Chelsea (H) Build up thread

vince

I like Sims, but defensively he has a lot to learn. Everyone berated Stephens and Cedric for Arsenal’s third, but if you watch Sims he is stood on the edge of the area ball watching...not the actions of a player that understands the predicament we’re in or the stature of a player that could make a difference defensively. Not entirely his fault...he’s not been near the first team consistently enough it could be argued to gain from that experience.

I still have a spare ticket for this game if anyone is interested.

to make me an offer?

Ok.....I have 2 marbles. a conker, a picture card of Bobby Charlton, a Sherbet Dib-Dab and a half chewed toffee?

:p:D

​I might grow up one day!

Edited by John Boy Saint

Depends if he has the certified fight pedigree of the conker and the liquorice straw in the sherbet dip.

Liquorice straw is intact, plus beautifully enhanced with a light coating of pocket dust (maybe even a bit of bogey), conker is a twenty-er........... crikey! going on Pilchards valuation, find another marble and I should be in the market for an executive box!!!

No McQueen or Davis either. Not sure Long was the right way to go for Chelsea anyway, would be tempted to start Gabbiadini.

I wouldn't - the guy looks totally shot of confidence. Has to be Austin and play one up top. Long will be a big miss given how well he played on Sunday.

I wouldn't - the guy looks totally shot of confidence. Has to be Austin and play one up top. Long will be a big miss given how well he played on Sunday.

looked. Long didn't exactly look full of confidence either, but new manager and style helped to bring it back. We need someone with a bit more finesse than Shane to play against Chelsea, ideally I would play Austin, but he doesn't give the impression that he could do the full 90 yet. We all know Gabbi is top class given the right service, think he would be a better bet than Long for this one, and if Long is not fully fit (which Hughes confirmed he has only been back training today).

looked. Long didn't exactly look full of confidence either, but new manager and style helped to bring it back. We need someone with a bit more finesse than Shane to play against Chelsea, ideally I would play Austin, but he doesn't give the impression that he could do the full 90 yet. We all know Gabbi is top class given the right service, think he would be a better bet than Long for this one, and if Long is not fully fit (which Hughes confirmed he has only been back training today).

Do we?

I mean apart from the first month or two, he's been largely terrible, doesn't look particularly interested, and doesn't seem to fit into the team.

From this afternoon's press conference....

- Davis (& Stephens) the only confirmed absentee from the squad, due to a new injury (achilles)

- Hughes considering starting Bednarek to maintain same defensive formation as vs Arsenal

Edit: bugger.... I went to all that effort to copy this across from the semi-final thread only to be beaten to it. Life is fraught right now :)

There are still a few question marks concerning Long’s availability but it sounds promising...

“Shane is okay, even if he hasn’t been with the group until today,” he added. “If he doesn’t get a reaction later on and trains well tomorrow then he’ll be in the squad.”

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-04-12/team-news-mark-hughes-southampton-chelsea-premier-league-1718

From this afternoon's press conference....

- Davis (& Stephens) the only confirmed absentee from the squad, due to a new injury (achilles)

- Hughes considering starting Bednarek to maintain same defensive formation as vs Arsenal

Edit: bugger.... I went to all that effort to copy this across from the semi-final thread only to be beaten to it. Life is fraught right now :)

Someone should have followed up about Sam McQueen as well, think he is long term absentee and Hughes seems to forget about him unless asked specifically. Shame cos he could do a job that lets Bertrand played in a back 3 which we know he can do well.

Someone should have followed up about Sam McQueen as well, think he is long term absentee and Hughes seems to forget about him unless asked specifically. Shame cos he could do a job that lets Bertrand played in a back 3 which we know he can do well.

It’s odd if he didn’t mention him. Hughes said that he was considering going with Bednarek as a Stephens replacement, or reverting to a back four, which implies that McQueen won’t be covering for Bertrand.

I think Long is largely an absolutely terrible striker but he was good on Sunday and a large part of our improved display.

Vital to have some movement and an out ball against the better teams who dominate possession.

Hughes said he hasnt trained til today after a knock at Arsenal but I think if available he should definitely start.

Austin a great option from the bench but would end up isolated if starting on his own, because he can't really run and we won't have much of the ball.

England have been playing with a back three so Bertrand might be keen to show he can play that role as well.

I’d be tempted to go three at the back, McQueen and Cedric wing backs, Lemina, PH and Romeo in the middle and Long and Austin up front.

I wonder if instead of the 3421 / 3511 against the Arse we will go for a more traditional 352 with Long and Austin up front. We would probably sacrifice some creativity but Long's pace could cause the Chelsea CBs some difficulties.

Just seen the other teams fixtures for tomorrow! **** me, lose to Chelsea and we might be 6 adrift by the end of the day. That’s game over.

Thats why if we then lose to Leicester(aka the week from hell) when we play Bournemouth they could relegate us. Its so possible its both scary and depressing

England have been playing with a back three so Bertrand might be keen to show he can play that role as well.

I’d be tempted to go three at the back, McQueen and Cedric wing backs, Lemina, PH and Romeo in the middle and Long and Austin up front.

When I first read your post I thought 'What a daft idea'. However, after further consideration, I agree with you. Desperate times. We really must throw our hat in the ring. Yes three at the back and let's hope we perform up front!

This really is our last chance, even a draw may not be enough with our rivals' fixtures. We need a bit of inspiration from somewhere and the sort of performance we've not seen at home for two years. It's a big ask but just hoping Hughes can get the best out of us. Massive day tomorrow. It's been a shocking season but lets all get behind the team. COYR

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Only thing i'm optimistic about this Saturday is drinking too many beers. I fear we could get an absolute hiding from this lot. Our current predicament should at least mean there's vocal support for the team, which they really will need.

Before or after? Pre-match anaesthesia is slightly limited by the very early kick off, and as I tend not to drink when depressed afterwards is probably out too.. Plus I'm playing on Sunday and should be good. That all goes out the window though if my some fluke of luck we win.

For what exactly?
well you're seemingly the most intelligent guy on here so thought you may have worked it out.

I was referring to survival from relegation. I believe we must win today to keep our hopes alive. But then of course I'm sure you will be quick to point out how this is not the case as there are still 15 points to play for after today.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We need something out of this game - a well deserved or completely undeserved point, doesn't matter, we have to get something out of the game.

I can't quite see us winning because defensively we are so shocking. At least a point won't cut us off completely and gives us something ahead of Leicester.

In every season there's always a week where a bunch of relegation threatened teams suddenly all win and looking at the fixtures that looks likely today.

Massive massive game today. Must win, no ifs, not buts. COYR

but we won't.... we've being saying something similar every week for a while now sadly the players don't seem to agree I expect another inept display of half arsedness from the players with us being undone by a lack of concentration or unenforced cock up.

but we won't.... we've being saying something similar every week for a while now sadly the players don't seem to agree I expect another inept display of half arsedness from the players with us being undone by a lack of concentration or unenforced cock up.

Rationally I agree. But, in football form does not always fit the outcome. We need a massive amount of luck and anything, including the scrappiest win will do.