The Great Escape

SNSUN

Let's say, hypothetically, we do stay up this season. Would it be a bigger Great Escape than the seasons where we had Merrington, Jones et al as our managers in the 90's?

IMO yes, as we currently lack fight, don't have a player that can win games on his own, have tough fixtures remaining and are already looking cut adrift!

Don’t talk nonsense man.

A miracle would be WBA staying up. 3 points adrift with 2 games in hand , with 7 still to play, there’s not one neutral who’ll call that a miracle if we stay up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He’s not talking nonsense though is he.

What have you seen this year that makes you think this gaggle of c***s give 1 s**t about staying up?

He’s not talking nonsense though is he.

What have you seen this year that makes you think this gaggle of c***s give 1 s**t about staying up?

Course he’s taking nonsense. If us staying up will be a miracle, what is WBA or Stoke doing so.

I don’t think future historians will look back on 2017/18 season and say “remember the great escape, when Southampton came from 3 points behind the rest, with 2 games in hand & 7 left to play”.

Please don’t tell me this great escape nonsense is going to catch on. We’ve got enough embarrassing songs without the great escape , now you’re gonna believe us, blaring out.

Course he’s taking nonsense. If us staying up will be a miracle, what is WBA or Stoke doing so.

I don’t think future historians will look back on 2017/18 season and say “remember the great escape, when Southampton came from 3 points behind the rest, with 2 games in hand & 7 left to play”.

Please don’t tell me this great escape nonsense is going to catch on. We’ve got enough embarrassing songs without the great escape , now you’re gonna believe us, blaring out.

Who mentioned the great escape? Not me. I’m agreeing it’ll be a miracle if we stay up due to the fight in the players...

3 home games left against Chelsea, Bompey and Citeh. How many points do you expect us to get from those games out of interest?

There's no getting away from it, we are in the poo and can honestly say I can't see where any points are coming from. Even the supposed easier home game v Bournemouth is going to be really tough. I'd say we are already down cos can't see us getting more than 3 draws maximum. And that's not because I'm not a proper fan that's just being realistic

As per usual in your rush to put everyone down that doesn’t share your point of view you have failed to answer the question. It being - what have you seen this year to make you believe this lot are capable or have the fight to stay up ?

There's no getting away from it, we are in the poo and can honestly say I can't see where any points are coming from. Even the supposed easier home game v Bournemouth is going to be really tough. I'd say we are already down cos can't see us getting more than 3 draws maximum. And that's not because I'm not a proper fan that's just being realistic

That would be our worst form over seven games of the whole season. Not sure that is realistic. Realistically I’d expect a slight upturn soon, but would accept it could stay the same, which would still give us more than three points. All of the bottom half fans think their team is the worst, but only West Brom are right, the rest are as awful as each other. A dodgy penalty could be the difference, or a scrappy own goal, a slip, or a Boufal goal from nothing.

It is too early to give up.

If we stay up from our current position it will be compatible to any of the previous great escapes - our run in is a nightmare, I will be surprised if we finish above Stoke. Even if the team was showing some sort of fight it would be a tough ask but they ar3 not, I genuinely believe some of them don’t care in the slightest, they will already be planning their next move.

As per usual in your rush to put everyone down that doesn’t share your point of view you have failed to answer the question. It being - what have you seen this year to make you believe this lot are capable or have the fight to stay up ?

I've seen something this year. The clown has been sacked.

Granted, the West Ham match was awful, but at least we have an experienced manager who potentially can see the massive mistakes of that formation and make the needed changes. Things are bad, but it's not over yet. Unlike if the clown were still in charge.

Who mentioned the great escape? Not me. I’m agreeing it’ll be a miracle if we stay up due to the fight in the players...

Exactly. Would be a great escape/miraculous escape in the context of how utterly **** and lacking in any kind of team spirit we are. Statistically it wouldn’t even be that much of an escape let alone a great one. Anyway, we ain’t escaping.

There sre three good club men that I would rely on in a crisis--JWP, Yoshi and Davis--not stars or genius like le Tiss was but team men. Are they all fit again? And incidentally how much did they all cost, very little, but I wouold rely on them before big money types Boufal and Carillo

All that matters is can we get 4 more points in 7 games than Huddersfield can get in 5. Personally, I think we can. The next 2 will really seal their fate. Home to Watford & Everton anything less than 4 points in those games and they’re really in the mire. Their last 3 games are horrendous.

All that matters is can we get 4 more points in 7 games than Huddersfield can get in 5. Personally, I think we can. The next 2 will really seal their fate. Home to Watford & Everton anything less than 4 points in those games and they’re really in the mire. Their last 3 games are horrendous.

That doesn't make sense?

They are 4 points ahead of us already?

You say they will be in the mire and their fate will be sealed if they fail to get 4 points from Everton and Watford. But what games is it you see US getting results from exactly? If you are suggesting they will get nothing against Chelsea, Arsenal and City what makes you think we will? They have 3 points from 27 against the top 6. We have 2.

WE are the ones who need to gain points on them. If we are being honest Arsenal, City and Chelsea are games where a draw would be a great result normally. Nobody expects us to win them. Bournemouth at home is must win. Swansea away is must win. Either Leicester away or Everton away is must win. We need bare minimum 3 wins from those 4 games.

My opinion is if we fail to win either game against Arsenal and Chelsea and they then win against a Watford team who have lost 8 of their last 10 away games we will be down.

That doesn't make sense?

You say they will be in the mire and their fate will be sealed if they fail to get 4 points from Everton and Watford. But what games is it you see US getting results from exactly? If you are suggesting they will get nothing against Chelsea, Arsenal and City what makes you think we will? They have 3 points from 27 against the top 6. We have 2.

WE are the ones who need to gain points on them. If we are being honest Arsenal, City and Chelsea are games where a draw would be a great result normally. Nobody expects us to win them. Bournemouth at home is must win. Swansea away is must win. Either Leicester away or Everton away is must win. We need bare minimum 3 wins from those 4 games.

My opinion is if we fail to win either game against Arsenal and Chelsea and they then win against a Watford team who have lost 8 of their last 10 away games we will be down.

yeah as per he’s talking crap and ignoring the question. What LD is basically saying is if Huddersfield get 4 points from those next two games we need 8 from 7, win both then we need 10 from 7. Forget anything against Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City and we have to win three minimum against Bournemouth, Swansea, Everton and Leicester. That’s a hell of a run for a team that’s won 5 out of 31 games.

He’s also forgetting Stoke are only one point behind so if Huddersfield do blow up we still need to make sure we better Stoke.....

I'm sorry but being 18th and three points behind 17th with two games in hand does not make 'A Great Escape'. ****ing hell theres some ****ing ****s on this forum.

Translated you think we will go from 1 win in 18 games to winning more than 1 of our next 7. Which includes last seasons champions, this seasons champions and a team we have not beat away in the league since 87? On the back of the performance against West Ham?

I think you might be a bit deluded mate.

We've just had three games against fellow strugglers, N'castle, Hammers and Stoke, that was our golden chance but we didn't score a single goal in any of them so.......wen will g

et wha

This was a golden chance. I suppose all that is left is 'hope' and a large slice of luck. The phrase I coined a few years ago was 'sleepwalking to relegation'. Recently adopted by many, it is a good description of our downward trend.

Many neutrals find it odd that a team 8th last season could rapidly fall, but we know our 8th position gave a false impression in a very close and crowded mid table and really only masked problems that were building up for some time.

This was a golden chance. I suppose all that is left is 'hope' and a large slice of luck. The phrase I coined a few years ago was 'sleepwalking to relegation'. Recently adopted by many, it is a good description of our downward trend.

Many neutrals find it odd that a team 8th last season could rapidly fall, but we know our 8th position gave a false impression in a very close and crowded mid table and really only masked problems that were building up for some time.

If only we'd had someone warning us this was happening. Then again, I expect he would have been ignored or, even worse, lambasted.

Well, from memory, the actual great escape season was like this

Relegation zone

Relegation zone

Bottom

Bottom

Cut adrift

Amazing resilience

Surely we have left it to late

We are safe... but, no, everyone else has won miraculously

No, we are safe

Whereas if we escape this season it will be more like

Mid table

Mid table still but playing awfully

Getting towards danger but all the “experts” saying we are far too good and players still talking about Europe

Teetering above relegation zone - loosing lots of six pointers but still well in our own hands

Just dipping into relegation zone but with games in hand

Finally getting a few points and staying up*

* I think unlikely

I’m not sure they would make a film of the second one.

Translated you think we will go from 1 win in 18 games to winning more than 1 of our next 7. Which includes last seasons champions, this seasons champions and a team we have not beat away in the league since 87? On the back of the performance against West Ham?

I think you might be a bit deluded mate.

He didn't say that we would do it. He said, rightly, that it's not a 'great escape'.

That doesn't make sense?

It does make sense. Whether it's likely is another question.

He didn't say that we would do it. He said, rightly, that it's not a 'great escape'.

It does make sense. Whether it's likely is another question.

All things are possible but most are highly unlikely statistically we had one great escape but because it was great I don't really seeing it happening again.

We can only survive if we start winning and we can only win if we score goals so lets hope it starts in a few hours but it is not the end of the world there is always the FA Cup and next season