Our pitch

ladysaint

I remarked to my sons about the condition of the pitch before the game, remembering how in the old days at The Dell the centre of the pitch would be threadbare goalmouth to goalmouth, and either a bed of sand or mud.

We seem to have had problems all season staying on our feet, I have commented before how Hoedt is often seen sprawling on his arse although he wasn't the culprit yesterday, JWP and Long were better at the Bambi on ice routine.

the pitch has been in remarkably poor condition since about November - did Spurs poach the groundsman along with Poch and that super-scout bloke with the black box encryption codes?

I can’t let that go.

Being in a hugely similar field to the quite excellent ground staff at St Mary’s, they have battled with the worst winter weather since 2003. Record rainfall, 3 rounds of snow and many frosts.

They have to produce spectacular surfaces in the worst conditions and are doing a fantastic job. It’s not just home games, the players train there as well.

I can’t be sure of the exact rainfall figures for Southampton but my own figures where I am showed 137mm of rain for March compared to that of 42mm in March of last year. April of last year saw 4.5mm of rain and April of this year has given us 67mm in 15 days.

Being a groundsman is not an exact science. They can not control the weather. ‘Remarkably poor condition since November’ which coincides with the awful winter, rainfall and drop in temperatures.

More understanding of their job would be good before making a slanderous comment like that.

I can’t let that go.

Being in a hugely similar field to the quite excellent ground staff at St Mary’s, they have battled with the worst winter weather since 2003. Record rainfall, 3 rounds of snow and many frosts.

They have to produce spectacular surfaces in the worst conditions and are doing a fantastic job. It’s not just home games, the players train there as well.

I can’t be sure of the exact rainfall figures for Southampton but my own figures where I am showed 137mm of rain for March compared to that of 42mm in March of last year. April of last year saw 4.5mm of rain and April of this year has given us 67mm in 15 days.

Being a groundsman is not an exact science. They can not control the weather. ‘Remarkably poor condition since November’ which coincides with the awful winter, rainfall and drop in temperatures.

More understanding of their job would be good before making a slanderous comment like that.

Every ground will be struggling but it's safe to say our pitch won't be winning awards like it has in previous seasons.

the pitch has been in remarkably poor condition since about November - did Spurs poach the groundsman along with Poch and that super-scout bloke with the black box encryption codes?

No he went to Liverpool, but we got £2467 for the rest of his contract so the owners will be chuffed.