Manager for the Championship

SKD

A little off topic, but if we remain in the PL should we try and get Unai Emery from PSG? He is likely to leave at the end of the season and Spanish papers are linking him to Real Sociedad, the current number 14 of the La Liga. Sure we could match their offer and give him the funds to build a strong team.

That ship has long sailed.....

If we stay in the PL, Hughes will be here longer-term.

Why is everyone so in love with Potter? That appointment to me would just continue what we've been doing, trying to be clever rather than going for proven.

And Sammy Lee isn't a manager, he's a good coach though. Jumping around a lot and showing passion doesn't automatically make you a good manager.

Seems to work for Kloppy. And how do we know he wouldnt be a good manager ?

Who do you suggest then ?

Seems to work for Kloppy. And how do we know he wouldnt be a good manager ?

Who do you suggest then ?

Because he failed miserably as Bolton's manager.

If we stay up, which to be fair is a very big if, then Hughes will get the gig. He'd deserve it, as we'd have to go on a great run of form from now.

If we go down and don't win another game and Hughes hasn't had an impact, then I'd change it up and go and grab someone like Rowett. Proven in that league, successful in that league.

A little off topic, but if we remain in the PL should we try and get Unai Emery from PSG? He is likely to leave at the end of the season and Spanish papers are linking him to Real Sociedad, the current number 14 of the La Liga. Sure we could match their offer and give him the funds to build a strong team.

We wanted him the summer he went to PSG (the season we appointed Puel) - Should we stay up, I'd imagine he will certainly be on our list. If we could attract him or not would depend on budgets I suspect.

Why is everyone so in love with Potter? That appointment to me would just continue what we've been doing, trying to be clever rather than going for proven.

And Sammy Lee isn't a manager, he's a good coach though. Jumping around a lot and showing passion doesn't automatically make you a good manager.

Agree - would be a massive risk, one I would prefer us not to take.

whoever comes in next season has a very difficult job. They're basically going to have to rebuild the squad - I'm not sure Potter has the knowledge of the league or English football to do that.

Proven?

What like Harry Redknapp or David Moyes? Or any of the other awful managers appointed in the PL this season.

But apparently a guy who has got an unfancied team through 3 promotions and into Europe is apparently not proven?

trying to be 'clever' has worked before, Poch being the obvious example.

I'd rather have an up and coming young manager you will look to build something long term than the list of bang average journeyman managers that have been listed in this thread.

if we go down Potter for me would be a great appointment, let him set up long term and do what he wants to do we'll reap the rewards long term.

Rowett or Jokanovic would be my other options, but I suspect they'll either take their teams up or get prem jobs.

The rest of that list is horrible, just horrible.

Proven?

What like Harry Redknapp or David Moyes? Or any of the other awful managers appointed in the PL this season.

But apparently a guy who has got an unfancied team through 3 promotions and into Europe is apparently not proven?

trying to be 'clever' has worked before, Poch being the obvious example.

I'd rather have an up and coming young manager you will look to build something long term than the list of bang average journeyman managers that have been listed in this thread.

if we go down Potter for me would be a great appointment, let him set up long term and do what he wants to do we'll reap the rewards long term.

Rowett or Jokanovic would be my other options, but I suspect they'll either take their teams up or get prem jobs.

The rest of that list is horrible, just horrible.

The same David Moyes that has Kept WHU up, probably at our expense.

In an ideal world, everyone would love to give it to a young exciting manager, but the reality is that is a massive risk and one that has probably cost us our PL status.

I think a few are really underestimating how difficult next season will be. We need someone who knows the league and the players he needs to get out of that league.

The Cowley brothers

Hope they get a shot (and make it) at a bigger club soon - Championship might be a bit of a jump though, again, not sure they are experienced enough to handle the situation we will be in.

Why the love in for Rowett? He's got a decent enough squad at Derby and not exactly ripping the league up. He would be fine, but I definitely wouldn't be overly enthused by him. Dean Smith is doing a better job at Brentford, in my opinion

The same David Moyes that has Kept WHU up, probably at our expense.

Not really, West Ham have been pretty awful under him and will likely be relegation candidates next year if they keep him, he's just managed to be slightly less awful than other teams.

Same with Allardyce, they have also been awful under him.

I'm pretty sure both of those squads would probably be no worse off with the managers they had.

We are where we are due to poor management and poor recruitment, not the improvement of other clubs, pretty much all the clubs that have sacked their managers have had slight bounces and then gone on poor runs of form again.

And personally I am not bothered about bouncing back up immediately, not sure it would benefit us that much long term, I'd prefer to see a younger manager come in, build something, get some of the academy players game time and time to improve, pick up some gems from the lower leagues and progress from there into a promotion push in a few years where we will be more likely to stay in the league.

Most of the suggestions here are extremely short termist, even if one fo those journeyman managers promotes us straight back, none has real pedigree of keeping teams there.

if we want to get back into the league and progress long term we need to put ourselves in a position to punch above our weight, make the most of our resources (that means getting players through the academy and scouting well again) part of that will be getting a manager who makes a real difference, I don't see anyone on that list who fits that description.

Couldn't we just let inexperienced managers make their mistakes somewhere else and pick up someone who used to be an inexperienced manager but has already made a bunch of mistakes and learned from them?

Isn't that just called an experienced manager? - and if they are any good they are already employed

Isn't that just called an experienced manager? - and if they are any good they are already employed

Which is exactly what we should be going for, the best candidate possible.

Nothing against the law to stop us trying to attract a ready employed manager

I like the idea of trying to build a solid foundation in the Championship over a couple of seasons. But in practice the slow build rarely works, because at the end of the season Championship teams that have not quite made it tend to get picked over and stripped of their best players - as we found in 2007. The harsh reality is that not making a quick return could see us stranded for years.

I'm amazed more people haven't suggested Adkins, he gave us 2 promotions on the trot.

No no no no, he's a failed manager apparently, really poor, he'll never achieve anything with us... :rolleyes:

He would be the obvious choice but I think, sadly, that ship has sailed. A bit like people wanting Strachan back a decade ago, I don't think it will ever happen.

I like the idea of trying to build a solid foundation in the Championship over a couple of seasons. But in practice the slow build rarely works, because at the end of the season Championship teams that have not quite made it tend to get picked over and stripped of their best players - as we found in 2007. The harsh reality is that not making a quick return could see us stranded for years.

Agree, I'd rather do a Newcastle, sign decent players, keep as many of the current squad as we can, appoint a decent manager, push straight back up. But we need Reed and co gone to do this, or we'll end up with crap signings and struggle. Building a team over a couple of seasons is risky, although I think Norwich will be stronger in their second season under Farke after he changed most of the team from the previous regime.

I'd like to sit the whole squad down at the start of summer, and anyone who doesn't want to be here next season puts their hand up, and gets shipped off at the earliest opportunity. We need players up for the fight, not passengers earning their salary and contributing nothing. Sunderland still regret the Rodwell saga.

I don't know who I want as manager yet though. Last summer I said Rodgers would be the perfect fit, no chance if (when) we go down.

Agree, I'd rather do a Newcastle, sign decent players, keep as many of the current squad as we can, appoint a decent manager, push straight back up. But we need Reed and co gone to do this, or we'll end up with crap signings and struggle. Building a team over a couple of seasons is risky, although I think Norwich will be stronger in their second season under Farke after he changed most of the team from the previous regime.

I'd like to sit the whole squad down at the start of summer, and anyone who doesn't want to be here next season puts their hand up, and gets shipped off at the earliest opportunity. We need players up for the fight, not passengers earning their salary and contributing nothing. Sunderland still regret the Rodwell saga.

I don't know who I want as manager yet though. Last summer I said Rodgers would be the perfect fit, no chance if (when) we go down.

I concur with this viewpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly, Sunderland is a unique case.

I'd argue Aston Villa were in a worse state than we currently are, and yes, that had a tricky first season, but they're flying now. Get the managerial appointment right and we'll do well. That's why I'd stick with Mark Hughes, whatever happens this season, the squad needs a major overhaul, and a bit of stability on the coaching side of things will be beneficial.

If we go into the championship looking for a new manager and coaching team , Ceo, chairman and players we will be in the dodo imo! Not saying we don't need a clear out but it would be madness to make so many changes but who do we keep out of those mentioned ? Last night I said I wouldn't keep Hughes (after first saying I would) but I think we need an experienced British manager to keep things on a bit of an even keel .

Dropping down to the championship somewhat reduces the quality of manager we can attract so for that reason I would keep hold of Hughes for his experience rather than taking on an untried and tested manager or an unkown from abroad.

What concerns me is if Reed is still here he will not allow Hughes control of player coming and goings, and what ultimately worries me is if Reed still manages to keep his job how the hell do we have any chance of progressing at all.

Dropping down to the championship somewhat reduces the quality of manager we can attract so for that reason I would keep hold of Hughes for his experience rather than taking on an untried and tested manager or an unkown from abroad.

What concerns me is if Reed is still here he will not allow Hughes control of player coming and goings, and what ultimately worries me is if Reed still manages to keep his job how the hell do we have any chance of progressing at all.

Reed keeping his job trying to pull rabbits out of the hat who are unknowns in Europe and boasting on YouTube the minute we put a good run together

I'll be staggered if we stay up so I am going to throw three names into the hat. For anyone who thinks these names are not big enough for Saints, sorry but I'm living in the real world and we should be looking for some young ambitious manager rather than just employing the usual crop who continue to get jobs without really achieving anything. We need someone who is going to work with what he has and does not need a huge budget to succeed but will also spend any money wisely.

I would suggest Paul Tisdale or Gareth Ainsworth as my first two choices then possibly Lee Johnson but I would like to see us give someone from a lower league the opportunity to achieve something at Saints similar to what Nigel Adkins did. My only reservation with Nigel Adkins is that it very rarely works second time around but I would not be against him either.

Paul Tisdale has done an amazing job with Exeter and would seem to have a job for as long as he wants it although there have been a few murmurings in recent seasons but he seems to have created a good team and also a great rapport with the fans and players.

Gareth Ainsworth was a player I rated highly but he had a lot of injuries so never really achieved what he might have done. However, he seems to have done a great job at Wycombe and has a lot of passion which I think would be a huge change from the last two managers we have had prior to Hughes.

I also think the fans need to be able to build a relationship with players again and who knows, even find a new hero. I think in the Championship, we need a strong leader and a focal point in attack, similar to when we had Dean Hammond and Rickie. Deano may not have been the best player on the planet but he was a good captain and leader on the pitch along with Fonte too.

I don't really think a lot of us supporters have a great affinity with the current crop of players to be honest, maybe I'm wrong but it definitely is not the same as it was under Nigel Adkins. We have to accept that we may not be buying Premiership players so we need to be finding the odd gem from the lower leagues as well as solid reliable players who will fight for the cause in what is a very tough league. Maybe I am being naive but I think Saints fans are generally realistic and will get behind the manager and players if we see people in the red and white shirts showing that they care and who have an affiliation for the club. Players who will run that extra bit more for their team mates to get on the end of a cross or make that goal saving tackle.

Would not mind if Hughes stayed assuming he wants it. Otherwise think that we need to hope that Fulham miss out on promotion again and offer Jokanovic lots of money. He would certainly get us playing again. Don't think we would be getting relegated if he had succeeded Puel. Although thinking about it most managers would have kept us up.

I’d suggest the problem with appointing someone like Potter is that one of the reasons he’s been successful is that he’s had time and a club who’ve bought in to letting him do some creative and different things to what he could do in English football. Plus, there’s no guarantee he’d want to come anyway for the reason he’s got a great situation. Might not be the best league but how many people get the opportunity to create something special and be happy. If we drop to league 1 and need an absolute culture shift then he could be a good shout because there’s be too many people knocking him before he got to create something as special as he has done in Sweden.

What about Paul Cook? Always sounded like a complete tosser on Solent when he was pompey manager but he has managed three promotions and two league titles and has had Wigan playing some nice stuff this season. Championship might be a step to far but the guy does seem like a winner.

Exactly, Sunderland is a unique case.

I'd argue Aston Villa were in a worse state than we currently are, and yes, that had a tricky first season, but they're flying now. Get the managerial appointment right and we'll do well. That's why I'd stick with Mark Hughes, whatever happens this season, the squad needs a major overhaul, and a bit of stability on the coaching side of things will be beneficial.

They’re ‘flying’ as they have a massive wage bill. IMO they should have got auto with that budget. Let’s see how they get on next season when they can’t afford Terry, Snodgrass, Grabban etc.

What has Hughes shown since being here? That he’s better than Pell, that’s about it. We haven’t won a league game and the football has been knock it over the top for Shane Long. He might change it up, we win 3 games and stay up, fair play if so. I don’t think he’s done enough to merit the job full time though.