We're not finished yet

benjii

We are going to finish bottom of the league. Can't see us getting to 30 points. The way results have been going (WBA winning at Man Utd) I fully expect Stoke to win away at West Ham tomorrow.
We won't finish bottom IMO, but wouldn't be suprised at all if we finish below Stoke. Everyone seems to have forgotten about them.

**** me, we've got a load of wet fannies supporting us. Plenty of sides have come back from worse positions than this over the years. Since Hughes took over we've had a good win at Wigan, the Wigan that beat Man C. We've been woeful at West Ham and have had 2 fighting performances against top 6 sides. If people accept that Swansea won't get anything at City, then it's in our hands. It doesn't matter how poor we've been, it's a 5 game season now. For all the negative posts about the past 2 games, Swansea had WBA away & Everton at home and gained 2 points. They've now got City & Chelsea, time to make them pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** me, we've got a load of wet fannies supporting us. Plenty of sides have come back from worse positions than this over the years. Since Hughes took over we've had a good win at Wigan, the Wigan that beat Man C. We've been woeful at West Ham and have had 2 fighting performances against top 6 sides. If people accept that Swansea won't get anything at City, then it's in our hands. It doesn't matter how poor we've been, it's a 5 game season now. For all the negative posts about the past 2 games, Swansea had WBA away & Everton at home and gained 2 points. They've now got City & Chelsea, time to make them pay.

Yep. I’m not worried.

Quite.

Presumably you don't count yourself among the wet fannies, so out of interest, on a scale of 1 - 10, how confident are you of us avoiding relegation?

It's the hope that kills you! After yesterday's defeat and results that followed, I've spent the last 24hrs convincing myself that dropping to the Champ wouldn't be so bad - overhaul of the squad, cheaper tickets again and (hopefully) a lot more victories. Now, after reading this thread, I can see a way out should we beat Leicester! Never a dull season with Saints.

Hate to burst the bubble, but relegation will probably be a financial disaster and slippery slope, given the invisible man from China who owns us. If Markus (R.I.P.) were still in charge I would be more confident of a quick return if we were to go down (although of course it would be very unlikely we'd be in this mess).

So we have 12 points from the last 60 on offer and you think we will get 12 of the next 15 whilst a team that has lost 2 of its last 10 will implode? So if you think that makes someone a wet fanny then you really are a complete Muppet. If you are so confident of what you are saying put your money where your mouth is. I bet you £1000 we will not get 12 points from our last 5 games? How about it? Or are you just talking **** as usual?

To have any chance we must beat Leicester, that would put us 2 behind Swansea and their next game is Citeh (a) followed by Chelsea and of course they play us too. Hudders and Brighton have some nasty fixtures too so there are chinks of light for us.

To have any chance though we must jangle other team's nerves. Sparky is turning the ship but it takes time, we've just played 2 teams that we all thought we'd lose to but we made a good account of ourselves so the curve is upwards. Must get a payout from a Leicester team with nothing to play for, if we do then everything changes again.

If the players show some balls then who knows. Odds are very much against but hope remains until it's mathematically impossible.

To have any chance we must beat Leicester, that would put us 2 behind Swansea and their next game is Citeh (a) followed by Chelsea and of course they play us too. Hudders and Brighton have some nasty fixtures too so there are chinks of light for us.

To have any chance though we must jangle other team's nerves. Sparky is turning the ship but it takes time, we've just played 2 teams that we all thought we'd lose to but we made a good account of ourselves so the curve is upwards. Must get a payout from a Leicester team with nothing to play for, if we do then everything changes again.

If the players show some balls then who knows. Odds are very much against but hope remains until it's mathematically impossible.

We must give everything we can in the last five games. If we go down, then there should be no regrets on the way we finished the season, as there will with the way we started the season.

Brighton got a total of one point in the corresponding fixtures this season (home draw against Burnley)

i think they will definitely get sucked into the mix, but will manage one win out of those, or at least a draw. Hope they don't though, obvs!

We basically need to win three games

As we move closer to the bottom of the league than the next place above and survival, people think we are going to win 3 games from the next 5

Good luck with that

Quite, I love a bit optimism but there's no substitute for realism.

We must beat Swansea. And a couple of others, but Swansea away is the crucial one.

We'll be down by then if we haven't won one or two before so that's slightly odd logic IMO, although clearly it could be crucial.

Incidentally, Swansea's last match is against Stoke!

We need to get 5 or 6 points from the next three matches to give ourselves a chance.

I think the manner of the last two defeats, particularly the home game vs Chelsea is the reason for such doom & gloom. We didn't really expect to pick up points, even though it was more important to get something following Newcastle & West Ham.

But to have a point or even three within our grasp and still fail to come out with anything is why everyone is now abandoning hope!

Absolute minimum now is 3wins from the 5 games.

Leicester - Possible

Everton - Possible but very unlikely imo. Always a bogey side for us.

Bournemouth - Never try and call a derby.

Swansea - Tough and could well be the deciding game.

Man City - I honestly think that if we need to win this we will.

In all likelihood, fail to beat Leicester and we could be down physiologically.

Leicester - Possible

Sir, I applaud your optimism.

Leicester - Possible

5 wins all season, and we're now hoping to win 3 in 5. :rolleyes: Although I still think if results go our way, we could stay up with 7 points (it is possible Huddersfield won't pick up another point) , but even though we're fighting more I can't see it happening now. We don't have the quality in defence and psychologically that gap in the League is huge now. Utter mis-management by Reed/Krueger et al to keep the utter mis-management of Pellegrino as long as we did. If we'd have brought in a new manager before the transfer window, (even though it wouldn't have been Hughes), I still reckon we'd be out the relegation zone by now, if not higher.

If we stay up now I'll be amazed and delighted but it's easy to be deflated after throwing away a 2-0 lead.

5 wins all season, and we're now hoping to win 3 in 5. :rolleyes: Although I still think if results go our way, we could stay up with 7 points (it is possible Huddersfield won't pick up another point) , but even though we're fighting more I can't see it happening now. We don't have the quality in defence and psychologically that gap in the League is huge now. Utter mis-management by Reed/Krueger et al to keep the utter mis-management of Pellegrino as long as we did. If we'd have brought in a new manager before the transfer window, (even though it wouldn't have been Hughes), I still reckon we'd be out the relegation zone by now, if not higher.

If we stay up now I'll be amazed and delighted but it's easy to be deflated after throwing away a 2-0 lead.

I agree with you, but I cant get the stupid hope out of myhead. I just have a feeling we will do it, but why I do, god knows.

The team must do it at Leicester and the winning feeling then gets them rolling. We are good enough, the whole team who played at Wembley and played that sparkling football are all still there, why cant they get that back with a win

What were the odds that Man U would lose to WBA?

Football isn't predictable and it’s still in our own hands.

If the Leicester players hate Puel as we are told on here, then we should easily win. I expect that they some are happy some not, like most dressing rooms in the league

Forget about Brighton, we won't get anywhere near 35 points. We will go down with WBA, then its between Stoke, Hudds and Swansea.

I really can't see us winning another game this season. We can play well for a half at times it seems, but are entirely incapable of sustaining any level of performance for 90 mins.

We have a fundamental lack of fitness, confidence, concentration, courage and talent.

I would field 8 of the youth team at Wembley, as most of these "first team" bas.....ds certainly don't deserve the game.

this is the crucial thing. it is in our own hands.

Except technically it's not in our hands? We're now relying on other teams to drop points. We can only do what we can, and try to win all our games, but Swansea only need 10 of their 15 points to be totally safe and even Palace who we have a game in hand on only need 9 from 12. 43 points is our maximum return now, even Palace's, who have played an extra game than us, can reach 46.

Points will be dropped by others but they will also be dropped by us, we just have to hope for other teams to slip up and try to not slip up much more ourselves. I still think if we can catch anyone (and it's a big IF as I think we will run out of games) it will be Huddersfield, but we need to beat Leicester for that to happen, or mentally we will be broken.

Pretty good actually. Utd's players had 3 things on their "to do" list. Beat Citeh, get to the Cup Final and slack off for the World Cup. Must be hardly any Utd first teamers not set for Russia this summer.

We need at least seven points from the remaining games, but even then that may not be enough, most of our rivals are already on or near 35 points. Even then we'd be relying massively on the other teams not to win a single game because one win would take them past that target. Don't win at Leicester and things are looking bleak, only Swansea are catchable I reckon and that's clutching at straws. One win for all the teams above and it's relegation I'm afraid.

As we move closer to the bottom of the league than the next place above and survival, people think we are going to win 3 games from the next 5

Good luck with that

We played Arsenal away, and Chelsea at home. The next placed team had WBA away & Everton home. Only dropping 2 points further behind them is a **** up on their part. Let’s see how many they get from city away & Chelsea home.

You do realise that all the teams over the years that escape relegation end up with a better win ratio right at the death than they had done previously. If they didn’t, anyone in bottom 3 in April would go down. History suggests this isn’t the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

It isn't really but if we beat Swansea we gain 3 points on them and if we win all our remaining games we shall finish on 43 points which ought to be enough.

And if i was a premier league footballer i'd be married to Abby Clancy, but lets be honest neither of those things are going to happen

It isn't really but if we beat Swansea we gain 3 points on them and if we win all our remaining games we shall finish on 43 points which ought to be enough.

We won’t be getting 43 points. I will be amazed if we get 33 points ffs

Now Stoke above us.

Last chance saloon on Thursday I suspect. Perhaps the only thing in our favour is Leicester don't have much to play for. Lose that and we're doomed.

edit - apologies Stoke still 19th - W Ham late equaliser lol

Edited by Manuel

We do seem to be the only team that cannot win. We've forgotten how to mentally as we saw on Saturday.

By and large the most likely outcome of all this is that we pick up about 3 or 4 pts at the most from the last five of our games, all from draws.

Sad thing is we've lead in 13 games and won just five.

5 draws from winning positions: Brighton (A), Arsenal (H), Huddersfield (H), Watford (A), Tottenham (H)

3 defeats: Palace (H), Arsenal (A), Chelsea (H)

Now Stoke above us.

Last chance saloon on Thursday I suspect. Perhaps the only thing in our favour is Leicester don't have much to play for. Lose that and we're doomed.

edit - apologies Stoke still 19th - W Ham late equaliser lol

None of our remaining opponents apart from Swansea have anything to play for.

We will lose at Leicester unfortunately. There's just not enough in the tank with this squad. Les has assembled a disaster of a squad and it's a crying shame that he dallied around with sacking MP and appointing Hughes. I've expected us to be down for weeks now...actually months. And this based not on results, but mainly on watching the tactically inept poor performances over and over and over....