Ryan Bertrand - not fit to be captain, a disgrace

davefoggy

The best thing about being relegated is we never ever have to see Bertrand in a Saints shirt ever again. Spineless, lazy, and just general lack of commitment. The way he was laughing and joking with Chelsea players at the end of the game today was disgraceful. He was our captain today and we just lost a crucial relegation match, as fans we are gutted, but our captain doesn't seem bothered at all. Shouldn't be allowed near the team for rest of season. F ucking disgrace

When it went to 2-1 I looked at him to see what he was doing/instructing. The result was pretty galling. He did nothing, no encouragement, no fight, no fire in his belly. That was the moment this meak and mild team needed a leader to put his arm around them and say 'calm the **** down'. But he didn't. He is only captain by default as he's the least 'meak' player, but that's not saying much.

He did well to set our first goal up, but his whole demeanour is really uninspiring.

agree, did well for the first goal to be fair, but overall attitude sucks. I can't forgive him for the scenes at the end. We need fighters now, with passion, and a desire to wear the shirt. Not some West London chav with too many tattoos that thinks he is better than he is.

The best thing about being relegated is we never ever have to see Bertrand in a Saints shirt ever again. Spineless, lazy, and just general lack of commitment. The way he was laughing and joking with Chelsea players at the end of the game today was disgraceful. He was our captain today and we just lost a crucial relegation match, as fans we are gutted, but our captain doesn't seem bothered at all. Shouldn't be allowed near the team for rest of season. F ucking disgrace

He bust a gut to beat his marker, get in the box and set up Tadic for the first goal. One of the few moments of quality from Saints. If he was joking with Chelsea players after the match, not a good look but it’s his old team and some will be mates. And the match was over. Nothing more to be done at that point.

We all know hes good as gone regardless of relegation but to question his commitment is ridiculous. Been one of our best players this season. If he wants to shake hands with a few ex team mates and share a joke then big whoop. Hes not responsible for the shambolic recruitment and im sure hes miffed himself by some of the dross hes had to play with this season

I can't really fault or criticise him for yesterday's performance, I thought he looked more like the Bertrand of old with lots of energetic runs to the byline. Shows how the tactics under MP restricted him.

What I would criticise more is the Club's decision to make him captain in the absence of Davis - Bertrand's clearly not captain material! He's not vocal nor a leader on the pitch (I can't imagine he is off it, either). He's got the armband purely because he's been with us for years and is very experienced. Yoshida should have been captain and should be for the remaining fixtures, should Davis not return.

That's just Bertrand's demeanour, it's no different whether it's Saints, England or whoever before, just the way he is. I think he cares, he probably doesn't really want to be here any more, he wanted out a year ago, but some just want a scapegoat to vent their anger. Bottle it up, get to a game and release it inside the stadium for a change.

That's just Bertrand's demeanour, it's no different whether it's Saints, England or whoever before, just the way he is. I think he cares, he probably doesn't really want to be here any more, he wanted out a year ago, but some just want a scapegoat to vent their anger. Bottle it up, get to a game and release it inside the stadium for a change.

I was there mate, Bertrand annoyed me at the end. Maybe a bit harsh of me to single him out, just so frustrating not to get anything out of the game after we played so well. On to the next game now....

He put in a shift yesterday , and felt the loss badly by his reaction , he lives near the Chelsea training ground , was on their books , so why would he not have a word with friends afterwards because he plays for us , pretty odd if he didn't . He has an unusual demeanour , but so do a lot of our supporters!

Top player Ryan, maybe not captain material, but with our lack of leaders he's the best we've got right now. When he's gone next season some on here will see how good he is.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Was watching him a fair bit yesterday and he was always encouraging the rest of the players... and he was punching the pitch in frustration when it went 2-2. Not the most suited player to be a captain but these comments are well over the top

Was watching him a fair bit yesterday and he was always encouraging the rest of the players... and he was punching the pitch in frustration when it went 2-2. Not the most suited player to be a captain but these comments are well over the top

Yeah fair enough. Over reaction on my part to start this thread, apologies

He was our man of the match against Chelsea. He may not be Jose Fonte but he's the best captain we've got left. Our fans always seem to turn against our best players i.e. the ones Kat and Les want to cash in on next. We got the same rubbish about Mane, Wanyama, Fonte and van Dijk before they were sold, whereas the players who are so poor they know thy can't sell them, like Long, are left unscathed by Reed's negative PR campaigns. It' embarrasing how some of our fans dance so readily to Les Reed's tune. He's a con man.

He was our man of the match against Chelsea. He may not be Jose Fonte but he's the best captain we've got left. Our fans always seem to turn against our best players i.e. the ones Kat and Les want to cash in on next. We got the same rubbish about Mane, Wanyama, Fonte and van Dijk before they were sold, whereas the players who are so poor they know thy can't sell them, like Long, are left unscathed by Reed's negative PR campaigns. It' embarrasing how some of our fans dance so readily to Les Reed's tune. He's a con man.

What a crock of pony. There's been nothing out of the club about Bertrand. People are making their own minds up. It's not some anti Bertrand PR campaign run by that Machiavellian villain Leslie Reed. It's purely down to his demeanour and average performances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are really lacking leaders out on the pitch, it’s been apparent for a while but the way we crumble against teams shows how mentally weak most of our players are. Need a Jimmy Case type character out there, unfortunately Bertrand isn’t captain material but like all our recent captains he is probably investing most of his energy in manoeuvring a move out of the club.

Played well today.

He's not captain material, never has been

Been poor by his standards most of the season.

Is head and shoulders above Targett & McQueen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My view exactly. When he leaves at the end of season, his Chauffeur won’t have far to drive him home after games.

If we had a player capable of a minimum 15 goals a season we wouldn't be in this mess.

Say what you like but for me Bertrand is one of our best players just not captain material.The captain should be a player that gives 110% every game and shouts and cajoles the team to push them, and by his non stop efforts leads by example.

Did you see the game on Saturday? Bertrand was among our best and gave his all.

This is very true. I was watching him intently, including body language at key moments. However, at final whistle a part of me suspected that his matey handshakes with the Chelsea players involved them saying 'see you next season', and would probably put a bet on him going there. Ah well, it will be more money for Gao's sell-off fund before he exits and puts the club up for sale.

Yes but certain fans on here will blame Ryan for being an average captain, rather than let any blame be levelled at those that have weakened the teamsheet to line pockets.

First it was Eric Black, then Redmond, VVD, Pellegrino and now it’s Bertrand.

Stop looking for someone to blame other than the poor running of the club.

you've left out Tadic, who idiots aorund me at away games and a bloke behind me at home games continually blame for everything

Yes but certain fans on here will blame Ryan for being an average captain, rather than let any blame be levelled at those that have weakened the teamsheet to line pockets.

Not at all I blame both. Poor recruitment has put us here but those players who put on the shirt should be busting a gut to win every game can't say it feels like they have this season.

agree, did well for the first goal to be fair, but overall attitude sucks. I can't forgive him for the scenes at the end. We need fighters now, with passion, and a desire to wear the shirt. Not some West London chav with too many tattoos that thinks he is better than he is.

in your humble opinion...

If we had a player capable of a minimum 15 goals a season we wouldn't be in this mess.

Say what you like but for me Bertrand is one of our best players just not captain material.The captain should be a player that gives 110% every game and shouts and cajoles the team to push them, and by his non stop efforts leads by example.

that's a bit old school