Five at the back without Stephens...?

SaintJackoInHurworth

I was one of the first to call for us to try out five at the back following the inept display against West Ham and I think it proved to be a right decision by Hughes to play that system. Unfortunately, however, with Stephens suspended for three games we cannot play the same five at the back in the next game. So, it got me thinking whether we can still play that way despite the loss of Stephens.

My first thought was that we could play Gardos, but judging by the fact that numerous managers have passed him over given the opportunity to select him I think we can conclude that it is unlikely that Hughes will risk playing him as the third centre back.

Another potentially better option, however, would be to play Bertrand in the centre and someone else at left back. The obvious alternative for left back is McQueen, but he is injured, so it is maybe a question of whther he will be 100% fit for our next game. Another option may be to play Pied or Cedric at left back. While they are, in theory, both right backs, I think both are capable of playing at left back.

A similar option would be to play Pied at centre back. I seem to remember he can play at either full back or centre back.

The final option would be to bring in one of the youngsters - maybe Alfie Jones, for example.

What do you think? Should we just go back to four at the back or should we try to play five at the back again? And if we go for five at the back, which five would you select?

---------------McCarthy----------------

-----Yoshida-Hoedt-Bertrand---------

-Cedric--Romeu-Hojbjerg--McQueen-

--JWP---------------------Tadic--------

-----------------Long-------------------

Subs; Forster, Bednarek, Pied, Lemina, Redmond (or Boufal), Austin, Gabbiadini.

I was one of the first to call for us to try out five at the back following the inept display against West Ham and I think it proved to be a right decision by Hughes to play that system. Unfortunately, however, with Stephens suspended for three games we cannot play the same five at the back in the next game. So, it got me thinking whether we can still play that way despite the loss of Stephens.

My first thought was that we could play Gardos, but judging by the fact that numerous managers have passed him over given the opportunity to select him I think we can conclude that it is unlikely that Hughes will risk playing him as the third centre back.

Another potentially better option, however, would be to play Bertrand in the centre and someone else at left back. The obvious alternative for left back is McQueen, but he is injured, so it is maybe a question of whther he will be 100% fit for our next game. Another option may be to play Pied or Cedric at left back. While they are, in theory, both right backs, I think both are capable of playing at left back.

A similar option would be to play Pied at centre back. I seem to remember he can play at either full back or centre back.

The final option would be to bring in one of the youngsters - maybe Alfie Jones, for example.

What do you think? Should we just go back to four at the back or should we try to play five at the back again? And if we go for five at the back, which five would you select?

Yes. Been calling for this for a while. McQueen has a knock anyway, let Jones come in and keep Bertrand on the wing. Win Games. Stay up. Let Reed go. Then rebuild : )

Are Yoshida, Hoedt and Bertrand all left-footed? Won't work if they are.

I think Yoshida is either right-footed or two-footed isn't he? There is an article from back when we fisrt signed him that talks about him playing on either the right or left side, including as full-back: https://premierskillsenglish.britishcouncil.org/players/player-profiles/maya-yoshida-player-profile.

I think Bertrand as a third CB is a good shout actually. Get a bit of freshness and energy with McQueen as LWB, could work.

Yes - I think McQueen has not been given enough chance this season. It is just a shame he is injured at present. However, if he is not fit enough for the next game then I don't think we have much alternative but to keep Bertrand at left back.

---------------McCarthy----------------

-----Yoshida-Hoedt-Bertrand---------

-Cedric--Romeu-Hojbjerg--McQueen-

--JWP---------------------Tadic--------

-----------------Long-------------------

Subs; Forster, Bednarek, Pied, Lemina, Redmond (or Boufal), Austin, Gabbiadini.

That looks good, but I wonder whether we should be thinking about using Austin... though maybe bringing him on as a sub like today is not a bad idea?

Yes. Been calling for this for a while. McQueen has a knock anyway, let Jones come in and keep Bertrand on the wing. Win Games. Stay up. Let Reed go. Then rebuild : )

I'd love to see Jones get his chance at some stage, but is he ready for this yet? Or is it a big risk for such a crucial match and against a team that only last season won the Premier League?! Is Jones ahead of Will Wood and Jan Bednarek in the reckoning?

He's not even at the club anymore :mcinnes:

Bertrand played as a three a couple of times under Koeman.

FYI Gardos is out on loan.

Yes, another brilliant move by Leslie ****ing Reed.

As others have mentioned, instead we can play Bertrand as the third CB. Then bring in Targett at LB.

Oh wait, he's out on loan too. :mcinnes:

Yes, another brilliant move by Leslie ****ing Reed.

As others have mentioned, instead we can play Bertrand as the third CB. Then bring in Targett at LB.

Oh wait, he's out on loan too. :mcinnes:

Plus McQueen has an injury according to the pre-match pressers for the Arsenal game so he’s doubtful as a replacement LB in this formation. Not sure if his injury is long term.

Would have thought that Bednarek is next in line as replacement CB !

Not saying that he’ll change our fortunes but it would save others being played out of position !

Another truly WTF signing in our long line of WTF signings.