Jack Stephens

Batman

Just how good is he?

Been in the side for well over a year now and been around long enough to give an honest assessment on.

I think he is terrible myself, easily one of the worst CBs I have seen in the air and goes missing.

Surely, he would be ideal as a 3rd or 4th CB that can some in a do a job from time to time.

It would be alarming if true about him being on circa £50k a week. That is up there with giving long a new deal ffs

Good player not helped by his team mates. At the moment he has an out of form right back on one side, the dreadful Hoedt on the other and CM's in front of him who give little protection. No CB would look brilliant in that situation.

Sure, he's not the best in the air, but he's good on the ground and a decent reader of the game. He's excellent on the ball too and pass as well. His partnership with Yoshida was a good one in which he looked very good.

Tidy player, good on the ball and okay at making last ditch tackles but overal is a terrible CB. Would probably do a bit better in CM if we go down, but ball watches, isn’t great at marking and lacks strength.

Hoedt gets hammered on here, but he is a much better CB than Stephens. Easy to forget that they are both around 23/24, both would benefit from having a senior, ‘ball winning’ CB to play next to them.

Tidy player, good on the ball and okay at making last ditch tackles but overal is a terrible CB. Would probably do a bit better in CM if we go down, but ball watches, isn’t great at marking and lacks strength.

Hoedt gets hammered on here, but he is a much better CB than Stephens. Easy to forget that they are both around 23/24, both would benefit from having a senior, ‘ball winning’ CB to play next to them.

I agree that he's better suited to CM, seems to be his natural position imo. Can't agree re Hoedt though. He's slow and ponderous. You say to give him a ball winning CB by his side but he's supposed to be the ball winner, the fact that he doesn't do that is one reason imo Stephens gets hung out to dry.

CB is a position where the right partnership is crucial. JS and Hoedt is not a good partnership in terms of complimentary skills. JS and Yoshida was better, but still not top end of Prem quality. JS has some weaknesses but is still learning and should improve as CBs tend to mature a bit later than some other attacking positions. At this moment he probably needs a more mature, bigger CB alongside him. Someone to do that job that Fonte did for Lovren and Hooiveld.

Good player not helped by his team mates. At the moment he has an out of form right back on one side, the dreadful Hoedt on the other and CM's in front of him who give little protection. No CB would look brilliant in that situation.

Sure, he's not the best in the air, but he's good on the ground and a decent reader of the game. He's excellent on the ball too and pass as well. His partnership with Yoshida was a good one in which he looked very good.

Way over the top.

He can't mark in the box so will always cost us goals.

Yes, exactly.

CB is a position where the right partnership is crucial. JS and Hoedt is not a good partnership in terms of complimentary skills. JS and Yoshida was better, but still not top end of Prem quality. JS has some weaknesses but is still learning and should improve as CBs tend to mature a bit later than some other attacking positions. At this moment he probably needs a more mature, bigger CB alongside him. Someone to do that job that Fonte did for Lovren and Hooiveld.

Could the exact same not be said about Hoedt, who imo is naturally a better defender. He's also physically more suited to CB as well (not saying he's the answer, but he is better than Stephens).

Agree that together they are a terrible partnership - I'd prefer Yoshida Hoedt as Yosh has the pace to cover for Hoedt.

Did he play much when loaned out in the championship?

Nope - crazy to think he went from not getting in a championship Middlesbrough team to one of the first names on our team sheet within a year/18 months. Sort of shows why we are in the mess we are.

I agree that he's better suited to CM, seems to be his natural position imo. Can't agree re Hoedt though. He's slow and ponderous. You say to give him a ball winning CB by his side but he's supposed to be the ball winner, the fact that he doesn't do that is one reason imo Stephens gets hung out to dry.

The problem with them both is that they are both young and inexperienced. They'd both be much better playing alongside an experienced player which most clubs do. It's only our mental DOF who seems to think we can build a successful team around a load of youngsters who have no top flight experience. Stephens has only been in the squad a year and Hoedt has only been a regular first team player since he joined us. We've got two young players learning the position at the same time. Centre back above anywhere else on the pitch it's all about organisation, communication and leadership, you usually have one leader of the two who organises the back four, we don't have that, we've basically got two rookies in the position. I think that partially explains the reason why Hoedt appears ponderous.

As for Stephens, he's a nice footballer but a terrible defender. I'm not convinced he's a natural central midfielder either, it's one thing to look comfortable bringing the ball out of defence with everything in front of you, quite another to do that in the hustle and bustle of central midfield with challenges coming in from all directions. He could probably do a job there as a short term fix but I cant see him being a long term fixture there.

Doesn’t attack the ball head-on, let’s it bounce first. No positional discipline and goes chasing rabbits. Doesn’t have the authority to organise the defensive line. Has some good points but these are outweighed by the negatives.

Would benefit from a spell in a lower division.

On the ball very good, at CB and defending very poor.

Personally would rather have Yoshi at CB and Stephens as 3rd choice, if we go down then he can start but if we stay up he needs to be 3rd or 4th choice CB and we need a better CB then Yoshi or him to partner Hoedt.

Technically very good - good on the ball, decent passing, good control, pretty good tackler, looks comfortable with the ball.

Defensively very poor - bad positionally, often loses his man, often unaware of what's happening around him, doesn't head well / often enough, not strong or decisive.

He does the tricky things well and the simple things badly.

I think he's got the right attributes to become a good CB (not a world class one), but needs a lot more time and experience, plus more time in the gym to get stronger.

Still pretty young in CB terms but really has an issue dominating in the air.

One of the few players that you can nail down as still being here for the Championship next season

Is he good enough for the championship though? imo, he's not.

When he played last season alongside Maya I thought, after a tricky start that he looked like developing into a very good player. His weaknesses in his heading and positional sense was obvious but with a dominating CB alongside him I thought he would develop. Sadly though this has not been the case. He tackles well, is good on the ball and can make decent passes but his weaknesses are still there. Maybe be would make a decent defensive midfielder although his reading of the game and positional sense again may let him down in that position. I so much want him to do well but I feel that he has reached his limit and his limit is not good enough.

I cannot fathom how you would sell the best center back in the team pocket a huge figure and then not attempt to replace the glaring weakness in the team..... dress it up all you want the pure arrogance and moronic decisions have cost us dearly....

Now surely before we even attempted to shifted Virgl we would of already have had a replacement ready to sign on the dotted line? but hey ho that would require us to use a bit of intelligence something the board haven't got...

Stephens as a player? again paper over the cracks all you want the end result is this at Premiership level he isn't good enough...... That is my opinion and I don't rate half the so called players in this team. If I had my way I would sell the lot and rebuild we are severely lacking in leadership, bravery and mental strength as a squad we are the equivilent of a field full of rabbits caught in the headlights when we come up against opposition. No sense of urgency, cohesion or understanding or what to actually do with the ball...... gutless bunch that need to get out this team. Take that West Ham defeat that was embarrassing a shambles. You are in a relegation fight stop burying heads in sand and take action..... fans what to see fighters.... not a bunch of wet towels coming out with excuses after match......

Honestly he looks like a defensive midfielder playing out of position, his aerial game isn't a mere weakness, it is appalling. Cannot understand why Yoshi has been dropped.

Stephens can't defend, wouldn't even say hes great on the ball tbh. Can't header, can't mark, weak, can't track his man.

he started out as a right back - and that's probably where he should play for us. He's good with the ball - but he's terrible in the air for a centreback - and his positioning is suspect - which is why I can't see him being a success as a defensive midfielder either.

If I remember correctly he did well at Swindon in League One/Two? but hardly played for Middlesbrough in the Championship. I think he played centreback at Swindon and right back, centre back and holding midfielder at Boro.

He was OK on the right of a back three for us - covering well for JWP who was playing as a right wingback when he went forward - which again suggests he'd be better at right back.

Replacing Virgil, Fonte and Gardos with Hoedt, Stephens and Bednarek was never going to work. And that's one of the key reasons we are struggling - the centre of our defence just isn't good enough for the Premier League - and would struggle in the Championship.

I'd keep Stephens if we go down or stay up but as a back-up right back - nothing else. But not if he is on £50K a week. If that's true Reed and Co really have gone mad with their delusions.

I’m not as pessimistic as everyone else, I think there’s a decent player in there. He came on leaps and bounds last year, but has regressed terribly this season. The club probably thought the improvement he showed last year would continue and therefore pushed him too far up the queue. He needed taking out of the firing line weeks ago , but with Yoshida injured & Wes just as bad he’s had to stay in. With proper coaching, a senior partner, and senior pros actually doing their job, he could have dipped in and out of the side and learnt his trade. He’s been chucked in at the deep end and the club are in danger of ruining him. The stuff he’s poor at can be coached out of him, but he needs a dominate figure beside him. There’s no doubt in my mind that had he been in the “Yoshida” role during Poch’s reign we’d be raving about him. Equally, had Chambers emerged this season, there’d be threads like this about him. If we stay up he probably needs another loan out to regain his confidence & toughen him up a bit more. If we go down he’ll need a coach that’s actually going to work on his weaknesses & a defensive set up that’ll help him. Let’s see whether the lad has enough character to put this season behind him, if he has I still think he’s worth preserving with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's pretty terrible. Won't be good enough to get us out of the Championship, if we want to go up we'll need better which makes it absolutely crazy that he starts for us in the league above. If he wasn't a youth player he'd be getting a lot more stick than he is. Not helped by playing next to Hoedt, who is also appalling. To think, we could have had Harry Maguire for only slightly more than we paid for Wes...cheers Les.

Heard from a decent source that he is one of the few not angling for a move next season and his contract (£48k pw) allows for a 50% reduction on relegation, so hopefully this provision is across the board.

hopefully, some truth in that

I think he has definitely got ability and has the potential to be a good player.

But the fact he starts every game now given who we have had in that position over the last 5 years shows why we are in the relegation zone.

For much of the last few years we had Fonte plus Lovren, Alderweireld or VVD.

They were all lightyears better than Stephens and Hoedt.

Obvious. But telling.

Is Gardos worse? If not, why has he been loaned out? Rhetorical question of course, it's on par with loaning out Gallagher without a recall, not to mention not bringing in a striker who can score, an experienced VVD/Fonte replacement, not sacking the clown months ago, etc. etc.

Alongside a capable, dominant centre half - not bad.

Alongside a slow, cumbersome, error prone Dutch Aaron Martin, not so much.

Looked OK alongside Yoshida for latter part of last season, bearing in mind he'd just been thrown in to Prem football. Really don't think he's the worst of the current two - not by a long chalk.