Would you keep Hughes for the Championship (assuming he'll stay and we go down)?

kwsaint

Yes because he'll already have a handle on what we're about and could hit the ground running + will only have agreed if the club demonstrated some ambition.

If the club plays it right then he could be our equivalent of Rafa at Newcastle.

Trying to see it positively a 1 year stint in the champ could get rid of the deadwood and rejuvenate us.

Too early to say. So far his league form has been woeful and much worse than mope. A 100% loss ratio and conceding three goals a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has inherited that defence and the squad as a whole but at least we are managing to score now.

I would, but as replacement for Reed. Bring in a younger manager who will have the enthusiasm to give everyone a lift. Hughes might get our transfer dealings back to normality - no more Hoedt or Carrillo type balls ups on huge money. Centre halves who head it or can cover, midfielders with pace and energy, strikers with movement or genuine ability to attack the ball and wingers with pace who take people on. There are some good players in the lower leagues, let’s have a season of transition with them - they will be inconsistent at first but the club and fans have to stick with them - and look to mount a promotion campaign in year two, if of course Gao is up for that.

Not if we want points. He's averaged 0 points and 3 goals conceded per game so far. Even Pellegrino was doing better than that. I wanted Paul Cook appointed instead of Hughes to keep us up this season and I still would prefer him to Hughes next season to get us promoted. We want a manager with a recent record of success, not recent failures like Hughes and Pardew.

Not if we want points. He's averaged 0 points and 3 goals conceded per game so far. Even Pellegrino was doing better than that. I wanted Paul Cook appointed instead of Hughes to keep us up this season and I still would prefer him to Hughes next season to get us promoted. We want a manager with a recent record of success, not recent failures like Hughes and Pardew.

He's got the strikers firing not his fault the defence is poor , I'd rather see 3-2 losses than 1 nil ones !?

He's got the strikers firing not his fault the defence is poor , I'd rather see 3-2 losses than 1 nil ones !?

We never had 3 consecutive defeats under Pellegrino. We used to draw a lot of games. Hughes hasn't just got terrible results here, he was awful at Stoke too. His Stoke team let in 9 goals against Chelsea this season. Like Pardew, he is a washed-up manager in terminal decline. We don't want a failure like him here if we want to be successful in future. He is just another in a the line of increasingly poor Les Reed appointments. I hope we can get rid of both Reed and Hughes this summer.

We never had 3 consecutive defeats under Pellegrino. We used to draw a lot of games. Hughes hasn't just got terrible results here, he was awful at Stoke too. His Stoke team let in 9 goals against Chelsea this season. Like Pardew, he is a washed-up manager in terminal decline. We don't want a failure like him here if we want to be successful in future. He is just another in a the line of increasingly poor Les Reed appointments. I hope we can get rid of both Reed and Hughes this summer.

Do you not think that the reason we drew so many was because we wouldn't dare try to score a goal ? Draws are no good right now we have to go looking for wins , and his Stoke team finished top ten 3 years on the trot ! :lol:

No, if we are down lets get someone young and ambitious in and do a total rebuild. Hughes has pretty much been dismal everywhere he has been, and is on his way to relegate two sides this year.

I think that this has pretty much been proven to be untrue elsewhere on here. I can't be assed to go looking for the facts and figures but I think you'll find he's had more good than bad seasons. Not saying that I want to keep him, but I wouldn't be entirely against the idea.

I think a lot of the forthcoming seasons are going to be more about the board and players that we retain / buy than the manager to be quite honest. Many people said that any half decent manager could've got us promoted last time around because of the backing and investment we had from the board, and that it was little to do with Nigel Adkins. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but if it is, with solid backing we should be able to get back up quite quickly. Question then, is not about the manager so much, but more about whether the new owner is going to fund it.

Yes, I think it would be good for both Saints and Hughes. For us, Hughes will have had time here to work out who he wants to keep and who he wants to sell (nothing like a relegation battle to show players' true characters) and there won't be that 'bedding in' period where he needs to start changing tactics/philosophies etc.

As for Hughes, he will want to prove (after many successful years in the Prem) that he really is a good manager and can take us straight back up. I can't see him getting another Prem job next season, unless it's a struggling side looking to appoint to stay up like we did, so it would be a good move for him, too.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to pick and choose
That is true, and if we do go down, forget the idea of choosing which players we keep. And forget as well any thought of signings. There want be any: just fire sales to cut Gao's losses.

But if Hughes would stay, I'd take him like a shot. He might just persuade a few players to stay.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Issue we have, to be serious challenger for promotion, you need to have one of if not the best players per position in the league.

McCarthy would certainly fit that bracket, would JwP stay? Long maybe....

Maybe Romeu in the massively unlikely event he stays. Targett possibly.

Errr

Issue we have, to be serious challenger for promotion, you need to have one of if not the best players per position in the league.

McCarthy would certainly fit that bracket, would JwP stay? Long maybe....

Maybe Romeu in the massively unlikely event he stays. Targett possibly.

Errr

That's what's been occupying my mind more and more as survival chances evaporate.

Keepers: Think McCarthy will try to go. We'll be stuck with FF.

Defence: Cedric, Hoedt, Bertrand will probably get moves. Targett will stay at Fulham.

So: Pied, Yoshida/Bedarnek Stephens McQueen

DM: Could lose all of Romeu, Lemina, Hojbjerg, but hopefully not. So Davis +1, maybe Reed

AM: Tadic will get a move. Boufal will try and he's welcome to go. Probably stuck with Redmond. JWP may be loyal, but a good offer could tempt.

Think Sims, Hesketh will be regulars.

Strikers: Gabbiadini wants out, we're stuck with Carrillo, may keep Austin, Long, Gallagher.

Really don't expect any investment.

That's not a promotion team.

That's what's been occupying my mind more and more as survival chances evaporate.

Keepers: Think McCarthy will try to go. We'll be stuck with FF.

Defence: Cedric, Hoedt, Bertrand will probably get moves. Targett will stay at Fulham.

So: Pied, Yoshida/Bedarnek Stephens McQueen

DM: Could lose all of Romeu, Lemina, Hojbjerg, but hopefully not. So Davis +1, maybe Reed

AM: Tadic will get a move. Boufal will try and he's welcome to go. Probably stuck with Redmond. JWP may be loyal, but a good offer could tempt.

Think Sims, Hesketh will be regulars.

Strikers: Gabbiadini wants out, we're stuck with Carrillo, may keep Austin, Long, Gallagher.

Really don't expect any investment.

That's not a promotion team.

Given that we still have a decent $$ incoming pending from the world record fee for a CB, and we'll likely recoup at least £50m from sales this summer and lose those wages, then whoever the manager is should be given the opportunity to build a new team all over the pitch.

If he isn't then I'm done with this club.

Given that we still have a decent $$ incoming pending from the world record fee for a CB, and we'll likely recoup at least £50m from sales this summer and lose those wages, then whoever the manager is should be given the opportunity to build a new team all over the pitch.

If he isn't then I'm done with this club.

My fear is that income will just be used to service/reduce Gao's loan.