Manager for the Championship

SKD

With relegation currently looking all but confirmed, who would you appoint to lead the ship and ensure we 'don't do a Sunderland'?

Personally I hope we go for someone who knows English football, has experience managing in the championship and knows exactly how he wants to play and what players he wants / needs for that. I really hope we don't take another gamble on a cheap European, like Puel or Pellegrino as that could be a disaster. For me, target should be consolidation next season with a view of building a squad for promotion the following one.

There is / might be an argument to keep Hughes, but imo it would be better to have a fresh start (with a complete new set of coaching staff), whatever division we are in. We should have a pretty healthy budget for players / wages so in theory we should be able to pinch whoever we want, from that division.

My first choice would be Jokanovic (if Fulham don't go up) - Looks like he knows how to get teams out of that division. Although I suspect a few PL teams may be interested i.e West Ham.

I also wouldn't mind any of:

Rowett

Wilder

Neil Lennon

Alex Neil

Mark Warburton

Neil Warnock (short term - again if Cardiff don't go up or if he doesn't want to go with them)

Nigel Pearson

Michael Appleton (dare I say it)

If we do go left field, I would mind seeing us go for Vieira (not sure how realistic that is now) and wouldn't even mind us giving Erwin a punt (knows the club, will have respect from players and was pretty influential when Ronald was here).

Many will say Graham Potter, but I hope we stay away. Done a great job where he is, but don't think he is experienced enough, imo.

Edited by SKD

I'd stick with Hughes, if he'd accept it. I wasn't keen on his appointment, but if we could convince him to stay and allow him to rebuild, we'd have a manager who is arguable too good for the Championship and is good enough to solidify us back in the Premier League, if he could get us promoted. Then, it's a decision of how far we think he can take us (ala Adkins after promotion) and what our new plan and objective is.

All the other names you can think of lack Premier League experience so would need to be replaced fairly soon after promotion, unless we're willing to take a risk.

Mick McCarthy? Looks like he's on the way out of Ipswich

He took Sunderland and Wolves to the Premiership and made several play-offs with different teams.

Didn't have the money to keep those teams up but with Saints recruitment handling that, it could be a good match.

He took Sunderland and Wolves to the Premiership and made several play-offs with different teams.

Didn't have the money to keep those teams up but with Saints recruitment handling that, it could be a good match.

How successful has that been in recent times, though?

So a manager gets one league game now? Or one dire performance and they're gone?

He will be gone at the end of the season unless he gets a new contract, getting ripped apart by one of the worst teams in league is not the way to get it. I never wanted him in the first place but I certainly did not expect him to make us even worse. Nothing from Hughes' career or the short time he has been here would make me want to extend his stay beyond the end of the season.

What an appalling list.

Rowett yes, Wilder perhaps, the rest? Christ no.

Potter needs to do what for experience before this job then? Manage a few other championship sides but fail to get them up...but do enough to be deemed decent enough for us in that league??

He needs a chance somewhere and I'd rather have a progressive young manager than just be another generic championship side appointing one of those. Neil Lennon ffs?!!

If we want experience and a manager who has done the rounds at clubs just stick with Hughes given he's already here. His record has never been instant impact, but he's usually done well over longer spells.

You do realise that giving a young manager a chance somewhere is exactly what got us in this mess. Appointing an unknown quaintly (who let's be honest has been managing in a noddy league), could very easily lead to a second relegation. Potter reminds me very much of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer before he was 'given a chance'.... look how that ended up. Potter would be a massive risk and one that I'd rather someone else (like WBA) took.

Ultimately who ever comes in is going to need to pretty much rebuild the whole squad. They are going to need to tell Les who and what they need (not the other way round as it currently seems). It'll be a similar situation to when Koeman came, we need a strong personality and one that will instantly have respect from the players.

The reality is we need to take a step back to move forwards and for me that is solidity.. IMO our position is similar to Villa when they went down.

Garry Monk for me. Currently pulling Birmingham out of the relegation mire and hasn't been that bad anywhere imo. Still plenty to learn (he's younger than Eddie Howe) and makes mistakes but has the right attitude and i've no doubt he'll be managing in the prem again someday.

I expect Hughes will stay though as i think we'll survive the drop.

With relegation currently looking all but confirmed, who would you appoint to lead the ship and ensure we 'don't do a Sunderland'?

Personally I hope we go for someone who knows English football, has experience managing in the championship and knows exactly how he wants to play and what players he wants / needs for that. I really hope we don't take another gamble on a cheap European, like Puel or Pellegrino as that could be a disaster. For me, target should be consolidation next season with a view of building a squad for promotion the following one.

There is / might be an argument to keep Hughes, but imo it would be better to have a fresh start (with a complete new set of coaching staff), whatever division we are in. We should have a pretty healthy budget for players / wages so in theory we should be able to pinch whoever we want, from that division.

My first choice would be Jokanovic (if Fulham don't go up) - Looks like he knows how to get teams out of that division. Although I suspect a few PL teams may be interested i.e West Ham.

Rowett

Wilder

Neil Lennon

Alex Neil

Mark Warburton

Neil Warnock (short term - again if Cardiff don't go up or if he doesn't want to go with them)

Nigel Pearson

If we do go left field, I would mind seeing us go for Vieira (not sure how realistic that is now) and wouldn't even mind us giving Erwin a punt (knows the club, will have respect from players and was pretty influential when Ronald was here).

Many will say Graham Potter, but I hope we stay away. Done a great job where he is, but don't think he is experienced enough, imo.

Swap Micheal O'Neil for Neil Lennon and Alex Neil. Re Graham Potter - I bet you felt the same about Eddie Howe when he was managing in the Championship and whose track record as a manager was one of continuous progress in lower leagues just as Potter's is now. The essential requirement is to have a clear view of how they want to play with the flexibility to recognise when it is not working, the ability to coach the players into that way and tactical nous. If they have got that I don't really care where they are from and what level (within reason) they have coached at.

You do realise that giving a young manager a chance somewhere is exactly what got us in this mess.

Yeah but that was in the unforgiving environment of the PL. We would have much more scope to 'get away with it' in the Championship. And, to be honest, I would much rather take a punt on someone like him who is showing some real innovation and success somewhere than pick AN Other from the ridiculous failed manager merry-go-round.

Yeah but that was in the unforgiving environment of the PL. We would have much more scope to 'get away with it' in the Championship. And, to be honest, I would much rather take a punt on someone like him who is showing some real innovation and success somewhere than pick AN Other from the ridiculous failed manager merry-go-round.

Just wait till we are hanging around 15th in the championship and see how forgiving everyone is then

What the hell makes you think that? if anything, the next manager will have an even harder job that MP had. As demonstrated by Sunderland and earlier in the season Hull, if don't get it right you can find yourself dropping down to L1 pretty quickly.

Many managers have succeeded in micky mouse leagues and couldn't hack it when they come to England.

Swap Micheal O'Neil for Neil Lennon and Alex Neil. Re Graham Potter - I bet you felt the same about Eddie Howe when he was managing in the Championship and whose track record as a manager was one of continuous progress in lower leagues just as Potter's is now. The essential requirement is to have a clear view of how they want to play with the flexibility to recognise when it is not working, the ability to coach the players into that way and tactical nous. If they have got that I don't really care where they are from and what level (within reason) they have coached at.

Eddie Howe took over Bournemouth when they were in L2 (correct me if I'm wrong on that). He knows the club extremely well and has done very well to get the best out of what he has (spent a fortune on the way as well, btw). Had B'mouth been in the championship, he wouldn't have been given the job.

I'm not a massive fan of Howe anyway, I think he's pretty overrated and is just the right man at the right club (similar to NA with us). If/When he moves on, I'll bet my last penny that he wont be a success, like he wasn't at Burnley.

I don't think Alex Neil would be a bad shout and regrettably, Nigel Pearson too. Extra shout outs to Chris Hughton, Mick McCarthy (if available - would never be a 'first choice' but I think we have to look at proven promo experts).

Mark Hughes ideally though. Definitely worth a crack... proven Prem manager, though the Champ is a different thing altogether.

Adkins for nostalgia reasons... could he do it again? Would he?

Actually... where's Billy Davies gone?

If Mark Hughes has seen enough by the end of the season I'd have Chris Wilder.

He (or any other decent manager for that matter) would only come though if the club demonstrated that it wanted to get out ASAP and that may be a bit of a problem.

Jokanovic all day long for me - that's if Fulham don't go up.

And even more so if he can bring Ryan Fredericks, Tom Cairney and Mitrovic with him - and we bring back Targett.

I'd even go with Jokanovic over Hughes if by some miracle we stay up.

I can't see Wilder leaving his beloved Blades for us - but of the others Rowett might be a good shout. We should leave the dinosaurs and short terms fixes to another club. We need a manager who is happy to take a season or two to re-build the team - and believes in playing football.

Howe - never - he's a Bormuff Skate at heart!

Potter possibly if we are happy to make it a longer term project - but if we take a look at him why not take a look at Paul Tisdale at Exeter. He's done a fantastic job there and is ready to step up to Championship level and has more or less said he needs a new challenge.

Jokanovic would be ideal but he's on the brink of getting Fulham promoted so he's not going to come to us now. I said at the start of the season that he should have been Puel's replacement and I stand by that. He's much more in the mould of what the club was all about, although all of that seems to have gone out of the window now.

Watched a few Championship games and we need some recruitment.

Bamba at Cardiff type defender, cant have midget full backs. Jedinak old Palace player looks quality.

Pace and end product like Grealish.

Its interesting watching teams all so close in ability unlike gulf in Prem top 6 now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rowett

Wilder

Neil Lennon

Alex Neil

Mark Warburton

Nigel Pearson

What a crap list.

If Hughes doesnt want the gig or isnt offered it, I would go with Potter.

Or how about giving Sammy Lee his own hotseat ??

A little off topic, but if we remain in the PL should we try and get Unai Emery from PSG? He is likely to leave at the end of the season and Spanish papers are linking him to Real Sociedad, the current number 14 of the La Liga. Sure we could match their offer and give him the funds to build a strong team.

What a crap list.

If Hughes doesnt want the gig or isnt offered it, I would go with Potter.

Or how about giving Sammy Lee his own hotseat ??

Why is everyone so in love with Potter? That appointment to me would just continue what we've been doing, trying to be clever rather than going for proven.

And Sammy Lee isn't a manager, he's a good coach though. Jumping around a lot and showing passion doesn't automatically make you a good manager.