Arsenal Post Match

Dusic

Agree with the bit about welbeck but other than that he was ok today imo

He wasn't. Two of the goals came directly from his poor positoning and lack of physicality.

VVD or Fonte for e.g. would have cut out that third girl before it reached Welbecks head. He's not good enough. He's one of the main reasons we are where we are.

Unfair to criticise Stephens for the red IMHO, anyone would have reacted to having their shirt ripped off their back and it was hardly violent conduct, he only pushed him away !

Mcguire did the same thing yesterday after being pulled back by Gayle and only got a yellow. MOTD pundits were praising the ref for common sense in not sending him off.

So Stephens is the new scapegoat.... Got to be one I suppose, it's the forum mob way...

Please do feel free to explain how the criticism is unjustified. He’s not a PL defender and has cost us a lot of goals with his mistakes this season. Hard to blame him as he simply isn’t good enough but today’s game reminded me just how much better Yoshida is than him. Still, if you think people wanting Yosh to start ahead of him is unfair, let’s hear it.

Agree with the bit about welbeck but other than that he was ok today imo

He was all over the place today, especially in the first half. He's shown time and time again that he's not up to the required standard. The fault is not with him its with those who haven't replaced his predecessors effectively.

Agree but the nub of the problem is we've left it too ****ing long. FAR too ****ing long. We haven't got time to wait to "start winning games very soon" we need to win them NOW. Anyone with a 5th of a brain and zero footballing knowledge could've seen that Pellegrino wasn't up to it months ago. Yet instead of making the painfully obvious change we decide to give him January and the opportunity to buy the most pointless anti-footballer I have ever seen in Carillo like it was the only thing missing in his masterplan and it would all come good.

Unfortunately you are spot on with this,what makes it all so galling is that the only people that could have prevented all this are the ones that couldn't see it coming.

He wasn't. Two of the goals came directly from his poor positoning and lack of physicality.

VVD or Fonte for e.g. would have cut out that third girl before it reached Welbecks head. He's not good enough. He's one of the main reasons we are where we are.

Exactly. It’s Reed’s fault for leaving us without PL standard defenders but 2/3 goals we conceded today were down to Stephens. For me, he’s one where we will look back in 5 years time and he will be playing for some mid table League 1 side and we will think it completely and inevitable that we went down with him as our starter CB. He’s the 2018 equivalent of Davenport, the only difference is that he’s come through our own youth ranks and therefore gets a much wider berth from most Saints fans.

So Stephens is the new scapegoat.... Got to be one I suppose, it's the forum mob way...

It's not a case of scapegoating. It is just obvious that he isn't a competent centre back at this level. I still think he could make it as a midfielder. (Also I'm not sure that we have any competent centre backs at this level).

It's not a case of scapegoating. It is just obvious that he isn't a competent centre back at this level. I still think he could make it as a midfielder. (Also I'm not sure that we have any competent centre backs at this level).
Perhaps Bertrand could fill in there. Although I didn't think he cared much today

Negatives: No points and closer to the precipice. The winner? More pussy defending from Tadic, and Cedric beaten at the far post again - both are utterly predictable weaknesses that we don't seem able to cover.

Positives: Some real fight for the first time in ages, Long and Austin seem up for the battle ahead, and now we'll be forced into (what Hughes didn't yet know is) IMO our best CB pairing.

At least there's now some room for straw-clutching.

Battled much harder than of late and looked pretty good going forward at times. Really liked the attitude, spirit and combativeness of Long and PEH in particular. At the end of day, though, it's zero points so probably just another nail in the ****ing coffin; but, having said that, I'm slightly more optimistic than I was last week.

Think i ve seen enough today to think that we will be OK.

I saw enough passion fight and attacking football to suggest we will start winning games very soon.

Delusional, we are odds on for relegation too little way too late!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Give the team some credit today. At least we attacked with conviction and our second goal was fantastic. Arsenal we’re lucky and didn’t deserve to win but our defensive frailties were exposed. If we can play like that for the last few games, we can stay up, then we can start the inquests. Let’s get behind the team and manager, we can do it and in my option will do it, that was a team today, not a collection of individuals, some of the keyboard ****wits on here need to get down to SMS and support the team rather than sitting on their laptops watching live feeds and ****ing moaning on a forum.

If we play like that against Bompey, Leicester, Everton and Swansea we might get enough points to stay up. Might. Only might. But anyone saying it’s already over is talking bollokks

The vast majority here have been saying it's over for weeks if not months. Pathetic really, it's not the way to support your club. I still think we'll be ok.

Perhaps Bertrand could fill in there. Although I didn't think he cared much today

Yes. He did it alright under Koeman. I'd be more confident in a back 5 the same as today but with Bertrand moved inside as part of a 3 and Mcqueen in at LB and no Stephens at all.

Bertrand played well today you plumb
that's your opinion. Do you recall in the first half where it was obviously going for their corner and he made no effort to kick it for a corner.I rarely criticise him as he is one of the quality players in the team but today he didn't seem to ME that he cared.

Two goal assists for Cedric - and two pretty abject pieces of defending costing us goals from Cedric. Cedric giveth and Cedric taketh away.

Moderately spirited effort by the team. Too little too late, obviously, and we're still weak defensively and uninspired going forward, but hey: small mercies and all that.

I wonder if Bertrand is planning on going an entire season without once breaking into a sprint...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Two goal assists for Cedric - and two pretty abject pieces of defending costing us goals from Cedric. Cedric giveth and Cedric taketh away.

Moderately spirited effort by the team. Too little too late, obviously, and we're still weak defensively and uninspired going forward, but hey: small mercies and all that.

I wonder if Bertrand is planning on going an entire season without once breaking into a sprint...

You don't think McCarthy coming out for a ball 2 yards from his goal line might be more of an issue than a 5'5" RB getting out jumped by a 6'1" striker?

You don't think McCarthy coming out for a ball 2 yards from his goal line might be more of an issue than a 5'5" RB getting out jumped by a 6'1" striker?
Personally I thought he didn't have that option. The cross should have been stopped Tadic is not a defender and let Iwobi cross it in. McCarthy is not to blame for our defeat, he kept us in the game with a couple of good saves, especially the Xhaka shot

Welbeck came in a long way from the wing. At any point, Cedric - who was marking no-one - could've engaged him and made it difficult to get a free run and jump at it.

The frequency with which he gets bested on the back post isn't a coincidence. Plenty of fullbacks over the years have been diminutive in stature without being a total liability.

Welbeck came in a long way from the wing. At any point, Cedric - who was marking no-one - could've engaged him and made it difficult to get a free run and jump at it.

The frequency with which he gets bested on the back post isn't a coincidence. Plenty of fullbacks over the years have been diminutive in stature without being a total liability.

Cedric is a poor fullback, ok he did set up the goal but look at his crossing and defending at the back post, hes bang average.

The vast majority here have been saying it's over for weeks if not months. Pathetic really, it's not the way to support your club. I still think we'll be ok.

Optimism versus realism , yes we can stay up but unless we stop concreeding three goals a game, it AIN'T going to happen.

Cedric is a poor fullback, ok he did set up the goal but look at his crossing and defending at the back post, hes bang average.

He put in more good crosses than any other player today including for both goals. Criticise by all means but at least have some semblance of fact about it. And what is your basis for McCarthy 'not having the option' to come for a cross two yards out? Because he had made some good saves already? Strange.

As others have said, much improved and unlike last week where we were on the train home disgusted with the players I saw points in that performance if replicated in our other away games. Ultimately though I think our fate will be determined by the next two Saturdays up in Huddersfield. They play at home to Watford and Everton. I then don't see them picking up any points in May so next fortnight is crucial.

The team tried. They fought hard and very nearly got something from the game.

The fact that they didn't was because they are not good enough when pitched against one of the top Premier League sides.

Yes we have weaknesses but today WE HAD A TEAM THAT PLAYED FOR EACH OTHER.

For that I am grateful.

Stephens joined us as a rb not a cb. McQueen began life as a striker and I believe could be a left midfield but has not let us down as lb when used. Stephens might be better as rb.

All thoughts running around as I look for answers to our weaknesses though Stephens 3 day ban sorts out one line of thought.

He put in more good crosses than any other player today including for both goals. Criticise by all means but at least have some semblance of fact about it. And what is your basis for McCarthy 'not having the option' to come for a cross two yards out? Because he had made some good saves already? Strange.
it was a cross that would not be easy to take, you make out as though it came across the box in front of him. Cedrics job isn't just the odd decent cross, he had put at least one about 10 ft over the attackers.