing to substantiate it? Have you not seen our dramatic down fall over the past 18 months.

It’s a combination of poor management on and off the pitch. Agree that football goes in cycles, but as far as I’m concerned this (relegation) was something completely avoidable.

You can’t argue that we’ve generally been poor in the transfer window since Mitchel left. If you don’t think there’s an issue with the running of the club and that it’s just ‘football cycles’ then more fool you, head in sand comes to mind.

Nothing to substantiate it? Have you not seen our dramatic down fall over the past 18 months.

It’s a combination of poor management on and off the pitch. Agree that football goes in cycles, but as far as I’m concerned this (relegation) was something completely avoidable.

You can’t argue that we’ve generally been poor in the transfer window since Mitchel left. If you don’t think there’s an issue with the running of the club and that it’s just ‘football cycles’ then more fool you, head in sand comes to mind.

Exactly, this isn't just something that has happened naturally, the fall has been spectacular, and heads should roll.

That is exactly the dumb attitude that has let these idiots in the board get away with ruining club. Those at the top are laughing at us. You keep telling urself it’s all a cycle mate. Most preventable relegation ever.

That is exactly the dumb attitude that has let these idiots in the board get away with ruining club. Those at the top are laughing at us. You keep telling urself it’s all a cycle mate. Most preventable relegation ever.

Certainly speaks volumes when we have 1 win in 18 games but are still in touching distance of staying up.

Such a poor league this season.

Wilson’s title is now Director of Football operations, which I believe was Leslie’s previous role before stepping up to vice-chairman. Simply put, he’s not just in charge of scouting and identifying who to recruit for the senior team but will oversee a lot of other departments - performance analysis, football administration, etc. He will also have a role in contract negotiations, alongside Leslie.

So he has to assume a decent portion of the blame for the various failures over the past 21 months or so.

It always struck me as odd that he was on holiday in Portugal during that never-ending end-of-season review before we finally sacked Puel - which he surely would have had a massive involvement in.

Of course he is entitled to a holiday, but the timing just seemed symptomatic of the malaise that has gripped the club, more generally. The absolute priority should have surely been to get the manager situation resolved ASAP and set out the agenda for the summer, especially with a takeover rumbling on in the background and the instability this can lead to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the media coverage I've seen Wee Ross seems pretty good at opening the door for Uncle Les and the club's new signings.

Yes, that's about the level of capability. Struck me as a very odd appointment at the time, looking like an extra from Trainspotting unable to get a shirt collar to fit him with a non-track record or experience in the critical role he secured at a flying Prem side - completely uninspired and non-inspirational, so very Lesley. He has to go along with his mentor and the bell-end Krueger - fans at the moment are apathetic, but post relegation expect pitchforks if this trio of cretins are still in place come September.

• 1 year later...
Wasn't he linked with them a while back?

If we're all honest, I wouldn't shed a tear if he went. To say his results have been mixed is an understatement.

Could be an opening for Mithchell to link back up with Ralph. Who knows.

I believe he turned it down, but did speak to them.

Found the link: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3070178/ross-wilson-snubbing-rangers-difficult-decision/amp/

Edited by SuperSAINT

Former Tottenham talent spotter Paul Mitchell 'rejects up to four Premier League clubs' to sign new contract as Red Bull's global soccer technical director following successful spell with RB Leipzig

Red Bull have proved very good owners at both Leipzig and Salzburg. I wonder when they'll start looking for an English club? Perhaps Mitchell could point them in our direction.

Red Bull have proved very good owners at both Leipzig and Salzburg. I wonder when they'll start looking for an English club? Perhaps Mitchell could point them in our direction.

I think they would have to buy a lower league team and try and delvelop them into a PL side - i can't see any PL side (or Championship) allowing RB to be added to their name.

I think they would have to buy a lower league team and try and delvelop them into a PL side - i can't see any PL side (or Championship) allowing RB to be added to their name.

I don’t think EPL or FL rules allow a commercial name to be added to an existing name.....?

I don’t think EPL or FL rules allow a commercial name to be added to an existing name.....?

Neither do the German rules, didn't really stop Red Bull though. Leipzig aren't actually called "Red Bull Leipzig" but rather "RasenBallSport Leipzig" ("Lawn Ball Sports Leipzig") which they conveniently shorten to "RB Leipzig".

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson in Rangers talks as Gerrard makes personal plea.

Ross Wilson in Rangers director of football talks as Steven Gerrard makes personal plea to Southampton talent spotter

The Ibrox boss has already made contact with the Falkirk-born Scot to replace axed Mark Allen at Ibrox.

And boss Steven Gerrard has already made a personal plea to the Falkirk-born Scot to replace axed Mark Allen at Ibrox.

The 36-year-old, the highly-rated director of football operations at the EPL side, rejected the job two and half years ago to stay at St Mary’s.

However he is now considering a fresh approach made by Rangers managing director Stewart Robertson and is deep in talks over the role.

Wilson was offered a blank canvas the last time out after the job was first created in a major restructuring, but the former Bairns, Huddersfield and Watford recruitment ace couldn't be convinced to leave one of the most reputable operations in the English top flight.

This time however, he’s understood to be taking the approach seriously, and has been seeking guarantees about the club’s current financial health as he makes up his mind over a move back home after a decade down south.

And it's believed a lengthy conversation with Gerrard, as well as other trusted contacts inside the Hummel Training Centre operation, has helped him edge towards accepting the post with the Premiership side.

Talks are expected to continue over the weekend.

Source: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ross-wilson-rangers-director-football-20461074

Will be a big vacancy for us to fill if he accepts it.

Good. Had this summer to prove himself as the main man after a few poor windows as the "second in charge". Failed to deliver again, based on what's happened so far, so it feels like he's definitely an area we could improve on.

Although, he does seem to get linked to Rangers on a yearly basis.

He must have impressed someone once, otherwise why would Rangers be after him...........?

I suspect its more likely that Rangers are a more attractive club for him. They're pushing to catch celtic, he'll have a transfer budget to work with, and given the inferior league, there's a better chance that players will be a success. To be fair to the bloke, he had to pull rabbits out of the hat for us and there's only so many times you can do that.

Poor transfers, wages, managers sacked, sky money, league finish money, season tickets, club reputation, next generation of fans.

Ross and Les have cost us the best part £250m

Ross (Harry) should have been sacked when Les (Lloyd) was

2 useless c u next tuesday's

giphy.gif

Sure Gao will be an expert at selecting a replacement...

The worrying aspect of this ...

Knowing how Saints have worked in recent seasons whats the betting that the club announce the ex-Everton scout brought in over the summer can take the role.

Makes sense as Wilson is the most senior member of Football Staff we have, hence why someone 'non Football' will end up choosing his Successor.

Probably not ideal ahead of January, but we have no cash to spend anyway seeing as we failed to sell any of the flops this summer.

For a team like Saints, getting his replacement right will be crucial and possibly the difference between relegation in the next 3 seasons and staying in the PL.