Leicester 3 - ? Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Long dropped? Have I missed something and he's injured? (Have been traveling since yesterday lunchtime so this is possible)

I thought Long was brilliant v both Arsenal and Chelsea, constantly running and harassing their defence and creating chances for us going forward. We need players like him in a relegation battle if we are to stand a chance - players who play with passion, determination and give 100%. Where Gabbi and Austin are more intelligent players and better finishers, Long will help to create more opportunities for us and the other two just don't run or work as hard.

Agreed Long has to start

We win this, survival is in our own hands, providing Stoke lose to West Ham tonight.

Win at Leicester, and it's 2 pts to Swansea who we still have to play.

Swansea also have Man City and Chelsea in the next two fixtures.

It's not over just yet... although the walls are closing in.

I'll be surprised is Stoke don't turn West Ham over.

But agree it's not over, but will be unless we can tighten up the defence and just get one win to boost morale.

Same team for me and give them all a b0llocking over concentration. CBs need to be more assertive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think it's all over, down with 30 points (and I'm being optimistic) :

Leicester : L

Bournemouth : D

Everton : L

Swansea : D

Man City : L

I think the semi v Chelsea could get embarrassing. Chelsea decided to play for 20 minutes on Saturday and scored 3. They will be up for the semi as it's all they have to play for. God help us.

Still, at least we can look forward to getting done at home by Pompey next season.

Thanks Saints.....

I think Hughes will be using players in the roles they succeed in best, there is no time for working with players (so to speak). We have watched these guys for a long time now, and we know (just like Hughes) who is best at what. Lets not kid ourselves. Long is best at the game Hughes played against Chelsea and Arsenal, the counter attack approach. This gives him a lot of space to use the advantage he has, pace. This worked well and Long created problems. He even had a goal. I expect this will be the approach against Man City also. However the next 4 matches should (fingers crossed) allow us to have a lot more possession of the ball, and a lot more in our attacking end. This means less space, more crosses, more direct passes into the box, more scraps around the goal, more corners, etc. This is Austin's world and where he shines. Its also where Long tends to disappear as it minimizes his strengths.

That is why I bet Hughes selects Austin upfront. It has nothing to do with how Long has played, he has done exactly what he should have. Its just we have all seen this movie before and there are reasons why he has 2 goals. He isn't suddenly a different player. So no more than you'd want to see Austin leading a counter-attack formation, you really don't want to see Long leading this formation. At this stage you need to play players into their strengths. If Hughes decides to go 2 or 3 upfront, then I'm all for Long being out there (as long as he is ready to go). In fact its a good thing we have two guys who complement each other like Austin and Long.

I think Hughes will be using players in the roles they succeed in best, there is no time for working with players (so to speak). We have watched these guys for a long time now, and we know (just like Hughes) who is best at what. Lets not kid ourselves. Long is best at the game Hughes played against Chelsea and Arsenal, the counter attack approach. This gives him a lot of space to use the advantage he has, pace. This worked well and Long created problems. He even had a goal. I expect this will be the approach against Man City also. However the next 4 matches should (fingers crossed) allow us to have a lot more possession of the ball, and a lot more in our attacking end. This means less space, more crosses, more direct passes into the box, more scraps around the goal, more corners, etc. This is Austin's world and where he shines. Its also where Long tends to disappear as it minimizes his strengths.

That is why I bet Hughes selects Austin upfront. It has nothing to do with how Long has played, he has done exactly what he should have. Its just we have all seen this movie before and there are reasons why he has 2 goals. He isn't suddenly a different player. So no more than you'd want to see Austin leading a counter-attack formation, you really don't want to see Long leading this formation. At this stage you need to play players into their strengths. If Hughes decides to go 2 or 3 upfront, then I'm all for Long being out there (as long as he is ready to go). In fact its a good thing we have two guys who complement each other like Austin and Long.

I see what you're saying, but, we are utterly dreadful at football. I'd use the game plan we adopted for Arsenal and Chelsea. Leicester are much, much better than us (as are all other teams in the league) so we should set up as such.

I tuned in at the weekend at 2-0 only to see all three of Chelsea's goals. Well the good news is I'll be on a flight to Milan for the entire duration of the match against Leicester so can't curse it. If we win, I'll promise to not watch another minute of us play until we're mathematically safe.

The biggest problem is Vardy and Marquez.

Far too good for our Bambi defence.

We dealt with Chelsea really well in the first half, the defensive side of our game was excellent. We just have to keep it up for 90 minutes. Hughes has got us scoring at least but the defence really needs to keep a clean sheet and give them a bit of confidence.

No. Chelsea's is. We're playing at the same time "to be fair"

Which I have never ever heard of happening before. Loads of times you talk about teams having the extra days rest...

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Which I have never ever heard of happening before. Loads of times you talk about teams having the extra days rest...

It hasn't mattered before when neither team was "big" or the " big" team got the extra day.

Rumour is Chelsea moaned about being moved to Thurs for Sky. This was the way to appease them.

I was lucky to have the opportunity to watch Saints training this morning at Staplewood.

Mark Hughes set up 4 cones in the penalty area and he challenged the defenders to stay close to the cones while JWP was whipping in crosses from the right.

Cone number 1 scored twice while cone 3 scores once.

Pretty embarrassing to watch really :/

Yeah - doesn't seem to be particularly bothered, and hasn't been all season, which is a shame because he was quality when he first started to play. Seems to be a bit of an ego by the look of his Instagram posts...

Or maybe he has just been very unlucky with injuries this season....

Back problem= Spineless???

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought as much.

Can't say I'm bothered, doesn't strike me as the sort of player you need when the going gets tough.

Another failed attempt at signing a 'number 10' for us!

Has Lemina ever played asa no 10 for us /

Don't think so, not sure he's that sort. More of a box to boxer.

I don't think we've ever had a decent number 10, always a gap in our side. Made up in recent years because of the pace of Mane etc.

I fear we will lose this- Leicester players will know by relegating us they can get rid of us for good, and Puel will prop up his players as much as he can to try and get one over us and basically relegate us.

If we go down, Puel's standing goes up massively despite him basically having us in relegation form in our last 20 PL games for 2016/17, and an 8th place so luckily claimed because at half time of our final PL game we were like 11th :lol: and we finished 8th due to other results because Crouch even scored in the second half for us to lose.

so yeah, I hope the players on the pitch know the significance of this game. We just have to win, hopefully Hughes can motivate our spineless players more than Puel can motivate his.

Don't think so, not sure he's that sort. More of a box to boxer.

I don't think we've ever had a decent number 10, always a gap in our side. Made up in recent years because of the pace of Mane etc.

Gaston was pretty good at times, probably the best we've had in that position apart from Lallana.

I fear we will lose this- Leicester players will know by relegating us they can get rid of us for good, and Puel will prop up his players as much as he can to try and get one over us and basically relegate us.

If we go down, Puel's standing goes up massively despite him basically having us in relegation form in our last 20 PL games for 2016/17, and an 8th place so luckily claimed because at half time of our final PL game we were like 11th :lol: and we finished 8th due to other results because Crouch even scored in the second half for us to lose.

so yeah, I hope the players on the pitch know the significance of this game. We just have to win, hopefully Hughes can motivate our spineless players more than Puel can motivate his.

Let it go mate, he got a **** team to 8th and a cup final, and now has a previously struggling side well above us whilst we’re about to go down, I reckon he’s probably fairly content with his contribution to the Premier League.

It hasn't mattered before when neither team was "big" or the " big" team got the extra day.

Rumour is Chelsea moaned about being moved to Thurs for Sky. This was the way to appease them.

Doesn't seem to matter viz the other semi, seeing as Man U have to play tonight whilst Spurs played yesterday.

Spurs get 3 clear days rest then a home match. United get 2 clear days rest then an away game.

As I posted on the Chelsea ticket thread, not only am i crazy enough to come over for that game but going to be at Leicester as well. Any Northern Saints or Benjii or others from Tel Aviv going to be at the game?

Hi! I'll be at the cup semi but can't make it to Leicester. I'm sure a lot of the NS will be at both.

Not entirely sure where we're heading before the semi yet but send me a message if you're around.

As I posted on the Chelsea ticket thread, not only am i crazy enough to come over for that game but going to be at Leicester as well. Any Northern Saints or Benjii or others from Tel Aviv going to be at the game?

Hi

Rich, Matt, Keith and I will be at Leicester and the semi; the other northern saints from Tel Aviv will be at the semi along with a load of others. Doing an early dart from work tomorrow but hoping to be in the counting house around 6pm to 6:30 for a quick pint or two

Hopefully see you there or in the ground to say hello

Hi

Rich, Matt, Keith and I will be at Leicester and the semi; the other northern saints from Tel Aviv will be at the semi along with a load of others. Doing an early dart from work tomorrow but hoping to be in the counting house around 6pm to 6:30 for a quick pint or two

Hopefully see you there or in the ground to say hello

I will try to make it to the Counting House as well