Saints 2 Chelsea 3

St Chalet

Being totally honest, I didn’t expect us to win today prior to ko. To then be 2-0 I couldn’t see us losing at half time. Then the different Chelsea came out for the second half. We fell to pieces.

How that arrogant **** Mike Dean didn’t see that Alonso foul ........

Being totally honest, I didn’t expect us to win today prior to ko. To then be 2-0 I couldn’t see us losing at half time. Then the different Chelsea came out for the second half. We fell to pieces.

He saw it but ignored it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Despite being an eternal pessimist I still think we may claw our way out of this. It quite often happens that a team who look totally ****ed at this stage claw their way out of it. Poopeylol did it, Fulham did it, Oldham had a nine point deficit with 3 games to go and still feckin stayed up on goal difference. We have to beat Leicester and if we don't it is over. If we can play as we have for most of the last 2 games against weaker opposition we should pick up points. 7 may just be enough. I do admit that like a scarecrow attempting to have a **** I am clutching at straws here.

I do agree we still have a chance, it's not that crazy a view!;)

But the manner of the defeat today will have hurt badly. With confidence low already I just can't see the players recovering from this one sadly. I'd love to be wrong though.

Point of order Norm, we went 2-0 up after half time. Agree with the sentiments though.

I'm quite looking forward to the season in the second division in August. We might actually play some more entertaining football with reasonable frequency and actually win some matches at home. The STs will be cheaper and more matches will be played at 3pm on a Saturday, instead of at 12.30 or 5.50, or on a Sunday. I won't miss playing the glory teams with the referee bias that is shown to them, or the dirty cheating foreign mercenaries that play for them. If any of our mercenaries want to f*ck off and play elsewhere, then good riddance. Any who want to stay and show some pride in wearing the shirt here, then you're welcome. With luck, the board will have a clear out, too, as the appointment of the last two managers and the failure to sack the most incompetent one on our entire history of the club in time to give us a chance of survival in the PL demonstrates clearly that they are incompetent and a liability.

Yes, it was great when we had Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman and played attractive attacking football and feared no team in the PL. But frankly, I preferred the progress we made from the lower divisions under Adkins to what we have had these past two seasons. "The Southampton Way" finished many months ago and "We march on" is just a joke.

Regarding today, the 45 minutes of the first half was really very good, but the capitulation in that 10 minutes of madness was all the more galling as a result. But what do we expect when the board failed to replace the linchpins of our defence or the strikers who actually scored more than a handful of goals a season? Hughes is better than Pellegrino, but when all is said and done, we replaced the worst manager in our history with the one who was sacked by the team below us, with no time to make a difference. Apparently Hughes has never had a team relegated that he managed, so we will be the first.

The whole season is a giant f*ck-up, and I'd rather that we started again in the second division and got back to basics.

As for the referee, I read somewhere from some Chelsea fans that Mike Dean always favours them and so it proved, the bent incompetent tw*t.

I do agree we still have a chance, it's not that crazy a view!;)

But the manner of the defeat today will have hurt badly. With confidence low already I just can't see the players recovering from this one sadly. I'd love to be wrong though.

Don't get me wrong I fully expect us to go down now, but I just have this feeling we can turn it around. It all depends on this Leicester game. If we were to somehow squeak a win there we would be looking at a home match against Bournemouth to potentially be ONE point behind Huddersfield with them having City and Chelsea away and Arsenal at home left.

The problem is that Chelsea had several top class international players, we didn't.

Have we anyone approaching the class of Giroud. Hazard, Willian, Alonso and many more.

Our problem early in the season. at was down to gross mismanagement a team and board level.

The tragedy is that even after losing all our best players we still had better players than most outside the top six to eight clubs,

It was leadership that was so sadly lacking.

I'm quite looking forward to the season in the second division in August. We might actually play some more entertaining football with reasonable frequency and actually win some matches at home. The STs will be cheaper and more matches will be played at 3pm on a Saturday, instead of at 12.30 or 5.50, or on a Sunday. I won't miss playing the glory teams with the referee bias that is shown to them, or the dirty cheating foreign mercenaries that play for them. If any of our mercenaries want to f*ck off and play elsewhere, then good riddance. Any who want to stay and show some pride in wearing the shirt here, then you're welcome. With luck, the board will have a clear out, too, as the appointment of the last two managers and the failure to sack the most incompetent one on our entire history of the club in time to give us a chance of survival in the PL demonstrates clearly that they are incompetent and a liability.

Yes, it was great when we had Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman and played attractive attacking football and feared no team in the PL. But frankly, I preferred the progress we made from the lower divisions under Adkins to what we have had these past two seasons. "The Southampton Way" finished many months ago and "We march on" is just a joke.

Regarding today, the 45 minutes of the first half was really very good, but the capitulation in that 10 minutes of madness was all the more galling as a result. But what do we expect when the board failed to replace the linchpins of our defence or the strikers who actually scored more than a handful of goals a season? Hughes is better than Pellegrino, but when all is said and done, we replaced the worst manager in our history with the one who was sacked by the team below us, with no time to make a difference. Apparently Hughes has never had a team relegated that he managed, so we will be the first.

The whole season is a giant f*ck-up, and I'd rather that we started again in the second division and got back to basics.

As for the referee, I read somewhere from some Chelsea fans that Mike Dean always favours them and so it proved, the bent incompetent tw*t.

Good write-up Les.

We had posts like this in 2005 too...

£330 million of player sales since Les took over "everything", despite all the premier league riches.... Not a single protest at our "management"

Name me another club that would allow star players to be sold over n over n over without compliant and I'll retract my statement.

Perhaps someone could explain how a club can retain a player who refuses to sign a new contract, or like Van Dijk loses form when refused a move. Anyone who doesn’t understand that players can force moves when they want to, hasn't been paying attention.

Perhaps someone could explain how a club can retain a player who refuses to sign a new contract, or like Van Dijk loses form when refused a move. Anyone who doesn’t understand that players can force moves when they want to, hasn't been paying attention.

Maybe don't open the flood gates like we did in the first place because once agents know they are open its hard to close them again !

Did anyone note that our leader and owner GAO was there today? Maybe he is over to see the Leicester match and then a trip to London.

At least going to Leicester he can nip into Bicester Village like every other Chinese visitor to our fair land.

Probably here to make sure everything is going to plan with regards to our falling through the trap door so he can syphon off a lump of the parachute payment to service his debt.

At least going to Leicester he can nip into Bicester Village like every other Chinese visitor to our fair land.

Probably here to make sure everything is going to plan with regards to our falling through the trap door so he can syphon off a lump of the parachute payment to service his debt.

I think he'd rather syphon off a lump of the £100m+ Sky PL money if we don't get relegated.

woken up down under and still not over it. that stung. Looked like the saints of old for first 60 mins, and then confidence just disappeared as soon as they got 1 back. Got to remember these lot were champions and still quality team.

I dunno maybe I'm delusional but if we play like that in last 5 games we could get a few wins. But feels like it is all a bit too late!

In other news 10,000 miles away in Sydney in a pub - Chelsea fans still the worst kind of people on the planet.

Not sure if you were around last time got relegated Wes but none of those things happened. Season ticket remained the same price and the football remained pretty poor. Things only changed with Markus & Nicola

Sorry folks. The loss on Saturday was my fault. On 65 minutes I popped to the kitchen to grab a celebratory beer while listening to the match.

If I didn't get a premature beer, all would've been fine.

It won't happen again.

I knew there was an explanation for it. Shame on you, sir.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Apart from the arrogant, ridiculous Mike Dean's decision after the free kick was taken from the wrong place, called it back, pointed behind Fabregas who then took it two yards nearer the goal instead. The usually pedantic Dean should have insisted, taken the ball back again and placed it on the spot where he thought Hazard was fouled on the halfway line rather than yards in front of where the advantage was stopped.

However, one Saints player could have stopped that goal happening. He switched off, showed a pathetic lack of awareness and competitive attitude. Hojbjerg took the ball off Hazard then was penalised but unchallenged he had the ball at his feet. He turned it over to Fabregas and backed off. At the very least, remembering his previous yellow he should have rolled the ball back to the halfway line where Dean was pointing. He could have picked it up and handed it to the referee. His lack of awareness was ridiculous for an international player.

I have no doubt if the boot was on the other foot Chelsea would not have allowed us to take that free kick. If Hojbjerg had even stood over the ball and not backed off the free kick would have been moved back ten yards and I have no doubt in my mind the circumstances that led to the cross would not have occurred.

Apart from the arrogant, ridiculous Mike Dean's decision after the free kick was taken from the wrong place, called it back, pointed behind Fabregas who then took it two yards nearer the goal instead. The usually pedantic Dean should have insisted, taken the ball back again and placed it on the spot where he thought Hazard was fouled on the halfway line rather than yards in front of where the advantage was stopped.

However, one Saints player could have stopped that goal happening. He switched off, showed a pathetic lack of awareness and competitive attitude. Hojbjerg took the ball off Hazard then was penalised but unchallenged he had the ball at his feet. He turned it over to Fabregas and backed off. At the very least, remembering his previous yellow he should have rolled the ball back to the halfway line where Dean was pointing. He could have picked it up and handed it to the referee. His lack of awareness was ridiculous for an international player.

I have no doubt if the boot was on the other foot Chelsea would not have allowed us to take that free kick. If Hojbjerg had even stood over the ball and not backed off the free kick would have been moved back ten yards and I have no doubt in my mind the circumstances that led to the cross would not have occurred.

It wasn’t nearer our goal, but do you realise how pathetic it is complaining that the kick was taken a few yards further infield? It doesn’t matter where Dean was pointing, it’s not as though he had sprayed a pile of shaving foam on the spot. It was actually taken from where he thought the offence had occurred.

They took a quick free kick, we were caught out by it. We should have used every trick in the book to break up the game but there was a lot of inexperience out there.

Højbjerg was childish when he kicked the ball into the stand and got booked for it. That held him back from then on.

Not sure if you were around last time got relegated Wes but none of those things happened. Season ticket remained the same price and the football remained pretty poor. Things only changed with Markus & Nicola

I most certainly was around, having been a ST holder for 25 years. When you say that none of those things happened, that isn't strictly true. Granted that under Lowe he didn't lower the ST prices, but then again, one wouldn't have expected him too, it being Lowe. As you say, things didn't really begin to look up until Liebherr bought us. But then again, the situation in PL football has also changed since then with even more matches being rescheduled for TV, PL season ticket prices much higher, more foreign players, etc.

If we go down and ticket prices don't decrease, then the ST sales will plummet. We will suffer fewer fixture changes because TV will be less interested in us unless we are playing the glory teams in a cup match. We will be inclined to go back to signing more British players and relying more on our academy players and we will win more matches than we have this season.

It wasn’t nearer our goal, but do you realise how pathetic it is complaining that the kick was taken a few yards further infield? It doesn’t matter where Dean was pointing, it’s not as though he had sprayed a pile of shaving foam on the spot. It was actually taken from where he thought the offence had occurred.

They took a quick free kick, we were caught out by it. We should have used every trick in the book to break up the game but there was a lot of inexperience out there.

Højbjerg was childish when he kicked the ball into the stand and got booked for it. That held him back from then on.

Talking about Chelski cheating at moving the ball forward for free kicks, I remember Willian moving the ball forward several yards last year and scoring from that free kick. Had it been taken at the correct place, it would have been virtually impossible to have scored from there. Most teams try and gain some advantage from doing this, or taking throw-ins from much further forward. We are either naive or too honest to do much of this ourselves and had we been more cynical, we might have gained a few more points from it. I don't condone it, but if others do it, why shouldn't we?

Talking about Chelski cheating at moving the ball forward for free kicks, I remember Willian moving the ball forward several yards last year and scoring from that free kick. Had it been taken at the correct place, it would have been virtually impossible to have scored from there. Most teams try and gain some advantage from doing this, or taking throw-ins from much further forward. We are either naive or too honest to do much of this ourselves and had we been more cynical, we might have gained a few more points from it. I don't condone it, but if others do it, why shouldn't we?

It’s a sad part of modern professional football that this cheating ‘gamesmanship’ goes on, and has been since I started going over 50 years ago.

From The Times this morning:

“Southampton are too nice and that has got to change, says Mark Hughes”

Mark Hughes stood in his technical area wishing he could see more fouls, more cynicism from his players as they conceded three goals in eight second-half minutes that could come to define the hellishness of Southampton’s entire season. It is not over, not yet, but when these two teams meet again on Sunday in the FA Cup semi-final, the occasion could feel macabre rather than carefree.

Hughes said it was “difficult” for him to watch the team let a two-goal lead slip away so dramatically.

“It was that case of thinking, ‘Come on guys, you need to understand what’s happening here’,” the Southampton manager said. “Sometimes you have to have the ability, some would say it’s a skill, to knock people over in the right areas of the field. We are probably a little bit too honest in that regard.”

I most certainly was around, having been a ST holder for 25 years. When you say that none of those things happened, that isn't strictly true. Granted that under Lowe he didn't lower the ST prices, but then again, one wouldn't have expected him too, it being Lowe. As you say, things didn't really begin to look up until Liebherr bought us. But then again, the situation in PL football has also changed since then with even more matches being rescheduled for TV, PL season ticket prices much higher, more foreign players, etc.

If we go down and ticket prices don't decrease, then the ST sales will plummet. We will suffer fewer fixture changes because TV will be less interested in us unless we are playing the glory teams in a cup match. We will be inclined to go back to signing more British players and relying more on our academy players and we will win more matches than we have this season.

I wasn't at the match because of knee surgery. I did however have the benefit of the TV, live match, MOTD, Goals on sunday and the Monday review and I can categorically assure you the foul (if there was one) occurred on or before the halfway line. The advantage was over ten yards until Hojbjerg won the ball. The free kick was passed to the right from where Hojbjerg left the ball. Dean called that back and Fabregas took the ball another two yards forward before passing. Players should be aware, if the other side is readily prepared to grab an advantage it's down to our players to counter that. Hojbjerg should have intervened and if he had, that goal would not have occurred as it did as the circumstances would have been changed. It's not cynical it's common sense.

It was actually taken from more or less the right place.The confusion is because people think that it was given for the first "tackle" by JWP inside the Chelsea half. It wasn't it was given for the second one inside Saints half, as clearly indicated by Dean gesturing to play on at the time. For all his faults, Dean was actually pretty much spot on with this decision and its aftermath (Dermot Gallagher tried to clarify this on Sky, his clarification was awful and confused but it was correct if you could see through his muddled explanation).

The problem, as so often this season is that our midfield either don't stop dangerous attacks or give away stupid free kicks in dangerous positions. Then our defenders get blamed for the consequences. In many cases it is not our defenders that are the problem, but our midfield, Lemina, Romeu, Hojbjerg, JWP, Tadic, Davis, Redmond, Boufal all have been quilty often of causing goals by their defensive ineptitude at various times. But the so-called Forum experts blame Stephens, Cedric, Bertie and Hoedt (Hoedt has been guilty several times of awful individual errors of course). Chelsea's second goal could easily have been prevented if Tadic had been marking Hazard instead of standing watching what was going on, hand on hips.

woken up down under and still not over it. that stung. Looked like the saints of old for first 60 mins, and then confidence just disappeared as soon as they got 1 back. Got to remember these lot were champions and still quality team.

I dunno maybe I'm delusional but if we play like that in last 5 games we could get a few wins. But feels like it is all a bit too late!

In other news 10,000 miles away in Sydney in a pub - Chelsea fans still the worst kind of people on the planet.

That "We've won it all" chant sums the club up with banners like Crawley Blues. The reason they support Chelsea is they have won it all.

The coaches from various parts of the south east I followed up the Avenue shows the poor souls need a Disney football club rather than a local Quentin Tarantino one .

Let's enjoy the ride where ever the Saints take and torment us.

If you watch Willian whenever a free kick is awarded against Chelsea he makes a point of standing in front of the ball to prevent a quick kick being taken.

I was taught to do that at 10 years old, it's basic stuff.

It was actually taken from more or less the right place.The confusion is because people think that it was given for the first "tackle" by JWP inside the Chelsea half. It wasn't it was given for the second one inside Saints half, as clearly indicated by Dean gesturing to play on at the time. For all his faults, Dean was actually pretty much spot on with this decision and its aftermath (Dermot Gallagher tried to clarify this on Sky, his clarification was awful and confused but it was correct if you could see through his muddled explanation).

The problem, as so often this season is that our midfield either don't stop dangerous attacks or give away stupid free kicks in dangerous positions. Then our defenders get blamed for the consequences. In many cases it is not our defenders that are the problem, but our midfield, Lemina, Romeu, Hojbjerg, JWP, Tadic, Davis, Redmond, Boufal all have been quilty often of causing goals by their defensive ineptitude at various times. But the so-called Forum experts blame Stephens, Cedric, Bertie and Hoedt (Hoedt has been guilty several times of awful individual errors of course). Chelsea's second goal could easily have been prevented if Tadic had been marking Hazard instead of standing watching what was going on, hand on hips.

I don't agree, Dean initially gave advantage and then played it back to the original tackle. He even poits to the place where it should be taken but then lets then take it in the wrong place.

The other occasion when Shane was brought down and then got up and slipped as he took the shot, should have been brought back for our free kick on the edge of the area.

We hve been saying all season we are too nice as a lub and team. When we were voted the best place to go to,tells you what we don't need, it gets us no points.

I don't agree, Dean initially gave advantage and then played it back to the original tackle. He even poits to the place where it should be taken but then lets then take it in the wrong place.

The other occasion when Shane was brought down and then got up and slipped as he took the shot, should have been brought back for our free kick on the edge of the area.

We hve been saying all season we are too nice as a lub and team. When we were voted the best place to go to,tells you what we don't need, it gets us no points.

There were several attempts at tackles on Hazard and personally I didn't think that any of them warranted a free kick but that's not the point as it wasn't my decision. Dean signals for Advantage after the second challenge but that doesn't mean that was where he considered the foul to have taken place. Pointing back upfield just means that once he was satisfied that there was no advantage he had blown for an earlier foul. In any case, a referee is entitled to change his mind at any time before the games restarts and let's be honest, the free kick was taken way upfield and passed out to the wings. The kick was aken from where one of the attempted challenges took place.

Our players weren't ready for it, but they should have been. It's no good bleating like schoolkids "Please Sir, I wasn't ready".

As for Shane, he recovered enough to have a shot and neary score so he can't have Advantage as well. I don't think it was a foul anyway, Shane slipped before he got up and then slipped again and kicked the ball against his other foot.

I read of an interesting "Stat" in one of the papers today (Torygraph I think) that said we made EIGHT PASSES in those 9 mins when we conceded those 3 goals (and 2 of those 8 passes must have been from kick offs after the first 2 goals).

So many players "dropped their heads" and "went missing" after that 1st goal.

There were several attempts at tackles on Hazard and personally I didn't think that any of them warranted a free kick but that's not the point as it wasn't my decision. Dean signals for Advantage after the second challenge but that doesn't mean that was where he considered the foul to have taken place. Pointing back upfield just means that once he was satisfied that there was no advantage he had blown for an earlier foul. In any case, a referee is entitled to change his mind at any time before the games restarts and let's be honest, the free kick was taken way upfield and passed out to the wings. The kick was aken from where one of the attempted challenges took place.

Our players weren't ready for it, but they should have been. It's no good bleating like schoolkids "Please Sir, I wasn't ready".

As for Shane, he recovered enough to have a shot and neary score so he can't have Advantage as well. I don't think it was a foul anyway, Shane slipped before he got up and then slipped again and kicked the ball against his other foot.

The one on Long was a clear foul. Right in front of us. Linesman that end was utterly abysmal, to the extent that my 11 year old son asked me if Abramovich had paid him. 'Yes', I replied.

With one eye on Sunday, as its now Tuesday are we safe to assume that Alonso faces no retrospective action regarding his seemingly deliberate stamp on Long?

Seems as though the FA are still investigating.

Better late than never, but if he'd rightly been sent off I doubt we would've lost (probably won).

The ref should be charge too, for gross incompetence.

That's what narks me with the whole retrospective action , it never usually benifits the team the poor decision was against (we may if Chelsea don't appeal) you could argue **** decisions have cost us 5 points from just 2 games !

Better late than never, but if he'd rightly been sent off I doubt we would've lost (probably won).

The ref should be charge too, for gross incompetence.

Dean will suffer for missing it. They are paid for every game that they take plus a retainer so if/when he misses a couple it will hit him in the pocket.

Doesn't help us tough.

That's what narks me with the whole retrospective action , it never usually benifits the team the poor decision was against (we may if Chelsea don't appeal) you could argue **** decisions have cost us 5 points from just 2 games !
Exactly, don't you wish VAR was used routinely already.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk